Credit card to use? (world cruise)

FL..NC

I have a Bank of America card the I can set up automatic payments to be taken out of my checking. This same account gives me triple points for travel (planes, trains, hotels, cruise lines, etc.) expenses charged to the card.

Enjoy your world cruise!

Be sure there is no foreign transaction fee. Some cards charge 3-4 percent on foreign charges. Capital One is free and no foreign fee.

Capitol one is a good one, but I don't think you can have the payments withheld automatically, at least not for the full balance. Since I travel on Amtrak a lot I use their card for many things and do have it set up for automatic payments. However, they do have a foreign transaction fee.

I have a card with my credit union, with automatic payments and no fees. I also use my Capitol One a lot and go online to make payments.

Roy

My Chase Visa cards worked well for me. Your shipboard expenses can be delayed for charge purposes by HAL until the end of the cruise.

I kept sufficient funds in two supplimentary accounts, just in case I needed to draw upon them. I never did.

I have a Capital One Signature visa card and you can set up your account online to make auto payments.

First, log into you online account. The second tab from the left says PAYMENTS. Click on that to bring up the payment screen. Under payments, the third tab from the left is MANAGE AUTOPAY. Click on that. First you will have to enter for your banking account information (bank name, routing & account numbers). Once you do that, you can choose to either pay the minimum amount, the full balance, or an amount of your choosing. It will also ask you to choose which day of the month to send your payment.

I don't know if EVERY Capital One credit card will allow automatic payments. I have a Chase Mastercard that can have automatic payments, but their options are only full balance or minimum payment. You can't enter your own amount.

You can also prepay a credit card so that you do not have to enter online banking and float your account numbers over wifi in exotic locales.

Since HAL charges the card at the end of the cruise we usually prepay an amount sufficient to cover anticipated on shore expenses so that we incur no fees during travel.

We also carry old fashioned traveler's checks as the front desk will cash them free of charge on board and we always have a source of ready cash without having to spend time in port searching out an ATM.

In Dubai last fall we found it difficult to impossible to use our credit cards for many things (even the cards with the chips).

I'm confused....you get charged foreign transaction fees on a World Cruise using the card you give HAL to pay for your onboard account?

Roz

I'm confused....you get charged foreign transaction fees on a World Cruise using the card you give HAL to pay for your onboard account?

Roz

I'm not sure exactly which is meant: paying for cruise, paying for onboard expenses, or paying in foreign ports. We use different cards. For the ship payments and onboard we use one that has a high limit and gives us cash. For foreign ports in different currencies, we use on that does not charge ATM fees (and refunds those that the ATM guys charge), and does not have a foreign currency transaction fee.

We have bill paying set up so that it is all handled automatically or online to avoid late payments. We also like to have more than one card so if one has to be cancelled we have a backup.

One more thing, check your cards for expiration dates so you aren't caught out somewhere. They don't all send out replacement cards automatically.

Roz

If your card is U.S., you will not have a foreign transaction fee for your onboard account as HAL does all transactions in U.S. dollars. The foreign transaction fees would apply to purchases/charges made in various ports along the way if your bank charges foreign transaction fees.

One you can have your payment, to come out of your checking automatically . Thanks.........

I think you can have any credit card set up automatic payments through your checking account by sending the credit card company a voided check from your checking account. That is what we did for our Bank of America card and our State Farm credit cards.

Archived