Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

Booked an IS on our upcoming cruise, which is our first IS since 2006. We always managed to upgrade or change to a balcony before sailing, but with two months to go, there's still a possibility that we may change room categories. We opted for an IS this time around because there will be alot of our family onboard, so we don't think we'll spend that much time in our cabin. I must sleep in complete darkness, but I do like to know when the sun is coming up.

Nope you are not the only one who books inside. We do most of the time. If we wish to sleep in, the room is DARK! Plus it's a cost savings. We have had a balcony on a few ships and some were fine, some not so much. Alaska from Vancouver to Whittier, balcony was fantastic on the Diamond Princess. Highly recommend. We have a window on this trip.

PattyW, It sure is worth a try. I probably could have cruised three times for what I paid for my minisuite on the Caribbean Princess her first summer. I know now I will never do that again. I dont cruise to sit in the cabin all day anyway, I would rather be out and about on the ship.

Karen

Just booked our next cruise (11 months out - gotta have something to look forward to). We were going to do two connecting oceanviews for our family of five, but just booked a family promenade cabin on Freedom. Kind of easing into the concept of an inside, I guess. From what I read on here, the family cabins are great, so I hope we love it!

Just booked our next cruise (11 months out - gotta have something to look forward to). We were going to do two connecting oceanviews for our family of five, but just booked a family promenade cabin on Freedom. Kind of easing into the concept of an inside, I guess. From what I read on here, the family cabins are great, so I hope we love it!

There is a video of a freedom class family promenade stateroom on you tube. It looks spacious

Edited by Zhane's mum

Unless we get a deal, its inside for us mostly, the $ you save make up for lots of other finer things then "views"

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I have cruised in outside and balcony cabins and I just don't think it's worth the price. My cabin is where I sleep and bath. I get the same ship experience for a fraction of the price. I don't care if I'm sleeping in the engine room. Cheaper cabin=more cruises m

We booked insides on our last three cruises and they were fine (one cruiseline offered an upsell to an unobstructed oceanview for only $100, so of course, we took it!). We don't spend much time in the cabin, especially on port intensive cruises.

We like to take longer vacations and need to stretch our $ to do this. Booking a less expensive cabin leaves extra money to book excursions, etc.

We've cruised in every type of cabin from a low deck inside to a penthouse suite. I have to say for us the itinerary of the cruise is a much bigger deal than the cabin type. I'd say our top three cruises have been inside cabins. That is not to say we have not enjoyed our balcony when we've had them. But, we've gotten some great deals on cruises we otherwise could not afford to do by booking an inside cabin. We especially like the inside cabins on Princess.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ha ha, that's funny. Oh well, I've booked what I've booked, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let a cabin stop me from enjoying my cruise.

If there's one thing I've learned from CC, it's that there are a million cruisers out there with a million different opinions, and that the attitude you take on the ship determines the quality of the cruise you will have.

:):)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I could afford any cabin but love an inside cabin,way down in the ship. I only sleep in my cabin and I like it dark.Celebrity Lines kept upgrading my cabin and now I have to tell them " no upgrading" when I book.

Leaving in a couple of weeks from Boston to Montreal. I get up at 7am and only change my clothes in the cabin or sleep.

We have sailed inside cabins, outside cabins, balconies......also been on low floors on the ship - high floors on the ship..... We prefer an inside not only because it allows us to cruise more often, but because it is quiet and dark in the mornings. Hard to justify double the cost for a balcony or suite unless you spend lots of time in your cabin..........that's just my opinion.

Cabins can be tight if you have 4 people in a room - but for 2 people it is just fine with us.......

This morning I woke up to the sun at 5:30 (as usual). It is the third day of the 4 day July weekend and I am not work stressed nor on a schedule. As I lay in bed I yearned for the inside cabin we just had on our 15 night Norwegian fjord cruise. As usual, in the inside stateroom on Queen Elizabeth, I slept 11-12 hours a night, unthinkable for me at home.

We can well afford balcony cabins, but we are early birds and we go to bed after the show and enjoy the quiet early mornings and sail ins on our shared large balcony with panoramic views on the upper decks. We never have trouble getting a window seat for breakfast in either the dining room or the buffet since we are up early. We have not been on a cruise yet where there is not a comfortable shared lounge with magnificent views, or a solarium with lounge chairs to read in the shade.

One of my pet peeves on Cruise Critic is when someone asks "Is the balcony cabin worth it?' Immediately multiple people reply to the question that they would not cruise without a balcony. That is fine, it is their preference, but they do not answer the OP's question. And before you know it the OP comes back to say they have booked a balcony cabin.

Another pet peeve is when people call inside cabins closets. The size of the inside cabin is often as big as the smallest balcony stateroom on many of the cruise lines. We always carefully choose our inside stateroom and may even reject a ship based on cabin size.

So I will add to what has been said by some before me - we have had a balcony cabin and forced ourselves to use the balcony 15 minutes a day because we paid so much extra for it. I looked enviously at the people across the hall who had been smart enough to book an inside on that hot and humid cruise through the Panama Canal.

Thank you to the person who started this thread. There have been a lot of objective answers. I hope it is attached every time a person asks if a balcony cabin is worth it.

One of my pet peeves on Cruise Critic is when someone asks "Is the balcony cabin worth it?' Immediately multiple people reply to the question that they would not cruise without a balcony. That is fine, it is their preference, but they do not answer the OP's question. And before you know it the OP comes back to say they have booked a balcony cabin.

What I find even more ridiculous is when someone says that they only sleep shower and change in the cabin someone else pipes up and replies that you would spend more time in your cabin if you had a better one.:rolleyes: How does anyone else know how I, you, or anyone else likes to spend their time while on a cruise?

I have only ever had balcony cabins so no experience of insides yet and due to always going in balconies and suffering from mild claustrophobia, I have had reservations about booking one. However, we have decided to go on a short cruise with Royal Caribbean where the ports are not worth seeing from a balcony so we discussed it and agreed to save money to spend on other things and book the cheapest inside, which happened to be a promenade cabin so will see how we get on. I do agree that there is so much to do on a cruise ship, especially RC, that it is hard to justify the extra cost of a balcony, unless you can get a really good deal.

This morning I woke up to the sun at 5:30 (as usual). It is the third day of the 4 day July weekend and I am not work stressed nor on a schedule. As I lay in bed I yearned for the inside cabin we just had on our 15 night Norwegian fjord cruise. As usual, in the inside stateroom on Queen Elizabeth, I slept 11-12 hours a night, unthinkable for me at home.

We can well afford balcony cabins, but we are early birds and we go to bed after the show and enjoy the quiet early mornings and sail ins on our shared large balcony with panoramic views on the upper decks. We never have trouble getting a window seat for breakfast in either the dining room or the buffet since we are up early. We have not been on a cruise yet where there is not a comfortable shared lounge with magnificent views, or a solarium with lounge chairs to read in the shade.

Another pet peeve is when people call inside cabins closets. The size of the inside cabin is often as big as the smallest balcony stateroom on many of the cruise lines. We always carefully choose our inside stateroom and may even reject a ship based on cabin size.

So I will add to what has been said by some before me - we have had a balcony cabin and forced ourselves to use the balcony 15 minutes a day because we paid so much extra for it. I looked enviously at the people across the hall who had been smart enough to book an inside on that hot and humid cruise through the Panama Canal.

Thank you to the person who started this thread. There have been a lot of objective answers. I hope it is attached every time a person asks if a balcony cabin is worth it.

Your preference, ... but I would not want to spend half of my cruise sleeping. If you're sleeping 11/12 hrs. a day, that is exactly what you are doing.

The people responding with "I wouldn't cruise without a balcony" (I'd be one of those), are in fact answering the OP's question, ... from their point of view.

We can't answer to whether the OP would find it "worth it". We aren't the OP. It is "worth it" to us. ;)

Questions like this really can't be answered. Only opinions can be given.

Edited by WetToes

So far, I've only sailed in indoor cabins, and I love them!

The other members of our group (grandparents and family friend) have always stayed in balcony rooms and suits, which are, well... sweet! I've stayed a few nights with them, and I love sleeping so close to the ocean.

But there's just something about indoor cabins that I absolutely love. There is one moment that I look forward to on every cruise we take, and that's the first night. We've just gotten on board, explored the ship for the first time, went to the sail away party, ate our first (and certainly not last) dinner on board, went to one of the shows, and now it's time to get some shut eye. We retire to the cabin, change for bed, and shut the lights off. What do we see? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The room is jet black, and the only noises we hear is the ship slowly and quietly creaking as it rocks us to sleep. The cabin is dark, and the week ahead is absolutely bright.

Love. It.

Wow, did I say 11-12. You can see I did not have enough sleep last night. I should have said 8 hours.

I revise my statement. In answer to the OP, I also like inside cabins.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is you'll love an inside cabin until you experience a balcony cabin. Once you've booked a balcony and strolled out there on your first sea day, the ocean spray, the fresh smell, the water curling back from the hull as the ship cuts a swath across the sea.

Once you have the experience and the pleasure of that sweet, private haven of a balcony, you probably won't feel the same way about booking an inside cabin.

Jonathan

The thing is you'll love an inside cabin until you experience a balcony cabin. Once you've booked a balcony and strolled out there on your first sea day, the ocean spray, the fresh smell, the water curling back from the hull as the ship cuts a swath across the sea.

Once you have the experience and the pleasure of that sweet, private haven of a balcony, you probably won't feel the same way about booking an inside cabin.

Jonathan

That's a matter of personal opinion. We had a balcony on the Alllure after cruising in insides. We decided for run of the mill Caribbean cruises a balcony would be a waste of money. I have no problem going back to an inside.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on my Samsung Galaxy S3

When we first started cruising and were much younger, an inside was fine unless it was smaller than an oceanview, our only reason for picking an ocaanview on some lines. We were about and about on ship and not in the cabin much anyway.

As we have gotten older, we are in our cabin much more. Now we prefer a balcony.

Jonathan

This is an opinion I do not agree with. We select our cabin class based on itinerary and cost. We enjoy a balcony on a cruise with a lot of sea days in an area where the climate is likely to be conducive to sitting outside. On a port intensive cruise we often select inside because we will be off the ship more than on it. We have never missed a balcony when we have not had one.

Last January we booked an inside cabin for a South America cruise. Friends in our party chose to have a balcony, but hardly used it. It was too cold and windy for much of the southern part and very hot and humid around Buenos Aires. We paid about half of their price, and spent several days exploring before and after the cruise with the money we saved. We didn't regret our choice for a moment.

We have never sailed in a suite and probably never will. We have only chosen Oceanview once and wouldn't repeat that unless it was with a specific promotion. Seeing the outside without the ability to get fresh air isn't a benefit for us.

Jonathan

Really? On our Panama Canal cruise, my mother was upgraded to a great balcony cabin. We had an inside. and we did go out on her balcony....We are booked on three more cruises and we have booked all insides.....

I never though much of that "sweet, private, haven" called a balcony. Yes, it was pleasant a couple of time, but there are plenty of other places on the ship that were as pleasant or more pleasant that her balcony......