Embarkation Day Lunch in MDR

aquashores

Strange question , but does the MDR have a child´s lunch menu? Or can you order "plain " food , lol. Yes , one of my 3 kids is a picky eater ( one is very adventurous and has always eaten everything , while one is in between).

Thanks!

Kim

Who did you ask?

We have gotten into the habit of just going to the dining room to see if it is open. A couple of times the concierges did not know that it was open.

They do like to discourage you. Same thing on Princess. I bet 5 people told me the MDR was not open. I went there and sure enough it was open. I just don't get it.

Go to the Lido. The MDR embarkation lunch has limited hours with very limited offerings.

The OP was asking if they could go to the MDR not if they should go to the Lido. I'm fairly certain I've read you say that you always go to the MDR yet you always suggest the lido. There are some of us that would rather poke our eyes out then eat there so why suggest it if you don't even want to go there yourself? Would love to get an answer.

I was surprised that the hours for the Mariners Lunch a few weeks ago on the Veendam were later than I anticipated: 1-2:30. The other days the dining room was open for lunch, the hours were 12-1.

We've been fortunate to have never been turned away from lunch on embarkation day on a HAL ship. We have been discouraged from eating in the dining room on Princess ships--but have made it past the ones who were trying to steer us elsewhere.

I was surprised that the hours for the Mariners Lunch a few weeks ago on the Veendam were later than I anticipated: 1-2:30. The other days the dining room was open for lunch, the hours were 12-1.

We've been fortunate to have never been turned away from lunch on embarkation day on a HAL ship. We have been discouraged from eating in the dining room on Princess ships--but have made it past the ones who were trying to steer us elsewhere.

That is a different time. I've never seen it but would really like to. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

We have sailed a lot under the "Carnival Corp" umbrella, but this will be our first time on HAL. We have a Mariner# but should that be updated with the cruises from the other cruises? Will that qualify for the lunch?

If you have sailed on any other line in the Carnival Corporation family, you are a Holland America 1* Mariner, with zero days of sailing.

If 1* Mariners are being admitted to dining room lunch on your embarkation day, you are eligible to dine there. Sometimes there is no lunch for Mariners that day, and sometimes the lunch is limited to Mariners with more days/stars.

Seems to me to be a very small section of the MDR they use for the Mariner's lunch on the Embarkation Day. One time, when we were 2 star Mariners, we were not permitted to dine...it was limited to 3 stars and above. Seems to vary...cruise to cruise.

We have a Mariner# but should that be updated with the cruises from the other cruises? Will that qualify for the lunch?
Your OnLine CheckIn should show that you are a 1-star, and that qualifies you. If not, contact the Mariner Society.

I bet 5 people told me the MDR was not open. I went there and sure enough it was open. I just don't get it.
We've had that happen too. Also, whenever I've asked at the front desk about the number on board they always say "the ship is full" - even on our recent Prinsendam Trans-Atlantic, where there were about 550 out of a capacity of roughly 800! :confused:

Also, whenever I've asked at the front desk about the number on board they always say "the ship is full" - even on our recent Prinsendam Trans-Atlantic, where there were about 550 out of a capacity of roughly 800! :confused:

Just a thought, and I know it would be an extreme number, but could that difference have been all the cabins were booked, but there were many (many, many) with single occupancy?

Just a thought, and I know it would be an extreme number, but could that difference have been all the cabins were booked, but there were many (many, many) with single occupancy?
I know there were quite a few singles on our deck (Main) but our steward said there were about 100 unoccupied verandah and suite cabins on decks 9 and above.

I know there were quite a few singles on our deck (Main) but our steward said there were about 100 unoccupied verandah and suite cabins on decks 9 and above.

Thanks. I knew I was probably off on that.

Who did you ask?

We have gotten into the habit of just going to the dining room to see if it is open. A couple of times the concierges did not know that it was open.

I did not whom he was at the time I asked but it was an asst dining room manager.

On the Zuiderdam last week, the embarkation luncheon was similar to, but not exactly the same as the menu posted above.

The dining room was very quiet when we arrived, only one couple ahead of us to be seated, and plenty of space--we got a nice six top by the windows looking out at the bow of the Oceania Regatta. We kept running into the couple opposite us throughout the cruise.

Considerably more pleasant than the Lido (we lunched there twice during the cruise--both times to my regret), and the perfect way to set the tone for the cruise.

Question: my husband and I have sailed twice on Princess, once Costa and once Carnival, once HAL. Do we qualify as a Mariner? What are the qualifications?

Even without having sailed on Princess, Costa, or Carnival, the one Holland America cruise would qualify you as a Mariner.

Sailing on any of those lines---any line in the Carnival family---does it.

The number of stars depends on how long that HAL cruise was, possibly doubled if you sailed in a suite and it was after the start of the newest Mariner system, with additional days possible depending on how much you spent (again, if that was after approximately 10/09).

We are 2 star Mariners, and we enjoyed the Mariner's embarkation lunch on our recent cruise on the Westerdam. Please do note that the dining room host will seat you with others who've arrived at around the same time, so if you prefer to dine alone, you'll need to request it. Otherwise, you'll be making small talk with other "newbies" who may be as surprised as you are that they don't have a table to themselves. (But, if you happen to become fast friends over lunch... that's part of the magic of cruising!)

Question: my husband and I have sailed twice on Princess, once Costa and once Carnival, once HAL. Do we qualify as a Mariner? What are the qualifications?

Yes. You are Mariners. :)

Enjoy Embarkation Lunch.

I have never cruised with the Carnival family of ships, but will be traveling with two other couples,my brother and a collage friend. Both of these couples have been on HAL before. Would my wife and I be able to join them at the embarkation lunch, or are we off to lido on our own?:confused:

I have never cruised with the Carnival family of ships, but will be traveling with two other couples,my brother and a collage friend. Both of these couples have been on HAL before. Would my wife and I be able to join them at the embarkation lunch, or are we off to lido on our own?:confused:

I would try. My guess is it won't be a problem.

Have one of those couples go first and give their cabin number. You will be seated with them.

The Costa cruise was 12 days-- from Amsterdam to St. Petersburg and back. We were in a suite; We had a connecting room to the top suite( our daugher and family were in the best suite.. they had 4 & 6 yr olds which we babysitted at night several times. But all of that was in 2008; guess it wouldn"t count. The Carnival was 2005 from NYC up the eastern coast and back. ov cabin. Hal 2012 to Alaska Vo in OV also. The two Princess were OV. Our last cruise 2011was a Disney balcony Western Met( again with the above daughter). The 14 day trip with this daughter and family was around SA but it was on NCL. Am excited about leaving Friday for Canada. Barbara

we boarded the Amsterdam in the first group in Florida in May. When I asked I was told no MDR for lunch with no explanation.

We were on the NA in April, and then too the MDR was not open for lunch on embarkation day. We asked why, and were given no reason, just that they were not having it. We went by anyway, and there was no special group or any such there. I must admit we were looking forward to that relaxing initial lunch, so it was a bit of a disappointing way to start off our cruise.

We went by anyway, and there was no special group or any such there.
Was anyone eating? If so, did you ask to be seated? When you ask many people will tell you that lunch isn't being served there, when in fact it is.

Archived