“It’s Been a Lovely Cruise!” Majesty of the Seas 4-Nt Bahamas Review & Pics May 6 '13

After checking out our cabin, we met our Cabin Attendant, Dyre (pronounced "Dye-er” from the Philippines. Sometimes (okay, every cruise) I worry about getting a bad cabin attendant. I must just like to worry about everything, because we’ve never had a bad one. We really enjoyed Dyre. He had just moved recently from the Navigator and had a great sense of humor and personality. We were lucky. We laughed with him many times throughout the week. We asked him to hook us up with fresh ice twice daily and extra towels, and that was all we had to ask him for. He had the coupon books, robes and C&A pins waiting for us, as well as our loyalty gifts. We had a glass bottle of Evian in the suite along with 2 bottles of champagne that we enjoyed later on in the week.

While talking with Dyre, 2 of our suitcases arrived, so we quickly unpacked and slid the suitcases underneath the beds. It took much longer to get the 3rd-it was after the ship had sailed, after 5:30 when we received the suitcase. That was the latest I’ve ever had one delivered and I was getting kind of nervous.

Soon after unpacking, we headed out to explore the ship a little bit. The ship was starting to get very crowded so we went up to Deck 12 to get a little sun before the Muster Drill began at 3:45. It was HOT, so we only lasted about 30 minutes.

I managed to grab this shot from my very own flat screen tv in my VERY OWN ROOM (Big-Time-lol)

115_zps7bcfeb24.jpg

My first view in awhile of my favorite pool deck at sea:

116_zpsbc3badcf.jpg

117_zpsd0c3122b.jpg

Sailaway

(We're going to go with a Song of the Day as well as a Drink of the Day...

Song of the Day (Miami Style): “El Rey Tiburon” –Mana

Drink of the Day: Tropical Sunset (Smirnoff Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Chambord w/ Cranberry and pineapple juice.

After checking out the ship a bit, opening our cash account at the Purser’s Desk (Guest Relations), we went back to the cabin for a few before the Muster Drill. I was hoping being in the RFS would allow us a Muster Station inside, but no such luck. We proceeded (without our life jackets, thankfully!) down to Deck 7, the Promenade Deck, to find our station. We were Station #2, Port Side (left side of the ship when facing forward.

Tip: Port & Left are both 4 letters, that’s how I remember it).

The Muster Drill was very quick and painless since we were in the shade. I despise Muster Drills, but got through it just fine. When the Captain dismissed us, it ended up being one of the only times I heard his voice the entire week. I was very disappointed in Captain Ole-Johan Gronhaug. He almost made no announcements at all, unless I missed them somehow. I really enjoy listening to the Captain’s daily announcements from the bridge. I was expecting 31 year old (ahem) Dustin Catelsky for my sailing, but he was not onboard for some reason.

The worst part of the Muster Drill, IMO, is the walk back to wherever you are going. We should’ve gone further down the Promenade Deck to get to the Centrum, but instead we followed the masses (like cattle) and ended up in a hallway that was backed up as far as you could see. There were people trying to come and go both ways, in a narrow hallway, so I was not thrilled with that. My advice—go another way. I knew better and still went ahead with it. I’ll blame it on the 2 Mango Daiquiris I had just before Muster.

We headed back to our cabin for Sailaway. You will notice that this becomes a pattern with this RFS! We spent a LOT of time in there, on the balcony. Hopefully this review won’t disappoint you as I really don’t do shows or games. I go to relax and enjoy the sun, water, and music for the post part.

I will also be posting each day’s Cruise Compass as I go along. It’s funny-I glanced at a few and realized that some of the shows were very familiar to me-they have been on Majesty for many years!

I used to love Sailaways on the Majesty because they would have the Caribbean band playing, but now they have a DJ a lot of times so we don’t go. We just stay on our balcony. I know, I am a bit of a recluse—you can say it, its okay. HA!

We pulled away from the terminal after a Carnival Ship sailed by, turned in the basin and awaited our lead. Sorry, can’t remember which ship it was-Imagination or Sensation, maybe? Either way, we had a laugh as she was going by, of course everyone is waving wildly between ships and I said “Bye!! I hope you make it back!!” We all cracked up. Sorry to all the Carnival fans for that dig, but I couldn’t help myself. They did, in fact, make it back to port without incident, thankfully.

Day 1 Compass:

MajestyCompassDay1Page1_zpsfe45bf1c.jpg

MajestyCompassDay1Page2_zps97a0eea2.jpg

MajestyCompassDay1Page3_zps89bb7c19.jpg

MajestyCompassDay1Page4_zpsa08bad24.jpg

MajestyStaff_zps9921d423.jpg

Ah, the new Gratuity Procedure.

We were prepared to pay the daily service charge on the SeaPass account if we had to, being in the RFS, but my dad went down and asked if we could remove the charge and pay the tips ourselves, personally. It was not a problem and that is how we handled it.

MajestyGratuity_zpsf2f38ea7.jpg

I work for a very large paint company--take a guess, "Cover the Earth" as an Exporter, so I ship things out of Miami and Port Everglades all the time. I wondered if any of my shipments were on the cargo ships in transit here!

224_zps4c12ad04.jpg

227_zpsd01cc63d.jpg

203_zps5585e8b3.jpg

South Beach:

229_zps5292d571.jpg

230_zps700259e4.jpg

231_zps92dbe286.jpg

After making it out of the channel, the ship started to sway a bit. My mom put on her little patch behind the ear just in case, but the rest of the trip was pretty smooth. Mostly I’ve noticed the motion leaving the POM channel, then nothing more after that.

We had dinner this evening at Sorrento’s—we were not overly hungry so we just got pizza and then salads from the Windjammer. On the bigger ships, we’ve recently taken the habit of just eating at the specialty restaurants, Windjammer and Room Service, no Main Dining Room. Taking all the formal clothes and having a super long dinner in the MDR just doesn’t appeal to us any longer, so we do things this way and have been pleased with it. It’s more relaxing to us.

I am probably in the minority, but I love the pizza at Sorrento’s. I am a huge pizza fan and like different types, and this one hits the spot for me. They usually have a plain cheese option, a pepperoni pizza, plus a specialty. You can also order a pie to be made specifically for you or your group, but I didn’t use that option this time around. Quicker to just grab a few slices.

It was eating here on the first day that I noticed the Freestyle Coke Machine up by the beverage station. I cannot add anything as I don’t really drink soda, but it was there and working, and popular.

The Compass Deli and Johnny Rockets are also located up here on Deck 12 above the Windjammer. We eat at Johnny Rockets at least once when we’re on the ship, and this trip was no different. The Compass Deli I was very disappointed in. I wanted to try a crepe but never saw them offered, and I checked each day. Their food did not look appetizing, either. I used the CD for ranch dressing for my pizza and for their salad bar when Windjammer was closed. That was about it. Both Sorrento’s & Compass Deli are included in your cruise fare.

This evening we listened to the Latin Band, Bamboleo, for awhile and had some drinks in Boleros. Try The Royal Mojito made with Bacardi Limon. They make it well in Boleros. Back in the day, we had a good friend who was the Guest Services Manager Onboard and he introduced me to Barcardi Limon up in the Viking Crown Lounge. I will never forget it and still like to drink that on occasion to this day. We used to sail Majesty before Boleros was added (I believe it used to be Blue Skies Lounge), and it is my favorite addition (besides Sorrento’s!). It’s a beautiful, large area and they always have a great band playing almost nightly. You will enjoy it if you like Latin music.

After Boleros we enjoyed sitting by the pool enjoying the breeze for awhile, until a loud group of drunken men (boys) showed up and were carrying on with each other. I guess I can be uptight regarding this (ONLY regarding this, ha, ha...yeah, right!), but I don’t have much patience for drunk people and swearing, etc. I heard the “F” word one too many times and we took off. This is one aspect that I always worry about on the short cruises, and one of the main reasons we started doing bigger ships with longer itineraries. Really, this cruise wasn’t bad at all, I’m just sensitive to it. I remember when people were more respectful of others and cruising was a bit different, but I got/get over it.

Back to the balcony to read awhile before bed. Tomorrow is Nassau!

The Muster Drill was very quick and painless since we were in the shade. I despise Muster Drills, but got through it just fine. When the Captain dismissed us, it ended up being one of the only times I heard his voice the entire week. I was very disappointed in Captain Ole-Johan Gronhaug. He almost made no announcements at all, unless I missed them somehow. I really enjoy listening to the Captain’s daily announcements from the bridge.

I also really look forward to the captain's announcements. One thing that really annoys me is when he starts talking and everyone else just keeps right on talking. Between ships' PA systems and captains' accents it can be hard enough to understand. When everyone keeps talking it can become impossible to understand. Why can't everyone just shut up for two minutes for those of us who want to listen?:mad:

I also really look forward to the captain's announcements. One thing that really annoys me is when he starts talking and everyone else just keeps right on talking. Between ships' PA systems and captains' accents it can be hard enough to understand. When everyone keeps talking it can become impossible to understand. Why can't everyone just shut up for two minutes for those of us who want to listen?:mad:

Oh, me too. I thought I was the only one. RUDE!!

Tuesday, 5/7/13, Nassau, Bahamas

Day 2

Song of the Day: “Three Little Birds”-Bob Marley

Drink of the Day: Captain's Bahama Mama: Orange & Pineapple juices, hand-shaken to the subtle hints of vanilla and carmelized sugar found in Cpt. Morgan Original Spiced Rum. Topped w/ a splash of Grenadine

(could that description be any longer?!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6A5arNCQQ

I was not even going to get off the ship today, as like many of you, I’ve been to Nassau many times. My favorite thing to do there is hit the Sheraton on Cable Beach and get their day pass and enjoy the beach and pool for the day. Unfortunately, my parents didn’t want to do that, so they won. We got off shortly in the morning around (9:30/10, when the shops open up, and just milled around for about an hour. We went into the grocery store to get a few bottles of this tanning oil we like and can only find in Nassau. We were back on the ship quickly and enjoyed the rest of the day at the pool. It was another hot, sunny day with the high of about 85.

252_zpscc966ed6.jpg

253_zps66cefffc.jpg

254_zps62bc372c.jpg

255_zpsc6484942.jpg

256_zps9065251a.jpg

I tried to get a pic of us under this sign, but the rudeness that went on flabergasted me and I got ticked and walked away. Crazy.

257_zpsd00e60da.jpg

I really appreciate your wonderful blog and all the great pics! I'm also a fan of the smaller (albeit older) ships, and enjoy cruising without all the bells and whistles of the larger ships. These ships are gems, and offer, IMO, a wonderful cruising experience. I love your enthusiasm. Looking forward to more posts!

Edited by KeywestK

Back on the ship...

This day brought a slight disappointment as we went for lunch in the Windjammer. The selection was incredibly poor. I know it’s a smaller ship, but the selection was basically all side dishes. No hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, tacos, nothing. They had a meat carving station and a fish dish, a pasta station, then a bunch of sides. There was barely any salad left, no ranch or balsamic dressing (their containers were empty). A salad was out for me, so I went to look for an Indian Curry. No luck. 3rd option would’ve been the Asian section. Nothing looked good, no tofu, noodle dishes, etc.

I was rather annoyed. Even my parents, who are big Windjammer fans, were unhappy with the selection. I looked around at others’ plates and it looked to me like everyone was eating a bunch of small side dishes. The desserts were very poor as well. It was odd. To not even offer a hamburger seemed a little strange. We are not complainers, but my mom spoke to a head waiter about the selection and he said that most ships are doing away with burgers and hot dogs for lunch in the Windjammer. He said the menu comes from Miami. Which could technically be right, but I’ve never had a staff member not try to help anyway, and rather blame Miami, instead.

I let him know that I am a vegetarian (he was an Indian gentleman) and that it was very difficult for me to find something with this selection, and that has never happened to me before on a ship. No Indian dishes, no thai dishes, etc. Even for others who eat meat, the selection was very slim for a lunch. He agreed and apologized, and said that he would make a couple of burgers for my mom and dad if they wanted them. They agreed. They are pretty simple eaters and like mostly American food, where I like more ethnic dishes. Anyway, about 15 minutes later, the head waiter returned to say that the chef could not make the burgers. No explanation, just that he couldn’t make them. I interpreted that as he WOULDN’T make them, surely they have burgers back there. Anyway, it wasn’t that big a deal, but ironic enough-we passed through there later to grab a dessert during snack time and what was there? Hamburgers, hot dogs, and a taco bar. Funny, eh? All in all not a huge deal, just thought I would mention it. We did not return to WJ for lunch during the rest of the cruise.

278_zps89f23725.jpg

Sorry about the sunblock in the pic, not sure how that happened.

279_zps9fee6689.jpg

281_zpse2896d9a.jpg

Pool Rules...no one follows rules, anymore, right? I'd better stop, I'll make someone mad...

282_zps0fb38058.jpg

291_zpsfe4f062e.jpg

292_zps482f9d19.jpg

After pretty decent naps, we showered and got ready for our evening. We ordered room service to be delivered to our cabin and enjoyed it outside on the balcony. This was my favorite evening of the cruise. We enjoyed a bottle of champagne with our dinner and listened to the live band that was playing on the Carnival ship docked right next to us! They were playing lots of good music—The Eagles, etc. From now I on I will enjoy Carnival's entertainment, but from a Royal Caribbean ship's balcony. Bad joke...

I ordered shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, the linguine pomodoro, and the chocolate soufflé. My mom had a t-bone steak, I believe? And my dad had a fish dish, can’t remember which one, sorry. Everything was very good but the steak was pretty tough, I heard. We enjoyed our dinner very much and also a bottle of champagne as well.

All 3 of us love Caribbean music and the band onboard this cruise was called “One Love”-a group from Kingston, Jamaica. They are EXCELLENT. Great singers, performers, and they really enjoy what they’re doing. They are very nice guys. They began on Adventure, I think, then went to Explorer, now Majesty. I don’t think they will stay on MJ long as they were hoping to be moved back to a larger ship. They are just really good and get the crowd going. RCI has had some really good bands in the past, my favorites being Mega 4/Caribbean 4/Men of Culture and now One Love. These guys are one of the best. If you’re ever onboard with them-go listen to them, you will not be disappointed. The lead-singer is especially good and fun.

This evening at 10, they were playing a Bob Marley tribute in Boleros and then again later on, another segment as well. We went at 10 and stayed for it all. They played requests, got the crowd involved, and had everyone happily singing and dancing away. It was a great time with many drinks flowing throughout the evening. I have a couple short videos I will try to post if I can figure out how to do it. We requested several songs and they played them all and sounded great doing it. “Three Little Birds” reminds me of this evening because One Love played it and made the song last very long, going around to passengers and having them sing the part that goes “Every Little Thing, is Gonna Be Alright!” It was fun and had everyone laughing and enjoying themselves. The bar servers were selling drinks like crazy this night!

This was also the evening of the infamous “Dancing Under the Stars” party poolside, at midnight, but we were too tired to attend as we sailed away from Nassau. I believe there is also the Caribbean Midnight Buffet this night as well, at least there used to be one! We decided to head to bed to get ready for our beach day in CocoCay, tomorrow.

299_zpsd9b09fd2.jpg

300_zpscc2009cc.jpg

Need Another Drink...

297_zps2ab8d746.jpg

Walking past the Shops on Deck 5...

301_zpseee39f39.jpg