Luggage! Luggage! Luggage!!

Xcitdcruiser

Just remember that the "spinner" bags with 4 wheels take up more dimensional room than those with 2 wheels in the corners. Instead of being nestled in the recess of the bag corner, they stick out. That cuts down on the total useful dimensions available for actually carrying stuff.

One other issue...those spinner wheels that stick out are more likely to be sheared off than those that are recessed into the bag. Ditto with other feet and handles.

As mentioned above, measurements are not just on the compartment portion of the luggage, but on the complete size including every possible projecting part.

Flyer Talker is spot on. The cases with 4 wheels lose their wheels pretty often because they stick out. What I also hated when working in the airport that those cases went everywhere on the conveyer belt leading a life of their own.

It might be a silly idea, but when we did a search for suitcases on the internet ourselves after Costa wrecked one of ours, we found loads of nearly-new big brand suitcases on Ebay. People buy luggage for a once in a lifetime trip and never use it again, or the luggage turned out to be too small or too big. I don't know how often you travel, but if it is very seldom, you could have a look there too.

Well, if I wasn't confused before, i am now!

Carry on

Soft vs hard case. Softer is easier to manoeuvre. Hard case will last longer.

50cm vs 55cm. I want to be able to USE the carry one by putting things in there. Need to ensure the measurements include the wheels / handles.

Big Bag

SOft vs Hard case. Spinner? Size to be max 26''.

I want them to be light. Brand: Samsonite (original desire) or Intrernational Traveller (based on the reviews on this thread). Both have a long warranty should the wheels come off / handle rip etc.

Lucky i have some time to decide... but this WILL be the luggage that will last me my lifetime!

If you have the time, or desire, this is the best site I can find for my lugagge options in Australia. Suggestions welcome! http://www.luggagedirect.com.au/

Wow! You have a huge selection of IT luggage. When I first started looking at luggage I thought I would get hard sided. As I looked more I decided against it for a few reasons. 1) soft sided was lighter weight. 2) hard sided has no outside pockets to stuff a few last minute things into. 3) I remembered my old luggage (from the 60s and 70s) that I had to sometimes sit on to close. Seems to me hard sided would be the same way. Soft-sided is easier to push-shove things so it closes easily.

I bought this first (but in the older model that was not spinner). http://www.luggagedirect.com.au/brands/it-luggage/it-luggage-world-s-lightest-2-piece-luggage-set-black.html I used it for my last cruise and it was great until we were walking through the airport coming home. It was at 20.5 kg and it was tiring dragging it through the airport. So I bought spinners for my next pieces. http://www.ebags.com/product/international-traveller/ultra-lightweight-polyester-4-wheeled-collection-2-pc-luggage-set/251026?productid=10234763 and http://www.ebags.com/product/international-traveller/double-expander-27-packing-case/253797?productid=10242603 (which I did not see on your site).

Good luck choosing!

Cruise Critic board on Cruise fashion and beauty has hundreds of threads on this very subject. Fun to read. Happy KS is a poster for many years that works in a luggage store and she knows her stuff. So many tips to get good deals and workable luggage.

It does come down to what you like and what works for you. For myself I am using a rolling duffel that retailed for about $100. I believe it is 24 inches. The best part is light weight (4.8 pounds) and strong! Large area to pack in. Pocket on front and top for tucking stuff in. 2 large mesh pockets on top and side for organization. Biggest negative is dampness if in a total downpour or rolling through puddles. For years I pack in plastic bags. 2 gallon zip locks keep clean away from dirty and when TSA paws through I feel like it's less intrusive.

So that is my current favorite and I don't load it over 41-42 pounds because that is what I can lift up curbs, carry over the cobblestones, and heft up on the bed packing and unpacking.

For carryon I use a 2 wheel shopping tote by Olympic with a zipper top. It holds a ton. Can be easily grabbed by the cloth tote handles and carried even on shoulder if I just have to. I have a matching totebag with zipper (nylon no wheels) that has a matching purse for a seat bag at my feet and it fits right on top. Easy to find things in and I often put 2 pair of shoes to keep suitcase weight down.

4 wheel suitcases are horrible on some surfaces like rocks, cobbles, sand, thick carpet and sidewalk cracks!! They also find the elevator and transportation gaps way too often.

Black shiny Heys 30 inch. Fell completely and totally in love with it! Gave it away to charity after first trip. #1 won't fit in the car trunk or taxi. #2 I tend to need the suitcase to limit my weight or I just add and add -- that suitcase easily held 90 pounds!:eek: Every touch showed on it (but pledge dusting wax spray takes some marks off). HALF SHELLS those that open to two equal sides with zipper or closure mid case-= they don't fit on suitcase stand and take too much room in small hotel rooms. They need to lay flat all the time. The problem with them fitting under the bed can be solved by leaving them open and leaving stuff in it or tossing dirty laundry in them! TSA can't open them easily either therefore you really wonder where all the stuff went when they opened and tried to close it again.

My biggest piece of advice is control what you take. I pack the same for a month as I do for a week. Color co ordinate and mix and match. 7 TOTAL outfits with a couple of extra tops that fit over black or white pants or skirt.

Have fun and go read the advice on cruise fashion/beauty. It will keep you busy until your trip:D

How well does the hard luggage hold up? Does it crack or break if it is tossed around?

I've had my hard-sided Heys for a few years now and have taken it to Europe twice, Florida more times that I can remember at the moment and a few other places as well. It looks as good as new. I'd buy it again with no problem.

As far as size goes, I checked with the international carriers that I'd be flying. My 20" is a legal carry-on for both Air France as well as KLM, both international and inter-Europe flights. Before I bought it, I printed out the luggage requirements for all the major carriers and made my purchase with the most restrictive in mind. I also measured using all parts that projected from the main compartment, so I knew when I bought it that my 26" was no problem.

One other tip - I find I can't travel without a good luggage scale. Mine is very lightweight and doesn't take up hardly any room but it takes the guesswork out.

• 4 months later...

As I intend to get a 27 to 29 inch spinner, I could use some recommendations for model numbers and manufactureres. The qualities I am looking for in oirder of priority are maneuverability (lugging 50 pounds through airports and disembarking cruises makes this especially important. Build quality is next important quality particuluraly the handle (I often hand other items from the handle to keep two things together. Must come in several colors (I am tired watching my suitcase go around several times before I realize it is mine)Related to maneuverability is the wheel complement. It must be spin easily. ( I have a 7 year old delsey that is very strong but hard to move over uneven surffaces). And finally, it must be easy to secure and not easy to break into or cut.

As I intend to get a 27 to 29 inch spinner, I could use some recommendations for model numbers and manufactureres. The qualities I am looking for in oirder of priority are maneuverability (lugging 50 pounds through airports and disembarking cruises makes this especially important. Build quality is next important quality particuluraly the handle (I often hand other items from the handle to keep two things together. Must come in several colors (I am tired watching my suitcase go around several times before I realize it is mine)Related to maneuverability is the wheel complement. It must be spin easily. ( I have a 7 year old delsey that is very strong but hard to move over uneven surffaces). And finally, it must be easy to secure and not easy to break into or cut.
Well, I would think that THIS ONE would definitely meet all of those criteria. Especially the last one. And the build quality is top notch. One quibble, it only comes in black and silver, but I don't think you'll need colors to spot this on the carousel.

Of course, some might say "But that costs more than the cruise"......

OP

HOW LONG do you want your luggage to last? Are you traveling quite a bit or are you a once/twice a year leisure traveler? Those questions should be answered because they can make all the difference in the world whether you get VALUE out of luggage or just get luggage that can be replaced easily and cheaply after a few trips.

I fly a lot-over 100,000 miles per year, not counting vacations. I SWEAR by Hartmann luggage. It is truly the TOUGHEST luggage I have ever owned and the most practical for my situation. I need dress clothes, a LOT of Levis and Dockers, a couple of nice blazers, some business tops and some t shirts plus about three pairs of shoes-fancy, business and casual plus flip flops.

I have spent a lot of time the last 8 years in and out of Iraq, Afghanistan and Kuwait working. I also must travel to South America 4 times during the "fruit season" for my business. I have flown on more military planes and helos then most of the military has. I have been in MRAP's, Humvees and just plain 4 wheel drives in a lot of weird places. AND I ALWAYS have to drag the suitcase. It has been in the dirt and dragged into helos and onto military planes more than any airline baggage handler would ever handle luggage.

My Hartmann mobile traveler 50" has enough room for TWELVE hangers and I always double stuff up on the hangers. So I can hang up almost everything and it comes out looking very spiffy. There is plenty of space to tuck the undies and t-shirts/tops in there and the shoes stuff into the corners. Even loaded to the max, I RARELY go over the 50 pound limit.

Pricey-yes. But you can find "barely used" and seconds at very reasonable prices on Ebay.

For a carryon-I use a Tutto business case http://store.tutto.com/wide-office-on-wheels/. Room for a laptop, all my "breathing stuff" (I have lung cancer although it is totally contained and has not spread in a year). It will hold a change of clothes, my camera, a portable nebulizer, atomizers, toothbrush/toothpaste, hairbrush and a few other odds and ends plus a LOT of paperwork or books for leisure travel. The case will actually hold 100 pounds ON TOP of it and has a cool bungee cord to hold it all together. I actually dragged a HUGE microwave my Mom gave me 17 years ago on top of my Tutto out to my car at the Kansas City airport. MUCH easier handling than one of those luggage carts plus it didn't cost me anything.

Then I take a small (under the seat small) bag with whatever else I need-passport, paperwork, snacks, etc, etc.

Those two cases have gotten me around the world literally twice. And in and out of a lot of situations that most travelers would NEVER encounter. I have never had anything happen to a Tutto bag (I am now on my 3rd) although #2 is still in decent shape except United lost the handle two years ago so I now have a strap to pull that one. The new one is much easier to pull and United bought it for me. Thank you United-I only asked you to replace the handle.

My Hartmann mobile traveler is showing very few signs of wear even though it has taken more abuse than most suitcases would ever see. I lost a wheel in Kuwait. They had a shop there who repaired it in two days for free.

All depends on what you want in luggage. If I was just going to travel for leisure and fun, the set I bought off of HSN 10 years ago is still VERY serviceable (Pierre Cardin) and is one of my favorite carry ons IF I am only doing a suitcase and laptop case. I also have a 100% leather suitcase that I absolutely LOVE and I know it was NOT expensive in the scheme of things. I just wanted a leather suitcase that was NOT a duffle bag (have a leather duffle also).

So you have to decide how long you want your luggage to last and what the purpose is for your luggage. If just leisure travel, I would just get a DECENT set of luggage but NOT spend a fortune. Replace as needed. If you are a hardcore traveler, Hartmann luggage cannot be beat.

Well 5 months on i stil haven't made a decision - lucky for me i haven't needed to travel anywhere. I WILL be buying in time for our HM in Feb so I do need to get myself sorted.

OP

HOW LONG do you want your luggage to last? Are you traveling quite a bit or are you a once/twice a year leisure traveler? Those questions should be answered because they can make all the difference in the world whether you get VALUE out of luggage or just get luggage that can be replaced easily and cheaply after a few trips.quote]

Greatam, It sounds you are living a very interesting life!!

I will only be using it for leisure, hopefully once a year. I just want something that will not break apart on me, good value for money. I did decide that the size willbe no bigger that 26''. And most importantly, i need to be able to purchase it in Australia!

And most importantly, i need to be able to purchase it in Australia!
I have heard anecdotal reports that are positive for Antler. Looked at a couple of the brand in a travel shop in the Sydney airport, IIRC - seemed decent, but I had no ability to pick one up and take it home with me.

For once a year travel, you really don't need to spend $$$ - one of the most important things is to give it a thorough examination. Does it feel solid or flimsy? Is the hardware well attached or just slapped together? Recessed wheels and handles will be more durable. Is the fabric of sufficiently high denier?

Wish I knew more about the Australian market. Remember....it's no bargain if it falls apart mid-trip.

I am not as frequent a traveler as some here on the boards , but I travel internationally at least 3 times a year and domestically a lot more than that. I travel for leisure , not for business.

I have a very nice set of soft sided Samsonite luggage which has served me quite well.

I also recommend Kipling , which is made of a very durable nylon . It is extremely resistant and easy to clean and quite attractive. I have one of their roller bags and it has lasted me for years.

It has endured lots and still looks great.

Here is a review of their products:

http://carl.articlealley.com/are-kipling-bags-worth-it-2308194.html

I'm going to paste a post I made on another thread a couple of years ago on my thoughts on luggage. I'm a leisure traveler, not a business traveler. I would probably have a different set of priorities if I traveled for business.

I have a couple of additions I'll put at the bottom. This is what works for me, others mileage may and will vary.

"I always enjoy these luggage threads. It seems there are generally two schools of thought on luggage, 1) it's all going to get torn up so just buy cheap stuff and replace as needed, and 2), buying quality pieces is the only way to go.

I have a feeling the same attitudes are exhibited on most consumer goods that most of us buy, whether it's furniture, clothing, cars, etc. We personally prefer to spend more and get better quality whenever feasible. Of course spending more doesn't always guarantee getting better quality.

There are quite a few factors to keep in mind in your decision, how often you travel, whether you carry on or check your luggage, or a combination, your comfort level with spending on items, etc.

Over the years I've found what works for us in our travels. I'll try to put together what I've learned. I'm sure I'll repeat some advice already posted.

1. As has been previously stated make sure you know the empty weight. This is becoming more and more important with the airline restrictions. Try to get luggage as light as possible yet still somewhat sturdy.

2. For flying, anything over a 26" is probably too big, my 26" can easily carry 60 to 70 lbs if expanded. I always try to keep it right at 48. Also make sure your carry on is not too big.

3. Make sure that whatever you buy either rolls or attaches to something that rolls. Spinners are also a bonus.

4. Make sure your carry on piece has at least one outside pocket that you can access easily for travel documents.

5. Make your luggage distinctive, whether it's the original color or something you add to it such as ribbon, neon handle covers, neon luggage tag, strap, stickers, etc.

6. Take out about 75% of the crap that comes with luggage(those shoe bags, dirty clothes bags, toiletry holders, and other little niceties) and store them somewhere, occasionally they come in handy but most of the time they just add weight and bulk.

7. Determine what your needs are and buy luggage that matches them.

I personally use a 26" Travelpro Platinum that has entirely too many zippers and compartments. But overall I like the way it works and it is very sturdy. I've had it about 7 years and it's still in very good shape. I use a fairly inexpensive Olympia 21" carry on which is laid out perfectly. The quality is a little weak on the handle but since I'm the only one that uses it it's working fine so far.

When what I have wears out I'll get what my wife has, a 26" Rimowa, which I see no one has mentioned on this thread. It is some of the lightest luggage available and the wheels are such good quality that it practically rolls itself. Easily as expensive as Tumi, Hartmann or Briggs & Riley but worth every penny.

I personally like luggage and always like to look at it in the stores. It reminds me of going somewhere.

Since I wrote this I have retired the Travelpro and purchased the 29" Rimowa Salsa Deluxe. Their 29" is the same size as my 26" Travelpro. These must be the easiest suitcases on the planet to roll. Now my wife wants a 29". I also have a Briggs & Riley garment bag that I use for our longer trips, like our 26 day one coming up.

I'm actively looking for a deal on a Briggs & Riley Baseline 20" Widebody carry on.

Having said all that if I didn't travel much I'd be completely happy with Samsonite, as a matter of fact we have 3 or 4 pieces of it in the back of the closet that we loan to people that hardly ever travel that needs luggage every once and a while.

Since it's in our plans to travel a lot in the future we like to have quality luggage.

Rimowa isn't usually mentioned here because most people are looking for inexpensive stuff. I'm not sure how many people on CC want to spend $550-700 for one piece of luggage. I do covet the Salsa Air line - if I ever needed to buy a new carryon and had the extra money, I'd buy the IATA roller!!!

Just remember that the "spinner" bags with 4 wheels take up more dimensional room than those with 2 wheels in the corners. Instead of being nestled in the recess of the bag corner, they stick out. That cuts down on the total useful dimensions available for actually carrying stuff.

One other issue...those spinner wheels that stick out are more likely to be sheared off than those that are recessed into the bag. Ditto with other feet and handles.

As mentioned above, measurements are not just on the compartment portion of the luggage, but on the complete size including every possible projecting part.

They could break faster because they stand out ..

Just don't be fooled by those phoney 50 and 60 percent off sales. Luggage seems to be sold by some stores in the same way that they sell mattresses. Double the actual price and then offer a 50 percent discount. We have noticed the same in some of the so called warehouse outlet stores operated by one of the major manufacturers.

Archived