Westbound Panama Canal: Port of Starboard side?

Gardyloo2

We're planning a Panama Canal westbound cruise next spring. Is there a better side of the ship to be on?

Our TA mentioned the port side was better because that's where the ship docks in ports, but I've also heard that side is hotter because it gets a lot more sun.

Comments please?

We're planning a Panama Canal westbound cruise next spring. Is there a better side of the ship to be on?

Our TA mentioned the port side was better because that's where the ship docks in ports, but I've also heard that side is hotter because it gets a lot more sun.

Comments please?

The direction in which a ship docks in ports has no relation to "port" or "starboard". It depends on other factors, which are beyond the control of the passenger. Also be aware that when you are sailing through the Canal (Caribbean to Pacific) you are actually sailing in a SOUTHEAST heading, not east-to-west. Can't comment about relative sun, since we had an aft-facing cabin on our recent Infinity trip.

cutelittle, you are very welcome.

I know that on our transits of the Canal sailing Westbound we have been on the Port side and I don't remember being bothered by the afternoon sun but maybe others can remember this too as to which side had less sun.

Keith

When we did this cruise we were on the port side and were able to see the "land" side when docked. When you go through the canal itself your ship can go through one of two entry ways and you won't know which one until it's happening. As you're going through the locks you will likely want to move throughout the ship. We moved from the very front to the very back to watch the locks open and close. We also went down mid level on the ship to see the walls of the canal and to get a different perspective.

The port side will face the entry of the Chagrass river into Gatun lake, and it will face Panama City as you head into the Pacific. But, we spent very little time in our cabin balcony anyway. This is really a day to be out on deck. Still one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy!

- Joel

I'm not so sure as to what your TA's thinking is, however as far as the Canal goes, choosing one side over another could cause you to miss a lot as there are things to see on both sides. Depending on your actual route to the Canal, the port side will tend to be sunnier in the morning. Once you leave the Canal heading up to California the port side will get the PM sun. Choose your cabin location based on how you wish to use for the entire trip, not just for the Canal transit:).

Just for an example, there are some items of interest going through the Canal on the port side as noted in an previous post, such as the Chagres River entrance to the Canal and the skyline of Panama City on exiting the Canal. I agree they are worth seeing, but if you are hunkered down on the port side you miss all of the construction for the Canal expansion on the Pacific side. Enjoy!

We have done three full transits of the Panama Canal, and I don't think it matters if your stateroom is on the port or starboard side. There will be a narration of the actual transit which is broadcast in public areas (and also available on the ship's TV). Since the narration mentions the interesting sights on both sides of the canal most passengers are outside on the upper decks walking from side to side.

The other question which frequently arises is whether it is better to transit from the Caribbean to the Pacific or the reverse. In my opinion, this also makes no difference.

Although completely unrelated, we discovered through some other CC threads that one of the few smoking areas on the ship is on the port side right near those cabins and AQ folks who smoke tend to book the cabins in that area.

We don't want to be near the smoking area so we moved our booking yesterday to the starboard side.

Thanks so much for all the input, Cruise Critic is the best!

Although completely unrelated, we discovered through some other CC threads that one of the few smoking areas on the ship is on the port side right near those cabins and AQ folks who smoke tend to book the cabins in that area.

We don't want to be near the smoking area so we moved our booking yesterday to the starboard side.

Thanks so much for all the input, Cruise Critic is the best!

I was just coming into this thread to mention the smoking. The ship is steaming forward so it probably doesn't matter, but I personally wouldn't take the chance either.

I'm not so sure as to what your TA's thinking is, however as far as the Canal goes, choosing one side over another could cause you to miss a lot as there are things to see on both sides. Depending on your actual route to the Canal, the port side will tend to be sunnier in the morning. Once you leave the Canal heading up to California the port side will get the PM sun. Choose your cabin location based on how you wish to use for the entire trip, not just for the Canal transit:).

Just for an example, there are some items of interest going through the Canal on the port side as noted in an previous post, such as the Chagres River entrance to the Canal and the skyline of Panama City on exiting the Canal. I agree they are worth seeing, but if you are hunkered down on the port side you miss all of the construction for the Canal expansion on the Pacific side. Enjoy!

Agree. Best to spend a lot of time outside your room as you go through the canal. The transit from sea to ocean takes most if the daylight of a day. But, so so wonderful. Go out on deck and take it all in. Plenty to see on each side. This is"the" reason to be n such a cruise. Nothing else like it.

Archived