Credit Card Or Cash ?

Geo&Ver

We have a question for the group. Ten years ago for our trip to Barcelona we changed over our money for local currency and paid a premium. This year we are thinking of using only a Credit Card. How can we pay for the cab ride from the airport to the La Rambla in Barcelona -- Credit Card, $Dollars, Euro ? Does anyone have an opinion? Thanks

We use a combination of credit card and cash. We will use a credit card when we can, for things like hotel or restaurants. We will use cash (Euros) for expenses like taxis and snacks. We get Euros from ATM's around the city, and get very good exchange rates. If you use cards like Capital One, there are no foreign transaction fees and ATM fees are refunded up to $30 per month.

Hmmm. First off, the "local currency" happens to be the Euro which is the major currency for most of Western Europe. As to "paying a premium" we wonder why? Simply use any ATM and you will get a very good rate. Just make sure you notify your bank and credit card companies (in advance) of your trip itinerary.

As to credit cards, most charge a foreign exchange fee ranging from 2.5 - 4% on every transaction (a higher rate then you pay using an ATM). There are some notable exception such as the CapitalOne card.

Hank

If you are staying in Barcelona (as opposed to going straight from the airport to ship) you will need some Euros. Not everywhere takes credit cards.

Cards are ok for hotels and large purchases - even some taxis take credit cards. But in smaller restaurants and bars you will be expected to pay cash.

Do not even consider paying with dollars no more than I would expect to come to Florida and expect shops and restaurants to accept Euros.

If you happen to be like us and prefer not to use or depend completely on ATM's, we found the rate from currency exchange places (of which there were several) to be of little difference..Just another option available you might want to consider.

If you happen to be like us and prefer not to use or depend completely on ATM's, we found the rate from currency exchange places (of which there were several) to be of little difference..Just another option available you might want to consider.

I agree.....although I used ATMs when I was in Spain, I like to arrive in foreign countries already having at least a small amount of the local currency. I found the best rate for local purchase of Euros to be from a currency exchange outlet, not from a bank.

How do you find a currency exchange place? Searching online I found Travelex. Is that the type of place you mean?

Thanks.

How do you find a currency exchange place? Searching online I found Travelex. Is that the type of place you mean?

Thanks.

There were a couple along the Las Ramblas in Barcelona..but it depends where you are going. Regardless of where we have been we have always seen them in the tourist areas (except in China) little store fronts..sorry don't remember specific names but they look much like those you find in airports.

You will find several ATMs at the airport. Just use them there. The exchange rate is the same as in ATMs in town. There are also currency exchange bureaus at the airport.

You do pay a premium most times by exchanging in the US.

Archived