CPAP for sleeping

nursinggal

For those of u with CPAP's. does that count towards your luggage? Are there outlets near the bed to plug the machines in or should we bring an extension cord? My hubby and I both use CPAPs.

There is always an extension cord in my cpap bag. I carry it on every trip. No problem on cruises or domestic air flights. if you are flying international, and particularly through UK, you might be limited to one carry on . . . call the airline and ask.

I use one and the airlines have always counted it as a carry on when DW and I fly.

I always take a long extension cord with my in my C-Pap bag and have used it on every cruise.

Sometimes the stateroom outlets are not near the bed, so just as a precaution you both might consider packing one.

Happy Sailing. It's a great way to explore the world!

If you are flying US domestically, it is considered a medical device, not a carry-on and is exempt. Always bring an extension cord. The plug will probably be on the wrong side of the room.

That is the rule . . . But Spirit might try to charge you.

Domestic airlines count it as a medical device so does not count against carry on limits. However, that is not necessarily true on European flights. Many of those airlines require a medical certificate from your Dr.

Since both of you use a CPAP I'd recommend also taking a UL power strip unless your extension cord has double outlets.

Always check with your airlines regarding how CPAP is counted towards your cabin baggage allowance. As NMlady says within the the US you can count it as a medical device in addition to the regular allowance but overseas it is different. We are returning to the US from Copenhagen via London, the flight has an American Airlines number but is on a British Airways plane. BA counts the CPAP towards the regular allowance--not in addition to.

If you plan to use the CPAP on an overnight plane flight you will need permission from the airline and possibly a battery-powered device.

I'm glad to see the people on this thread pointing out that CPAPs are not always "free luggage". One of my pet peeves about CC is so many people state - it is a free extra carry on. The problems this can create for those that believe this can be huge. Imagine getting to the airport with the extra case and needing to shove everything into an already full carryon or worse into your packed suitcase. Then what do you do with the case? I know when I travel my suitcases are already full.

Thankfully I found this out early in the game when I was flying from LAX to Vancouver. Air Canada does not (or didn't at the time) allow the extra bag. I was told that I could fit it in my regular carry on and I would not be allowed the extra.

For those of u with CPAP's. does that count towards your luggage? Are there outlets near the bed to plug the machines in or should we bring an extension cord? My hubby and I both use CPAPs.

You'll probably need an extension cord, as the only outlets are on the vanity. One suggestion I picked up on these boards is to lay a towel over the cord at night. The white of the towel allows for enough contrast in the dark room to prevent tripping over the cord at night. Some people have suggested duct-taping the cord, but then it is in the way all day!

We take a long extension cord with us because the outlets are far from the bed. The cruise line has provided us one before if you contact their special needs Dept but we take one just in case. CPAP does not count toward luggage as long as you ONLY pack CPAP and supplies in that bag. So no socks or anything but medical equipment. We have traveled for years with it and done fine. Have a fantastic trip

We take a long extension cord with us because the outlets are far from the bed. The cruise line has provided us one before if you contact their special needs Dept but we take one just in case. CPAP does not count toward luggage as long as you ONLY pack CPAP and supplies in that bag. So no socks or anything but medical equipment. We have traveled for years with it and done fine. Have a fantastic trip

Again, this is true for domestic flights only and it does not matter what else you have in them. It varies for international flights.

The line in red is incorrect--it is very airline dependent in countries other than the US. We are traveling from Copenhagen to the US on American Airlines coded tickets. The CPH to LHR flight is on a BA plane --BA requires that the CPAP be included in your carry-on allowance not in addition to it.

Our Manchester, UK, to CPH flight is on SAS --they allow the CPAP in addition to the carry-on allowance.

I'm glad to see the people on this thread pointing out that CPAPs are not always "free luggage". One of my pet peeves about CC is so many people state - it is a free extra carry on. The problems this can create for those that believe this can be huge. Imagine getting to the airport with the extra case and needing to shove everything into an already full carryon or worse into your packed suitcase. Then what do you do with the case? I know when I travel my suitcases are already full.

Thankfully I found this out early in the game when I was flying from LAX to Vancouver. Air Canada does not (or didn't at the time) allow the extra bag. I was told that I could fit it in my regular carry on and I would not be allowed the extra.

Searching for the "like" button. I learned the lesson at LHR where security will not screen you until you have one carry on per person. Fortunately, the customs inspector gave me a heads up and I was able to reshuffle things into others in our party carry ons. BTW, one cabin bag meant ONE, no added purse, computer case, or other small personal item.

Many cruise lines will provide you with an extension cord plus distilled water. You just have to request these in advance via special services.

It's just so easy to keep a cord in the cpap bag . . . no problems.

Archived