Meet & Greet

Ronniewales

Just a few questions regarding a meet & greet we are organising for a Aug 13 sailing on Marina.

1. Do Oceania provide a room with refreshments foc.

2. Is there a minimum number of passengers required for this to happen.

3. Does the Captain or senior officers attend.

That's a shame every other cruise line I have been on supports it and the captain of NCL Epic attended where there were over 3000 passengers on board so it showed that CC forum members are treated with respect.

On Azamara all the main officers attended and were extremely friendly and did not rush off after introductions.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am still at a loss as to why its important to have the Captain or any other officer come to gatherings... or have a big whoopee- do at all.

Aren't these things for the benefit of us.. not them....

I somehow bet that the officers and staff of the ship have been waiting all their lives to meet me; I know I have not

All I can say is that Oceania is not Azamara or NCL. I've sailed Celebrity (which has the same Meet & Greet policies as Azamara) and NCL, and I both appreciate and like what they do for Meet & Greets. But, Oceania is so far superior to either line (in my humble opinion, and waving my cheerleader pom poms :rolleyes:) that the lack of support for a Meet & Greet is not going to ruin my cruise.

Personally can't understand why this whole topic is so important to anyone.

We have attended small M&G on Oceania and have not ever felt the need

to have staff attend or to have food provided. Oceania is not NCL or Celebrity

and some of us are very happy that they are not.:rolleyes:

Holy Smoke! The OP just asked a question and is obviously new to O, and the query is not unreasonable.Why jump all over him or her? You hang out on this forum for reasons of sociability and because you have a dedicated interest in O, and want to usher others into that maritime experience. I count on you for insights. Don't make wonder whether by asking a question I will be exposed to ridicule. Please.

On a totally different subjcet, way back in the '60's I flew from Pensacola and landed on a carrier doing training exercises in the Florida Gulf. Was that the Midway, or the Hornet or Wasp? I seem to be having a senior week.

On a totally different subjcet, way back in the '60's I flew from Pensacola and landed on a carrier doing training exercises in the Florida Gulf. Was that the Midway, or the Hornet or Wasp? I seem to be having a senior week.

Since The Midway and Hornet were Pacific based carriers and The Wasp (CV-18) operated mainly in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Caribbean, I would guess it was The Wasp. She played a prominent role in the manned space program, serving as the recovery ship for three missions: Gemini VI, VII, and IX.

Sounds like the Wasp, Essex-class, CV-18.

Personally can't understand why this whole topic is so important to anyone.

We have attended small M&G on Oceania and have not ever felt the need

to have staff attend or to have food provided. Oceania is not NCL or Celebrity

and some of us are very happy that they are not.:rolleyes:

You and some of the others who have posted on this thread make O sound like an elite cruise line and look down on the other lines.....

Thank you writer100 for restoring my faith in O cruisers.

Edited by Ronniewales

Just a few questions regarding a meet & greet we are organising for a Aug 13 sailing on Marina.

1. Do Oceania provide a room with refreshments foc.

2. Is there a minimum number of passengers required for this to happen.

3. Does the Captain or senior officers attend.

No on all three.

My experience with our M&G this past Sept on Marina: We were over 110 persons on our R.Call. We met in Horizons after the M.Drill. The list-keeper from the RollCall had made name tags, and those who wanted to attend simply wandered into the lounge & easily identified people from the group. One thing to remember is that you are on vacation, so don't worry about the extra stuff...keep it informal, less things can go wrong. I think that O does not get involved with the M&G because it's not 'that type of ship'. I have read that some M&G organizers met with the concierge but only once they were on board (mixed responses). Everyone will enjoy the gathering, they'll order their own refreshments and you'll all have a great time. BonVoyage!

Since The Midway and Hornet were Pacific based carriers and The Wasp (CV-18) operated mainly in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Caribbean, I would guess it was The Wasp. She played a prominent role in the manned space program, serving as the recovery ship for three missions: Gemini VI, VII, and IX.

I was on the Wasp when she was home ported in Boston in 1966. She was designated as CVS-18 then. There was a lot of Gemini recovery exercises going on and she did sail quite a bit down in the Caribbean and off VA-CAPES.

I was on the Wasp when she was home ported in Boston in 1966. She was designated as CVS-18 then. There was a lot of Gemini recovery exercises going on and she did sail quite a bit down in the Caribbean and off VA-CAPES.

Thanks to the old salts for their insights. I checked my "diploma" as an Honorary Airdale and the date in question was June 3, 1971. The pilot was practicing touch 'n goes, so I really should have gotten 20 diplomas. Very exciting for a non-aviator. From some of the maneuvers we performed on the way to the carrier--barrel rolls, Immelmans-- i think the pilot wanted to see an air sick writer. I almost, but not quite, obliged. Would it have been the Wasp in 1971?

Again, many thanks for the input.

No on all three.

My experience with our M&G this past Sept on Marina: We were over 110 persons on our R.Call. We met in Horizons after the M.Drill. The list-keeper from the RollCall had made name tags, and those who wanted to attend simply wandered into the lounge & easily identified people from the group. One thing to remember is that you are on vacation, so don't worry about the extra stuff...keep it informal, less things can go wrong. I think that O does not get involved with the M&G because it's not 'that type of ship'. I have read that some M&G organizers met with the concierge but only once they were on board (mixed responses). Everyone will enjoy the gathering, they'll order their own refreshments and you'll all have a great time. BonVoyage!

Hi Ronnie

just an informal meeting for fellow passengers in Horizons. People can get their own drinks!

See you there

Josie

Hi Ronnie:

Enjoy organizing your meet & greet!

Myself and another fellow organized one on the Nautica this past April and sent invitataions to all the officers. They all attended and stayed a very long time.

You never know...........

Thanks to the old salts for their insights. I checked my "diploma" as an Honorary Airdale and the date in question was June 3, 1971. The pilot was practicing touch 'n goes, so I really should have gotten 20 diplomas. Very exciting for a non-aviator. From some of the maneuvers we performed on the way to the carrier--barrel rolls, Immelmans-- i think the pilot wanted to see an air sick writer. I almost, but not quite, obliged. Would it have been the Wasp in 1971?

Again, many thanks for the input.

You may want to look at the Wasp's history as in Wikipedia. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(CV-18)

(Wikipedia is the second most important source of all knowledge. DW is the first)

Edited by Playtennis

You may want to look at the Wasp's history as in Wikipedia. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(CV-18)

(Wikipedia is the second most important source of all knowledge. DW is the first)

Aye, sir. Apparently not the Wasp, according to the detailed bio on the site you so kindly referred me to. Perhaps we should ask DW?:D

All I can say is that Oceania is not Azamara or NCL. I've sailed Celebrity (which has the same Meet & Greet policies as Azamara) and NCL, and I both appreciate and like what they do for Meet & Greets. But, Oceania is so far superior to either line (in my humble opinion, and waving my cheerleader pom poms :rolleyes:) that the lack of support for a Meet & Greet is not going to ruin my cruise.

I don't think the lack of a Meet and Greet will ruin anybody's cruise, but many of us are baffled that Oceania will not even provide a venue. There are loads of public areas, so it is not a space issue and they do not have to provide anything that will cost them money, such as refreshments. I have taken to emailing a photo of Michael and me to people who are joining us on tours, so we will at least recognize eachother before meeting up on the pier for the tour. It would be great to place a face with a cruise critic name. Oceania is far superior to any other line, IMHO as well, but that does not mean it should not be improved.

Aye, sir. Apparently not the Wasp, according to the detailed bio on the site you so kindly referred me to. Perhaps we should ask DW?:D

I just used the link and while it didn't send me directly to the full article the page did have some "other" suggestions which, curiously enough, lead to the full article about the USS Wasp (CV-18). The full article covers her entire career from keel laying to retirement and does a nice job of breaking down the various era: WWII, Korea, et al.

Try again.

DW is only for the really important things in life

I don't think the lack of a Meet and Greet will ruin anybody's cruise, but many of us are baffled that Oceania will not even provide a venue. There are loads of public areas, so it is not a space issue and they do not have to provide anything that will cost them money, such as refreshments. I have taken to emailing a photo of Michael and me to people who are joining us on tours, so we will at least recognize eachother before meeting up on the pier for the tour. It would be great to place a face with a cruise critic name. Oceania is far superior to any other line, IMHO as well, but that does not mean it should not be improved.

Hi, Benita,

But, Oceania WILL provide a space. It's been detailed here many times. The home office cannot do it in advance, as they have no idea of the ship's daily schedule. You have to wait until you're on board, then work with the ship concierge (or assistant), who will coordinate with the Cruise Director, Food and Beverage Manager and General Manager to identify the appropriate time and space. That may not be when you want it, and it might not even happen for a few days, but they will work with you. Of course, you can't set it up in advance on the Roll Call, so you have to work out a way to get everyone's full names and cabin numbers to be used on the ship to send invitations. Because some folks don't want their last names or cabin numbers published on cruise critic, the usual way is for one person to publish their email address and gather all the information into a spread sheet to be given to the concierge.

The concierge will usually be happy to type an invitation on Oceania letterhead, duplicate it and send it out to the folks on your list, much like delivering shore ex tickets and restaurant reservations.

It really isn't much different on the cruise lines where they organize the meeting. The big difference with some, like Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara (all with the same policy) is they have made a financial arrangement with Cruise Critic to provide a link to their internal sign-up page, so they already have the member information. After that, the procedureis similar -- folks don't know the time or place of the M & G until they are on board; the cruise line chooses the time and place, and an invitation is sent.

The alternative on Oceania is to simply agree to meet at a certain time and place, which works well with small groups. However, when the gathering is over 50 people, it's easy to conflict with something else going on it the same space.

Oceania could set up their own page on their web site, with a form to be filled out by the roll call member, to create the list and forward to the ship. However, I could see Cruise Critic not permitting us to post a link to that page on the Roll Call.

The other cruise lines don't really provide any food or drink that isn't already free -- pastries, perhaps, and coffee and fruit punch, maybe iced tea or lemonade. I've been on Oceania cruises where the Food & Beverage manager put out similar treats, even including sodas (because they're included on Oceania), but that's up to him.

that the OP deserves a good answer ...and got one...thanks to Don...and I agree ...this subject has been "beaten to death"....and I am SO over it!!!! As I think everyone is! on O...it is what it is...be it good or bad...or indifferent .....LuAnn

Hi, Benita,

But, Oceania WILL provide a space. It's been detailed here many times. The home office cannot do it in advance, as they have no idea of the ship's daily schedule. You have to wait until you're on board, then work with the ship concierge (or assistant), who will coordinate with the Cruise Director, Food and Beverage Manager and General Manager to identify the appropriate time and space. That may not be when you want it, and it might not even happen for a few days, but they will work with you. Of course, you can't set it up in advance on the Roll Call, so you have to work out a way to get everyone's full names and cabin numbers to be used on the ship to send invitations. Because some folks don't want their last names or cabin numbers published on cruise critic, the usual way is for one person to publish their email address and gather all the information into a spread sheet to be given to the concierge.

The concierge will usually be happy to type an invitation on Oceania letterhead, duplicate it and send it out to the folks on your list, much like delivering shore ex tickets and restaurant reservations.

It really isn't much different on the cruise lines where they organize the meeting. The big difference with some, like Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara (all with the same policy) is they have made a financial arrangement with Cruise Critic to provide a link to their internal sign-up page, so they already have the member information. After that, the procedureis similar -- folks don't know the time or place of the M & G until they are on board; the cruise line chooses the time and place, and an invitation is sent.

The alternative on Oceania is to simply agree to meet at a certain time and place, which works well with small groups. However, when the gathering is over 50 people, it's easy to conflict with something else going on it the same space.

Oceania could set up their own page on their web site, with a form to be filled out by the roll call member, to create the list and forward to the ship. However, I could see Cruise Critic not permitting us to post a link to that page on the Roll Call.

The other cruise lines don't really provide any food or drink that isn't already free -- pastries, perhaps, and coffee and fruit punch, maybe iced tea or lemonade. I've been on Oceania cruises where the Food & Beverage manager put out similar treats, even including sodas (because they're included on Oceania), but that's up to him.

tried to send you a message on your Outlook account...but didn't seem to work....can you email me at kilgast@cox.net I'm wondering if you have done that river cruise you talked about ..and if so...how was it...or if not...when is it? LuAnn

Hi, Benita,

Thank you for such a concise reply to my original question. It's taken over 20 replies to get one and for a change someone who is not looking down or does not have patience with a new OP.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app