Birth Certificates on RCI- Commonwealth of Massachusetts specifically

My hubby is paranoid because the last cruise we took (on Carnival), we almost didn't make it aboard because his birth certificate wasn't the "correct" one. Luckily they accepted one that was issued by the hospital, and we got on the cruise at the last minute! The one he had, we thought was right because it had a "raised seal" and that's what I kept seeing everywhere! But the one we tried to use is a small card size, thick paper, that says "City of XXX" then "Office of the City Clerk".

So his parents ordered us a copy of his state issued one. It says "The Commonwealth of Massachusetts" then "City of XXX" then "Office of the City Clerk" then "Copy of Record of Birth". It has a foil seal and signed by the city clerk. It's 8 1/2" by 11".

Is this the right one? We told ourselves that after this we were going to get passports, but never got around to it and now a cruise has basically fallen into our lap and we have to go in the next few weeks, so we cannot get passports in time, nor take the risk that expediting them will work. We can't risk sending in our birth certificates and not getting them back on time if they do not process the passports quickly enough.

Mine that I have is a small wallet size version that is issued by the state on their colored paper, and I had no problem with that last time with Carnival. Hopefully I won't have a problem with that this time.

Thank you in advance!

That will work fine. Just has to be original, not the thing from the hospital and no photocopies.

Good luck!

It is not "The" original, but AN original. Now he's got ME paranoid. I am going online now and looking at the Mass. vital statistics. Should the Birth Certificate be from "Vital Statistics"? Mine says that, but his doesn't!

That's the one that I used when I got my son's passport, so it should be the correct one.

Thank you. I am still paranoid. More so than when I originally typed this! Sheesh. I think because of our last experience when we legitimately thought the ones we had were accepted copies, and weren't- we are paranoid we "THINK" these ones are acceptable and won't be.

I just ordered a certified copy of his and mine from vitalchek. We may send in for our passports with the forms we currently have.. and if we don't get them in time before we leave then we will have the backups I just ordered.

Thank you. I am still paranoid. More so than when I originally typed this! Sheesh. I think because of our last experience when we legitimately thought the ones we had were accepted copies, and weren't- we are paranoid we "THINK" these ones are acceptable and won't be.

I just ordered a certified copy of his and mine from vitalchek. We may send in for our passports with the forms we currently have.. and if we don't get them in time before we leave then we will have the backups I just ordered.

That's not a bad plan! Really any original (not photocopy) that bears the official seals and stamps will be fine- you are right, you can have a bunch of these of you order/request it more than once, and each one is still " official". One of the reasons it's so complicated IS that each state, county or town can "do their own thing" to make it " official" and you are at the mercy of the person looking at the docs, whether they feel its " official " enough. So your paranoia will never go away till you have a blue US passport in your hand that looks the same for every single US citizen. Well worth doing, for peace of mind in all sorts of scenarios!

Hi, Also from MA and I just sailed in April with that, only difference is I have a raised seal and not a foil one. I also have one of those "index card" style of BCs, think I used that to get my drivers license back in the day. That is definetly not valid for cruise. Honestly, I would be more worried about your wallet size version. I'm glad you ordered one for each of you....:) On a side note, I once got pulled by CBP because my BC is from MA and my DL is from VA - guess I'm the only person in US that moved from one state to another? :rolleyes:

Hi, Also from MA and I just sailed in April with that, only difference is I have a raised seal and not a foil one. I also have one of those "index card" style of BCs, think I used that to get my drivers license back in the day. That is definetly not valid for cruise. Honestly, I would be more worried about your wallet size version. I'm glad you ordered one for each of you....:) On a side note, I once got pulled by CBP because my BC is from MA and my DL is from VA - guess I'm the only person in US that moved from one state to another? :rolleyes:

Interesting! He has not lived in MA since he was a baby! And, neither of us live in the states we were born in!

The way I ordered the BCs will allow for them to arrive in less than 10 days. So we should be good there! Maybe we'll wait on the passports knowing the BCs I ordered from Vitalcheck will be acceptable. Just so we can save that $$ for some drinks on the boat ;)

Why don't you make an appointment at the Passport agency for an expedited passport. If you tell them you are traveling in such a short time frame they may even process it on the spot and you will walk out with it.

Probably the best advice yet. Although it may not be necessary for boarding (or other forms of domestic travel), a passport is by far the best means of ID and will assure no issues with boarding or any other aspect of travel.

Interesting! He has not lived in MA since he was a baby! And, neither of us live in the states we were born in!

The way I ordered the BCs will allow for them to arrive in less than 10 days. So we should be good there! Maybe we'll wait on the passports knowing the BCs I ordered from Vitalcheck will be acceptable. Just so we can save that $$ for some drinks on the boat ;)

I was also born in MA, Somerville to be exact, and I also have the index card type BC that your are referring to. It says "City of Somerville" on the top and has VERY little info on it, aside from my name, date of birth, my parents name and the seal. I haven't used it since 2002, which is when I got my Passport, however, I had used it for 8 years prior to that when cruising, so I'm surprised you had such a hard time. I also used this birth certificate to send in with my Passport application and didn't have any problem. I guess it's a sign of the times.

Why would you want to put yourself through that worry, just get a passport and be done with it, I know it is an investment, but it is good for ten years, and the worry is over!!!

The 8 x 11 birth certificate from MA was fine, you didn't need to waste money and order one from vitachek. The city clerk's office of the city or town he was born in issued that certificate. I know I can walk in and get one for $5 and they will type it up on the spot.

Let me add one little bit of warning that we just experienced on our Freedom cruise a couple weeks ago. They asked me for my marriage license since my name obviously was different than that on my birth certificate. Not only that, since this was my second marriage and the name on my marriage license had my PREVIOUS married last name, I was asked to show my divorce decree!

This was my first time on Royal and not other cruise line ever asked me for this (Carnival, Princess, Holland, etc) but I was asked this time. THANKFULLY I had these two documents in the folder with my birth certificates because I keep all those documents together here at home and grabbed the entire folder.

Needless to say, we are getting our passport cards before our February cruise!

Needless to say, we are getting our passport cards before our February cruise!

As long as you are going through the passport process, it's best to get both the passports cards and booklet. You can't fly between the US and a foreign country using only the passport card.

As long as you are going through the passport process, it's best to get both the passports cards and booklet. You can't fly between the US and a foreign country using only the passport card.

Correct. Passport cards hold little benefit for cruisers over using just their birth certificate. A passport book is needed to get you out of any hassles if you have to fly home from a foreign land unexpectedly.

A driver's license, I believe, as a form of ID will suffice to get on board. However, a passport is usually the best.

You can not board a cruise ship with just a drivers license. You need a birth certificate and a government issued picture ID. You can also board with a passport or a passport card.

From the website...(I know I am not a big proponent of the RCL website, but here is what you need according to the cruiseline)

Cruise Documents

Print This Page

Q: What travel documents and identification will I need for domestic sailings?

A: Please note: Royal Caribbean domestic sailings are all sailings originating and ending in ports located in the U.S., Canada and Mexico including Panama Canal sailings. All other sailings are considered to be international sailings. These include itineraries in Europe, South America and Australia/New Zealand including re-positioning sailings originating or ending in their ports. U.S. citizens traveling on our international sailings are required to have valid passports.

Before Leaving Home:

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. Caution: The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary. These appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

Consecutive Sailings

Guests on consecutive sailings must ensure they have the proper travel documents for their entire cruise vacation.

Passport Requirements

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda.

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to United States.

Card renewal is an important matter. ARC holders (United States permanent residents) with expired cards may be considered "out of status" and may be denied entry / reentry into the United States. If your ARC was issued over 10 years ago, you should check the expiration date printed on the front of the card. If your card is expired, or it is about to expire, you should renew your card before you sail.

If you are holding an old edition ARC WITHOUT an expiration date, you will not be detained from entering the United States but U.S. Customs and Border Protection highly suggests that you apply for a new card before you sail.

For additional information, visit: http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/greencard_renewal.html

International Travel

A valid passport is required; visas are required where they apply. This includes Europe, Asia, Central and South America. For additional passport information, visit http://www.travel.state.gov.

Our Recommendation

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This greatly assists guests who may need to fly out of the United States to meet their ship at the next available port should they miss their scheduled embarkation in a U.S. port; guests entering the U.S. at the end of their cruise; and guests needing to fly to the U.S. before their cruise ends, because of medical, family, personal or business emergencies, missing a ship's departure from a port of call, involuntary disembarkation from a ship due to misconduct, or other reasons.

Guests who need to fly to the United States before their cruise ends will likely experience significant delays and complications related to booking airline tickets and entering the United States if they do not have a valid U.S. passport with them.

For additional passport information visit http://www.travel.state.gov.

I was also born in MA, Somerville to be exact, and I also have the index card type BC that your are referring to. It says "City of Somerville" on the top and has VERY little info on it, aside from my name, date of birth, my parents name and the seal. I haven't used it since 2002, which is when I got my Passport, however, I had used it for 8 years prior to that when cruising, so I'm surprised you had such a hard time. I also used this birth certificate to send in with my Passport application and didn't have any problem. I guess it's a sign of the times.

His index card size one is different than the one I had. His was handwritten, original from his birth year. They didn't take it. Maybe it wasn't "certified"?

A driver's license, I believe, as a form of ID will suffice to get on board. However, a passport is usually the best.

I really don't think that's true. Last time we had social security cards, marriage certificate, birth certificates, licenses......... because his was not the "proper" BC, we almost didn't get on board, and we had our driver's licenses with us.

Why don't you make an appointment at the Passport agency for an expedited passport. If you tell them you are traveling in such a short time frame they may even process it on the spot and you will walk out with it.

Because the closest one is in New Orleans... 4 hours away. We will go to the Post Office to apply. May do expedited. We will see what we decide. That is IF our existing BCs work for the passport application. I assume they will. And the ones I ordered last night are on their way, so in case we do not get our documents back on time we have those as back up.

You will get many answers here about what's acceptable at the port. None here will be checking you in or have seen your paperwork so I would suggest talking with the cruisline to be safe.

You make a valid point about getting your PP with your current BC.

We applied for ours right after 9/11 and the gov refused my wife's BC, one she had used before to board rci ships.

Because the closest one is in New Orleans... 4 hours away. We will go to the Post Office to apply. May do expedited. We will see what we decide. That is IF our existing BCs work for the passport application. I assume they will. And the ones I ordered last night are on their way, so in case we do not get our documents back on time we have those as back up.

How long do you have until you cruise? Within the last 4 months we have ordered new passports for 4 members of my family over a total of 3 trips to the post office. We did not use expedited service or faster shipping, and we received the passports in the following time frame from the date we applied at the post office:

14 days

13 days

15 days

15 days

That was the speed with normal service. YMMV, of course.

Actually a passport card will suffice for us. We are those paranoid people who usually always get back on board two hours before "all aboard". Our reasoning to get the card is so we don't have to carry birth certificates and marriage licenses around with us.

Archived