Xpedition Galapagos problem

drfun48

The injunction has been lifted and the passengers are scheduled to leave early this morning for the Galapagos. The compensation package is very generous even though Xpedition will sail only one day late. We will receive a voucher for another Galapagos cruise paid in full to be used within 2 years, a prorated refund for the one day we missed, and a full day of tours in the Andes this last Sunday. Celebrity has taken care of us with all meals and lodging at the JW Marriott in Quito while this was being resolved. Stay tuned for any developments.

Welcome to CC, and congrats on an excellent result. Enjoy.:D

Hi all,

I just wanted to provide our latest update.

Celebrity Xpedition set sail at approximately 9:15 pm EST last night, following an appeal process entered into with the Galapagos National Park (GNP). The decision on May 26 to temporarily stop the ship from operating in the Park was due to a citation for storage and transportation of frozen lobster tails out of season. The GNP acknowledged the lobster onboard was purchased legally and in-season from local fishermen certified by the GNP; however, the citation was issued as a result of a new regulation stating that lobsters must be consumed within five days after the end of the season.

Celebrity has successfully operated in the GNP for nine years, and has strictly adhered to all rules and regulations, and is pleased to resume this week's cruise vacation for its guests.

As a gesture of appreciation and thanks to guests on this sailing, Celebrity Cruises covered tours and hotel accommodations in Quito, Ecuador, for the additional stay in the city, along with a $125 per person per diem, a pro-rated refund for the two missed days of the cruise, and a 100% future cruise credit for use on a Celebrity Xpedition vacation within the next two years.

Hi all,

Celebrity Xpedition set sail at approximately 9:15 pm EST last night, following an appeal process entered into with the Galapagos National Park (GNP). The decision on May 26 to temporarily stop the ship from operating in the Park was due to a citation for storage and transportation of frozen lobster tails out of season. The GNP acknowledged the lobster onboard was purchased legally and in-season from local fishermen certified by the GNP; however, the citation was issued as a result of a new regulation stating that lobsters must be consumed within five days after the end of the season.

Celebrity has successfully operated in the GNP for nine years, and has strictly adhered to all rules and regulations, and is pleased to resume this week's cruise vacation for its guests.

As a gesture of appreciation and thanks to guests on this sailing, Celebrity Cruises covered tours and hotel accommodations in Quito, Ecuador, for the additional stay in the city, along with a $125 per person per diem, a pro-rated refund for the two missed days of the cruise, and a 100% future cruise credit for use on a Celebrity Xpedition vacation within the next two years.

I would be jumping for joy if I only missed one day (with substituted tours), received a 2 day pro-rated refund, $125 per person per diem, and received a 100% future cruise credit.

Is the credit for the value of the current cruise including flights since most book the 10 night cruise tour? Even the cheapest accomodations booked 2 years in advance for the 10 night cruise tour start at approx $3,500.00 per person/$7,000.00 per couple, and a lot more if booked in a Suite.

Hi all,

While I welcome the news...and I think the compensation is outstanding, I do wish that there was some consistency in compensation when this sort of thing happens.....there is apparently no policy or institutional memory in Celebrity HQ.

Example: Century breaks down in Villefranche on day 1 of a 10+ night cruise.

Celebrity offers full refund plus a credit of 25% of your payment towards a future cruise that must be taken within 1 year and $150 towards any air fare change fees. Yes, that offer was increased based in part due to the ongoing complaints here....but still nothing like a free cruise. Compare that to this compensation. Does anyone in Celebrity HQ ever look at consistency or is each event a start from scratch discussion based on publicity, possible impact on business and so on.

Alas, Celebrity, you cannot ever win the compensation mavens. Be too generous, & there are sure to be those who think that you were too cheap when responding to another incident. Forget that each incident should be dealt with on its own merit; just come up with a set in stone policy, & let the chips fall where they may. That will certainly satisfy the majority..:rolleyes:

While I welcome the news...and I think the compensation is outstanding, I do wish that there was some consistency in compensation when this sort of thing happens.....there is apparently no policy or institutional memory in Celebrity HQ.

Celebrity offers full refund plus a credit of 25% of your payment towards a future cruise that must be taken within 1 year and $150 towards any air fare change fees. Yes, that offer was increased based in part due to the ongoing complaints here....but still nothing like a free cruise. Compare that to this compensation. Does anyone in Celebrity HQ ever look at consistency or is each event a start from scratch discussion based on publicity, possible impact on business and so on.

I do not think you can fairly compare compensation packages on Xpedition (96 person vessel with a very unique itinerary) versus other (much, much larger) Celebrity ships.

Alas, Celebrity, you cannot ever win the compensation mavens. Be too generous, & there are sure to be those who think that you were too cheap when responding to another incident. Forget that each incident should be dealt with on its own merit; just come up with a set in stone policy, & let the chips fall where they may. That will certainly satisfy the majority..:rolleyes:

Truth is...it would be good to have a standard policy and I would be fine with the one used for the Xpedition.

If any Celebrity cruise leaves a day or more late, Celebrity will give you a full refund plus a free cruise of equal value within the next two years plus Celebrity will give you a per diem to cover your additional costs while waiting for the cruise.

Now, I seriously doubt that Celebrity would ever subscribe to publishing that general policy....but that is what they did in this case. Why is this cruise different than other Celebrity cruises?

Agree with you 110% on consistency, but alas, each case will be different.

Much easier to be exceedingly generous with less than 100 people than 3,000 for example. Does not lessen the offer though by Celebrity.

Thanks Celebrity! :)

Truth is...it would be good to have a standard policy and I would be fine with the one used for the Xpedition.

If any Celebrity cruise leaves a day or more late, Celebrity will give you a full refund plus a free cruise of equal value within the next two years plus Celebrity will give you a per diem to cover your additional costs while waiting for the cruise.

Now, I seriously doubt that Celebrity would ever subscribe to publishing that general policy....but that is what they did in this case. Why is this cruise different than other Celebrity cruises?

Do you really believe that a standard policy would be acceptable to most?? And as to why this cruise is different than most, I'll leave that one alone, because if you don't see it now, I'll never change your mind.

It is often hard to have "standard procedure" other than we will compensate each incident as it occurs. Like any accident, automobile, malpractice, etc. no ship incidents are the same and the consequences and costs involved for the 'wronged" individuals (those who were harmed) are the same.

My guess is they have a policy that states (as most companies do) that they will review each incident at the time it happens and look at all the circumstances, etc. and the specifics and then determine what is appropriate at the time. It seems clear to me that in all incidents RCI and Celebrity (granted same parent company) are going ABOVE and BEYOND what is required of them.

The companies could (and some may although they will be slammed for being CHEAP and uncaring) adopt a policy that states we will only provide damages or compensation consistent with the passenger bill of rights.

It is very hard to have a standard policy other than to say each incident will be evaluated on its own merits because as we have seen over the years each incident that happens is different and you really have to look at the facts individually – I agree a ship with 98 passengers (very expensive – once in a lifetime experience) that misses 2 days is clearly different that a ship of 2500-3000 that missed 3 days of 7 days cruise because of a fire. The costs for the 2nd sailing are lower. Again you have to look at the totality of the circumstances with each case.

Sharon

Do you really believe that a standard policy would be acceptable to most??

YES

And as to why this cruise is different than most, I'll leave that one alone, because if you don't see it now, I'll never change your mind.

If you step back, there are many who save for quite a while to take the trip of their dreams, be it in Europe, Asia or the Galapagos. They arrange to take time off from work, perhaps have someone stay with the dog, care for parents and so on. The 14 day Singapore to HKK cruise is no different than the galapagos one.

From a policy standpoint, as well as an objective perspective on cruises, this cruise is no different.

(note: I've been on the Xpedition...best cruise I ever took....but that doesn't change my view that while it's special to me and likely you, it's no more special than cruising the Mediterranean for many others)

YES

If you step back, there are many who save for quite a while to take the trip of their dreams, be it in Europe, Asia or the Galapagos. They arrange to take time off from work, perhaps have someone stay with the dog, care for parents and so on. The 14 day Singapore to HKK cruise is no different than the galapagos one.

From a policy standpoint, as well as an objective perspective on cruises, this cruise is no different.

(note: I've been on the Xpedition...best cruise I ever took....but that doesn't change my view that while it's special to me and likely you, it's no more special than cruising the Mediterranean for many others)

While I agree that there should be a standard policy in place, it should (and would only) be used as a minimum. They should also treat each case on its merits and in the case of Galapagos Islands and the reason why.

I feel that X have done well. Compensating for the cruise is great but they know that people will still need to fork out lots to get there and back, so they also know that some people will not take up the offer.:D

This cruise is very unlike any other product sold though. For example the Asia cruises are not small ship, all inclusive, all excursions included.

While I agree that there should be a standard policy in place, it should (and would only) be used as a minimum. They should also treat each case on its merits and in the case of Galapagos Islands and the reason why.

And therein lies the rub. If they had a standard policy, & yet treated each case on its own merits, you would still have those who say their compensation was not enough.

And therein lies the rub. If they had a standard policy, & yet treated each case on its own merits, you would still have those who say their compensation was not enough.

Yes, and those who say it is too much. At the end of the day, X is a business, has to make profits and needs the best strategies in place to achieve that. The compensation and the 'Good will' that will go with it for this particular cruise is great and they will get that money back and more through loyalty and happy customers (both on and off this cruise).:D

"The Galapagos National Park has cited Celebrity Xpedition for transportation and storage of 12 kilograms of frozen lobster tails in the Galapagos while out of season. Because of this, Celebrity Xpedition’s license that is necessary to enter the Galapagos National Park has been temporarily suspended by the local authority.

Celebrity Cruises will appeal this action with government authorities in Quito, Ecuador. However, we do not expect to have a resolution in time for Celebrity Xpedition’s next sailing, which is scheduled to depart on Sunday, June 2. Unfortunately, it is necessary to cancel the June 2 sailing of Celebrity Xpedition.

We ask that any guests booked on the Sunday, June 2, sailing of Celebrity Xpedition please call us at 1-888-829-4050 in the U.S. and 1-408-916-9001 internationally.

We will provide you with a full refund of the monies paid for your June 2 sailing of Celebrity Xpedition.

We will also provide you with a 50% future cruise credit for another Celebrity Xpedition cruise. The credit is based on the amount you paid for your June 2 cruise and may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Xpedition within the next two years."

"The Galapagos National Park has cited Celebrity Xpedition for transportation and storage of 12 kilograms of frozen lobster tails in the Galapagos while out of season. Because of this, Celebrity Xpedition’s license that is necessary to enter the Galapagos National Park has been temporarily suspended by the local authority.

Celebrity Cruises will appeal this action with government authorities in Quito, Ecuador. However, we do not expect to have a resolution in time for Celebrity Xpedition’s next sailing, which is scheduled to depart on Sunday, June 2. Unfortunately, it is necessary to cancel the June 2 sailing of Celebrity Xpedition.

We ask that any guests booked on the Sunday, June 2, sailing of Celebrity Xpedition please call us at 1-888-829-4050BsAt4ube4GblQIAAAAASUVORK5CYII= in the U.S. and 1-408-916-9001BsAt4ube4GblQIAAAAASUVORK5CYII= internationally.

We will provide you with a full refund of the monies paid for your June 2 sailing of Celebrity Xpedition.

We will also provide you with a 50% future cruise credit for another Celebrity Xpedition cruise. The credit is based on the amount you paid for your June 2 cruise and may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Xpedition within the next two years."

Wow, this is another twist in the tail (pardon the pun). This offer is not as generous as the crusie hadn't started as yet. I feel bad for those passengers that were already there or on their way and/or have other tours travel arranged as well. I do hope that X and the Ecuadorian Government can sort these issues out quickly.:D

This is horrible. It isn't as generous as the offer given to those who still got to take most of their cruise- and it requires people spend another $1200 on airfare, because it is only good on the Xpedition. (When it was a 100% credit, I kind of understood that...but not for 50%.) Most people will end up paying more to rebook the cruise because prices only go up. For example, if I got this credit, I'd get 50% of a room I booked in 2012! There is no way that is going to pay 50% for a cruise in 2014. You should get 50% off the fare for the same room style (and even still, since so many people book this cruise early, it might still cost you more).

Is it standard for Celebrity to compensate by only allowing you to sail on the ship that your journey was canceled on?

If the ship sailed on June 2, quite a few (most?) people are likely already in Quito on the cruise package, so their airfare is used and won't be refunded- not even if they have good travel insurance, because the airfare was USED. Now saying the only way they can take their compensation is to spend that again is ridiculous. Celebrity should have offered that credit on ANY sailing.

I'm not impressed, and if this goes on much longer, I'm canceling my cruise and booking with another carrier. I was extremely impressed with how they dealt with the interupted sailing, what a difference a day makes!

And although there are many ships cruising the Galapagos- suddenly coming up with another nearly $10,000 (assuming 2 people) for a week to sail on another line would be difficult on a moment's notice. Wonder if Celebrity is processing the returns immediately if requested? Finding another ship would be an option if you were already there- not an easy one though.

I can't understand why it is that Celebrity led people to believe that it had been taken care of when obviously it had not been. That would upset me a lot.

So here we have the non standard compensation plan....

This is the first time I've seen that you have to use the credit on the same ship..

No mention of airfare or airline change fee refunds, etc. Not sure how travel insurance will cover anyone on this....read the fine print.

We've seen 100%, 50% and 25% credits towards another cruise based on other compensation packages (Century was 25%, this is 50%, last week's was 100%)

Celebrity...you need a standard compensation policy for cruise cancellations, cruise interruptions, cruises that miss ports, cruises that are shortened by a day or more. Without this type of policy, you are going to get hammered every time you offer compensation.

The concern is that is appears that Celebrity does not have a good relationship with park officials.

We are booked for next year because of the great price compared to other options, Celebrity is reasonable. We have been before on Santa Cruz, an Ecuadorian owned ship. It is our favorite cruise and vacation of all time, and my DH questioned at the time why we weren't using the same company (Metropolitan Touring who owned the ship) that we loved so much. Now I question that too.

So here we have the non standard compensation plan....

This is the first time I've seen that you have to use the credit on the same ship..

No mention of airfare or airline change fee refunds, etc. Not sure how travel insurance will cover anyone on this....read the fine print.

We've seen 100%, 50% and 25% credits towards another cruise based on other compensation packages (Century was 25%, this is 50%, last week's was 100%)

Celebrity...you need a standard compensation policy for cruise cancellations, cruise interruptions, cruises that miss ports, cruises that are shortened by a day or more. Without this type of policy, you are going to get hammered every time you offer compensation.

Trip interruption may cover the return flights for those en-route. If reimbursed it could be used for another flight.

Archived