Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Looking at this photo, I thought I'd seen one very similar related to the Oasis class.

low_1389822523_Quantum-of-the-Seas-MG-5821.jpg

Sure enough, I'd seen one in this RCI photo gallery of the Allure's construction:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royalcaribbeanintl/sets/72157619573198773/detail/

And there is that bit of steel under it as well.

Allureaftend_zpscc766f3b.jpg

Good find from the past and comparison to today's new build.

The correct term for that 'bit of metal' is a skeg, which is just an extension of the keel further aft. In terms of marine dynamics it increases the directional stability of the ship, which is the ability for it to stay on a predefined course without rudder correction, and it also helps with providing good unbroken flow to the propellers, which increases their efficiency.

Thanks for explaining the skeg. Always good to learn something new. I thought I had seen something similar being added to one of the RC ships in Drydock not too long ago.

The correct term for that 'bit of metal' is a skeg, which is just an extension of the keel further aft. In terms of marine dynamics it increases the directional stability of the ship, which is the ability for it to stay on a predefined course without rudder correction, and it also helps with providing good unbroken flow to the propellers, which increases their efficiency.

Thanks for the clarification.

While we have you on the line ... er ... in the thread, when is your tour to Meyer Werft happening? You're going at a good time, what with the build almost half built!

Edited by Lloyd555

Not if this is any help because you guys are much more qualified than I am but I played around a bit with the picture and it looks like the name is The Grande Restaurant, not sure if that will be the final name??? And it also looked like it was only 1/2 of the 3rd and 4th deck in the aft part of the ship so there must be another one with the other side? Again, you guys are the experts with all of this. I'm only the lonely stalker chick...:cool:

AlaskaGolden, in the thread 'QOS pictures', was able to get a great image of the restaurant.

TheGrandeRestaurant_zps24c00155.jpg

Thanks for the clarification.

While we have you on the line ... er ... in the thread, when is your tour to Meyer Werft happening? You're going at a good time, what with the build almost half built!

That's a good question. It was supposed to be run by my university department, but I keep asking for information and I haven't received a reply so i'm guessing it might have fallen through. I was however talking to a Meyer Werft rep at a recent careers fair and he seemed to acknowledge the trips existence. It's all very confusing and frustrating since I was really looking forward to it.

AlaskaGolden, in the thread 'QOS pictures', was able to get a great image of the restaurant.

My apologies. It was MonaCK who able to get a great image of the restaurant.

That's a good question. It was supposed to be run by my university department, but I keep asking for information and I haven't received a reply so i'm guessing it might have fallen through. I was however talking to a Meyer Werft rep at a recent careers fair and he seemed to acknowledge the trips existence. It's all very confusing and frustrating since I was really looking forward to it.

Well keep us posted. If you end up going, we want to hear all about it.

Congrats Lloyd on being posted on the blog!

Ha! Thanks! I posted in Adam's blog way back when we were calling the ships sunshine-class, and I think that I was thanking him for something back then as well! Well, mom says to always be polite!

Edited by Lloyd555

Found this website awhile back that has all sorts of port webcams worldwide. Here is the link to Bremerhaven where they delivered the Getaway.

http://www.wsa-bremerhaven.de/service/Webcams/webcam.php.html?webcam_id=2&refreshrate_id=0&info=noch%3A+13

Here is the link to the main site map for all the webcams.

http://www.cruiseshipportal.com/categories/other/webcam-cruise-ships-port-cams.html

Found this website awhile back that has all sorts of port webcams worldwide. Here is the link to Bremerhaven where they delivered the Getaway.

http://www.wsa-bremerhaven.de/service/Webcams/webcam.php.html?webcam_id=2&refreshrate_id=0&info=noch%3A+13

http://www.cruiseshipportal.com/categories/other/webcam-cruise-ships-port-cams.html

Merci! We can use it to keep an eye on Quantum of the Seas when she's there.

While I am here... Found this scenic photo today. It's old news, but I found it appealing.

Schleppverband-im-Morgengrauen_mit_Schiffbausektion_fuer_Meyer_Hgrd_Ditzum_Voss.jpg

Photo courtesy wattenrat.de

Edited by Lloyd555

Thank you for sharing Tina.

Some recent tourist photos of from halls 5 & 6.

After seeing the revealing photos from the RCI press center webpage, looking at these is like trying to catch a peek of a gift after you've already unwrapped it (and tried it on, and discovered its two sizes too small for you, so you bring it back to the store just find out that they don't have it in that colour any more, so you get a gift certificate in its place, and ... but I digress).

They're still nice photos. And appreciated.

FromblogJanuary19entry_zps209dec65.jpg

In the hall 5 photo below, I think we're looking at the back of the theater block that we can see in the webcam image.

Yup.

Soooo, when are the next set of RCI photos coming out?

FromblogJanuary19entry_1_zps2873b665.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

TheGrandeRestaurant_zps24c00155.jpg

Just noticed the piano in the middle of the zone. If these are not 4 independent venues this would be a very awkwardly positioned piano.

:rolleyes: Only because she was in the background of so many of the Quantum of the Seas photos we looked at...

Welcome to New York, Getaway!

1558521_682723911750247_577866090_n.jpg

1512662_10152179602138147_1179026373_n.jpg

Photos courtesy Kreuzfahrtinspektor & Stefan Lutz on Facebook

Ok. Back to our regularly scheduled program ...

Edited by Lloyd555