Planned New Builds - NCL and RCI gearing up!!

Tom-n-Cheryl

What's the source of your statement of sabotage? Having supervised many drydockings in my career, including 2 cruise ship dockings, it is the owner's responsibility to witness, inspect, and require a operation test, of anything the yard has done. This happens constantly during the docking, not just at the end. If things don't work after a drydocking, it is the owner's responsibility, as they could have required it to be fixed before the ship leaves the yard.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38283914&postcount=117

Worth your time to read.

Some of us are more passionate about Carnival than actual "haters". I would love to see Carnival "be all it can be"... but that, sadly, seems to be fading. Still, I hold out hope.

In the meantime, my future cruise mixture will continue to include mostly NON-Carnival owned lines.

Tom

I'm sorry Tom, I may have unwittingly nudged this thread toward that rabbit hole with my Fincantieri comment earlier. My apologies. :(

Some of us are more passionate about Carnival than actual "haters". I would love to see Carnival "be all it can be"... but that, sadly, seems to be fading. Still, I hold out hope.

In the meantime, my future cruise mixture will continue to include mostly NON-Carnival owned lines.

Tom

I agree with your statement about you being passionate as opposed to a "basher". I am not so sure for amny others here. There is hope, let's see if they fulfill that desire.

I'm sorry Tom, I may have unwittingly nudged this thread toward that rabbit hole with my Fincantieri comment earlier. My apologies. :(

No apologies necessary. I think that we're all adult enough to carry on meaningful discourse without it spiraling down that hole!

Tom

163,000 GT!:eek:

Unbelievable.

The Breakaway-Plus ships will be double the weight of the Spirit class ships, and more than double that weight of the Fantasy ships!

I can't even wrap my head around that size!!!:confused:

Have a pic somewhere from Nassau with the Oasis 225K tons next to the Fantasy. Quite a discrepancy in size.

163,000 GT!:eek:

Unbelievable.

The Breakaway-Plus ships will be double the weight of the Spirit class ships, and more than double that weight of the Fantasy ships!

I can't even wrap my head around that size!!!:confused:

I guess you overlooked the TBD Oasis at 225,000 GT. But I suppose those ships (Oasis, Allure) are a little bit of old news any more.

Tom

The comment wasn't directed at you so I apologize if it seemed that way. More directed at some of the responses to the OP

What's the source of your statement of sabotage? Having supervised many drydockings in my career, including 2 cruise ship dockings, it is the owner's responsibility to witness, inspect, and require a operation test, of anything the yard has done. This happens constantly during the docking, not just at the end. If things don't work after a drydocking, it is the owner's responsibility, as they could have required it to be fixed before the ship leaves the yard.

Look for post from drydock dave. He was on the ship during the drydock and reported it.

Bill

Have a pic somewhere from Nassau with the Oasis 225K tons next to the Fantasy. Quite a discrepancy in size.

Here is one I have saved in 1 of my files. It is L-R:

Majesty OTS

Disney Dream

Carnival Dream

NCL Sky

Oasis OTS

Gregg

1702058453_MajestyDisDreamCarnDreamNCLSkyOasis.jpg.91eaeda30dab0d4f6dfcf87efcc542ec.jpg

I really don't understand why so many Carnival haters roam this board...

Because most "Carnival Haters" used to be Carnival Lovers, have spent massive amounts of money with them over the years, are disappointed in the direction the line is heading and are hopeful for Carnival to return to its glory days.

Or because people are allowed to post/roam anywhere they want.

Listen Up Fellow CCer's:

Look for Carnival to order a few more ships between Autumn 2014 and Summer 2015.

I'm not completely sure about the particular size but there will be more ships ordered for delivery in 2017 & 2018.

Look for post from drydock dave. He was on the ship during the drydock and reported it.

Bill

While I wasn't onboard, as Dave says, it is Carnival's fault for the problems. If there is a problem with labor at Fincantieri, then it isn't something new, and Carnival should have been aware of it when they accepted the bid. The TV's that were damaged, were they installed before the finishing touches, or was this last minute damage? Carnival could have used the crew (if remained onboard), or brought in an Italian security service to secure areas and equipment. I have seen industrial sabotage at a shipyard, one in Canada to be precise, but we were able to mitigate it before it got out of hand.

Sorry I missed that post, I was onboard ship at the time, without internet.

Further, if Carnival knew about these problems, which they should have taken the ship to a "lay berth" to have other Italian contractors, if necessary, to repair this before they returned the ship back to service. They could have taken the ship from Fincantieri at any time that the ship was in the water, and sailed if necessary to another repair facility.

Because most "Carnival Haters" used to be Carnival Lovers, have spent massive amounts of money with them over the years, are disappointed in the direction the line is heading and are hopeful for Carnival to return to its glory days.

Thats right ,well said icon14.gif

But that will never happen.

Ive read the reports some someone working the dry dock too. The sabotage seemed excessive to me and if I were Carnival I would never go back. Its why the ship was not ready to sail .. They would lay cables and someone would go behind the guy and slice it so the next day it had to be redone. Hourly workers spending the day playing football. The big screen in the kids area getting slashed.. many boxes of tvs gone astray.

Seeing how Sunshine sailed I believe the account... but thats just me.

Listen Up Fellow CCer's:

Look for Carnival to order a few more ships between Autumn 2014 and Summer 2015.

I'm not completely sure about the particular size but there will be more ships ordered for delivery in 2017 & 2018.

RCL and NCL both have built solo cabins to appeal to people like me whereas Carnival seems to want to shovel as many into a cabin as possible and the opposite approach. Changing to 200% always on Carnival, but not other lines is pushing me away.

Im not a Carnival hater, but I am dissapointed in their new ships being clones of their old ships and not much innovation.

ncl and rcl can go ahead and build away. it seems they want the bumper cars, rock walls blah blah blah, to me, it takes away the purpose of a cruise. if I want a rock wall or ice rink, i'll stay home. if I want bumper cars, i'll go to six flags and spend $70 as opposed to $4000. newer isn't always better. carnival is fixing up all their ships, I would rather them do that, than build new. rcl or ncl may have more ships, but carnivals will be the safest and that's ok with me

RCL and NCL both have built solo cabins to appeal to people like me whereas Carnival seems to want to shovel as many into a cabin as possible and the opposite approach. Changing to 200% always on Carnival, but not other lines is pushing me away.

Im not a Carnival hater, but I am dissapointed in their new ships being clones of their old ships and not much innovation.

I did a mock booking on rcl the other day just to get a price (thinking about a quick get away sometime) and the cost was $999 per person...when I clicked on the stateroom I wanted, it was now $2,030 (7 day cruise during hurricane season :eek: for a balcony room. that's over double

ncl and rcl can go ahead and build away. it seems they want the bumper cars, rock walls blah blah blah, to me, it takes away the purpose of a cruise. if I want a rock wall or ice rink, i'll stay home. if I want bumper cars, i'll go to six flags and spend $70 as opposed to $4000. newer isn't always better. carnival is fixing up all their ships, I would rather them do that, than build new. rcl or ncl may have more ships, but carnivals will be the safest and that's ok with me

I always find these types of statements to be ridiculous. Oh if I wanted to do xyz I would just stay home and could do it for less. You could say that about anything. If I wanted to lay by the pool, go to the beach, gamble, drink etc i could do all that near my home for much less than a cruise.

The funny thing is carnival is adding these things too. Yet no one complains when they are on THIER ships, just when it's a different line. Carnival now has the rope courses, the waterworks areas, mini golf. How exactly are these things different than what royal or ncl are doing? Simple answer is they aren't.

But I get that some people feel the need to knock other lines to validate their cruise choices. It just seems childish to me.

And the comment that carnival will be the safest. :rolleyes: they are all safe so again an asinine comment.

Carnival builds ships that make sense with a costs per lower berth and economies of scale that the others can only dream of.

NCL has always made passengers to go extra cost restaurants to get edible food and now I read they are jacking the price of Ocean Blue on the Breakaway from $35 to $49 and the price of the thermal suite from $149 to $199. :eek: Only doctors and dentists can afford that kind of moola.

Carnival builds ships that make sense with a costs per lower berth and economies of scale that the others can only dream of.

NCL has always made passengers to go extra cost restaurants to get edible food and now I read they are jacking the price of Ocean Blue on the Breakaway from $35 to $49 and the price of the thermal suite from $149 to $199. :eek: Only doctors and dentists can afford that kind of moola.

i was just on the epic in the MDR i got Edible steaks on the everyday menu 1 dining room had a ribeye the other a strip loin much better cuts than a flat iron and i worked 20 years in a meat restaurant supplier so i know

Just keep those bucket-o-suds coming, right? ;)

Archived