Too much ice in Tracy's Arm

midwest 852

Last week the Oosterdam went into Tracy Arm and got as far as a view of the glacier....too much ice to round the corner and approach more closely.

Same for the Grand Princess last week. We did get a view of the glacier.

When we went a few years ago we got to see the glaciers in Tracy Arm but, alas, no whales. I guess it's a trade off. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Helen

I wonder why they didn't detour to Endicott Arm? It was my understanding that this is what usuallly happens when Tracy Arm is not navigable.

We went to Endicott Arm several years ago on the Zaandam when Tracy Arm was not accessible due to ice, but even then it was slow going into Endicott as there was plenty of ice there as well. It depends on conditions which can change daily. The captain will never put the ship or passengers in jeopardy due to unsafe conditions.

Tracy Arm is nearly impossible to access each year during the early part of the Alaska season, yet HAL continues to put them on the itinerary. It truly is unfortunate, because many new cruisers are unaware of this, take an early cruise and face this disappointment every year.

Perhaps HAL should be more candid about the reality of seeing Tracy Arm this early and plan accordingly..... too bad so many are disappointed, when weather wise it is the norm and HAL knows this......

I wonder why they didn't detour to Endicott Arm? It was my understanding that this is what usuallly happens when Tracy Arm is not navigable.

Yes that's were we went. I really don't care for Tracy Arm, Endicott Arm either.

Made it as far as seeing the Sawyer Glacier last week on the Golden Princess. The scenery was stunning this early in the season.

Yes that's were we went. I really don't care for Tracy Arm, Endicott Arm either.

We went all the way through Tracy Arm last June on Oosterdam and we loved it. It was a fabulous day with wonderful viewing.

Tracy Arm is nearly impossible to access each year during the early part of the Alaska season, yet HAL continues to put them on the itinerary. It truly is unfortunate, because many new cruisers are unaware of this, take an early cruise and face this disappointment every year.

Perhaps HAL should be more candid about the reality of seeing Tracy Arm this early and plan accordingly..... too bad so many are disappointed, when weather wise it is the norm and HAL knows this......

It is not only HAL that is not upfront about their cruise and land tour itineraries. The other cruise lines are also guilty. Same thing happens with the May cruisetours. The brochures might state they are taking the TWT tour in Denali, but it is not available in early May. It is all marketing. Those early cruises are less expensive and if they were upfront about what was and was not included, they would likely get fewer people interested. It is all about Buyer Beware. Whenever something costs less, as consumers, we need to find out why. Like you, I feel sorry for the uniformed new cruisers. Even travel agents aren't always aware of the differences in itineraries depending on the timing. If they don't know the cruiser really has no chance to get it right unless they do a lot of independent research. Not everyone has the desire or time to research. Some just don't know what resources are available.

I have been to Tracy Arm twice, once on a small boat and once on a cruise ship. We were in total awe both times. It remains are second favorite scenic sailing area in AK after Glacier Bay. I would go back in a heartbeat. I am sorry it is not to your liking.

If Tracy Arm is questionable this early they should go to Glacier bay which is much bigger and more reliable.

I was on this cruise and very disappointed in losing Tracy Arm. The cruise line should warn customers of the potential before they take their money.

Doesn't Glacier Bay limit the number of ships permitted in?

It may not be up to HAL.

We were so fortunate to go all the way through Tracy Arm on Oosterdam and really loved it.

Doesn't Glacier Bay limit the number of ships permitted in?

It may not be up to HAL.

We were so fortunate to go all the way through Tracy Arm on Oosterdam and really loved it.

Yes Glacier Bay has limited permits that cruise lines know a couple years in advance what dates and what ships will be allowed to go into Glacier Bay. Because they cannot get into Tracy Arm they cannot just decide to go thru Glacier Bay. Each year less and less permits are being granted just like Hubbard Glacier (which now has fewer ships than ever). I highly suspect that 10+ years form now we will be discussing "remember when we could go to Glacier Bay on the ship? "

Yes Glacier Bay has limited permits that cruise lines know a couple years in advance what dates and what ships will be allowed to go into Glacier Bay. Because they cannot get into Tracy Arm they cannot just decide to go thru Glacier Bay. Each year less and less permits are being granted just like Hubbard Glacier (which now has fewer ships than ever). I highly suspect that 10+ years form now we will be discussing "remember when we could go to Glacier Bay on the ship? "

Two ships per day into Glacier Bay. I was very lucky last year to see it.... we were booked for Tracy Arm and did it. Then when bad weather hit another ship (Princess, I think) could not make Glacier Bay and the Amsterdam was lucky enough to get her slot ... so we got both. Of course we wound up missing Kodiak due to the weather. Cruising Alaska is a real crap shoot - a wonderful experience no matter where you wind up.

Susan

Of course we wound up missing Kodiak due to the weather.

Even worse, we also missed Homer. :( But the dense fog present at Glacier Bay when we entered lifted quickly, and it turned out to be a glorious day there.

Hi

In 2011 I was on the Amsterdam there was lots of Ice in Tracy Bay. I cried at its beauty. I took losts of photo's but had a bad flash card and lost all of them. It was one of the most beautiful places I ever saw. I think we got half way in I saw the Glacier a good distance away. But I did not care. All the ice and shapes and animals was outstanding. Last year i went again and we gor all the way to glacier but they was hardly any ice. Still beautiful. First trip It was like a large glass of ice water 2nd trip 1/3 of ice. tracy Point is still one of my favorite places. Hubbard glacier was iced in first time. Last year perfect. with some major carving. Sitika is my favorite. Going back next year. hoping for ice

Mary

Even worse, we also missed Homer. :( But the dense fog present at Glacier Bay when we entered lifted quickly, and it turned out to be a glorious day there.

Well, I am hoping for Kodiak and Homer next year when I repeat the 14 dayer .... but if not so be it.... it is after all Alaska.

Susan

Archived