Silhouette or Reflection?

BobbyD

Hi, I am a (relatively) experienced cruiser but never on Celebrity. We are looking forward to taking our first voyage on X next March. I have narrowed it down to the Reflection out of Miami (ports include San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) or the Silhouette out of Ft. Lauderdale (San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten). I have never been to St. Kitts but for two almost identical ships (?), is it worth the extra $300 or so to be on the Silhouette?

Are the differences in the ship enough to pay extra? I have heard that the Reflection feels a bit more crowded than does the Silhouette. If anybody has cruised on either or both, I am open to opinions! Thanks so much and looking forward to cruising Celebrity!

Hi, I am a (relatively) experienced cruiser but never on Celebrity. We are looking forward to taking our first voyage on X next March. I have narrowed it down to the Reflection out of Miami (ports include San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) or the Silhouette out of Ft. Lauderdale (San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten). I have never been to St. Kitts but for two almost identical ships (?), is it worth the extra $300 or so to be on the Silhouette?

Are the differences in the ship enough to pay extra? I have heard that the Reflection feels a bit more crowded than does the Silhouette. If anybody has cruised on either or both, I am open to opinions! Thanks so much and looking forward to cruising Celebrity!

Been on both ships at least 4 times. Both have wonderful crews. Reflection does feel more crowded especially in Aqua Class. Is St. Kitts worth the price difference? Not for me, but I don't do the beaches. I would select Reflection, but you won't go wrong with Silhouette. Just off 27 days on reflection and will be doing the same on Silhouette starting Novemeber 18th.

Just curious why Reflection seems more crowded if they are almost identical ships?

From what I read there is an extra deck of cabins on the Reflection that is not on the Silhouette. The passenger areas are the same size so more passengers squeezed in the same space.

Been on both ships at least 4 times. Both have wonderful crews.

Just off 27 days on reflection and will be doing the same on Silhouette starting Novemeber 18th.

I want to hang with you!

Just curious why Reflection seems more crowded if they are almost identical ships?

The key word is "almost".....They have made some changes to the ship...eg. there are now more cabanas on the reflection blocking the view if you are on the lawn deck. The sky lounge is smaller to allow some revenue enhancing sky suites to be added...and the sky lounge is pretty much the only place you can watch the ocean with a drink on a rainy/cold day. They also added more cabins but only added a few more seats in the dining rooms/theater.

we really like the solstice class ships, but we're avoiding the reflection.

Not identical! They added a full deck for AQ and AQ Suites without significantly increasing the size of Blu. This can make for longer waits to get into Blu. On the Reflection TA they offered a very special Speciality Restaurant package for AQ passengers to move some people away from Blu. Cemal, the RM who created the special, told me that it worked as intended. The Sky Observation Lounge is also half the size of the other S Class ships due to the addition of Suites. Makes for a great night club feel, but limits what large events, such as Elite Hour might be held there. What was Quasar on the other ships is a Conference Room Complex on Reflection.

The key word is "almost".....They have made some changes to the ship...eg. there are now more cabanas on the reflection blocking the view if you are on the lawn deck. The sky lounge is smaller to allow some revenue enhancing sky suites to be added...and the sky lounge is pretty much the only place you can watch the ocean with a drink on a rainy/cold day. They also added more cabins but only added a few more seats in the dining rooms/theater.

Don't avoid Reflection. It is really a great ship! They have also expanded the Persian Garden on Reflection added more options including a Cold Room.

Don't avoid Reflection. It is really a great ship! They have also expanded the Persian Garden on Reflection added more options including a Cold Room.

We dislike crowds and waiting in line. We almost always book aqua to dine in Blu..and I've looked at the ratio of seats to aqua passengers which is a good indicator of potential lines....reflection doesn't do so well...in fact they actually added less seats than in their press release according to the ship fact sheets on their web site. Based on posts here, the MD's on board seem to be allowing suite guests to dine in blu at any time, not restricting it to "when space is available"...an additional problem when Blu is really designed to accomodate aqua passengers only. We live in Florida, grill twice a week, not excited by the lawn club and i love the hot glass shows. Overall, we won't be on the reflection any time soon.

Many others love "new", the lawn club and the aqua suites and for whatever reason the additional cabanas they added which further block the view from the lawn deck. Different strokes for different folks, as always.

Just off of the Reflection and I'm glad to say it was pretty good and didn't feel crowded at all, all I can say ghstudio if the other solstice ships are better than the Reflection I can't wait to try one. I agree about the cabanas being a waste of space though.

You've stumbled on a hot button topic on CC, with some very strong views mainly about whether or not the Reflection is still a good experience or not after adding more staterooms. If you sift through the forums, you'll find somme very prickly feelings on the matter. Bottom line, I think (having never been on either ship) is that you should not sweat this. Both are great ships with plenty of great features, plenty to allow yourself to have a perfectly fine time. Pick based on other features, I say.

Had same choice to make and picked Reflection in March. Not sure what to expect but really enjoyed visiting St Kitts. Beautiful vistas while heading to the beach and back with local van service.

No issues at all about overcrowding that I noticed on Reflection although we were not in AQ so can't advise about Blu.

It's a beautiful, brand new ship and it was lovely to enjoy the new layout of the Molecular Bar with the 123 package. And the IPad self-directed art tour.

Great dilemma to have! Enjoy your cruise. :D

We were facing the same dilemma a few months back when we wanted to reserve a cabin for the end of March and we decided to go with the Silhouette because we had never been to St Kitts and we can fly into Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest. I don't know where you're getting your numbers from with regards to a 300 dollar price difference, but from what I just quickly researched, 3 out of the 5 sailings in March are the exact same prices and the March 8/9 and 22/23 only had a 50 dollar difference, comparing different cabin categories between the two ships.

Just to let you know there is a certain large agency that advertises on CC that will go unmentioned that is having a memorial day sale and you may be able to obtain a cabin that will include the free classic drinks package and free gratuities to boot. Best of luck with your decision and if you decide to sail on the Silhouette on March 30, we'll have to enjoy a few beverages together. ;)

If the cost is only $300, price air and hotels MIA vs. FLL before you book. Miami is generally more expensive than the difference between the cruises, it may well be a wash.

Thanks for all your input. I also would rather fly SWA directly into FL rather than do battle in Miami (although that is fun as well).

I will have to hunt for that Memorial Day sale!

We are restricted to cruising on the 15th or 16th of March.

I did Reflection and was happy with it. We booked our Feb 2015 cruise while on the Solstice last week, and had the same issue as you- Silhouette or Refection. By that time, Silhouette will be the only S-class we will not have sailed.

Reflection was less expensive. We booked it.

We also had the same dilemna for our cruise in January. We chose the Silhouette mostly because a: we have never been to St. Kitts; b: we like sea days and the Silhouette itinerary of San Juan, St. Maarten, and St. Kitts has 3 sea days vice the Reflection and the other Silhouette itinerary; and c: flying Southwest to Ft. Lauderdale vs other airlines into Miami or Ft Lauderdale and paying for a cab to Miami port.

Do some comparisons for total cost and the itinerary and then choose. I can't comment on the ships themselves as we have not been on a Solstice class ship yet.

Enjoy whichever one you choose.

Debbi

We also had the same dilemna for our cruise in January. We chose the Silhouette mostly because a: we have never been to St. Kitts; b: we like sea days and the Silhouette itinerary of San Juan, St. Maarten, and St. Kitts has 3 sea days vice the Reflection and the other Silhouette itinerary; and c: flying Southwest to Ft. Lauderdale vs other airlines into Miami or Ft Lauderdale and paying for a cab to Miami port.

Do some comparisons for total cost and the itinerary and then choose. I can't comment on the ships themselves as we have not been on a Solstice class ship yet.

Enjoy whichever one you choose.

Debbi

These are all the exact same reasons we went with Silhouette too! See you in January:)

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Archived