Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

I'm happy with having an inside cabin too, but as I mentioned earlier, being on Deck 2, I'm now worried about engine noise.

Would love to hear from anyone who might be able to put my mind at ease?

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Can you stay in your category and move up in the boat?

I have to say the affordability of the inside cabins was very appealing. It meant we could afford to put our 2 teenage girls (DD and friend) in their own cabin next door, and hubby and I could have our own room. A pretty big seller for me.

It's certainly interesting to hear what people think though.

As a mom of 3 teens. This is a big seller!

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

We are doing a Trans Pacific 35 days on Millennium, Honolulu to Singapore.

We booked AC an A1 cabin deck 11 on the aft.

We considered the amount of sea days the price and the venue then decided we wanted to enjoy it as much as we could. We wanted to embrace the waves so to speak.

We actually up graded to AC after much pondering.

We have done our fair share of insides but after a 12 day Princess cruise inside last fall we decide no more long cruises inside.

We have done T/A & even Miami to Valparaiso on X ships inside and enjoyed them.

Done an inside over looking the promenade on RCI which was interesting but never again for that either.

If it is not a "requirement" as posted by the living dead who require total darkness, it really comes down to cost.

You can leave the TV on the bow camera but it is hard to beat getting up walking out on the balcony to embrace the day even a stormy one.

Enjoying a breakfast or just a coffee on the balcony to start the day.

Watching a memorable port disappear on the horizon or pulling into a new exotic port and the ship maneuvers to dock.

Standing on the balcony arm around your spouse in the evening maybe with a glass of wine in hand.

One last look at the night sky before slipping into bed at night.

Or doing the verboten of sleeping with the balcony door open for the night breeze or even just leaving the drapes open to wake to a foreign sun rise.

The price of an inside cabin is worth it, but the value of a balcony is priceless.

Edited by baldercash

I'm happy with having an inside cabin too, but as I mentioned earlier, being on Deck 2, I'm now worried about engine noise.

Would love to hear from anyone who might be able to put my mind at ease?

On our first cruise hubby & I had an Ocean View (cabin 2050) on Rhapsody of the Seas on Deck 2. Cant say we had any issue with engine noise. So go forth and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by tillydog

Isn't that a bit harsh?

Yes, that statement is a bit harsh. It is also rude. Seems like people on CC are some of the nicest most helpful people but then there are the hateful posters that call people names and make judgemental statements if your opinion doesn't equal theirs. How unkind to call my husband the "living dead." He has been a police officer for 25 years, spending many of those doing shift work, which is why he needs total darkness. Coming home at 7am with the sun shining and normal household noises made it hard for him to sleep so the habit of total darkness and white noise came from that. Maybe we should all think about the feelings of others before we make comments.

Edited by MandyMooToo

Yes, that statement is a bit harsh. It is also rude. Seems like people on CC are some of the nicest most helpful people but then there are the hateful posters that call people names and make judgemental statements if your opinion doesn't equal theirs. How unkind to call my husband the "living dead." He has been a police officer for 25 years, spending many of those doing shift work, which is why he needs total darkness. Coming home at 7am with the sun shining and normal household noises made it hard for him to sleep so the habit of total darkness and white noise came from that. Maybe we should all think about the feelings of others before we make comments.

Many remind me of the "schoolyard' bullies". Sad really that adults behave this way. Hoping that they don't teach their children this same behaviour.

I think our preferences would be entirely different on a TA and an Alaskan cruise. We'd be much more likely to use a balcony then. Those are solid points.

The Med, with the port-heavy trips and the Caribbean just aren't places where we want to spend time in our stateroom other than sleeping.

We've done both and just don't spend time in our room doing nothing. I've tried to take a nap out on the balcony and our neighbors kept lighting up because they were out there as well. The magic smoke that wisps away to the ocean without ever bothering another living soul didn't work and it stank out there. I sleep better in the Solarium or on the St. Tropez deck if I want to lounge.

And as I said before, the oceanview tease is worthless to us. Oceanview isn't something we'd voluntarily do again. You get neither of the benefits. No fresh air, no outdoors, no darkness, no solitude.

ETA:

I can also say for the "breakfast on the balcony" folks, that I've never had that great of a room service meal. It's either been lukewarm, mushy, or just cold. I'd much rather visit the MDR... or if we don't get up right away... the WJ.

Edited by poncho1973

I see only two ways to cruise (all or nothing):

First is book the best balcony cabin you can afford. This is great, but you really have to spend lots of time there to make it worth while. Otherwise, you paid all that extra money for really nothing.

Second is book the cheapest cave and go there only to sleep. Seriously, shower at the gym/spa, hang out at the pool deck and lounges. Done right, you can easily cruise two or three times as often like this.

Why would you shower at the Gym/Spa? :confused:

Why would you shower at the Gym/Spa? :confused:

I have seen people post that they shower at the spa and or gym and often wondered if they were just teasing or if people really do this? Is there a public shower area at the spa/gym? My husband is a big fella and we laugh at his attempts at showering while trying not to knock a hole in the shower door with an elbow :p

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

Never booked anything but an inside cabin, even though as Diamond level we could get a balcony discount. We sleep (well); we shower; we dress. Then we're out of there.

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

I have seen people post that they shower at the spa and or gym and often wondered if they were just teasing or if people really do this? Is there a public shower area at the spa/gym? My husband is a big fella and we laugh at his attempts at showering while trying not to knock a hole in the shower door with an elbow :p

I am reasonably tall (6'2") but not excessively so. I was in a stateroom once where my head was less than the width of my fingers from the shower ceiling. I banged my knuckles on the ceiling a dozen times and then decided to shower in the gym.

Our last cruise on the Disney Dream, my wife bought us the Rainforest package because I won't go get a couples massage with her. We went down there at least once a day and wound up showering there (they have these scrubs you put on yourself in the Turkish Hamam and you need to shower them off) and found the extra room and huge towels to be a major perk.

Edited by poncho1973

I am reasonably tall (6'2") but not excessively so. I was in a stateroom once where my head was less than the width of my fingers from the shower ceiling. I banged my knuckles on the ceiling a dozen times and then decided to shower in the gym.

Our last cruise on the Disney Dream, my wife bought us the Rainforest package because I won't go get a couples massage with her. We went down there at least once a day and wound up showering there (they have these scrubs you put on yourself in the Turkish Hamam and you need to shower them off) and found the extra room and huge towels to be a major perk.

Thanks for the response, I think on our next cruise my husband may need to take advantage of the spa or gym showers!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by MandyMooToo

Wow, I am really shocked.

When I ran across a thread about inside vs. balconies I was expecting people to have some opinions about the topic.

However, nothing.

:D:D:D

You're new here aren't you? ;)

Edited by WetToes

Because it's more luxurious and spacious and makes you feel like a Queen!

I don't do that but I find it a fascinating and wonderful suggestion.