What's changed

iggy's mom

Griller's post had a negative tone, but hey, he's right.

So, in what way has Princess IMPROVED over the last 6 years then?

IC and Alfredo's Pizza. Alfredo's is soooooooooo much better than that pizza on Lido deck. We had it on Sea Princess (Cafe Corniche) and the pizza was a zillion times better than we had on Star Princess. I LOVE the smoking policy change.

Edited by Thrak

Princess could fix 2 of the 3 things you mention by putting more power outlets in, and having better coffee freely available.

I must admit I take a power strip for my laptop, camera charger, phone charger, but no high current drain devices.

Don't see what could be done about the curling tongs or hair crimpers etc though.

Taking my favourite ground coffee and a cafetiere on Ocean P. next week. No fire risk with that, get the hot water from the buffet.

I agree. In this day and age where they can put all kinds of amusement park rides on a cruise ship, adding extra outlets and a night light in the bathroom isn't rocket science. The point I was trying to make is that the old chairs weren't replaced because they were a fire hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. In this day and age where they can put all kinds of amusement park rides on a cruise ship, adding extra outlets and a night light in the bathroom isn't rocket science. The point I was trying to make is that the old chairs weren't replaced because they were a fire hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point about the night light, I tend to leave the bathroom light on and the door open a little,Ok as long as the sea isnt rough.

I was on Coral P on a Panama Canal transit a couple of years ago when there was a lot of smoke, seems that someone threw a cigarette overboard, it blew back onto a towel on a blue plastic upholstered balcony chair. What with that blue woven plastic and the 20 knots or so wind there was a big plume of smoke, no actual fire though other than the towel, still worrying at the time.

bravo brian....you nailed it. i like positives much better than negatives and there's so much to be positive about when i'm cruising. a bad day at sea is still better than a good day at work! i think that's how it goes.

cheers

The addition of the Ruby, Crown and Emerald ships to the fleet and the upcoming Royal and Regal.

The addition of numerous roundtrip sailings out of San Pedro and SF to Hawaii, Alaska, and the California Coast that they did not use to have and is very convenient for those of us on the West Coast.

Ultimate ship tour.

Ultimate balcony dining.

EZ air service.

Self-Walk-Off-Disembarkation (or whatever it's called)...

If you don't smoke, then it is a positive change. If you do smoke, it is a negative change. And so it goes for all other aspects of change. Some can handle it, some cannot. We all have different tastes and perspectives and our differing opinions are reflected here. Each individual will form their own opinion as they take their cruise.

Some enjoy their cruises, some don't. If they are relating their personal experience whether good or bad, they should not be criticized for it.:)

:D True!

LuLu

~~~~

No I think it's cost. I think there is a better chance of starting a fire with all of the power strips...

One of the lessons learned from the Star fire I believe.

... a bad day at sea is still better than a good day at work! cheers

"THAT'S IT!!" - Charlie Brown

Self-Walk-Off-Disembarkation (or whatever it's called)...

Express walk off

Wireless cell phone service (2008)

Zumba classes

Book club

Roundtrip sailings from Vancouver

Ship based in Houston

Ships based in Japan and Australia

Return of summer sailings in the Caribbean

Princess Facebook page

Need we go on? The improvements are endless.

Despite the improvements, the balcony no-smoking policy is a deal breaker for me. I used to enjoy a smoke and a drink on my balcony. I no longer use Princess even though I'm platinum.

But that's OK because we like sitting and having a drink on the balcony without having someone smoke ...

But here is a better reason for no-smoking on the balcony::eek:

fire1.jpg

amen, brother.

• smoking policy
  • captain circle elite level and perks like 10% off boutiques, priority tender boarding, priority embarkation, canapes on formal nights, in room tea, laundry service
  • refurbishment of atria on most ships
  • vines
  • international cafe
  • wifi in cabins
  • addition of sanctuary
  • bon voyage experience
  • improved horizon court layout
  • grand princess - removal of skywalkers and the one5 replacement
  • grand princess - debut of alfredos
  • expansion of crown grill
  • sensible changes to sabatini menu
  • pub lunch
  • greater breadth of itineraries
  • san francisco based ship
  • muts, popcorn and blankets (even though i'm not into that kind of thing)
  • staff and crew and focus on "personal" service
  • upgrades to gym facilities
  • chef's table
  • happy hour drink prices
  • suite and elite cocktail lounge
  • "silent" disembarkation
  • platinum and elite disembarkation lounge
  • reduced daily announcements
  • reduced "junk" mail delivered to stateroom

...i'm sure i've left something out...

zumba!

But that's OK because we like sitting and having a drink on the balcony without having someone smoke ...

But here is a better reason for no-smoking on the balcony::eek:

fire1.jpg

Amen :p For the majority of us this was a very positive, long overdue policy change. Everytime we splurged on a balcony, we were always downwind from smokers, and the smoke curled around onto our balcony.

amen for the new non smoking policy.

the first cruise i took on princess was on the golden. i was in a mini-suite on dolphin deck. having cruised on holland american before the golden, i had a mini-suite and all their balconies are covered no matter the deck. well, to my surprise, non of the mini-suite balconies on the dolphin deck are covered due to the pyramid type of deck structure. all of a sudden, i would find cigarette butts and cigar butts comiing down from the balconies up above. it was disgusting.

i've only booked emerald deck mini-suites since then since they are all covered.

cheers

• 2 years later...
Dining room no longer open on port days for lunch.

Quality of the food has declined, especially beef entrees.

Buffet has also reduced its offerings. It was quite noticable on my Sapphire cruise last summer. Buffet hours are no longer 24 hours.

Entertainment productions have been shorted to 30 minute shows but are now being shown 3x a night as opposed to 2x night.

It may only be on the Coral where lunch not avail IN DINING ROOM, JUST OFF THE ROYAL & NO PROBLEM, THEY ALSO WERE BACK WITH OLDER MENU.

It may only be on the Coral where lunch not avail IN DINING ROOM, JUST OFF THE ROYAL & NO PROBLEM, THEY ALSO WERE BACK WITH OLDER MENU.

To be sure, you are saying that when the ship was in port during the voyage on the Coral that a dining room was open for lunch?

(Embarkation day lunch was not eliminated, only those in ports during the cruise.)

I doubt if the OP is concerned about this, but for the sake of completeness here is one change that I have noticed.

I took my first Princess cruise in 2011. I noticed that in the dining rooms there were several sommeliers hovering around. In the specialty dining rooms, the headwaiters offered their services if any diner needed wine advice, although, ocassionally I would see a somm with a tastevin walk through. Being a wine buff I signed up for two or three wine tastings that were hosted by the sommeliers on "Sea Days." On my next (and subsequent two) Princess cruises I noticed that there were no sommeliers. The Sea Day tastings were moderated by the Maitre d' who "tag teamed" with the various headwaiters.

Personally, a sommelier has marginal value for me. I am able to read a wine list and not have a panic attack if I can't find Silver Oak on it. :D

So, again, I mention this change only for completeness. I am looking forward to my fifth Pricess cruise, next week.

Cheez, dudes, way to spread sunshine. I'm sure after reading your posts, the OP has already cancelled and fled back to whatever line s/he's been sailing on previously. You know, if y'all are so displeased with Princess, maybe it's time to consider other travel options. I'm not trying to squelch dissenting voices around here, but some of you can really suck the air out of this board.

These are all legitimate comments concerning not only Princess but most lines now. We have boards just for this very reason, to get opinions and find out so can be prepared for such changes. If we simply say " all is good and wonderful " why even have a board?

Sailing royal Princess Thursday Oct 1 10 day. This will be our second cruise for 2015 and the last planned for 2015. Normally this would be our 4th cruise if the year with a possible Christmas cruise scheduled. We have cut back our cruises for many of the very accurate comments posted here. Cruising is rapidly becoming merely a land resort cruise that I can get seasick on. If it is the same why bother.

It is now not a fantastic way to travel and vacation that it was for us, but merely another option similar vacation. Not so special when same as land resort.

George in NY former cruiseaholic now almost in rehab ;)

I was just thinking of one area, that can be considered positive or negative depending on point of view that has not been discussed. The separation of classes, yes I said classes! What those in the industry call ' Ship in a Ship. "

Trying to have their cake and eat it too many lines, Princess included, have by virtue of the almighty dollar, separated the cruisers into old time steerage and high class without making it too obvious.

I am someone who in my " golden " years ( okay 65 not totally golden yet ) now elects to spend a few dollars more than past years. I am suite people now, what the h-ll.

I often sail with friends, several of which I have met through the years on cruises. In past years if I elected to take a larger suite and they elected to take a lower category it meant little to our cruise activity. But in recent years suites can have reserved deck space, reserved show space, specials lounges, different dining room and options. Different beach on private islands etc.

I can afford more than several of my friends, I can afford less than some others. On a cruise it never used to matter, now it can.

On Princess the immediate obvious I see, Sanctuary, now sanctuary cabanas. Complimentary breakfast in Sabitini's, private lounge for suite people.

I consider all the extra pay for extra areas and service a negative change. If in a suite I can order full room service meal or have canape's or a bar setup that doesn't effect us all. But if we go up on deck and I can sit in a special roped off area and you can't that becomes a problem. If I can have breakfast in a specialty restaurant complimentary and you can't even pay to do it, that is a problem.

So one of the biggest negative changes in Princess and all the lines through the years is the restoration of classes.

George in NY