No Mariner credit - is this fair?

doublebzz

HAL has consistently held this position through the years. As long as they treat eveyone the same and this is their policy, I think it okay. I know it stings a bit to be out the days and it would a little soothing to get the days but I see HAL's logic and can agree with it.

Most importantly,,,,, hopefully he has recovered well and is doing well heatlhwise.

I am with the original poster - if HAL pockets the thousands of dollars

for a cruise and probably rebooks that cabin again for more thousands, the least they can do is give credit for the days paid for.

The mariner perks are not that great and a company that shows a little

heart inspires a lot better feeling than "we will keep your money but you don't get your days".

DITTO! If the pax does not get his/her money back, is the room left empty? If it is resold, then isn't HAL making twice the money and therefore couldn't they just give the credit for days? Just seems a bit cheap to me.

Last year my friend booked a suite on a 10 day HAL Caribbean cruise. Two days before sailing, he suffered a serious heart attack resulting in an immediate by-pass operation. He did not have travel insurance and lost a few thousand dollars. He understood the risks and accepted the loss of money. He contacted HAL and all he asked was to be credited with the Mariner days he would have earned had he been able to sail. HAL adamantly refused stating that one must actually sail in order to earn the days. He believes, and I agree, that crediting the Mariner days was a minor gesture that HAL should have accorded given the circumstances in this case. Because of HAL's obstinacy, he does not want to cruise with them again. I would be interested in members' views.

I certainly sympathize with what he went through and am glad he recovered. I think it would have been nice if he got the Mariner days, but I also understand why he did not.

If HAL gave Mariner credit for cruises not actually taken, a number of things would happen. You would have people who are close to a certain level -- rather than take a cruise to get to the next level -- essentially "buy up" to the next level by watching for a last minute $199 inside room deal, book it, and then not show up. Voila! 7 more cruise days for $199.

Why does HAL care? Because when that happens, that cabin goes empty -- which means that HAL can't make any money off ancillary spending.

OP, I can certainly sympathize with what you are saying, as I was in a similar boat (pardon the expression) myself. I would love to be credited with the 22 days I paid for, but didn't sail.

But the policy has been established, and it is what it is. So long as it's clearly defined and applied the same way to everyone, then I can live with that.

Doesn't change the fact that I think I should win the free cruise some day, though. ;)

Last year my friend booked a suite on a 10 day HAL Caribbean cruise. Two days before sailing, he suffered a serious heart attack resulting in an immediate by-pass operation. He did not have travel insurance and lost a few thousand dollars. He understood the risks and accepted the loss of money. He contacted HAL and all he asked was to be credited with the Mariner days he would have earned had he been able to sail. HAL adamantly refused stating that one must actually sail in order to earn the days. He believes, and I agree, that crediting the Mariner days was a minor gesture that HAL should have accorded given the circumstances in this case. Because of HAL's obstinacy, he does not want to cruise with them again. I would be interested in members' views.

Wow, this sounds just like what happened to me two years ago. Thank goodness I did not suffer a heart attack but did go in for emergency surgery for an aortic aneurysm, two days after we were supposed to leave on a cruise. I found out on that Friday before that cruise.

I lost thousand of dollars because it was a 14 day cruise in a suite, we had no insurance. I knew we would not get our money back and I was ok with that but I felt that Hal should have given us credit for those days, whether we were on the ship or not, as they keep our money. Seem only fair to me that we got credit for those days but no.

Personally I think it is a bad policy, Hal could go along way with some goodwill for their customers. Please tell me what does it hurt for them to give out those days when people have emergency beyond their control.

What gets to me even more is passengers who get upgrades or up sells from lower catagory cabins that end up getting double credit because they end up in a suite even though they pay hundred of dollors less then passengers that pay full price to get those suites. I know they are not suppose to but it is happening all the time. Now what is fair about that?

What I find interesting in reading all these postings is that people seem to be ok losing the money for a cruise when they have a medical emergency, but are upset about not getting credit for the days they did not sail. I never cruise without getting the insurance and hope I never need it but there isn't any of the perks you get from the Mariner Society or any loyalty program with another cruise line that I would be upset about not receiving. I am going to cruise regardless and enjoy cruising as long as I can. Happy Cruising!

What I find interesting in reading all these postings is that people seem to be ok losing the money for a cruise when they have a medical emergency, but are upset about not getting credit for the days they did not sail. I never cruise without getting the insurance and hope I never need it but there isn't any of the perks you get from the Mariner Society or any loyalty program with another cruise line that I would be upset about not receiving. I am going to cruise regardless and enjoy cruising as long as I can. Happy Cruising!

Well we are very aware that if we don't take out the insurance and something happens we are up the preverbal creek without a paddle. Lucky we have only had that one instance of having an emergency. Another time we took out the insurance and it paid for itself as we did have a medical problem whiles on board.

Ofcourse we were not happy about the loss of our money but when you have medical emergency first and formost you worry about your health, everything else becomes secondary.

Well we are very aware that if we don't take out the insurance and something happens we are up the preverbal creek without a paddle. Lucky we have only had that one instance of having an emergency. Another time we took out the insurance and it paid for itself as we did have a medical problem whiles on board.

Ofcourse we were not happy about the loss of our money but when you have medical emergency first and formost you worry about your health, everything else becomes secondary.

I so agree with you that your health is the most important issue here. That is the point I was trying to make...people seem to want the credit for sea days and they had suffered a medical emergency that is so much more important. I just found that interesting. I just love to cruise and hope that I can continue for years to come. Continued good health to you all the others that posted on this subject.

What gets to me even more is passengers who get upgrades or up sells from lower catagory cabins that end up getting double credit because they end up in a suite even though they pay hundred of dollors less then passengers that pay full price to get those suites. I know they are not suppose to but it is happening all the time. Now what is fair about that?
How do you know this is "happening all the time"? Yes, we hear of upgrades and upsells, but I don't remember hearing about those who move up, due to an upgrade/upsell, to a suite that qualifies for the bonus credit, from one that doesn't, receiving it.

HAL's policy from their website is clear:

Suite Bonus Earn double Cruise Day credits when you pay a published fare for a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise. For example, a guest who pays published fare for suite accommodations for a 10-day cruise earns 20 Cruise Day credits.

Just as in the OP's situation, HAL has stated their policy - unless one pays a published fare, no bonus days.

I disagree as well.

Although the circumstances are quite unfortunate, it's a business decision that I completely agree with. If the cruise lines let me book cruises to earn cruise credit, I could book severely discounted cruises, not go on them and earn elite status or 4/5 star fairly rapidly. Empty cabin for cruise line, no on board spending

Wasn't it just a year or so ago Yonnie that you fell and broke your wrist as you were checking out of your hotel?? And I suspect that you did not receive, nor expect to receive the credits.

One cannot expect to reap the benefits from them if one does not earn them.

In this case I think HAL is in the right.

Joanie

In 2011 I fell and broke my wrist at the airport hotel the night before we were to fly out the next morning.

We got back 90% of the cost of our cruise as HAL had started their new insurance program and we were able to cancel within 24 hours. Sure wish HAL had had that insurance the year before as we lost thousands on that cruise.

And -- right -- we also did not get credits for that cruise.

And in 2002 we did not credits for a canceled cruise when DH's mother died.

I lost thousand of dollars because it was a 14 day cruise in a suite, we had no insurance. I knew we would not get our money back and I was ok with that but I felt that Hal should have given us credit for those days, whether we were on the ship or not, as they keep our money. Seem only fair to me that we got credit for those days but no.

Personally I think it is a bad policy, Hal could go along way with some goodwill for their customers. Please tell me what does it hurt for them to give out those days when people have emergency beyond their control.

Again, HAL would open a door to all sorts of abuse -- people buying cheap last minute cruises they never intend to go on just to increase status. So what does it hurt to give out those days for emergencies? Nothing -- except this: who decides what an emergency is? My great aunt has to have surgery and I need to help her when she gets home? For some people, that's an emergency. For others, not so much. And who verifies that there actually is an emergency and that the customer isn't just saying that? If they take people's word for it, some people are going to lie to get the days and we're right back to square one -- anyone who wants to can snag a last minute $199 fare with no intention of going. So maybe require verification? Now, HAL has to pay employees to spend additional time dealing with verifications from doctors and whoever.

And why does this all happen? Because people didn't buy the insurance. If the money matters that much, buy the insurance. Then you will get your money back and won't feel bad about losing the money and not getting the Mariner days. And if you can't afford the cruise AND the insurance? Then book a lesser cabin so you can. (And if you don't like what HAL charges for the insurance? There are third-party companies that provide the insurance as well. Just read the whole policy no matter who you get it from.)

I will never understand spending thousands on a cruise -- and then not spending a few hundred on the insurance.

I feel bad when someone has a hardship of any kind -- of the cruise-cancelling variety or of any kind -- but a business model can't be built around accommodating those. HAL has to run a business, and as soon as they bend the rules on something like this, they open up a Pandora's box. Where does it stop? The best policy is the one they have.

Again, HAL would open a door to all sorts of abuse -- people buying cheap last minute cruises they never intend to go on just to increase status. So what does it hurt to give out those days for emergencies? Nothing -- except this: who decides what an emergency is? My great aunt has to have surgery and I need to help her when she gets home? For some people, that's an emergency. For others, not so much. And who verifies that there actually is an emergency and that the customer isn't just saying that? If they take people's word for it, some people are going to lie to get the days and we're right back to square one -- anyone who wants to can snag a last minute $199 fare with no intention of going. So maybe require verification? Now, HAL has to pay employees to spend additional time dealing with verifications from doctors and whoever.

And why does this all happen? Because people didn't buy the insurance. If the money matters that much, buy the insurance. Then you will get your money back and won't feel bad about losing the money and not getting the Mariner days. And if you can't afford the cruise AND the insurance? Then book a lesser cabin so you can. (And if you don't like what HAL charges for the insurance? There are third-party companies that provide the insurance as well. Just read the whole policy no matter who you get it from.)

I will never understand spending thousands on a cruise -- and then not spending a few hundred on the insurance.

I feel bad when someone has a hardship of any kind -- of the cruise-cancelling variety or of any kind -- but a business model can't be built around accommodating those. HAL has to run a business, and as soon as they bend the rules on something like this, they open up a Pandora's box. Where does it stop? The best policy is the one they have.

Let me see - $199 per person X 2 plus port & govt taxes = about $500. I can't imagine folks ponying up $500 just to accrue a few additional Mariner days. Of course, I admit to having a limited imagination. This would seem like buying airline miles which is a lucrative enterprise for airline frequent flyer programs. I'm sure HAL would gladly trade $500 in increased revenue for 3 mariner days.

How do you know this is "happening all the time"? Yes, we hear of upgrades and upsells, but I don't remember hearing about those who move up, due to an upgrade/upsell, to a suite that qualifies for the bonus credit, from one that doesn't, receiving it.

HAL's policy from their website is clear:

Just as in the OP's situation, HAL has stated their policy - unless one pays a published fare, no bonus days.

I can personally attest to the fact that upgrades to suites DO NOT earn you bonus Mariner days. We found out, at HAL check in, that we had been upgraded from an outside cabin category to a verandah "suite" on the Volendam... we were credited only the 14 days for the length of that cruise, not 28 - as we did not actually pay for Verandah suite.

As to upsells, I have no idea...my only upsell opportunity was on a Vista ship, from outside to aft balcony...but the upgraded verandah cabin was not a "suite" category.

Is it not a Days Sailed program rather than a days paid program?

Yes I would take the days to mean more of a 'I've spent XX days on a boat." More of a sense of pride to have accumulated actual nights spent on the water on a crusie ship.

I remember being so impressed during our last Mariner's lunch by the 5-Star Mariners who had spent 500 something days sailing. I would have been much less impressed to learn that they had just been given credit for days only paid for and not actually spent rocking away on the seas. ;)

Let me see - $199 per person X 2 plus port & govt taxes = about $500. I can't imagine folks ponying up $500 just to accrue a few additional Mariner days. Of course, I admit to having a limited imagination. This would seem like buying airline miles which is a lucrative enterprise for airline frequent flyer programs. I'm sure HAL would gladly trade $500 in increased revenue for 3 mariner days.

The "X 2" is accurate -- but both parties would pick up the extra Mariner Days.

Would people do this? Absolutely. For some, it's about status. And for many years, it has been a common occurrence for frequent flyers to book cheap flights at the end of the year to get segments so they can obtain preferred status on the airlines. So while you or I might not do it -- there are plenty who would.

And apparently, HAL would not trade revenue for Mariner Days -- because they don't.

I can personally attest to the fact that upgrades to suites DO NOT earn you bonus Mariner days. We found out, at HAL check in, that we had been upgraded from an outside cabin category to a verandah "suite" on the Volendam... we were credited only the 14 days for the length of that cruise, not 28 - as we did not actually pay for Verandah suite.

As to upsells, I have no idea...my only upsell opportunity was on a Vista ship, from outside to aft balcony...but the upgraded verandah cabin was not a "suite" category.

With upsells and upgrades, double Mariner days are credited if the cabin from which you were upgraded (or upsell) qualified for double days. If you were in an "SY" and were upgraded to a "SC" , you would get double days. If you were in an outside cabin an upgraded to a verandah cabin that qualified for double days, you would not get the extra days.

My husband was on a flight a few years ago where the guy next to him was flying round-trip cross country (not even leaving the airport) specifically to get miles on a cheap airfare. Apparently the deal was so good, several people on that flight were doing the same thing. They all had to actually fly though. In their case, it wasn't simply a matter of miles for a ticket, but to get or maintain "gold" status of something like that.

I agree with the previous posters who identified cheap fares as the reason for the rule. It would be nice if people could get their days for missed, but paid for cruises. However, the cheap fares would make such a thing untenable. The whole reason HAL discounts cruises so much is to boost on-board spending.

I recently booked a HAL cruise and was pleasantly surprised to see I got a bonus 3 Days for my last cruise based on onboard spending. Apparently, the going rate for a Day is 300 bucks.

My husband was on a flight a few years ago where the guy next to him was flying round-trip cross country (not even leaving the airport) specifically to get miles on a cheap airfare. Apparently the deal was so good, several people on that flight were doing the same thing. They all had to actually fly though. In their case, it wasn't simply a matter of miles for a ticket, but to get or maintain "gold" status of something like that.

I agree with the previous posters who identified cheap fares as the reason for the rule. It would be nice if people could get their days for missed, but paid for cruises. However, the cheap fares would make such a thing untenable. The whole reason HAL discounts cruises so much is to boost on-board spending.

I recently booked a HAL cruise and was pleasantly surprised to see I got a bonus 3 Days for my last cruise based on onboard spending. Apparently, the going rate for a Day is 300 bucks.

We earn one day for every $300 in on board spending. That includes any bookings for excursions, liquor orders, Pinnacle/Tamarind Reservations etc in advance of boarding.

We can only earn one extra 'spending day' for each day actually sailed.

Yep, he should def get it. He "paid" for it. It would be a great goodwill gesture. HAL can not afford to loose suite customers that is for sure.

I agree this is a stupid policy, why take the chance on losing customers. There are many other lines.

Archived