An Ex-Carnival Customer

sonicbuffalo

Royals Cabins are too small!

I don't believe I have to be loyal to Carnival only but Carnival has met my needs so far. I wouldn't use an ice skating rink, mountain climber, flo rider or any of that jazz so why pay for it? I cruise for the ports mainly as well and I've been happy with the Carnival products. I've looked at RCL cruises but nothing matches the time I can cruise and the departure ports or the price.

I just booked a 1A on the Ecstasy today- 185sq feet. On Royal it's 135sq ft- thats 50 sq feet LESS for 110 MORE $$$.....NO THANKS. I don't even want to feel what a 135sq feels like other than claustrophobic.

Our balcony cabin on the legend seemed to be the same size as our balcony cabin on the freedom. I think older royal ships have the smaller rooms but the new ones are comparable to carnival.

We went on Breeze in January 2013 and loved it. I wanted to try something different so we booked a 4 day on RCCL Liberty to depart Janaury 2014. Then we saw a great deal for 6 day Breeze to Key West, Grand Turk and Nassau January 2014. For $200 more, we got a Breeze interior spa room vs. interior promenade view on RCCL. Also, six days vs. four and three stops vs. one (Cozumel). It was a no brainer. So, I am not tied to any particular cruiseline and willing to try anything, but the price and itinerary keeps bringing us back to Carnival. Been on the Oasis and truthfully, although it is a better ship with more to do, we felt more at home and relaxed on the Breeze. JMHO.

Royals Cabins are too small!

I don't believe I have to be loyal to Carnival only but Carnival has met my needs so far. I wouldn't use an ice skating rink, mountain climber, flo rider or any of that jazz so why pay for it? I cruise for the ports mainly as well and I've been happy with the Carnival products. I've looked at RCL cruises but nothing matches the time I can cruise and the departure ports or the price.

I just booked a 1A on the Ecstasy today- 185sq feet. On Royal it's 135sq ft- thats 50 sq feet LESS for 110 MORE $$$.....NO THANKS. I don't even want to feel what a 135sq feels like other than claustrophobic.

I totally agree....Dennis

Someone on another thread was just saying he thinks suites on Carnival should get more perks and I was reminded of posters who said just what you said. Of course lets be honest, the ONE row of lounge chairs for suites is up on the tiered part, not in front of the pool, which is open to everyone.

Oh, and the theater seating for diamonds.. bah humbug. Im diamond and it's not true. Diamond used to be 10 cruises, same as platinum. Do you really think they are going to section off theater seating for all the diamonds on a cruise.. and there are lots. Again this is for suites .. not for diamonds

The only restaurant I can think of is one of the pay restaurants, if you are in a SUITE, you get a gold card and can eat breakfast in there. And for breakfast diamonds do get to sit off in a wing of the MDR, and get free capachino.. and espresso. WOW. free espresso .. Carnival used to give its dinner folks this for free and took it away. Once I did get a invitation to a special lunch .. but not since then. I think it had to do with the sailing.

I think you got diamonds mixed up with suite perks a bit. As a diamond the only thing you got right above is I do get to eat breakfast in a wing of the MDR and get free specialty coffee. Thats it .. coffee. I thought the food was just fine and the buffet upstairs for dinner these days beats Carnival's all to heck.

Lunch and breakfast I would say is comparable, neither is better that I notice... though my last RCL I found some really good ribs on the lunch better and I like how RCL does its MDR for lunch where there is a salad in the middle of the room and you get up and can get one made to order with whatever you want in it and some hot foods on the side besides ordering from the menu. So, for lunch I also give RCL the edge. Im not crazy about Carnival's new brunch, though I love Guys's burgers.

Hey, I still love my Carnival cruises .. but I dont think they are better than RCL, I just think they are usually CHEAPER. If you are going to spout off at least get your facts straight between diamond a loyalty level and suite perks.

when I was on the freedom of the seas, they had 3-4 rows blocked off for their suite and diamond guests in the theater and ice rink as well as an upper portion of the deck for lounging.

Our past cruise discount makes it so easy to stay with carnival. I'm also the only person who isn't a fan of RCI's amenities - I don't care about the flow rider or skating rink - I feel like it takes up to much space that could be for pools.

I don't care for that stuff either. ice rink? didn't use it. rock wall? didn't do it. don't ever care too. flow rider? fun to watch, but didn't do it. saw one guy break his arm on that on the freedom of seas. and wouldn't you know...RCL no responsible lol. I know they sign a waiver, but still, a bit to dangerous for me. I wont pay double the cruise cost again for RCL

I guess since we booked the Allure of the Seas, we are now officially ex-Carnival customers. We have a NCL 11 day itinerary for this year and a 7 day cruise for 2014 for our 35th anniversary. I won't delve into why we chose to leave Carnival, except to say we had great cruises with them over 4 years.

We are sad to leave, but it's time to try other cruise lines, and see what they have to offer. Carnival has just become too bland for our taste. They haven't really improved their product while the other lines have. The itineraries also have a lot to do with it too.

My question is this: "Why have you chosen to stay with Carnival and do you see yourself branching out to other lines?"

Unless you were in a relationship with Carnival you are not an EX anything just a past customer. Unlike relationships MANY of us have chosen to lay on on other decks (RCCL 8x, Carnival 4x, Princess 2x). Being loyal to one line or one type of vacation isn't even an option for me, so a land vacation to the Caribbean is a few weeks after Hawaii this past February and a Caribbean cruise on Carnival at the end of March. I assume you posted just show off that you have booked Monstrosity of the Sea, which is OK for what you are paying, CONGRATS!

I don't care for that stuff either. ice rink? didn't use it. rock wall? didn't do it. don't ever care too. flow rider? fun to watch, but didn't do it. saw one guy break his arm on that on the freedom of seas. and wouldn't you know...RCL no responsible lol. I know they sign a waiver, but still, a bit to dangerous for me. I wont pay double the cruise cost again for RCL

Why would royal be responsible? You assume the risk when you partake in activities like this. Having rented jet skis and four wheelers on vacation, they always make you sign a waiver that they are not responsible if you are injured. It's pretty standard.

The things people use as a reason to knock other lines... :rolleyes:

IMO one line isn't better than another. It's all about what is important to each person on vacation. I don't see why people need to bash other lines just to validate their own choice of line.

After 13 cruises with Carnival we have decided to branch out and try some different cruise lines. We have an 8 day booked on the Independence of the Seas in November. The Carnival product, to us, has evolved into something that just doesn't suit us anymore. Or maybe it's cause I am just getting old!

That could be it. I am still hurting (my knees gave out on the dance floor) from my last Carnival cruise to the point to planning my next trip on Princess.

I'm not opposed to trying other lines, but itinerary and price are deciding factors. I priced a Royal Caribbean cruise when we were looking at Baltic itineraries. It was only a 10 day compared to our 12 day on the Carnival Legend, and it was more expensive. Since this is a port-intensive cruise with less time to spend on-board, I couldn't see paying more for the Royal cruise. Carnival is also giving me extra sea days which I need in order to get some relaxation on this trip.

I hope to do an Alaskan cruise next, and I will look at all the options. But, apples to apples, if other lines are considerably more expensive, I will have no problem choosing Carnival again, especially since the airfare will be expensive. If another line has a better itinerary and is only slightly more expensive, I will give them a try.

All cruise lines are good to us! We mainly sail Carnival, because of convenience, itinerary, they sail the Caribbean in the spring/summer months, etc. We also are trying the NCL 11 day Southern Caribbean in December, and are VERY excited to try something new!

We currently have 3 Carnival cruises booked, and one NCL. We are researching for next summer and winter, and will probably book a Disney cruise in August. (only because this will be our youngest daughter's graduation present from Physician Assistant program, and it is what she really wants, Disney prices just floor me!!!!). We will also probably book another Carnival cruise over the summer, hopefully the Sunshine (waiting for the summer 2014 itinerary to come out!), and next winter, we are thinking of NCL again, or maybe RCCL.

Like I said, they are ALL good, and we are always open to try something new, and are always open to sailing with Carnival again!

what was the other cruise line? I see you have 18 listed with Carnival and 1 with RCI. :confused:

Bill

Honestly, I don't remember what cruise line it was.....it was when I was 4-5 years old with my parents so I haven't listed it.

But the point I was trying to make is that it's ok to try other cruise lines without giving up Carnival for good....hope this clarifies this for you :)

But wait, Carnival has none of those things? No specialty dining? No early, late, and/or anytime dining? Do they not have regular show schedules? Who knew?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have to eat in a specialty restaurant to have a good meal on Carnival, that's a frequent complaint that I read about Royal.

Don't some cruise lines require reservation for various evening entertainment.

I do read reviews of other cruise lines and it all seems like it takes a lot more planning and scheduling.

[quote=okgirl;3872518

Don't some cruise lines require reservation for various evening entertainment.

I do read reviews of other cruise lines and it all seems like it takes a lot more planning and scheduling.

RCL has reservations for its shows because they have a lot of shows! They want to distribute people and helps plans things out. I think we have seven different shows (Ice skating show, Chicago, etc, planned out).

What entertainment does CCL have that requires this? The Hasbro show? Marriage game? CCL's "entertainment" is so pathetic that you can always find an empty seat. If not before the show, just wait for people to walk out.

Surprising as it might sound, people would rather see a show with ice skating professionals than seeing fellow trying to get their 15 minutes of fame by being the "entertainment".

A spoon and a string is not entertainment!

when I was on the freedom of the seas, they had 3-4 rows blocked off for their suite and diamond guests in the theater and ice rink as well as an upper portion of the deck for lounging.

I suppose I will find out for sure in a few months, but I've read that those reserved theater seats for suite guests are in the balcony, albeit in the first few rows. Most folks with one of those RC gold cards are saying forget those reserved seats and just get to the show a little early for better seats on the main floor. The ice shows are a different story apparently - you do need reservations for that regardless of your loyalty/cabin level.

For those of you who say Royal is out of your price range....

Galveston 7 day options: Carnival Magic and Royal Navigator OTS.

Royal is often cheaper and when that is the case, we pick Royal.

(TAs can give you amenities with Royal that they can't with Carnival)

RCL has reservations for its shows because they have a lot of shows! They want to distribute people and helps plans things out. I think we have seven different shows (Ice skating show, Chicago, etc, planned out).

What entertainment does CCL have that requires this? The Hasbro show? Marriage game? CCL's "entertainment" is so pathetic that you can always find an empty seat. If not before the show, just wait for people to walk out.

So why are you here?

We have tried three other cruise lines and enjoyed them all. Each has an area where they are better than the others, in my opinion, but they are all more alike than different. While we have not been on Royals larger ships or NCL's newer ships we feel comfortable with Carnival.

At 62, I probably wouldn't use the flow rider and wouldn't be interested in the rock climbing wall so a lot of what is extra on these ships isn't for me. I would love the zip line though. We will sail on the Oasis or Allure one of these days, but not at the prices they are charging now. It's more likely our next RCCL cruise will be on Freedom of the Seas.

We have been looking at NCL again but haven't seen any itinerary that jumps out at us except when we go back to Hawaii in 2015.

Princess has a lot of cruises that interest us and will probably be a line that we sail on more in the future.

Perhaps with Bob Dickinson coming back to Carnival as a consultant will help. I hope he recommends that they get back to the basics; well maintained ships, good food and service and good entertainment at a fair price. You don't need all the bells and whistles if you can provide that consistently. The bells and whistles are nice though and for the people that use them they are probably worth the extra price.

Every line has their own problems. Royal had a fire and a murder recently and Disney had a sexual assault by a crew member on a minor, but Carnival has had a lot of problems in a short period of time. Big difference between Royal and Carnival is how the CEO handled the situation. Royal Caribbean seemed to be on top of things and Carnival 's Jerry Cahill seemed lost. Poor leadership in my opinion.

Bottom line is we have and will continue to try other lines but will continue to go back to Carnival as well.

The first highlighted statement speaks volumes about how you feel. This is not supposed to be an us verses them board. It is meant to be informative and helpful. All statements like this do is create an unpleasant atmosphere of name calling.:(

The second highlighted statement is simply not true. An out and out falsehood.:(

I suppose I will find out for sure in a few months, but I've read that those reserved theater seats for suite guests are in the balcony, albeit in the first few rows. Most folks with one of those RC gold cards are saying forget those reserved seats and just get to the show a little early for better seats on the main floor. The ice shows are a different story apparently - you do need reservations for that regardless of your loyalty/cabin level.

If you show up a little late, they open the reserved area for everyone at showtime but I've never had a problem finding a seat elsewhere.

If you show up a little late, they open the reserved area for everyone at showtime but I've never had a problem finding a seat elsewhere.

And the reserved seating, at least on the freedom, were not the best seats. Just getting to the theater a few minutes early and you can get good seats.

Why are you here?

To learn about cruises that are in my price range, from departure zones that aren't too expensive for me to get to.

If that happens to annoy you, I'm sorry. In my next life I'll be sure to have tons of money, and I'll try to please you.

Until then, can you learn to tolerate us that are just getting by?

Archived