Why do people cruise to the same place over and over again?

quovadimis

My daughter's in laws sail the same ship and same itinerary EVERY year. Personally, I think that would be boring. We've been to many countries in the Caribbean,Bahamas, Baltic, Russia, Alaska, Hawaii, Australia/New Zealand, New England, Europe, Canada, Panama Canal is booked, Galapagos is on the horizon as are a TA, river cruise and - fingers crossed- the Antarctic, and more. Finding the right ship is important but , IMHO, find the world is even more so!!! We only live once!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The ship is my destination. I just love being at sea... and while I enjoy the ports we go to (repeatedly!), it really doesn't matter to me where we are.

This is me :) I just love being onboard a ship. Sail in circles if you like I'll still be a happy cruiser.

Thanks for your responses everybody. I see there are many different reasons, some I never thought of. We cruise for the ports and like the easiness of a floating hotel but not everybody does :)

And to croooze, thanks for reminding me why I usually don't post on cc and just keep my questions and comments to myself. Does it matter to me...yes, or I wouldn't have asked. I was interested and curious and thought I'd ask and see if anyone was willing to answer and thankfully nice people did.

It was an interesting question. I've often wondered the same thing.

I mostly travel for the ports, but those kinds of vacations are not always very relaxing. Every few years I do enjoy taking a relaxing cruise to somewhere like the Caribbean, where the ports are less important than the fact that I am relaxing, enjoying being on the ocean, and having not a care in the world.

My co-worker and I have had this same discussion many times. He cruises around the same time every year out of Ft. Lauderdale. He likes it there and takes a week pre cruise. Many of the islands he's been to countless times and may even stay on the boat while in port and the majority of the people are gone. I'm on the other side and like to see different places, not saying that I will never go back to a certain place if I enjoyed it. Living in the middle of the continent, we can't cruise without some travel involved so the total price goes up. Living in a place that experiences -40 degree days in January, it's nice to go somewhere warm. I've been on an Alaskan cruise and a Mediterranean cruise so far. Southern Caribbean is next on the list. Looking ahead to possibly a European river, Pacific or South American cruise next. Maybe it will be a European land vacation next but to get there could be on a TA. So many places to see and so little time to do it.

i am not a hot beachy person and I cant afford to go across the pond , as they say, so I stick with to my beloved Alaska. it is gorgeous, full of history and culture and the wildlife is spectacular. If I was rich I would branch out more, but my budget dictates my destinations.

i am not a hot beachy person and I cant afford to go across the pond , as they say, so I stick with to my beloved Alaska. it is gorgeous, full of history and culture and the wildlife is spectacular. If I was rich I would branch out more, but my budget dictates my destinations.

Dusty, Alaska cruises are still expensive, you spend about as much as as going on a European cruise. I know, I have done both. Buy some of Rick Steve's books, he tells you how to do Europe without spending an arm and leg.

BTW, we loved Alaska, but we saw more wildlife on a catamaran cruise at Santa Barbara than we did on a catamaran cruise from Juneau. (of course we did the California in October and the Alaska in late May-so I am sure that effected how much wildlife we saw)Just like Alaska, we saw whales spouting and dolphins from the cruise ship too. As the ship came into Ensenada port we saw tons of sea lions sunning on this large pile of rocks near the dock. It was nothing liek the Caribbean cruises we have done for sure. The only thing the California coastal cruise did not have was those beautiful blue glaciers.

Some of the Caribbean Islands have beautiful beaches and some historical and/or nature places to visit. However, many times, you wouldn't want to spend a week there. We enjoy the ride getting there, spend the day at a place of our choosing (for us that usually means the beach), then back on the ship for the fun and nightlife.

I also have visited many places on land more than once - because we enjoy those places. I do go to new places, but the ones we enjoy the most we go back to.

To answer the OP's question--it's personality, opportunity, and pleasures!

Some love sun, sand, and surf--I am allergic to the sun and have hives all over if out in it for more than an hour!

Some love the comfortably familiar--the soothing motion of the ship, the sound of water, the convenience of a choice of dining (but not TOO many choices!)

Some want ease of travel--Midwesterners must fly to any port!

Some have to consider finances first, or family, or work.

I've reached the point, thankfully, where only health would prevent my going, and I am working on my bucket list. Trying to see the things I've read about and longed to see forever.

I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?

We have cruised to the same ports in Mexico, Alaska, and Canada multiple times but each visit is a different experience. Sure we have favorite places we return to sometimes but mostly we find new and interesting things to do and explore. We feel more at home in the ports and don't have to take a tour to see the highlights we can now find fascinating new adventures. Plus for us the ship is the thing the ports are just bonuses.

Dusty, Alaska cruises are still expensive, you spend about as much as as going on a European cruise. I know, I have done both. Buy some of Rick Steve's books, he tells you how to do Europe without spending an arm and leg.

BTW, we loved Alaska, but we saw more wildlife on a catamaran cruise at Santa Barbara than we did on a catamaran cruise from Juneau. (of course we did the California in October and the Alaska in late May-so I am sure that effected how much wildlife we saw)Just like Alaska, we saw whales spouting and dolphins from the cruise ship too. As the ship came into Ensenada port we saw tons of sea lions sunning on this large pile of rocks near the dock. It was nothing liek the Caribbean cruises we have done for sure. The only thing the California coastal cruise did not have was those beautiful blue glaciers.

hi momofmeg. it sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. seeing the wildlife is awesome. I love the ports in Alaska so that also determines my choice to go there. I really like rick steve's. he is a great. I will see what happens in my cruise future ;).

hi momofmeg. it sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. seeing the wildlife is awesome. I love the ports in Alaska so that also determines my choice to go there. I really like rick steve's. he is a great. I will see what happens in my cruise future ;).

I agree with Mom. I've priced out Alaska and Europe and there isn't much difference, particularly because many European ports require no tour to enjoy. We had many ports where we got off, spent the day exploring, dropped a few coins into collection boxes at some churches and paid small admission fees (the equivalent of a few dollars US) to enter a few museums, had lunch with house wine or draft beer and got the WiFi password so we could check e-mail for the equivalent of $10-15 US for two, many ports we spent maybe $20 all day for the two of us including lunch. We had others that we spent more, but didn't need to if we didn't want to.

Especially if you go shoulder season In the spring and fall, there are great deals on airfare, the weather is usually fantastic, and cruise fares are lower. We've seen a lot of great specials where airfare is included during off seasons as well.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We try variety in our travel; different states, Canada and Europe (when we can afford it). We also love to cruise in the Caribbean during the cold New England winters. We have visited some islands a number of times because we enjoy them. There are some however that we don't bother getting off the ship.

Frankly, it's quite annoying to have to explain to anyone why one goes to the same place again and again. Even more annoying are the ones who base everything on their opinion, what they do and want to convince you it's the only way. No one needs or has to explain their choice.:)

Frankly, it's quite annoying to have to explain to anyone why one goes to the same place again and again. Even more annoying are the ones who base everything on their opinion, what they do and want to convince you it's the only way. No one needs or has to explain their choice.:)

Wow, are you rude!!!!! Noone said you had to answer. It was a question, and everyone who answered had a choice to do so.You are way to negative for me, but then that is my opinion.

For us we enjoy the voyage part of the cruise. We just love being aboard a ship. It's an easy trip to sail from New York City just a short cab ride to the West Side Pier, Brooklyn Terminal or Cape Liberty in New Jersey.

We happily sail again and again to the Caribbean because it's an easy trip without the need to fly anywhere which is an added expense and a tremendous hassle. Ideally, we'd prefer to cruise the Mediterranean or Transatlantic for New York but, we don't always have the time or funds for those trips.

So we continue to sail from our hometown because being aboard a ship is the best way to travel.

Jonathan

Wow, are you rude!!!!! Noone said you had to answer. It was a question, and everyone who answered had a choice to do so.You are way to negative for me, but then that is my opinion.

Rude, REALLY?

Simply saying that in my oprinion, it's annoying to have to justify going to the same place is rude? Of course, no one said I had to answer but, even though you didn't like it, everyone is permitted to answer a question in their own way.

Pot calling....oh never mind.;):)

I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?

We love to cruise, don't fly and because we have to board our kitten we don't care to spend three days driving to Florida (and three days back) to take a cruise ship to places we have never been such as St. Thomas, etc.. So we will continue to leave out of NOLA and Galveston and visit the same ports of call over and over again. For us it is more about cruising then it is about visiting the same ports of calls. So if it means staying on the ship and enjoying ourselves that is what we will continue to do.

I have friends who own a cottage and every summer they go there for two months. Why do they go to the same place all the time? Other friends have a time share in Mexico and go there 5 times a year. Same place every time. Why? Because they enjoy the experience and it brings back memories that are important to them and their families.

Cruising is the same for many people (including me). They just enjoy it.

I'm a cruiser, not a big porter, so new places don't mean as much to me as the cruise experience and enjoyment on the ship.

I have friends who own a cottage and every summer they go there for two months. Why do they go to the same place all the time? Other friends have a time share in Mexico and go there 5 times a year. Same place every time. Why? Because they enjoy the experience and it brings back memories that are important to them and their families.

Cruising is the same for many people (including me). They just enjoy it.

I'm a cruiser, not a big porter, so new places don't mean as much to me as the cruise experience and enjoyment on the ship.

Good points

Good points

Hi Kentsike good to see you!

I agree also with the post you quoted. We love Myrtle Beach and especially after hubby retires I can see us spending more time there. The friends that got us going there are caregviers to her 95 year old mother. She will not leave her mother for longer than a weekend so cruising is out for them. They like Myrtle Beach because they relax there and her mother can come with them. Her mom stays in the condo while they are on the beach but she can go back and check on her mom often during the day as the condo over looks the beach.

That is one reason too hubby and I try to do a nice cruise/trip every couple of years. (which is what our fiances allow) His mom is almost 80 and we know we may not be able as time goes by. Also, my health issues may prevent us before long. When you consider my age, I am in much worst heath than my MIL in a way. I do feel a lot of people's circumstances dictate what they do for vacations.

Bottom line is most of us take vacations to refresh and recharge. So whatever works and brings us enjoyment, well that is good.

Hi Kentsike good to see you!

I agree also with the post you quoted. We love Myrtle Beach and especially after hubby retires I can see us spending more time there. The friends that got us going there are caregviers to her 95 year old mother. She will not leave her mother for longer than a weekend so cruising is out for them. They like Myrtle Beach because they relax there and her mother can come with them. Her mom stays in the condo while they are on the beach but she can go back and check on her mom often during the day as the condo over looks the beach.

That is one reason too hubby and I try to do a nice cruise/trip every couple of years. (which is what our fiances allow) His mom is almost 80 and we know we may not be able as time goes by. Also, my health issues may prevent us before long. When you consider my age, I am in much worst heath than my MIL in a way. I do feel a lot of people's circumstances dictate what they do for vacations.

Bottom line is most of us take vacations to refresh and recharge. So whatever works and brings us enjoyment, well that is good.

Just to add these friends traveled the world in the past. They have been to Europe numerous times, (he is first generation German American) South America, Africa,etc. and also did several Caribbean cruises over the years. The last cruise they took was to Alaska in 2000 and they took her mom who always wanted to go. They had a great time and was very glad they had gone when they did as her mom couldn't have gone just a few years later.

Now they have no regrets wishing they had traveled more and are very happy with Myrtle Beach.

That is one reason why we try to travel when we can afford it. We know we will not always be able. I doubt we can ever travel as extensively as they did, but that is okay. We enjoy ourselves on our vacations, even the ones closer to home.