Tipping related to Holland America Cruises

I read an article that mentioned that we should pre-prepare tip envelopes for the ships' crew. However, I believe that HAL automatically will charge us a tipping fee. Do we need to prepare additional tips to those that are charged at the end of the cruise?

Also, it is my understanding that the personnel that help us take our bags from our vehicle to the bag check-in, it is good practice to give them $2 per bag.

Are there other events that we will need to tip? Thanks in advance

There are many. Use common sense.

Yes, you pay an automatic tip on HAL. If you think the service was above that, tip. If not, don't bother.

If you think you received great service ashore, tip.

You tip already. Follow your experience. Nothing change when you leave the country.

You are correct, extra tipping is not required, since HAL collects a Hotel Service Charge which goes to all the Personnel who have made your cruise so wonderful..

However, some of us do give a little extra to our Stewards, Bartenders & Wine Stewards with a Thank you note at the end of the cruise..That is only if we consider their service to be exceptional, which it usually is..We also tip a few extra dollars for Room service & to the waiters & wine stewards who serve us so well in the Pinnacle..

Giving the Porters (at the curb) a few dollars per bag is customary when you get ready to check in & also for clearing customs when disembarking & they take you back out to the curb..Normally, we travel with Friends..The men drop the ladies off at the port with the bags, while they return the rental car...My Friend & I always give the porters a $20 bill together to take care of our bags being checked in & the same amount when we disembark..We both know it is over-tipping but we've always had excellent service in port, have never lost a bag & our bags are always dry when we receive them in our cabin..;)

If you take a tour in port, it's also customary to tip the guide & driver..Trip advisor suggests giving the guides 15% -25% of the total bill, but you actually don't know what the tour company's net is as HAL gets a cut of the price..Therefore for a 1/2 day tour we normally give $5.00 per person..It's possible other posters will suggest different amounts..You can check out Trip Advisor's web site on tipping: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.htm

Hope this helps & wishing you a wonderful time on your cruise..

cheers...Betty

The baggage handlers in Seattle are members of the ILWU, the longshoremen's union. They are paid by the port authority. They make over $50 per hour with benefits. They are not some minimum wage lumpers. Give them a tip? Not on your life.

The Hotel Service Charge is $12 per person per day for passengers staying in the penthouse and suites. Others pay $11.50 per person per day.

We always leave the tips in place and we do tip extra at the end of the cruise to those who have made our cruise an enjoyable one.

Any wine, cocktails, sodas, bottled water that you order from the bar staff -- a 15% gratuity is automatically added on to the bill.

If you order anything from room service, you might consider tipping the person who delivers your food -- that is up to you.

We tip the luggage porters, room service, excursion guides, specialty restaurant servers and usually extra for our cabin steward and MDR servers.

Kirk, how do you handle tipping the specialty restaurant servers? I have never eaten there, but I have two reservations on our upcoming cruise in November, one in Pinnacle and one in Tamarind. Do you leave a special gratuity at the end of the meal with the server, or do you handle it some other way? I want to know the right way to do it. Approx. how much do you tip these servers? Thanks.

The baggage handlers in Seattle are members of the ILWU, the longshoremen's union. They are paid by the port authority. They make over $50 per hour with benefits. They are not some minimum wage lumpers. Give them a tip? Not on your life.

I've been lucky in SEA. One time I had HAL transfer from the airport. They took my luggage at the airport and I didn't see it until it was delivered to my cabin. The other time the private transfer dropped me off where I could roll my luggage to the Xray.

In Cape Liberty NJ the longshoreman showed a wad of dollars 3 inches thick. I tipped him thinking it would be cheaper than having my clothes wash up on the Statue of Liberty.:rolleyes:

Kirk, how do you handle tipping the specialty restaurant servers? I have never eaten there, but I have two reservations on our upcoming cruise in November, one in Pinnacle and one in Tamarind. Do you leave a special gratuity at the end of the meal with the server, or do you handle it some other way? I want to know the right way to do it. Approx. how much do you tip these servers? Thanks.

A HAL rep told me extra tipping is not necessary in the Pinnacle, but you can if you think the service was extraordinary.

Maybe Kirk is not available, can anyone else answer my tipping question above re: specialty restaurant tipping? Thanks much.

On most cruises, DH and I eat at the Pinnacle at least once for lunch and once for dinner. He has a special dietary requirement, so we usually tip since the servers are looking after his health. (He will be sick within the hour if not handled properly... and he'll feel badly for several days.)

He simply has cash in his pocket to slip to the server on our way out the door.

We did dine at Tamarind during our most recent cruise. We handled that one the same way.

Maybe Kirk is not available, can anyone else answer my tipping question above re: specialty restaurant tipping? Thanks much.

We just leave it on the table, there are three of us and I usually leave $20. That's not a lot compared to eating out in a regular nice restaurant but they also get some of the auto tips.

We just leave it on the table, there are three of us and I usually leave $20. That's not a lot compared to eating out in a regular nice restaurant but they also get some of the auto tips.

Thanks to Kirk and all of you that responded.

I was thinking 10-15$ for two, if it was customary to tip in these specialty places, but I didn't know what was acceptable. Your response kind of confirms my thoughts, so thanks for the info!:) We have never tried the specialty restaurants so this will be a first for us. My DH 70th B-Day will be in the Pinnacle and then we just had to try Tamarind because everyone seems to like it so much. Do they do anything special for a birthday person....do any of you know?

I tip some of the people in the Lido or grill--the omelette guy and anyone else who has been great. I never thought of getting envelopes but just give the cash. Is that okay?

We don't bother with envelopes.

We just give whomever we are tipping extra to a hand shake and pass the money over that way.

Oh,, and my 60th B-day is the first formal night.....do they do anything special there, does anyone know? Thanks very much.

If you want a birthday cake in the Pinnacle, just tell the manager of the Pinnacle about it.

It will be delivered to your table at the end of the meal.

The Pinnacle staff are not allowed to sing Happy Birthday like they do in the main dining room.

Happy 60th Birthday to you!!

Thanks to Kirk and all of you that responded.

I was thinking 10-15$ for two, if it was customary to tip in these specialty places, but I didn't know what was acceptable. Your response kind of confirms my thoughts, so thanks for the info!:) We have never tried the specialty restaurants so this will be a first for us. My DH 70th B-Day will be in the Pinnacle and then we just had to try Tamarind because everyone seems to like it so much. Do they do anything special for a birthday person....do any of you know?

I just answered your question above -- it is the same rules for the Tamarind.

We also just leave the extra tip on the table at the end of the meal.

Happy 70th Birthday to your DH.

I just answered your question above -- it is the same rules for the Tamarind.

We also just leave the extra tip on the table at the end of the meal.

Happy 70th Birthday to your DH.

Thanks for the info and thanks for the early birthday wishes....I (and he) are still trying to wrap our head around the idea of hitting 60 and 70 respectively. We can't believe we made it!:)

Archived