No Mariner credit - is this fair?

doublebzz

Last year my friend booked a suite on a 10 day HAL Caribbean cruise. Two days before sailing, he suffered a serious heart attack resulting in an immediate by-pass operation. He did not have travel insurance and lost a few thousand dollars. He understood the risks and accepted the loss of money. He contacted HAL and all he asked was to be credited with the Mariner days he would have earned had he been able to sail. HAL adamantly refused stating that one must actually sail in order to earn the days. He believes, and I agree, that crediting the Mariner days was a minor gesture that HAL should have accorded given the circumstances in this case. Because of HAL's obstinacy, he does not want to cruise with them again. I would be interested in members' views.

Last year my friend booked a suite on a 10 day HAL Caribbean cruise. Two days before sailing, he suffered a serious heart attack resulting in an immediate by-pass operation. He did not have travel insurance and lost a few thousand dollars. He understood the risks and accepted the loss of money. He contacted HAL and all he asked was to be credited with the Mariner days he would have earned had he been able to sail. HAL adamantly refused stating that one must actually sail in order to earn the days. He believes, and I agree, that crediting the Mariner days was a minor gesture that HAL should have accorded given the circumstances in this case. Because of HAL's obstinacy, he does not want to cruise with them again. I would be interested in members' views.

I agree he should get the credit days.

It's a HAL business decision, not really our concern. It may not have worked well here for HAL if they lost a customer over a relatively minor gesture. But it's their business, and they probably feel if they make exceptions for somebody, then lots of others will be asking for exceptions too.

Hope your friend gets to actually enjoy a cruise on whatever line he books with.

I'm sorry for what you friend has gone through.

Cruiseline loyalty programs are set up by each cruiseline. I don't think it would be fair to award someone with points/cruises (or whatever each particular line does) for cruises not taken. As you noted, to qualify on HAL, you must actually sail to get the perks (little that they may be).

If he chooses not to cruise HAL because of this, I'd say it would be his loss.

I do think he should get the credits for the cruise he paid for, but I don't think any cruise line will give the benefit for a cruise not actually taken. I think it's a bit short sighted not to cruise HAL again, because I think he would lose the credit in that situation whether he was on Royal, NCL, HAL, Cunard, Silversea, Crystal or anybody else.

Roy

We had a major snow storm in 2010 and had major damage done to our house.

We lost thousands of dollars on our cruise -- had third party insurance which a tiny clause -- if there is at least one room in your house that you can live in -- we do not pay!! And we learned that many insurance policies have this rule.

We also did not get the 21 days credited for that cruise -- nor did we expect to get them since we were not able to take the cruise.

I understand this is kind of unfair in your eyes. And in some point, I agree with it. But you have to understand this through the eyes of the cruiseline as well. If they allow this, where do you put the line? You don't get any Frequent Flyer points when you don't get a flight on an airline, right...

A lot of these cases seem hard business from a personal perspective.

I am sorry that he had a heart attack and was unable to cruise. Believe me I am sincerely sorry. But I am glad that he survived and is alive today!!

That said, I disagree that he should be credited the Mariner days/Points that he would have gotten IF he'd actually been able to cruise.

We never get the Mariner Day Points until after having completed a cruise. Even if we accrue the points to make the next Mariner Level while on part of a cruise, we are unable to get the points and Mariner status until after the actual cruise (days at sea....)

Joanie

We had a major snow storm in 2010 and had major damage done to our house.

We lost thousands of dollars on our cruise -- had third party insurance which a tiny clause -- if there is at least one room in your house that you can live in -- we do not pay!! And we learned that many insurance policies have this rule.

We also did not get the 21 days credited for that cruise -- nor did we expect to get them since we were not able to take the cruise.

Wasn't it just a year or so ago Yonnie that you fell and broke your wrist as you were checking out of your hotel?? And I suspect that you did not receive, nor expect to receive the credits.

One cannot expect to reap the benefits from them if one does not earn them.

In this case I think HAL is in the right.

Joanie

Wasn't it just a year or so ago Yonnie that you fell and broke your wrist as you were checking out of your hotel?? And I suspect that you did not receive, nor expect to receive the credits.

One cannot expect to reap the benefits from them if one does not earn them.

In this case I think HAL is in the right.

Joanie

thumbsup2.gif

HAL may have their reasons for this policy, but it defies human nature. If I was running HAL, giving you Mariner credit is the least I would do.

If HAL had to give Mariner credits, refund missed cruises etc as many have advocated here as a sign of goodwill/good PR, they may run out of business. Or jack up prices for everyone else to make up for that.

How would HAL know if someone that did not sail on a paid cruise had insurance to cover their loss? Someone could miss a cruise, get money back from third party insurance and get Mariner credits.

How is the number of cruise day credits calculated?

The basic formula is very simple: one cruise day credit is given for each actual day sailed (each overnight aboard a Holland America Line vessel is considered an actual day sailed).

From Holland America website FAQ's

.......t.

How would HAL know if someone that did not sail on a paid cruise had insurance to cover their loss? Someone could miss a cruise, get money back from third party insurance and get Mariner credits.

True, but HAL is not out any money (except for lost on board spending) if they did not give a refund. Doesn't matter to HAL if pax was reimbursed by insurance ; HAL still kept the cruise fare as if pax had sailed. They may not give the Mariner credits because on board spending is so important and they didnt get any.

If you miss your flight, you don't get mileage even though you paid for the ticket. It isn't really fair, but corporations do not operate with any common sense sometimes. Having said that, I'm not that impressed with the Mariner benefits unless you reach a very high level that I never expect to achieve.

If HAL had to give Mariner credits, refund missed cruises etc as many have advocated here as a sign of goodwill/good PR, they may run out of business. Or jack up prices for everyone else to make up for that.

Why would HAL care if the passenger got an insurance payout? Wouldn't HAL care that they got paid for the cruise? And in this case where HAL gets paid for the cruise,, what is it costing them for the credits? The credits would have been paid if the passenger took the cruise, right?

IMHO, HAL really should give the credits. They got paid for the cruise, they should provide the credits.

Sometimes companies need to look past the "policy" and understand what "penny wise pound short" really means.

In this case they have lost a customer.

From Holland America website FAQ's

How is the number of cruise day credits calculated?

The basic formula is very simple: one cruise day credit is given for each actual day sailed (each overnight aboard a Holland America Line vessel is considered an actual day sailed).

You omitted this part:

For Holland America Line Alaska and Yukon cruisetours, a Cruise Day credit is granted for total tour days, including days touring on land. Pre and Post packages are excluded.

If you've paid for pre or post cruise days, shouldn't one also get credit for them just like tour land days?

But more to the point of this thread: originally HAL did not give credit for land days on AK Tours, but later changed that rule, and gave credit for those days retroactively. If HAL changes their current rule about no credit for cruises not taken, they would have to retroactively credit thousands of days going back many, many years. If they didn't, no matter what time limit they set, someone would feel cheated.

I'm with HAL on this: I'm sorry your friend lost money, but no credit for cruises not taken.

Why would HAL care if the passenger got an insurance payout? Wouldn't HAL care that they got paid for the cruise? And in this case where HAL gets paid for the cruise,, what is it costing them for the credits? The credits would have been paid if the passenger took the cruise, right?

IMHO, HAL really should give the credits. They got paid for the cruise, they should provide the credits.

Sometimes companies need to look past the "policy" and understand what "penny wise pound short" really means.

In this case they have lost a customer.

Which is the customer's loss, not HAL's.

Really, any loyalty program at any business has their policies in writing before you "sign up" for them. If you don't agree with the policies, you're free to not patronize that business. If you don't "pay your dues" (take the necessary cruise) you don't get in the club.

In this case, why should someone get the benefits, without qualifying for them?

Otherwise, people will just go out and buy their way into whatever perceived good deals they think are available.

I am with the original poster - if HAL pockets the thousands of dollars

for a cruise and probably rebooks that cabin again for more thousands, the least they can do is give credit for the days paid for.

The mariner perks are not that great and a company that shows a little

heart inspires a lot better feeling than "we will keep your money but you don't get your days".

Archived