Foie Gras & Caviar

SuzMate

... Are both or either served aboard the Regatta?

Thanks,

Suzanne

AFAIK, foie gras - yes, (real) caviar - no. Someone may correct me on the caviar as I have no craving for it.

There are fewer choices for foie gras now since Jacques (on Marina/Riviera) has eliminated their escalope de foie gras (but they still serve the pate) as an appetizer.

You can get foie gras in the Polo as part of your entre (on op of a ?veal) or just ask for it as an appetizer (as we did) :)

It's a real treat for us Californians as foie gras is now illegal in the state

... Are both or either served aboard the Regatta?

Thanks,

Suzanne

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Both have appeared but if they're the most important element of a cruise for you they're not frequent features. I'm sure there will be many other elements of an O cruise you will enjoy.

In a little over 2 weeks we will be back on the Riviera.

We are remembering how delicious all the food was!

I just looked at the online menu for Jacques and they have

"Duck Foie Gras Terrine with Quince Jelly and Toasted Brioche" as well as "Artichoke Salad over Thinly Sliced Foie Gras with Périgord Black Truffle Vinaigrette" as appetizers.

Has anyone had either one?

We're getting excited about our cruise...Rome to Barcelona. We booked the same Oceania Suite we had last year.

We've had the Terrine which is excellent but the typical pâté presentation.

P1000394.jpg

The Artichoke Salad replaces a cassoulet de foie gras that was one of our absolute favorites. We have not sampled the salad yet but this is a photograph of that dish, being served at a press luncheon on the Riviera:

oceania_riviera-20-640x959.jpg All that said, we are slightly hijacking this thread, because the OP was inquiring about Regatta, on which Jacques does not exist.

In answer to that question, both caviar and foie gras can be counted on to appear occasionally on the Grand Dining Room Menu, and foie gras is always featured in Polo.

I just looked at the online menu for Jacques and they have

"Duck Foie Gras Terrine with Quince Jelly and Toasted Brioche" as well as "Artichoke Salad over Thinly Sliced Foie Gras with Périgord Black Truffle Vinaigrette" as appetizers.

Has anyone had either one?

While the Terrine is very good (see the picture by J&S) it is but a (poor) substitute for the escalope de foie gras (which they used to have :()

I am definitely not an expert on caviar, as I don't care for it, but the fish roe that is sometimes served is not what I would call Beluga caviar; whereas foie gras (when available) IS foie gras.

OK, let's get real here, people. The caviar served on Oceania (and Regent) is not Russian or Iranian Beluga (the price is ridiculous and it's endangered) but it is real sturgeon caviar. There is some wonderful sustainable sturgeon osetra and sevruga caviar being produced in the U.S. and France. (And actually paddlefish caviar is surprisingly good.) Delicious on thin white toast on its own or with a little squeeze of lemon, or if served with blinis a touch of sour cream. Never chopped egg or onion. Oh, and served with chilled champagne or, my favorite, vodka straight out of the freezer in a small frozen vodka glass (not obtainable on Oceania, but asked for a vodka martina in a pre-chilled glass straight up with no vermouth).

What I would call "fake" caviar is the dark black stuff called "Lumpfish Caviar" which you can get relatively cheaply is a supermarket and is edible only when mixed with sour cream or chopped egg, onions and lemon juice.

And then there's the incredibly salty "red caviar" from salmon, which is close to being ok in very small quantities in am omelette or as sushi or on top of a smoked salmon canape.

OK, let's get real here, people. The caviar served on Oceania (and Regent) is not Russian or Iranian Beluga (the price is ridiculous and it's endangered) but it is real sturgeon caviar. There is some wonderful sustainable sturgeon osetra and sevruga caviar being produced in the U.S. and France. (And actually paddlefish caviar is surprisingly good.) Delicious on thin white toast on its own or with a little squeeze of lemon, or if served with blinis a touch of sour cream. Never chopped egg or onion. Oh, and served with chilled champagne or, my favorite, vodka straight out of the freezer in a small frozen vodka glass (not obtainable on Oceania, but asked for a vodka martina in a pre-chilled glass straight up with no vermouth).

What I would call "fake" caviar is the dark black stuff called "Lumpfish Caviar" which you can get relatively cheaply is a supermarket and is edible only when mixed with sour cream or chopped egg, onions and lemon juice.

And then there's the incredibly salty "red caviar" from salmon, which is close to being ok in very small quantities in am omelette or as sushi or on top of a smoked salmon canape.

Thank you - good to know though I am not likely to have any :)

Why? They serve it as part of the regular menu on the second and next to last nights in the GDR and at Jacques, and I believe at the Polo Grill too. Also on the Most expensive menu at La Reserve.

Why? They serve it as part of the regular menu on the second and next to last nights in the GDR and at Jacques, and I believe at the Polo Grill too. Also on the Most expensive menu at La Reserve.
Sir: Liked your summary, and appreciate your paddlefish reference. At Zabar's in NYC, 2 ozs. are $45, and the taste,with the proper accompaniments, is very good indeed.

I wonder, is caviar an option on board--as the premium wines are?If it is, and its Iranian/Russian, it will be hideously expensive--which it is at retail.

I believe it was also available at the Grand Brunch Buffet on our Marina cruise.

It's an acquired taste and I haven't acquired it as yet - something about old dogs and new tricks :D

I believe it was also available at the Grand Brunch Buffet on our Marina cruise.

It's an acquired taste and I haven't acquired it as yet - something about old dogs and new tricks :D

I agree with you Paul...Don't even get me on Foie Gras:eek:

Try a little caviar on a blini with a tab of sour cream, washed down with a glass of champagne or chilled vodka.

Re Foie Gras, the cold pate de foie gras spread on thin toast is like butter. Pan fried or grilled Foie Gras is indeed more daunting to many palates....

(if neither works for you, well then, more for the rest of us!)

Couldn't have said it better........JPR

Try a little caviar on a blini with a tab of sour cream, washed down with a glass of champagne or chilled vodka.

Re Foie Gras, Pan fried or grilled Foie Gras is indeed more daunting to many palates....

(if neither works for you, well then, more for the rest of us!)

Rick

We just got back from the Atlantic crossing from Bora Bora to Lima.Had a fantastic time and as we expected the food was amazing.The Foie Gras appetizer at Jacques was delicious.I would have had it every night if not for dietary considerations!!!

Have a great trip!

We had fois gras in the MDR that was the real thing. One lady thought it looked a bit too real. And once an item was supposed to be garnished with caviar, I think I saw 3 tiny read roe on the top. A few years ago, but maybe they are still served. :)

Archived