3AM Rome to FCO Transfer

CruzR887

Our flight is at 6am on a Monday morning. We are bit concerned about a reliable transfer in the middle of the night.

I'd like some input from anyone who has had a middle of the night transfer and about how long before the flight I should arrive at FCO first thing in the morning.

Thanks

Most of the usual suspects here will do early pickups. But, from what I've seen on their sites, they charge a little more for service between 7pm and 7am.

If you are staying at a hotel, you can also contact the Concierge and find out what they recommend. They may know some people that they know are reliable at early pickups. (that is what I did when I worked at a luxury resort - we had several people that we knew we could call).

Is your flight from FCO straight to the US or do you have a connection/layover in Europe? That makes a difference in how early you need to arrive. The US flights have to go through exit controls and security checks in a different building before going to your flight terminal. Those doing intra-Schengen flights only go through security at the same terminal as their flights. Last week, I had an intra-Schengen flight at 10:20am. I walked to the terminal from the airport (the Hilton), checked in around 8:30am (no line at Business class), went to the AZ lounge and had breakfast and espresso - it was free to Business class passengers. Went up to the gate area and did a little window shopping (oh how I wanted to buy some wine!!!), went to the gate and had plenty of time to get another espresso and do some work on my iPad.

I would stay at the Hilton airport. Walk right into the airport. Probably an extra hour of sleep, at least.

Really good idea!!! The OP can still play in Rome and just head to the hotel in the evening. You can do the hotel shuttle back or take the airport train.

We just did this a couple of weeks ago. We had a 6:15AM flight. We used Rome Shuttle Limousine. They had a good price and were scheduled to pick us up at 3:30AM. We I took our luggage downstairs to meet the car, the driver was already there at 3:15. Brand new Mercedes and a driver in a suit. Smooth trip, we recommend them.

I would stay at the Hilton airport. Walk right into the airport. Probably an extra hour of sleep, at least.

I am the opposite -- I'd rather stay in Rome. It's more fun to be out and about the city in the evening. I venture to guess most people who stay at the airport hotel head back rather early, whereas I may be out walking around after a nice dinner until 11:00 at night.

I figure I have an 11-hour plane ride back to the states to sleep....;)

I've had many early flights back to the US and never have had a car service or taxi fail me.

I am the opposite -- I'd rather stay in Rome. It's more fun to be out and about the city in the evening. I venture to guess most people who stay at the airport hotel head back rather early, whereas I may be out walking around after a nice dinner until 11:00 at night.

I've had many early flights back to the US and never have had a car service or taxi fail me.

woah - we almost disagree on something ;)

I did both - had my stuff at the Hilton FCO, but got to play all day in Rome and didn't get to the hotel until later in the evening. I have to feel reasonably competent in the morning to function and 3 hours of sleep doesn't do it. The 8:52pm Leonardo worked for me.

I agree wiht you....I'll sleep on the plane, but I would want my last night spent in Rome not near the airport. The drivers with RIL are EXTREMELY reliable.

I'm in the camp of staying at the Hilton at the airport. Double check the shuttle schedule to be sure the latest they run. Enjoy Rome, then take the shuttle back to the hotel at a reasonable hour, get some sleep and be ready for the long flight home. Sleeping on a plane in daylight hours is not the easiest thing to do, especially if you have a couple of crying babies on board.

I wouldn't be wandering around ANYWHERE AT 11:00 pm with a 6:00 am flight. JMHO

But I do also highly recommend Rome Cabs. They were on time, courteous and a brand new Mercedes van.

I would personally stay in Rome and take the early transfer to FCO as traffic should be reasonably light in the morning anyhow. I'm with cruisemom42 in that I'd want to maximize every minute in the city versus staying near the airport. In the end, there is really no good solution to a 6 am flight so for all the reasons already debated in this thread, I would never book such an early flight home! This flight schedule results in a very limited or shortened touring day in Rome the day before, and you still have to pay the price of a hotel night stay!

woah - we almost disagree on something ;)

I did both - had my stuff at the Hilton FCO, but got to play all day in Rome and didn't get to the hotel until later in the evening. I have to feel reasonably competent in the morning to function and 3 hours of sleep doesn't do it. The 8:52pm Leonardo worked for me.

Well, it was bound to happen, lol. It'd be a bit scary to think there was an exact clone of me walking around out there somewhere.

;):D

I am never reasonably competent in the morning no matter how much sleep I get. Two espressos barely get me functional. I figure I may as well stumble around at 4:00 am as at 7:00 am.

Well, it was bound to happen, lol. It'd be a bit scary to think there was an exact clone of me walking around out there somewhere.

;):D

I am never reasonably competent in the morning no matter how much sleep I get. Two espressos barely get me functional. I figure I may as well stumble around at 4:00 am as at 7:00 am.

Well, since I was staying at the Cavalieri (for free - sometimes the hospitality business has a perk), having to pay for that last night would have been WAAAAAY out of the question:eek:

As soon as I checked in for my flight I headed straight for the airline lounge. I almost sucked the place dry of espresso...

Archived