New England/ Canada trip highlights

sjde

We did the New England/Canada 7 night cruise on the Maasdam, starting in Montreal in early June and ending in Boston.

The weather, except for Montreal, was a little cool, with two or three perfect days.

Montreal Old Town is lovely. And really hopping at night! It was in the upper 80's and about 75% humidity! A server told me that isn't unusual but it was early this year. We stayed at the Auberge du Vieux Port--wonderful location and rooms. We walked to Parc Mont Royal. We ate at Holder, and Marche de la Villette. For luch-Olive and Gourmando and that was the best! Wanted to try Bevo for pizza but just not enough time. Also had a drink one evening on the "porch" of the Hotel Nelligan. It's on Rue St Paul, the main street, and has two huge windows about 10' X 8-10' or larger. They were hinged and open. There were chairs around a table-2 small seating areas like that. GREAT spot for people watching.

The cruise had a lot of pluses. We liked the entertainment--the nightly shows , the dance music in the Ocean Bar, the HALcats on the pool deck (jazz) and best of all, Stryker, the pianist/singer in the Mix Bar every evening. He has singalong books and it was such great fun. Moon River, Sweet Caroline, Que Sera Sera, Summertime, Cabaret, etc.

We also liked their ON Location program which seems to have been copied from the river cruises. They'll have local foods, music, etc on the pool deck.

Great library.

Coffee wasn't very good, even where you paid extra in the coffee bar.

I had some of their vegetarian meals (Tofu Korma was one) and they were excellent! Great desserts in the Lido-they always bread pudding and cobbler/crisp, and something good called a cupcake but looked more like a muffin. Good brownies. Didn't care for the mousse or tiramisu (tasty but almost no cake in it). Muesli was excellent. I only saw waffles one morning.

We personally didn't think the Le Cirque dinner was worth the extra cost--next time we'd eat at The Pinnacle Grill. (Though the soups--Butternut squash and a chilled yogurt) were very tasty.

Service all around was wonderful.

We loved Quebec. Had coffee at Cafe Baude on Rue Baude. And a glass of wine /hot chicolate at the Frontenac. These 2 ports were our favorites along with Bar Harbor.

In Sydney we took an excursion- Taste of the Cabot Trail. It was nice and included lunch but was too much time on a bus really.

Our shore excursion in Halifax was cancelled--to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. Not happy about that. You'd think with 1250 people onboard there would've been 50 who'd have wanted to do that. Or have it go even with 25 to keep customers happy. I'm sure the other full ones would make up for it.

In Boston we paid $8.50 for a taxi to the Boston Harbor hotel where the Rowe's Wharf water taxi is. They stored our luggage so we could walk around the North End for 3 hours before they took us to the airport. The water taxi is $10 each.

We had a pizza lunch at Regina (pretty good) and a turtle brownie from Mike's Pastry (awesome!).

Sad to have it end, but always good to be home.

Our shore excursion in Halifax was cancelled--to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. Not happy about that. You'd think with 1250 people onboard there would've been 50 who'd have wanted to do that. Or have it go even with 25 to keep customers happy. I'm sure the other full ones would make up for it.

You wrote an excellent review.

I totally agree with your comment above...25 customers could have certainly been kept happy, with no major loss resulting to HAL's bottom line. Public relations seems to be a dying art in the cruise industry.

We did the New England/Canada 7 night cruise on the Maasdam, starting in Montreal in early June and ending in Boston.

The weather, except for Montreal, was a little cool, with two or three perfect days.

Montreal Old Town is lovely. And really hopping at night! It was in the upper 80's and about 75% humidity! A server told me that isn't unusual but it was early this year. We stayed at the Auberge du Vieux Port--wonderful location and rooms. We walked to Parc Mont Royal. We ate at Holder, and Marche de la Villette. For luch-Olive and Gourmando and that was the best! Wanted to try Bevo for pizza but just not enough time. Also had a drink one evening on the "porch" of the Hotel Nelligan. It's on Rue St Paul, the main street, and has two huge windows about 10' X 8-10' or larger. They were hinged and open. There were chairs around a table-2 small seating areas like that. GREAT spot for people watching.

The cruise had a lot of pluses. We liked the entertainment--the nightly shows , the dance music in the Ocean Bar, the HALcats on the pool deck (jazz) and best of all, Stryker, the pianist/singer in the Mix Bar every evening. He has singalong books and it was such great fun. Moon River, Sweet Caroline, Que Sera Sera, Summertime, Cabaret, etc.

We also liked their ON Location program which seems to have been copied from the river cruises. They'll have local foods, music, etc on the pool deck.

Great library.

Coffee wasn't very good, even where you paid extra in the coffee bar.

I had some of their vegetarian meals (Tofu Korma was one) and they were excellent! Great desserts in the Lido-they always bread pudding and cobbler/crisp, and something good called a cupcake but looked more like a muffin. Good brownies. Didn't care for the mousse or tiramisu (tasty but almost no cake in it). Muesli was excellent. I only saw waffles one morning.

We personally didn't think the Le Cirque dinner was worth the extra cost--next time we'd eat at The Pinnacle Grill. (Though the soups--Butternut squash and a chilled yogurt) were very tasty.

Service all around was wonderful.

We loved Quebec. Had coffee at Cafe Baude on Rue Baude. And a glass of wine /hot chicolate at the Frontenac. These 2 ports were our favorites along with Bar Harbor.

In Sydney we took an excursion- Taste of the Cabot Trail. It was nice and included lunch but was too much time on a bus really.

In Boston we paid $8.50 for a taxi to the Boston Harbor hotel where the Rowe's Wharf water taxi is. They stored our luggage so we could walk around the North End for 3 hours before they took us to the airport. The water taxi is $10 each.

We had a pizza lunch at Regina (pretty good) and a turtle brownie from Mike's Pastry (awesome!).

Sad to have it end, but always good to be home.

Thank you for your review. Great information. I am glad you enjoyed your cruise and Québec city (my home town).

By the way, the name of the café is Café Buade on rue Buade (not Baude), a great place for a bite !

Louise

Thank you--and for the correction!

I don't know that they had even 25 who'd signed up for the excursion. They never told us. It's just that couldn't it have gone even if not full?

The burgers and fries by the pool were excellent too. They also had sweet potato fries and salmon burgers but we didn't try those. The meatloaf and pasta in the Lido were great too.

Thanks for your review. We've done that Maasdam cruise a number of times and I always enjoy reading people's comments about it.

Sounds like you had a great time.

Welcome back.

Can you elaborate on why you did not care for the Le Cirque dinner?

Was it the actual food or that you did not like the menu offerings?

I booked this on our June 29 sailing so based on your reply I may decide to cancel and get a refund.

Thanks

Thanks for the review.. very very helpful..

one thing about shore excursions.. the cruise line doesn't run them.. they "purchase" them from a local tour company, who sets the Minimum numbers of people that make the excursion worth the time and effort (pays for the gas, the tour guide etc). of course the cruise line adds on to the cost so they make a little money (to pay the tour desk people, issue the tickets etc).

it's possible that particular tour just didn't even have the minimum number required. but the ship should have offered you an alternative and done this at least 24 to 48 hour prior to the tour (which is when the tour company would need to know how many they would have...

Not sticking up for HAL .. wasn't there, so don't know the full circumstances.. just trying to explain it a little.. (worked in the industry many moons ago.. some things never change..or change very little)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the great review. We are doing on Montreal to Boston Maasdam cruise this week and I am trying to figure out were to store our luggage for couple of hours before flight , so we we can have a small tour of Boston. Did you have to make previous arrangements with Boston Harbor hotel , or you can just come and ask them for a favor?

Thanks!

It's actually the Rowes wharf water taxi and I THINK you can arrange ahead of time . We didn't & there was no one at the counter but there was a phone you could pick up to call them.

All our experience doing that itinerary b-to-b, they most usually start embarkation in Montreal around 11:30. It is an old terminal and does not always flow as smoothly as we all would like but everyone is very friendly and nice and they make it as pleasant to process through there as possible.

What time did you check in and what time did they begin boarding in Montreal?

I embarked in Montreal a few weeks ago. I arrived a little before 11:30, and asked for wheelchair assistance. It took a few minutes for a steward to bring me the chair, but then I was taken immediately to the check-in desk, processed and wheeled aboard without a wait.

Boarding had started, but there were many waiting for their number to be called.

• 9 months later...

The weather, except for Montreal, was a little cool, with two or three perfect days. /QUOTE]

We are doing this cruise this year, do you think we may also have cooler weather, what kinds of clothes did you pack, we are used to wearing shorts all the time but think its gonna be jeans, long sleeves and sweaters and jacket weather. Please give me your opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'll be doing the same cruise in reverse in late may, Boston to Montreal.

Am quite looking forward to it, it'll be the first time I cruise in closed waters, I imagine the views along the St-Lawrence seaway on sea days must be very nice.

And being a Montreal resident, this will be the first time I can get off a cruise and take the subway home! :D

Pat

The weather, except for Montreal, was a little cool, with two or three perfect days. /QUOTE]

We are doing this cruise this year, do you think we may also have cooler weather, what kinds of clothes did you pack, we are used to wearing shorts all the time but think its gonna be jeans, long sleeves and sweaters and jacket weather. Please give me your opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

About what date are you cruising?

You will have considerably warmer weather in mid August than late May, for example.

I'll be doing the same cruise in reverse in late may, Boston to Montreal.

Am quite looking forward to it, it'll be the first time I cruise in closed waters, I imagine the views along the St-Lawrence seaway on sea days must be very nice.

And being a Montreal resident, this will be the first time I can get off a cruise and take the subway home! :D

Pat

We are from Boston and loved boarding in Boston, sailing to Montreal, staying aboard for the next voyage and cruising back to Boston. :) No airports or planes at all. :)