Just curious about posting

cattolica

I believe that there is still a great deal of good information to be learned on CC. I know I have received lots of excellent advice when I ask questions.

Although sometimes you can answer a question in one line, there are some posts that make me shake my head and wonder if there is some kind of a prize for making posts that really don't say anything.

Hi Scrapnana,

You know me; most of my posts are at this thread: recycling clothing among cc members. However, I do look around. There are certain posts and posters I do not read. Like you, I will be on one of Cunard’s ship again next year. To me, there are a few posters at the Cunard board who are very helpful; the rest are very stuffy. Also, most of the threads become a joke among the regulars.

Have a great day

Marie

Hmmm. If "know it alls" means I (and others) are guilty of helping folks seeking detailed info....then we do plead guilty.

Hank

I am more referring to those threads that get into heated arguments ad nauseum on subjects like bottled water, dress code in the MDR, smuggling booze, tips, etc.

There is nothing more that can be added on these subjects, so, why do so many waste the time and bother?

To answer my own question, some posters are just bat$#__ crazy.

The SEARCH features on the websites that use this particular format is awful. People can search forever and not find what they want. Sure, there are threads and threads on the same topic. But, I don't blame people if they want to start a new thread to try to get their questions answered.

I'll confess that I probably spend more time on CC than I should. I was unemployed for a few months and I found vicarious pleasure reading about other people's planning and helping out with it. I got help for my own trip here. I got tons of good information here on CC when I was planning my first cruise. So, I feel obligated to give back.

I'm one of the people who can't do one sentence. I babble. But, I do confess that some of the always one-liner comments do drive me up the wall....

The SEARCH features on the websites that use this particular format is awful. People can search forever and not find what they want. Sure, there are threads and threads on the same topic. But, I don't blame people if they want to start a new thread to try to get their questions answered.

I'll confess that I probably spend more time on CC than I should. I was unemployed for a few months and I found vicarious pleasure reading about other people's planning and helping out with it. I got help for my own trip here. I got tons of good information here on CC when I was planning my first cruise. So, I feel obligated to give back.

I'm one of the people who can't do one sentence. I babble. But, I do confess that some of the always one-liner comments do drive me up the wall....

Why?

I am more referring to those threads that get into heated arguments ad nauseum on subjects like bottled water, dress code in the MDR, smuggling booze, tips, etc.

There is nothing more that can be added on these subjects, so, why do so many waste the time and bother?

To answer my own question, some posters are just bat$#__ crazy.

Bear in mind that a LOT of those threads get poofed and are not available in a search.

It's almost impossible to search by topic on an iPad app.... I have to switch to my safari do due a detailed search if I have a question. I am fairly new here and have plenty of questions, attempts to search and then finally ask.

3013 Sept Carnival Ecstacy

2011 Dec Carnival Fascination

2010 Sept Carnival Elation

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I try to be helpful.

I attempt to answer the same question over and over because I know that although it is 'old news' to me, it is brand new to the person who asked. I also admit to being social on the boards. After being around here so long, it is impossible to not form some sort of 'acquaintanceship' with others who are regulars. It makes the boards more fun for some of us. I do take note you have been here since 2000.... a longer time than me. :)

For me, the next best thing to cruising is talking about cruising and I enjoy coming here and posting often.

Hopefully, there will be a day I can assist with some information you are seeking, OP.

I certainly will try.

7 hit the nail on the head. Well said.

Although I have only been around here since 2009 or 2010? I can't even remember at this point, I spend a lot of time on here either researching my next cruise (and I am VERY much in to researching and getting every little detail) or trying to help others out. I believe this place is a very valuable place for cruisers. So many people have helped me out with planning, suggestions, pictures, reviews, answer questions about the ships and so on. I in return try to help others out with any knowledge that I might have. That's why I do reviews with every cruise. As my cruising continues each year, I also try to gather additional information (that a normal cruiser or vacationer would just simply not do) for the people on here with my pictures. I take pictures of the dumbest things...from where a hairdryer is located to the electrical outlets and so on. Why? Because I know that question is going to come up. It helps so much better to have a picture to put with it. I put a lot of effort into a lot of my postings most of the time, when it comes to helping others out. I have been known to take maps into photoshop and draw arrows to a certain place to point things out. I go on to google earth and take screen shots and list things on it for others. Anything to help out. I love this community.

I also love roll calls. Yes, I have participated in chit-chat and non-sense on roll calls. However, I believe that people get to know each other better before the cruise and that makes things go a little smoother most of the time. We talk to each other for months (sometimes years) ahead of time and we start to feel like we know each other by the cruise and are long lost friends. Some of my good friends have come from roll calls. I have friends from back when I first signed up for this board and took my first cruise after being away from the cruise world for about 10+ years. We still talk on facebook daily, we sometimes call or text each other, we send Christmas cards and sometimes gifts, and yes...we even plan additional cruises together. I am cruising in December with 2 friends from previous (different ships) cruises. That's the beauty of roll call. Although some you win, some you lose. I also have roll calls that I never spoke to them again after the cruise. I have to say, those were the roll calls that didn't "talk" much. :( Also, since cc has banned the linking to facebook roll calls (which is where a lot of the normal chit-chat would occur), it makes it harder to get to know your fellow cruisers and you have to do it in roll call now.

I hope the OP does not let a few one liners, idle chit-chat or off topic subjects deter them from gathering valuable information from those of us that truly are here to help. :)

I guess I did not realize that folks did not know that Roll Calls, as mitsugirly has pointed out, are designed to help pax on the same cruise get to know each other! They are not really there only to answer practical questions about the cruise, and not simply to help people put together Meet and Greet parties or group excursions. Thus topics of all kinds come up (including cats' hairballs :D), and two-way conversations often develop between posters who either already know each other, or who find they have something in common on the thread and begin to form a relationship. These sorts of conversations should not be looked at by others on the Roll Call as exclusive or private (obviously -- they are on a "public" thread) . Other posters should feel free to join in, or post on other topics, as that is what the Roll Calls are for, and members -- even the ones who seem to be chatting back and forth pretty much only with each other -- (should) understand this.

The other thing folks may need to remember is that "one-liners" and chit-chatty posts, perhaps especially in the Roll Calls, but really in most threads, are often designed to "bump" the thread up to the "New Posts" list, so they are easy to find. This is often why Roll Call posters communicate their two-way conversations on CC instead of via email (as they are often "instructed" to do by other posters who feel left out): to keep the thread on the New Posts pages, so as to keep it from dissolving into the mist of the Search function.

Most CC users figure out pretty quickly, as has also been pointed out on this thread, that the search function is way too cumbersome to be really useful. Besides the threads I subscribe to and get email notifications about, I find most of the threads I read and am interested in (and often begin to follow) not by searching, but by using the "New Posts" link.

All the ins and outs of how the boards really work is still a mystery to me, even though I have been a member (and a poster) since 2006. I think I "get" some (many?) aspects of it, but as you can tell by my earlier query about "post counts," I, too, still have questions.

I like to read through the posts fairly quickly and glean an information I can or answer with a constructive helpful answer. I do find the "welcome to cruise critic" posts tiring. And I'm thinking folks don't realize there is no free cruise just because you posted 50,000 posts!!! I think it kind of rude and juvenile when folks flame someone just because of their opinion, and when folks HAVE to post a comment like, when someone asks "How much will such and such cost?" and someone posts "around $50" and the next poster posts something like "THe previous poster is totally WRONG it will cost $48.72". Again.....are you posting just because you want to have over 50K posts?!?!?!?!?!!? THe previous answer was pretty juch spot on, jusrt move on and add your drivel somewhere else. And the "experts" who contradict every little generalization and feel they HAVE to add hard and fast specifics......especially when someone posts a comment based on a situation they actually experienced, and someone else has to contradict or discredit what someone's posted.........Lighten Up!!!!!! folks, it's not like someone is waiting for a kidney transplant or something! At any rate...I've vented enough...I still enjoy visiting the CC boards regularly and cruising is still my favorite way to vacation. I've been on well over 125 voyages either cruise, TAs, or river cruises over the past 40 yrs.

I like to read through the posts fairly quickly and glean an information I can or answer with a constructive helpful answer. I do find the "welcome to cruise critic" posts tiring. And I'm thinking folks don't realize there is no free cruise just because you posted 50,000 posts!!! I think it kind of rude and juvenile when folks flame someone just because of their opinion, and when folks HAVE to post a comment like, when someone asks "How much will such and such cost?" and someone posts "around $50" and the next poster posts something like "THe previous poster is totally WRONG it will cost $48.72". Again.....are you posting just because you want to have over 50K posts?!?!?!?!?!!? THe previous answer was pretty juch spot on, jusrt move on and add your drivel somewhere else. And the "experts" who contradict every little generalization and feel they HAVE to add hard and fast specifics......especially when someone posts a comment based on a situation they actually experienced, and someone else has to contradict or discredit what someone's posted.........Lighten Up!!!!!! folks, it's not like someone is waiting for a kidney transplant or something! At any rate...I've vented enough...I still enjoy visiting the CC boards regularly and cruising is still my favorite way to vacation. I've been on well over 125 voyages either cruise, TAs, or river cruises over the past 40 yrs.

Yeah, I am with you on how annoying and frustrating CC boards can be -- but then, that is because humans are involved!! Sometimes I read some posts and think, "What is wrong with these people?" I probably should be thinking, "What is wrong with me that I keep coming back for more?" :rolleyes:

CC boards are a little like tabloid newspapers or slasher movies, I guess -- they appeal to the voyeur in all of us. And frankly, it is an ego-trip when you can read someone else's post and think how smart you are compared to them! ;)

I would like to ask, though, since you mentioned it, about this concept of "high post count." I have asked this before, and the only answer I got was "ego." Here's my question:

What really is the motivation to have a high post count? Is there some sort of reward or at least notoriety involved? If not, is it purely ego -- a way to seem to have authority, or just to stand out in a crowd? I have not read anything on the "instructions/policies" pages that gives any info at all on this, so I wonder why folks care.

Just curious, as I have not yet figured this out.

What I can't figure out is why so many people are always concerned about someone else s post count. :confused: I mean what really makes the difference? I never pay attention to someones post count unless someone comes on and post something (that sometimes seems off the wall) and I have responded with advice only later for someone else to mention "it's a one post wonder posting a negative/bad report on a cruise ship and never to be seen again". Then I might go back and see what they are talking about only to find out that this person had 1 post and only 1 post. Other than that, I have never thought about looking at a post count. It makes no difference to me. I don't judge someones response to a question I might have by how many posts they have. Someone could be an experienced cruiser and have 100 cruises under their belt, but have only posted 50 times over the last 10 years. Would I discredit their response? Nope, not at all. Someone may have 50,000 post, does that make them a reliable source and they are the king/queen of cruising and know it all? Nope. So post counts make absolutely no difference to me. :p It's the content in the post that matters to me.

Everyone is always so quick to judge about this issue. Most will never know "why". Maybe someone has just been around here for a very long time and their count is high. Maybe someone is retired and spends a lot of time on here posting. Maybe someone just loves to cruise and post a lot. Maybe someone does a lot of research and ask questions. Maybe someone can offer a lot of help because they have experienced something that pertains to another cruisers question. Others may just post 1 word/sentences for the reason to get a post count up :confused: No one really knows and I'm not sure why anyone cares. But it always seems to come up on here now and then and bothers people here and there.

Just everyone continue to enjoy this place, have fun cruising, get along with others and be respectful, and most of all enjoy life and don't let the little things bring you down. It's just an online community full of a diverse variety of people. If there's something you don't like, just skip over it or click out of the thread. Don't dwell on post counts. They mean absolutely nothing. :) Happy cruising!

I don't think any really "cares" about someone's post count, but when some folks have over 50K posts, and you look at their posts and the last 27 posts are nothing more than "welcome to cruise critic"......why bother? I'm on the board either offering (what I think) is a helpful answer to a question or posting a question. If I were new to the boards and I posted a question, I'd be looking at my thread for answers, and as warm and friendly as someone might want to be, just a "welcome" post is of no help. THen I sometimes think, are some of these folks older retirees who have no other interests and spend most of their day on CC? ANd then the other side of me thinks maybe its someone who is so passionate about cruising, they want to be welcoming and friendly. At any rate......CC does give me hours of pleasure inspite of mega posters. whiners, complainers and know it alls. I just glance over some of the posts, chuckle and move on. The only think I don't like is when a couple of posters get on the same thread and continue post while degrading and insulting each other about each others comments, especially when by that time it has absolutely nothing to do with the original post.

I am newbie to this site. I have learnt very fast that you cannot post questions unless you have thick skin because you do get lectured and you must phrase your question "correctly". I made a simple error and used the wrong terminology in a thread question (to do with cabin doors) and I got hammered and only one of the responses actually answered my question directly - everyone else gave me a lecture.

But I do think Cruise Critic is a fabulous forum. As a complete novice to cruising, this is such a great resource. I have learnt so much from everyone in such a short time that I already feel well-prepared for my first cruise at the end of the year.

I am newbie to this site. I have learnt very fast that you cannot post questions unless you have thick skin because you do get lectured and you must phrase your question "correctly". I made a simple error and used the wrong terminology in a thread question (to do with cabin doors) and I got hammered and only one of the responses actually answered my question directly - everyone else gave me a lecture.

But I do think Cruise Critic is a fabulous forum. As a complete novice to cruising, this is such a great resource. I have learnt so much from everyone in such a short time that I already feel well-prepared for my first cruise at the end of the year.

an aussie complaining about sledging ;)

I guess I did not realize that folks did not know that Roll Calls, as mitsugirly has pointed out, are designed to help pax on the same cruise get to know each other! They are not really there only to answer practical questions about the cruise, and not simply to help people put together Meet and Greet parties or group excursions. Thus topics of all kinds come up (including cats' hairballs :D), and two-way conversations often develop between posters who either already know each other, or who find they have something in common on the thread and begin to form a relationship. These sorts of conversations should not be looked at by others on the Roll Call as exclusive or private (obviously -- they are on a "public" thread) . Other posters should feel free to join in, or post on other topics, as that is what the Roll Calls are for, and members -- even the ones who seem to be chatting back and forth pretty much only with each other -- (should) understand this.

The other thing folks may need to remember is that "one-liners" and chit-chatty posts, perhaps especially in the Roll Calls, but really in most threads, are often designed to "bump" the thread up to the "New Posts" list, so they are easy to find. This is often why Roll Call posters communicate their two-way conversations on CC instead of via email (as they are often "instructed" to do by other posters who feel left out): to keep the thread on the New Posts pages, so as to keep it from dissolving into the mist of the Search function.

Most CC users figure out pretty quickly, as has also been pointed out on this thread, that the search function is way too cumbersome to be really useful. Besides the threads I subscribe to and get email notifications about, I find most of the threads I read and am interested in (and often begin to follow) not by searching, but by using the "New Posts" link.

All the ins and outs of how the boards really work is still a mystery to me, even though I have been a member (and a poster) since 2006. I think I "get" some (many?) aspects of it, but as you can tell by my earlier query about "post counts," I, too, still have questions.

One of the first things I did after booking our first cruise was to join a roll call for that cruise. I have found the people that post there to be very friendly and helpful. I feel that I am accepted almost like extended family. I have been invited along on excursions, given valuable advice about cruising in general, and been included in group activities among cruising friends that have known each other for years. I enjoy the daily weather reports from around the country and folks telling about their day to day experiences. I am looking forward to meeting these folks in person knowing that my cruise is going to be even better because of them.:D

Bob

I am newbie to this site. I have learnt very fast that you cannot post questions unless you have thick skin because you do get lectured and you must phrase your question "correctly".

Given the nature of the recent postings on this thread, I almost hate to say this, but I can't resist:

"Welcome to Cruise Critic!" ;) Unfortunately, there are some on these boards who, as you quickly found out, rather than opening the front door to welcome you in, seem to prefer to "show you the door," with the admonition to "not let the door hit you in the behind on your way out!" :mad:

It's sad, but it's true. Some CC posters need to seriously lighten up.

Hope you stick with us. You can be a force for good!

I do have a question for the OP "Cattolica" should (s)he come back to this thread. Your CC name.....is that where you or your family is from in Italy? It's my "hometown"....a beautiful section of Italy on the northern Adriatic. Anyone else been there? THe fondest memories I have is going back to visit in the 60's and 70's and sailing on the Italian Line ships out of NYC.

Archived