Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

Nicely said. My husband and I can afford a balcony but we choose to go with an inside every time. He has to have the pitch black room and I get less sea sick in an inside room. And for those that ask how he sleeps at home yes, we used black glass paint, double honeycomb day sleeper blinds and then drapes to darken our room. He really struggles when we stay in hotels and resorts because of the light. We are in the process of booking our next cruise and my husband offered to tough it out in a balcony room but I said no thanks. Wouldn't want to worry that he isn't sleeping well and I don't want to be afraid of getting sea sick. So please realize that those of staying inside do so for lots of reasons. Though some people have been nice with their opinions others have been borderline rude and snobbish.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Has your husband ever tried sleeping with an eye mask like a blindfold? I used to wear one on weekends since I was still waking up at 5am when I didn't have to. They were very comfortable, not tight on my eyes at all. I stopped because I was sleeping too much!! I would wake up at 9 or 10am and say hunhhh? Where did the day go????

Taxgal, totally understood!

Edited by BonTexasNY

I've cruised monstly in interiors with a few exceptions like my Alaska and Hawaii cruises. I've had a few ocean views too. But I don't mind interiors. They are like caves for an afternoon nap with the air cranked down low. It's great sleeping!

I noticed you included Alaska, we are headed there in July 2014. This will be our 1st time there, any pointers or sugggestions you can share that may help make this trip great.

Has your husband ever tried sleeping with an eye mask like a blindfold? I used to wear one on weekends since I was still waking up at 5am when I didn't have to. They were very comfortable, not tight on my eyes at all.
They are also great for sleeping on airplanes, in hotel rooms, for frequent travelers who go through lots of time zone changes, and for people in northern locations with long daylight hours.

Total darkness whenever and wherever you want it.

People who work nights and sleep days (such as emergency room physicians and nurses) also use them.

We just keep them in our travel carry-on bags, along with ear plugs, so they are always handy whenever we need them.

The more we cruise its the location of cabin that important, we are in an inside cabin this summer but on deck 9 just 2 floors up to the pools, buffet, kids club, gym etc.

We have had outside cabins before once via free upgrade and once because there was no outsides left, the first time was on deck 2 which is miles from anywhere! 10 sets of stairs to get coffee from the buffet! The window was next to useless too low down to see much but water and not much if it, no horizon, other ships unless a long way away and in port often all you could see was the side of the dock! Or had to close the curtains as people could see in!

When its sunny I want to be up on deck anyway not inside a small cabin and therefore need to be just a few floors from the main open decks.

Would love a balcony for my own outside space but until we can cruise outside of school holidays that's not going to happen, and there is always the dilemma of one cruise with a balcony or 2 cruises with inside cabins ( not that difficult would cruise twice without a second thought)

Gillian.

Adventure of the Seas Med July 2013

QV October 2012

Grand Princess Med August 2012

QM2 France & Belgium December 2011

QE Med August 2011

I thought that if you are seasick, you should be out on deck looking at the ocean? :confused:

We have had inside cabins on ferries and I HATED it - our son freaked out due to the claustrophobia and we could not wait to get out of the little room.

I wonder if the cabins on cruise ships are a bit nicer though. They always look so cozy when we walk past in the corridor.

No way I'm traveling 5000 miles to go on a $3000 cruise just to stare at my wife! I'll be damned if I don't get an ocean view! :D

I think it all depends where you are going. When we went to Alaska, we would have missed seeing the whales if we did not have a balcony because we were changing for dinner when we saw them. If there is nothing but ocean, why bother, although, I am an early riser and like to sit on the balcony while DH gets his beauty sleep.

I love it when people say this. If I had an inside room I would never be in there either.:rolleyes: We have had sea days where we never leave our room until evening. Aft........ laying in the sun on the balcony all day.. Heaven.! No dealing with chair hogs either.

And I love it when people say this. Some of us really want to take advantage of everything else the ship has to offer. You know the old saying.... one person's heaven is another person's hell. At least cabin dwellers do leave more room around the rest of the ship for people like me. :)

Edited by Ocean Boy

I am not someone who can afford to cruise too often but I would choose to cruise less often and have a balcony every time. On holiday on land I would never stay in a hotel room with no windows and I don't think many people would.

I just came back from an Iceland/Norway cruise on Adventure and the best part of the cruise was being able to spend time on our balcony watching the magnificent fjord scenery passing by day and night.

As for the breeziness on a balcony - love it!! You really know you are at sea as you feel the wind and watch the waves - heaven.

I thought that if you are seasick, you should be out on deck looking at the ocean? :confused:

Actually, yes. Except you should look not so much at the water, but at the horizon. Sailors have been using this method pretty much since the first oceangoing ship was built. Seasickness comes from your brain being confused: the ship is moving under your feet, but your eyes see things standing still. Looking at the horizon helps restabilize the input that your brain is getting, because the horizon moves relative to the ship (I'm not sure how to word this better). The fresh ocean air helps too; forward decks have the most wind.

Has your husband ever tried sleeping with an eye mask like a blindfold? I used to wear one on weekends since I was still waking up at 5am when I didn't have to. They were very comfortable, not tight on my eyes at all. I stopped because I was sleeping too much!! I would wake up at 9 or 10am and say hunhhh? Where did the day go????

Taxgal, totally understood!

Unfortunately he also wears a CPAP when he sleeps so he cannot wear a sleep mask but thank you for the suggestion!

Actually, yes. Except you should look not so much at the water, but at the horizon. Sailors have been using this method pretty much since the first oceangoing ship was built. Seasickness comes from your brain being confused: the ship is moving under your feet, but your eyes see things standing still. Looking at the horizon helps restabilize the input that your brain is getting, because the horizon moves relative to the ship (I'm not sure how to word this better). The fresh ocean air helps too; forward decks have the most wind.

The motion (swaying?) is what really makes me feel ill. When I am in the middle of the ship in an inside cabin I rarely feel any rocking so that really helps. In public areas I do feel it and sometimes just go back to the room for few minutes to get my bearings.

My husband and I often get an inside cabin and find we sleep really well...no engine noise. We are only in cabin to sleep and shower and change clothes. We often cruise in colder areas when you can't use a balcony. When we cruise with our daughter and son-in-law, we get them and ourselves balconies in Caribbean and while we enjoy it, we really don't use it much. For the difference in cost, not worth it to us.:o

As far as not spending much time in our inside cabins, it wasn't due to no balcony. I honestly thought that might be the case, but, when we finally were in a hump balcony cabin, we spent just as much (as little) time in our cabin as we did in our inside cabins. We can be together alone all year long. On a ship we like to get out there, be with friends and experience all the ship has to offer. Different strokes and all that. :cool:

Comparing hotel rooms with cruise ship cabins is like comparing apples to oranges. Hotels don't offer the activities a cruise ship does and has limited venues in which to hang out. Plus there ARE no interior hotel rooms to choose from. :rolleyes: I'm just sayin.....Just seeing the wonderful pictures in Gambees Allure and Breakaway reviews makes me think I would never stay in my cabin, balcony or no balcony, if I ever cruise on those ships :eek:

Edited by BonTexasNY

My husband and I always book inside cabins. We sleep best in black-out conditions to the point that my husband places a towel along the door to minimize light entering from the hallway. When booking our room we specify we do not want a free upgrade to a room with a view.

We also spend minimum time in our room, mainly for sleeping and napping

We've only used an inside cabin once, it was so small there was no room to walk down both sides of the bed - my husband had to climb over the bed to get into it. Since then we have checked out other ship's inside cabins and not all are that small, I don't know how you would check out the size as the diagrams on the websites just give average dimensions. Needless to say we would never risk that again, we've been lucky with booking obstructed view cabins and being upgraded a couple of times.

Happy sailing to all

Greg and Joan

Maybe they got to that level because by booking interior staterooms, they were able to afford more cruises?

I think just pointing out that they've booked many, many interiors and still prefer that category.

Okay, okay. ;) I'll buy both of these explanations.

Also when we book our inside cabin, it's always located on the upper decks, usually 1-2 floors below the spa/fitness centre. We've also noted the interior rooms are not small and spacious enough.

We always seem to go back to an inside cabin. We have tried windows..ok if the same price as inside. Both times we tried a Balcony it has been a disaster, as we have ened up with younger people who were smokers of all types of tobacco..legal and illegal. They also were load and obnoxious. BOTH TIMES. What are the odds.. We travel with kids so this is an unacceptable senario. For now we will stick with inside cabins.