Why do people cruise to the same place over and over again?

quovadimis

For me the ship is the destination. My next cruise is a B2B on the new Royal Princess that repeats the exact same itinerary, and the same one I did last year on Ruby Princess. The Western Caribbean cruise I did last year on Allure of the Seas was a near replica of the one I did the year before on a B2B on Celebrity Millennium. And before that is was a cruise out of Baltimore down the east coast and back on a ship I still consider one of my all time favorites, the Celebrity Mercury (now with TUI Cruises).

Don't really care about the islands and I spent 12 years in the Navy, and 12 years as a Travel Agent, seeing the world. Or at least the parts that interested me.

I cruise out of the US to keep from paying some of the expensive international airfares which can cost more than the cruise itself. And since I travel solo I can get really good deals on cruises from Florida or NY in December, which is when I always cruise.

Actually, a trans-Atlantic repositioning can be less expensive than a much shorter Caribbean cruise. With cruise-air or something comparable, you can get to Europe for less than $500, the ship gets you back. The cruise fare itself is usually much lower than a Mediterranean cruise would be, while giving you a number of ports.

Why visit the same place twice? Because if a place is so limited that in 6 hours you can cover the whole area, then it probably wasn't worth visiting in the first place.

Excursion to the Pyramids? Why bother, saw them five years ago. Boat trip to Niagara Falls, anyone? No thanks, I've done it before. Look at that Norwegian mountain, with the sun reflecting from the snow cap? Pah. I saw a mountain last time. Why would I want to see another?

Not for me. If a place is worth visiting, it's worth visiting and visiting and visiting.

Actually, a trans-Atlantic repositioning can be less expensive than a much shorter Caribbean cruise. With cruise-air or something comparable, you can get to Europe for less than $500, the ship gets you back. The cruise fare itself is usually much lower than a Mediterranean cruise would be, while giving you a number of ports.

You live on the East Coast so maybe you can find airfare to Europe for $500 but for those of us in southwest or on west coast it is closer to $1200 per person for airfare to Europe.

The ship is our destination. Could care less where it goes.

That's how I feel. I have been to a few places. I love being on the ship. My favorite ship/destination at the moment is Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean. I love the back to back sea days. I have sailed on her in 2011, 2012 and will sail again this September. When we reach the islands, a lot of the time I don't even go ashore. I love being on that big "empty" ship.

You live on the East Coast so maybe you can find airfare to Europe for $500 but for those of us in southwest or on west coast it is closer to $1200 per person for airfare to Europe.

Those of us in the West can also find one way airfares to Europe in the $500/pp range. A few years ago we paid about $550/pp for tickets to Rome from Denver, with only one connection. No doubt one can easily pay the price you quote, but I sure wouldn't say only those on the East Coast get the $500 airfares. No "maybe" about it. ;)

For me the ship is the destination. My next cruise is a B2B on the new Royal Princess that repeats the exact same itinerary, and the same one I did last year on Ruby Princess. The Western Caribbean cruise I did last year on Allure of the Seas was a near replica of the one I did the year before on a B2B on Celebrity Millennium. And before that is was a cruise out of Baltimore down the east coast and back on a ship I still consider one of my all time favorites, the Celebrity Mercury (now with TUI Cruises).

Don't really care about the islands and I spent 12 years in the Navy, and 12 years as a Travel Agent, seeing the world. Or at least the parts that interested me.

I cruise out of the US to keep from paying some of the expensive international airfares which can cost more than the cruise itself. And since I travel solo I can get really good deals on cruises from Florida or NY in December, which is when I always cruise.

Except for being in the Navy (thank you for your service!) and the travel agent, you pegged me exactly. I love the activities and entertainment on the ship. When I cruise solo, I never feel awkward entering the theater alone. It's also easy to meet people on a cruise.

The port stops on most mainline ships are too short to really get a feel for a place (except maybe Bermuda with its overnights). If I want to visit somewhere, I'll take a land vacation and really see it.

Edited by dread_pirate

Those of us in the West can also find one way airfares to Europe in the $500/pp range. A few years ago we paid about $550/pp for tickets to Rome from Denver, with only one connection. No doubt one can easily pay the price you quote, but I sure wouldn't say only those on the East Coast get the $500 airfares. No "maybe" about it. ;)

A few years ago airfare was much cheaper. A few years ago we paid $750 for flight from TX to Europe with one connection. Now that same routing is $1250.

A few years ago airfare was much cheaper. A few years ago we paid $750 for flight from TX to Europe with one connection. Now that same routing is $1250.
You're correct. I've just priced the same two cities for the same time period. I found $650/pp. Still, much closer to $500 than to $1200. ;)

I love Europe, and lived in Italy for two years while in the Navy stationed in Naples. If I ever did do a repositioning and flew to Rome, Athens, London,

or Barcelona to pick up a ship I'd have to add several days pre-cruise just to do some additional sightseeing. That was my problem on the first transatlantic I considered which was on the QE2. After researching a couple of days pre-cruise for the trip I eventually cancelled the cruise and spent 8 days in London instead. :D So even though the actual cost of of international airfare and the cruise back to the states may be equal out to a Caribbean off-season cruise, the additional land package I'd want to add kills the deal. I sort of want my cake and eat it too. ;)

Except for being in the Navy (thank you for your service!) and the travel agent, you pegged me exactly. I love the activities and entertainment on the ship. When I cruise solo, I never feel awkward entering the theater alone. It's also easy to meet people on a cruise.

The port stops on most mainline ships are too short to really get a feel for a place (except maybe Bermuda with its overnights). If I want to visit somewhere, I'll take a land vacation and really see it.

Thanks for the kind words! I also forgot to mention that in addition to the brand new Royal Princess (which sets sail on its Maiden Voyage today) I am also booked on the Regal Princess for January 2015. I'll be repeating the exact same itinerary for the 4th time in 3 years. Looking forward to cruising on her too since she doesn't even enter service until June 2014 and will be less than six months old. Such a gorgeous class of ship! :D

You're correct. I've just priced the same two cities for the same time period. I found $650/pp. Still, much closer to $500 than to $1200. ;)

Mary Ellen - please post those cities and time periods and airline routings you found. I'd like to grab something like that!!! I haven't seen anything really below $1000 for a roundtrip to anywhere in Europe lately. If there is something cheap like that, I could maybe take another short trip.

Mary Ellen - please post those cities and time periods and airline routings you found. I'd like to grab something like that!!! I haven't seen anything really below $1000 for a roundtrip to anywhere in Europe lately. If there is something cheap like that, I could maybe take another short trip.
As mentioned earlier, I'm talking about one-way fares for a trans-Atlantic cruise. I have no idea what r/t fares are running. Sorry.

As mentioned earlier, I'm talking about one-way fares for a trans-Atlantic cruise. I have no idea what r/t fares are running. Sorry.

I would be interested in the airlines and dates as well. Since one-way fares are typically 2/3 more than a r/t ticket, $600 seems extremely low for a one-way fare. That would make the r/t fare somewhere around $400. :confused:

It's all about floating around in the middle of the beautiful Caribbean waters for me! We've done many cruises where we haven't even gotten off the ship. As the old saying goes "Whatever floats your boat" :D

I would be interested in the airlines and dates as well. Since one-way fares are typically 2/3 more than a r/t ticket, $600 seems extremely low for a one-way fare. That would make the r/t fare somewhere around $400. :confused:
We're talking trans-Atlantic cruises. These are in the fall. Also, I stated the current price is $650, not $600. :rolleyes: The airline we'd be using if going again would involve a stop in Reykjavik. ;)

Fact: We paid about $550 in 2010 (or 2011) for our one-way tickets to Europe. I seriously doubt that price was 2/3 more than the going r/t fare.

True one wyas are more when you book through the airline but form what I understand when you book through the cruiseline you get a beter deal. One person told me you are given a choice of several airlines also.

You still need to fly in a day or so early though as the cruiseline can't guarantee the flight will be on time. I have read posts of people who booked flights through their cruiselines and their flight was too late for the ship. The cruiselines expect you to buy insurance for in case of-as they can't control flights being canceled or late. However, if you are going all the way to Europe from the US or Canada, I would imagine you would desire to spend at least 3 or 4 days precruise there.

We're talking trans-Atlantic cruises. These are in the fall. Also, I stated the current price is $650, not $600. :rolleyes: The airline we'd be using if going again would involve a stop in Reykjavik. ;)

I understand it's a one-way for a TA cruise, also that it's in the fall. What I don't get is why so secretive about the airline, schedule and dates?? People are just trying to find the best pricing they can and any info will help.

So it's Icelandair... they're one of the few (along with Air Berlin and at least one other) that price somewhat differently than most legacy airlines.

Great price though!! :)

I understand it's a one-way for a TA cruise, also that it's in the fall. What I don't get is why so secretive about the airline, schedule and dates?? People are just trying to find the best pricing they can and any info will help.

So it's Icelandair... they're one of the few (along with Air Berlin and at least one other) that price somewhat differently than most legacy airlines.

Great price though!! :)

They fly planes with 3x3 in the rows. You pay for food. If you don't bring your own headphones, you have to pay for them. Looking at the website, I got the idea that you can only pay for things on the plane with Euros or Icelandic Kroner. Anyone know if that is true??? The only good thing is that you can have a 7 day layover in Iceland at no charge (well, you DO have to pay for your hotel, food, etc...)... I get really claustophobic if I have to be sardined in a row with 2 other people. But, if you can do it, it is a decent price.

We are doing the NY -port Canaveral -Bahamas itinerary for the second time ..not my favorite itinerary but we are doing it for the ship (ncl breakaway) . Also first time around we had bad weather so a stop was cancelled and shore excursions cancelled, so hoping to get to Atlantis this time. We also leave out of new York so do not have to pay airfare so our choices are limited.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

RT Toronto to Scotland/England still exists in the $600 range if you take the painful AirTransat, which I will drive to take (I'm in the US) on occasion if I can't find anything cheaper.

Tammy- have fun on Breakaway! I know that itin is not exactly fantastic but.... GSC is gorgeous- have fun.

I can try and explain why I take the same route nearly every cruise, but really it all comes down to a matter of opinion. Some people like to keep things constant, they like 'tradition' you could say. Others just have a different view, be that they see it as a waste of time, money, and effort, or possibly as if it would get boring fast? All I know is I have my favorite ports and I love them to death.

An example is Cozumel. Now I live in Texas, so really unless I want to fly and make a big deal out of a cruise I'm headed to Cozumel and back. And I'm perfectly fine with this. I have my routine here. Get off the boat, look around a bit, head to Paradise Beach, eat some of their great nachos and guac, come back and hit up Fat Tuesday's and Three Amigos.

I also love St. Thomas. We always take a two island power catamaran tour aboard the Bimini Breeze. The staff is great, so nice and helpful! We snorkel, get to see wild sea turtles, and then on the way back party with the free 'pain killers' - rum and some juice. After that it's usually a trip to the coach store and then to Senor Frogs before getting on the ship to leave!

St. Maarten is my final favorite. A quick Taxi ride over to the shops, maybe a visit to the butterfly farm, lunch at Barefoot Terrace (One of my favorite restuarants in the world!) and then some more shopping before getting back on the boat.

I have a routine in these places, one I've taken time to develop and love! That is why I go back to the same places, because it's a sure garuantee of a good time for me!

I hope this shed some light on the 'repetitive' style of cruising. Have fun on your next cruise where ever it is going!

RT Toronto to Scotland/England still exists in the $600 range if you take the painful AirTransat, which I will drive to take (I'm in the US) on occasion if I can't find anything cheaper.

Tammy- have fun on Breakaway! I know that itin is not exactly fantastic but.... GSC is gorgeous- have fun.

I had friends that used Air Canada for that very reason. They saved so much money doing that over a direct flight from Atlanta.