Major Alterations...Is This Possible?

This year I have dropped 48 pounds. I have two formal gowns that I love and am trying to determine if it's possible to alter them a bunch. The first dress is a size 14 sleeveless a-line brown gown that I will need to take in to a size 10 and also shorten to a cocktail length. The second gown is a size 16W black a-line strapless number that I simply want to alter to a size 10.

My question is, has anyone had gowns taken in this much and how did it turn out? I really love the chocolate brown gown and finding a replacement gown in that color would be difficult. Thanks for the help! :D

Lisa

A really good tailor could do it. Depending on the cut of the dress, however, they might have to totally deconstruct the dress, recut it, and then construct it again. It might get very pricey. I guess it depends on how much you paid for the dress, how much you like it, and if you have a really good tailor.

Unless a person is very familiar with alterations, I don't know how anyone could possibly give you an honest answer. I think you need a good tailor or seamstress for an accurate opinion.

I've always thought a garment couldn't be altered down more than 2 sizes (I could be wrong). Then you get to the cost. It's not just the sides that need to be taken in, it's the darts (shaping) the hem would need re-doing. It could end up costing you a lot more than buying a new dress.

I once took a dress in to have the sides altered and hemmed. The hem was no problem, the sides taken in would have cost me more than double what I paid for the dress. The dress was lined and sleeveless, so the lining plus the armholes would have to be adjusted. Since I purchased the dress as a final sale (it was around $25) and I wasn't willing to spend $75 on alterations, it eventually made it into the Goodwill bag. $25 down the drain.

Wow...I hadn't thought about the darts and lining. It is a lot more than taking the sides in then. Ok, the black dress is going on the recycle your dress stickie, since it only cost me $40 and can be easily replaced. I have a wonderful seamstress, so I guess I will need to find out from her if it is possible and how much. I also need to figure out how much I am willing to spend on the alterations. Thanks for the quick responses. :)

Lisa

Many many eons ago I had a dress that my mother wore when that I had altered for a cruise. It was an off the shoulder bodice and a full tea length bottom (not a 2 piece though). She was 3 sizes larger than I was. I had the dress remade and shortened. The tailor did a fabulous job. It did cost me $60 but the dress was originally $400 and I loved it. I had a bustier top though (top only) that someone ruined by saying they could take it in more than they could or should have. I pursched the top new to have it taken in. Not the best tailor. So as others have said, they key is to find an really good tailor and assume it will cost you. I think with such a great weight loss success you deserve new dresses:)

Ok, y'all convinced me. Besides the dress I am getting from Marie, I am going to buy new dresses and "recycle" my old ones on CC. I am not doing formal nights on the Alaska cruise, so I have plenty of time to find dresses for January.

Lisa

It so depends upon the style of the dress and skill of the seamstress.

It isn't impossible it might be done but I don't think you'll get the 'best look'.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Well done.

Hope you have very well fitting gowns to enjoy on your cruise. You deserve for your dresses to fit properly after your wonderful achievement.

It is pretty costly...my daughter had altered a dress more than two sizes and it was amazing (for high school theatre)....but to pay someone to do so would be ridiculously expensive...

I was at Lord & Taylor yesterday and some gowns were on the clearance rack..

An Adrianna Papell I liked was 80 ish another gorgeous gown was 77...before the 15% off, and extra 10% if you use your charge card...so....check out some local stores....

Treat yourself and cogratz!!

Bernadette

Pop into a local bridal shop that offers alterations and ask there. I believe 4 sizes is the max they can do before the dress completely loses its shape and structure.

If that doesn't work go to a local high end department store - Saks/Neimans/Nordstrom and ask the sales clerks for the name of a seemstress they recommend and go from there.

The issue of alterations has been addressed, so I'll comment on another aspect of your original post - not being able to find another dress in that chocolate brown color you love - have one made! It won't be as cheap as finding a dress on clearance somewhere, but if you want a color or a style that isn't "in style" or in stores at the moment, take the time to find someone who can make you what you want. Just another idea:D

(I feel your pain on the weight loss- it's a great thing - but I've had to get rid of my entire wardrobe. There are some events/circumstances I am completely unable to dress for at the moment. It's all good:D)

The issue of alterations has been addressed, so I'll comment on another aspect of your original post - not being able to find another dress in that chocolate brown color you love - have one made! It won't be as cheap as finding a dress on clearance somewhere, but if you want a color or a style that isn't "in style" or in stores at the moment, take the time to find someone who can make you what you want. Just another idea:D

(I feel your pain on the weight loss- it's a great thing - but I've had to get rid of my entire wardrobe. There are some events/circumstances I am completely unable to dress for at the moment. It's all good:D)

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Since I still have about 18 pounds to lose, I don't have a bunch of clothes right now. I have enough to get through the work week and casual stuff for the weekends. I did go out and get the upper body layer pieces for Alaska in the March clearance sales and guessed what size I would be. Since they are layering pieces I am not too concerned that I guessed a little larger than I am now.

That is a great idea about getting a dress made.

Lisa

The style and shape that flattered your curvier self might not be as flattering now... just thinking that your 'girls' probably aren't the same size, and you might find the neckline is now near your navel. (Grins!)

Go try on some new shapes -- bet you look great in styles that you never would have considered before. Shorter? Curve-hugging? Structured?

I took tailoring in college just for fun as an elective. I used to sew a lot back in my youth before arthritis took command of my fingers. I'll say this. Not all garments can be successfully reduced several sizes. The simpler the design, the easier a big alteration is.

Just as an example. A patch style pocket, not one hidden in a seam. The pocket will need to be moved. You can't just take in the seam because the pocket will end up in the wrong pace. But if you remove a pocket, especially from delicate fabric, the former seam lines may remain and be very difficult to iron or wash out.

I'm not saying your dress has a pocket, but I used that as an example of how details in the original garment may be difficult to move or change without changing the proportions of the design.

I really liked the idea of having someone make a dress for you in the color and fabric you want. My personal experience has been that it is easier to make a brand new garment from scratch than to try to reconstruct and reduce a garment three or four sizes.

By the way, major applause to you on your weight loss. What an achievement!

Archived