Finding out about connecting balconies

DoulaAnn

Is there a way on the Princess site to find which rooms have the capability to have the balcony divider removed to connect the balconies? We don't want connecting rooms, just connecting balconies?

Specifically, we are looking at the Royal, Baja or Caribe level mini-suites. Mid aft or mid.

Thanks in advance. Ann

As far as I know all of the balcony dividers have doors that can be propped open. Just ask your cabin steward to unlock it for you. Be aware that the entire divider cannot be removed. It is just a door in the divider that can be opened. It does not create one large balcony, just a doorway to get from one balcony to the other.

Is there a way on the Princess site to find which rooms have the capability to have the balcony divider removed to connect the balconies? We don't want connecting rooms, just connecting balconies?

Specifically, we are looking at the Royal, Baja or Caribe level mini-suites. Mid aft or mid.

Thanks in advance. Ann

Hard to tell at this point... no one is quite sure how the balcony dividers will work on that ship. On the Grand-class ships, the rule of thumb was that cabins that straddled a fire zone (you could tell from the fire doors in the corridors) did not have balcony dividers that could be opened...

Lately I've noticed on the Princess site that if you click on a specific cabin it sometimes says that the balcony doesn't connect to the next one. I do find this info important if I'm booking cabins with friends. That said, I don't know that I would count on that information being there for the Royal Princess because everything is just too new. In general, most balconies have doors that can be opened, but not all of them do.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I have contacted Princess, and they verified all that you have said. I have let my DH and BIL know the situation, so at least they are prepared for it. Putting the ball in their court -- keep what we have or upgrade. Their call. I don't care. Cruising is fun, no matter what.

Ann

• 4 months later...

New Princess cruiser here - cruising with friends on Carribian Princess, and trying to decide whether to book side by side balconies or moving up to one of the premium ones on the stern with the much larger balcony. When the door is open, how much space do you loose on the balcony?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know all of the balcony dividers have doors that can be propped open. Just ask your cabin steward to unlock it for you. Be aware that the entire divider cannot be removed. It is just a door in the divider that can be opened. It does not create one large balcony, just a doorway to get from one balcony to the other.

All balconies do not have doors that open.

There are ones in line with fire doors that don't.

They are few and far between but there are some.

The Royal Balconies look so small, do they have doors that connect to the next?
They are a foot narrower than standard balconies on other Princess ships. They have doors.

It's easy to see where there are or aren't connecting doors. Just look at the deck plans. If there's a fire door indicated, the door can't be opened.

You don't lose any space. the door folds back flat against the remainder of the partition. EM

No space. The door is flush against the divider and secured.

[ATTACH]286599[/ATTACH]

Thanks! We are gonna book at least two and maybe three on Caribe deck!

It's easy to see where there are or aren't connecting doors. Just look at the deck plans. If there's a fire door indicated, the door can't be opened.

I don't think this is true.

I have been on both Crown and Emerald where they have

left a notice that they will be doing maintenance on the

balconies the following day.

Looking out on the balconies during the maintenance, they

had all the partitions opened -- and had stretched hoses

along.

I could see a very long way in either direction. I can't

swear it was the entire length of the ship, but it looked

like it. It was certainly further than the fire-door at

like the 600/700 cabin break.

I don't think this is true.

I have been on both Crown and Emerald where they have left a notice that they will be doing maintenance on the balconies the following day.

For maintenance and cleaning, yes. For the passenger's personal use, no. If one is booking side-by-side balcony cabins and there is a fire door between them, "No" is the answer to whether they (the passenger) can have the divider door opened for the cruise.

Archived