The Millenium, Vancouver to Seward

GeorgiaPeach51

GP51: Here is an answer I got from the iPad Forum about Photobucket, hope this helps.

"The app will let you upload more than one photo, but you have to tap each one. It will then upload each in order.

For bulk without tapping, I used photostream to get them to my PC and then I would use the bulk uploader from my PC.

If you want the app to work differently, use the option inside the app to write to developer and request said features."

Tawcat--thanks so much for the info! Very kind of you. You can tell that I am technology challenged...I still have tons to upload and just picked some of the best or most interesting for CC, so you have now saved me hours of messing with it! Appreciate you!

Peach :)

Thank you for taking the time and effort in writing this review. Some friends of mine and I are sailing this itinerary aboard the Millennium in August of 2014. I've convinced my mother and one of her friends (a first time cruiser) to join us. I plan on sharing your review with them to help demystify the experience.

Thank you for taking the time and effort in writing this review. Some friends of mine and I are sailing this itinerary aboard the Millennium in August of 2014. I've convinced my mother and one of her friends (a first time cruiser) to join us. I plan on sharing your review with them to help demystify the experience.

You're welcome! Just repaying all the great info I've gotten on CC....sounds like you have a wonderul trip ahead. I'll answer any questions they have, if I can.

You're welcome! Just repaying all the great info I've gotten on CC....sounds like you have a wonderul trip ahead. I'll answer any questions they have, if I can.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos from your trip. I am on the same sailing with Jeanigor (Todd) next year in August and I am looking forward to the trip, and am already looking for suggestions and advise from previous travelers. I am booked in 6030 (one of the sweet 16 - thanks to CC boards) and was happy to see your photos on your cabin. This will be my first cruise on Celebrity as my previous cruises have only been on Disney.

Edited by tlcoke

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos from your trip. I am on the same sailing with Jeanigor (Todd) next year in August and I am looking forward to the trip, and am already looking for suggestions and advise from previous travelers. I am booked in 6030 (one of the sweet 16 - thanks to CC boards) and was happy to see your photos on your cabin. This will be my first cruise on Celebrity as my previous cruises have only been on Disney.

tlcoke, welcome to Cruise Critic! I think you'll like the sweet 16...you would be right next to where we were--6028. I thought it was a great location and the larger balcony plus overhang was ideal for us. I hope you enjoy Celebrity and Alaska...you're in for quite a treat! In case you don't know there is also a forum for Alaska all by itself...go down to the ports section.

I went back and looked over my notes and forgot to mention the background music. There had been comments on the boards about the techno music, and I can tell you that it was there.

The place we most noticed it was in the Martini Bar....it was loud, but not as loud as I had feared it would be, and was a little intrusive. Not our favorite music for sure, and more suitable for a dance area than a bar where people are sitting and talking. It wasn't horrendous but it was THERE and we (and others) commented on it several times because it was so "aggressive" compared to what we wished we were listening to.

There was one time it got "stuck" and played the same thing over and over and over...people began to comment and there was a flurry of activity until someone somewhere was able to fix it.

The music didn't really ruin anything or impact our trip but it would be a "minus" for me. When I heard comments from others it seemed that we were all just trying to put up with it.

Was the Thalassotherapy Pool opened up to kids for select hours for swimming? Not sure how much swimming we'll actually do since my youngest is in a cast, but would be nice to know. He's got a cover for his cast that makes it waterproof, so he may want to get in (it worked in the tub) and swim a couple laps.

Weather.com currently shows Seward to be in the low 60s when we get there on the 27th. Not sure if it will warm up enough for the kids to get in the outdoor pool or not.

Was the Thalassotherapy Pool opened up to kids for select hours for swimming? Not sure how much swimming we'll actually do since my youngest is in a cast, but would be nice to know. He's got a cover for his cast that makes it waterproof, so he may want to get in (it worked in the tub) and swim a couple laps.

Weather.com currently shows Seward to be in the low 60s when we get there on the 27th. Not sure if it will warm up enough for the kids to get in the outdoor pool or not.

Ole Miss, I'm sorry, I don't know. We saw very few people in the pool; at least not during the times we were in that area and I did not see kids in the pool. There were very few kids on the ship that I observed....we definitely saw few people in the regular outdoor pool. Weather was just a touch too windy and cool for even the polar bear types most days. One activity was a "polar bear' swim challenge; ships officers vs. passengers. :-)

Hope you have wonderful weather!

Ole Miss, I'm sorry, I don't know. We saw very few people in the pool; at least not during the times we were in that area and I did not see kids in the pool. There were very few kids on the ship that I observed....we definitely saw few people in the regular outdoor pool. Weather was just a touch too windy and cool for even the polar bear types most days. One activity was a "polar bear' swim challenge; ships officers vs. passengers. :-)

Hope you have wonderful weather!

Well it's in the 80s inland this week, but then it's supposed to drop into the 60s next week! Good thing we are bringing layers! Kind of glad though so we can get some use out of all the new clothes we bought!:)

Leaving in 2 days! Can't wait! Thanks so much for your review!

Well it's in the 80s inland this week, but then it's supposed to drop into the 60s next week! Good thing we are bringing layers! Kind of glad though so we can get some use out of all the new clothes we bought!:)

Leaving in 2 days! Can't wait! Thanks so much for your review!

Two days! WOW--hope you have the most wonderful time! Can't wait to hear about it!

• 4 weeks later...

GeorgiaPeach51: I am really enjoying your posts. We are taking our first cruise to Alaska in Aug. and just signed up--so we have little time to plan . Would appreciate any info regarding specific private tours, contact info, etc.at the ports.:)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We enjoyed this cruise so much that we are doing it again....with two big differences. This time we are taking our grown children and spouses, and our 8 year old granddaughter. This is a bucket-list thing for us; to take our kids on a cruise, so we are very excited. It will be interesting to see what they think, since they are obviously younger; and to see what our little 8 year old granddaughter thinks.

And, we are doing it back to front this time. Last time we went Vancouver to Seward. This time we are going Seward to Vancouver.

We are going in June 2015 this time, so I will update with differences I see between the two itineraries; weather differences; ship changes, if any. And will give some info on the kids program.

If anyone has questions I will be glad to answer, since the Alaska season is fast approaching. I think it says a lot that we are doing the same cruise again....for those of you who may have trepidation about either the ship or itinerary. :)

I am considering the cruise that you took. Since it is a one way cruise rather than round trip from Vancouver or Seattle, did you find the airfare to be significantly more expensive?

We will be on the June 12 sailing as well...and it will be our second Alaska cruise as well...(First one also southbound on Summit a few years back--and, on that one, we did the 13 night cruisetour)...

I originally thought we'd do the Vancouver round trip this time--to save on airfare...since we aren't going to do a pre-cruise land portion this time (one of the main reasons most do a one-way--to be able to spend additional time in the interior of Alaska)...But, what I found, surprisingly, is that the airfare was NOT appreciably more--for us, round trip LAX to Vancouver or Seattle would have been around $220 pp (Seattle) or $275 pp (Vancouver)...but, LAX-ANC, Vancouver-LAX is only around $375 pp...And the cruise fares are considerably less on this one than on the Seattle or Vancouver round trips...

Plus, because you don't backtrack, you get an extra Alaska port and better hours...

The only other extra expense is that, with flight times what they are, we need to fly in to Anchorage a day ahead (which we prefer to do anyway)--so an extra $170 for a hotel (but, we likely would have spent a hotel night in Vancouver anyway)...and we need to get a bus from Anchorage to Seward--slightly more expensive than transportation airport to cruise ship in Vancouver or Seattle...

But, all-in-all, the overall price for us comes out CHEAPER doing this one than the round trip routes...

I agree with Bruin Steve; we felt the difference in airfare were not worth the round trip.

We liked the idea of being in two different cities on the front and back; and the ability to see more since it is so hard to get there from the East Coast anyway.

Although we thought we were clever in booking our airfare for the return, (we had an ideal flight, direct from Vancouver to Atlanta, leaving at a reasonable 8 a.m.), lovely (not) Delta has cancelled that flight and we are now stuck on a flight that leaves at 6 a.m. I am not a happy camper, but the other flights are considerably more expensive than what we have.

We are answering an old question that was posted a long time ago that I never saw or answered previously, but our responses may help someone else!

We are taking this cruise from Vancouver to Seward in May of 2016 and do have booked a 6 night cruise tour on the back end going from Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali (2 nights), Fairbanks. Now I'm in total freakout mode :eek: about the bad pre & post tour comments here (not by the OP).

I've land traveled Alaska before but not my husband - I thought letting Celebrity handle the land portion would take the stress off of me - we typically book private tours. CAN SOMEONE WHO HAS RECENTLY - done a pre or post cruise tour please comment on your experience. I'd hate to think I paid a huge premium for the cruise tour to be disappointed.

We are taking this cruise from Vancouver to Seward in May of 2016 and do have booked a 6 night cruise tour on the back end going from Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali (2 nights), Fairbanks. Now I'm in total freakout mode :eek: about the bad pre & post tour comments here (not by the OP).

I've land traveled Alaska before but not my husband - I thought letting Celebrity handle the land portion would take the stress off of me - we typically book private tours. CAN SOMEONE WHO HAS RECENTLY - done a pre or post cruise tour please comment on your experience. I'd hate to think I paid a huge premium for the cruise tour to be disappointed.

Jane,

I can't talk about "recent" experience--ours was now some years back...

BUT we thought the cruisetour experience with Celebrity was outstanding...

The hotels were first class...the tour was jam packed with tours and activities. We really didn't think we missed much...Everything was very well organized...Staff was very helpful...we felt very pampered...

The only slight negative I recall was that they seemed to put us on hold a little before delivering us to the ship (ours was pre-cruise)...that and our daughters were a bit disappointed to find that my wife and I were the next youngest people on our bus after them!

But, we are accustomed to doing "our own thing" pre- and post-cruise...but, in this case it was really nice to have EVERYTHING handled by Celebrity...

• 3 months later...
We enjoyed this cruise so much that we are doing it again....with two big differences. This time we are taking our grown children and spouses, and our 8 year old granddaughter. This is a bucket-list thing for us; to take our kids on a cruise, so we are very excited. It will be interesting to see what they think, since they are obviously younger; and to see what our little 8 year old granddaughter thinks.

And, we are doing it back to front this time. Last time we went Vancouver to Seward. This time we are going Seward to Vancouver.

We are going in June 2015 this time, so I will update with differences I see between the two itineraries; weather differences; ship changes, if any. And will give some info on the kids program.

If anyone has questions I will be glad to answer, since the Alaska season is fast approaching. I think it says a lot that we are doing the same cruise again....for those of you who may have trepidation about either the ship or itinerary. :)

I'll be anxious to read your updated/new review of your cruise. Jane and I are on the same cruise in 2016, so I know any info will be great for us to read! :)

It is about 31 days till we cruise. I will definitely do an update. We are looking forward to seeing Alaska with family, and doing different things in the ports. You have a big, fun adventure in front of you. Have to think God put extra time on Alaska!

What date are you sailing in June? We are on June 12 sailing!

• 1 month later...

I see several folks were on the June 12 sailing, but there haven't been any reviews yet. We're going in a few weeks, and I'm really interested in hearing how everything went now, as opposed to 2 years ago.

We're doing a 3 day pre-tour from Fairbanks, then Seward to Vancouver. Any new info we could get on any of this would be great!