Royal Princess Pictures

NdCottman

Great pics! She really looks lovely. I love a lot of the carpets and lighting that were used. A big step up in elegance and sophistication from existing Princess ships. Some of the decor and treatments really remind me of Cunard, which is no surprise since the same designers were used for QUEEN VICTORIA and QUEEN ELIZABETH.

Thanks for posting the link. Did anyone else notice how small the balcony is? There doesn't even seem to be enough room to walk around on it. How are they ever going to be able to do a Balcony Dinner on it. I am in no hurry to sail on this ship, I think I'll stick with the other ships.

Did anybody see anything on this ship that impressed them? A lot of glitz in the public areas, but not much substance, it seems to me. Who would pay extra money, for example, to sit and watch TV in a cabana on deck?

And where is the promenade deck???

And what is the purpose of the "plunge pool?" It looks like a small version of a hot tub. Is the area around that pool filled with water, so more than 3 people can be cool and wet?

The cabins were bland, at best, the balcony cabin bathrooms seriously unimpressive and the balconies themselves (as others have pointed out) a joke, even in the suite! We had larger balconies on Carnival, not to mention Celebrity and HAL.

I have never sailed on Princess, although I have wanted to. This ship, however, does not induce me at all.

Did anybody see anything on this ship that impressed them? A lot of glitz in the public areas, but not much substance, it seems to me. Who would pay extra money, for example, to sit and watch TV in a cabana on deck?

And where is the promenade deck???

And what is the purpose of the "plunge pool?" It looks like a small version of a hot tub. Is the area around that pool filled with water, so more than 3 people can be cool and wet?

The cabins were bland, at best, the balcony cabin bathrooms seriously unimpressive and the balconies themselves (as others have pointed out) a joke, even in the suite! We had larger balconies on Carnival, not to mention Celebrity and HAL.

I have never sailed on Princess, although I have wanted to. This ship, however, does not induce me at all.

We were thinking about cruising on the Royal, but from what I have seen we probably will not. The atrium and piazza looks great as well as the new Horizon Court. But the lack of the promenade, the size of the balconies are changing our minds very quickly.

The balconies on the Penthouse Suites are ridiculous! They could not be more than 4' deep.

Maybe they have the wrong pictures titled.:(

Mike

I doubt the pictures were wrong. I visited some friends in a Penthouse Suite on the Ruby last year, their balcony was the same small size, unlike the Balcony we had on the Diamond Princess which had a dining table, 4 chairs plus two loungers, and plenty of space to move around. I doubt I will pay more for a Penthouse Suite if the balconies are this size. We spend most of our time on our balcony.

Linda

The balconies on the Penthouse Suites are ridiculous! They could not be more than 4' deep.

Maybe they have the wrong pictures titled.:(

Mike

I was just about to post the same thing. That has to be a mistake. If not... OMG what are they thinking. Not really feeling any regret about canceling the Transatlantic.

We've been on The Emerald and they weren't that small. I thought the Ruby and Emerald were twins?

In any case, I won't be a candidate for a suite that the balcony will not even accommodate a chaise.:(

Mike:)

I was just about to post the same thing. That has to be a mistake. If not... OMG what are they thinking.

Or NOT thinking???

If the pictures are correct they might as well reclassify those cabins as balconies because I seriously doubt they will sell as suites once the word gets out.

Mike:)

There's lots that impresses me but there's an equal amount that I'm not happy with. Balcony size, lack of pools. Everything just looks like its been designed to make me part with my money quickly. We're balcony people and spend a lot of time out there, sometimes all three meals a day. Those tiny things aren't going to cut it for us.

For me, I see SO much that has me excited to board the Royal in November! The Atrium is breathtaking with so many small venues to experience! The Retreat Pool looks like a great place to unwind, although DH and I are considering splurging for the Sanctuary...ahh, a comfy chair, my kindle and a cocktail! As for the balconies, yep they're on the small side, but still big enough to sit and enjoy a beautiful view of the Caribbean! And with so many new places to explore, I doubt we'll be spending too much time on the balcony anyway. (Although, I do love my tea there in the morning!). I'm just excited to be on a brand new ship, enjoying down time with DH! Not a thing to complain about, we'll be on vacation! :D:D

Thank you for posting this. I enjoyed looking through the pictures. Some amazing venues. The only thing I didn't like was the mini-suite balcony picture. Yikes, so small compared to the current ships. I'm hoping future cruisers will post some of the mini-suite balconies that appear to be larger or angled.

I did a few dummy bookings to check the sizes of mini-suites and their balconies on the various ship using the square footage on the Princess site. Here's a summary:

Grand class minis - 323 total sq ft/49 sq ft balcony/274 sq ft cabin

Island/Coral minis - 302 total sq ft/ 49 sq ft balcony/253 sq ft cabin

Royal mini - 299 total sq ft/36 sq ft balcony/263 sq ft cabin

Royal mini (MA with angled balcony under Seawalk) -

1. 329 total/72 sq ft balcony/257 sq ft cabin

2. 319 total sq ft/72 sq ft/247 sq ft cabin

So the balconies are 13 sq feet smaller for most minis on Royal as compared to Grand class and Island. The Royal minis with the larger balconies appear to have smaller cabin size although you can't tell that from the deck plans. Given the lack of privacy for those larger balconies,the price premium and smaller interior space, I think those cabins are going to be a tough sale in the future.

I did a few dummy bookings to check the sizes of mini-suites and their balconies on the various ship using the square footage on the Princess site. Here's a summary:

Grand class minis - 323 total sq ft/49 sq ft balcony/274 sq ft cabin

Island/Coral minis - 302 total sq ft/ 49 sq ft balcony/253 sq ft cabin

Royal mini - 299 total sq ft/36 sq ft balcony/263 sq ft cabin

Royal mini (MA with angled balcony under Seawalk) -

1. 329 total/72 sq ft balcony/257 sq ft cabin

2. 319 total sq ft/72 sq ft/247 sq ft cabin

So the balconies are 13 sq feet smaller for most minis on Royal as compared to Grand class and Island. The Royal minis with the larger balconies appear to have smaller cabin size although you can't tell that from the deck plans. Given the lack of privacy for those larger balconies,the price premium and smaller interior space, I think those cabins are going to be a tough sale in the future.

I just did a dummy booking on Diamond and the mini suite balcony is 65 sq ft. Just a random cabin on Dolphin deck.

Type: Mini-Suite

Category: MB

Deck: 9 (Dolphin)

Bath Type: Shower/tub

Connecting Room: N/A

Total Size: 354 sq. ft.

Includes Balcony of 65 sq. ft.

Thank you for the link. I'm just a little disappointed on how small (really small) the mini-suite balcony is. No walking room at all :(

This is especially true when you consider that minis are the cabins of choice for many people who travel with 3 or 4 in their group. No way can you put more than 2 people on that balcony. I would have to book one of the extended balconies under the Sea Walk if I wanted to enjoy a cruise where mom, dad and daughter could all have breakfast on the balcony as we are used to. Even that might be tight.

There's lots that impresses me but there's an equal amount that I'm not happy with. Balcony size, lack of pools. Everything just looks like its been designed to make me part with my money quickly. We're balcony people and spend a lot of time out there, sometimes all three meals a day. Those tiny things aren't going to cut it for us.

I'm afraid that the balconies (or lack thereof) have sealed the deal for us as well unless I could book one of the corner forward minis on Lido or Marina but the odds are against it. We are balcony people too and if all 3 of us cannot be out there together, it is a deal breaker.

Archived