WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

My buddy is on the AOS at the moment and has a friend in GS.

On the current AOS sailing at 11.59pm last night (9 days into the 12 day cruise) 124 people (not staterooms) had asked for all gratuities to be removed from their Seapass accounts. His friend at GS said they also expect more people to request this tommorrow (the last day before disembarkation) as people tend to do it last minute as they assume their stateroom attendant/waiter/asst waiter won't find out (that's shocking and dishonest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - that makes my blood boil :mad:)

Interestingly she did say that despite this happening with sometimes up to 400 passengers per cruise, there are now a lot more gratuities being paid than under the old system. Many more people would not pre-pay gratuities and then not pay anything in cash while on the cruise under the old way of administering gratuities. She said the worst cruises for this used to be the 6 day Caribbean sailings.

WOW ! :eek:

My son works at port everglades and got talking to some RCI crew and bartenders about the new auto pay gratuities. The crew actually do not like this because they say that even the slackers (crew) get tipped. The good ones feel slighted now. Just reporting what was said.

I travel quite a bit, and know when I go into countries that do not tip, there isn't a lot of incentive for great customers service.

We know! There is nothing you can do about it. It's none of your business anyway. I always tip extra......cultural differences. Can you wear shorts while you are stiffing staff in the MDR. Do you pay them in euros? Maybe there can be a public announcement of those who remove their tips from their sea pass. They shouldn't be allowed to cruise. We end up paying more. Oops that's none of MY business. Choose another line cheapo! I believe the coffe is awful. I hate threads about threads.

Seriously.......what is the answer? There must be one!

Up to 400 people out of 3, 4, 5000 isn't a lot.

I don't really get the obsession people have with what other people do or what the crew makes. If the cruise line really wanted to stop it they could simply make it a non removable service charge but clearly they want to leave it up to the discretion of each guest. And per your own post, they said more people pay now than before. Unless it becomes mandatory there will always be people that remove tips. That is the risk you take when accepting a tipped position. No different that a server at your local restaurant. Every table does not tip. It's just the way it works. It's not my business how other people chose to spend their money.

We know! There is nothing you can do about it. It's none of your business anyway. I always tip extra......cultural differences. Can you wear shorts while you are stiffing staff in the MDR. Do you pay them in euros? Maybe there can be a public announcement of those who remove their tips from their sea pass. They shouldn't be allowed to cruise. We end up paying more. Oops that's none of MY business. Choose another line cheapo! I believe the coffe is awful. I hate threads about threads.

:confused:

I would like to see the daily tips become non-removable!! Then those who are cheap will either have to pay the tips or not cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Many people I talk to are not even aware the tip can be removed, but I am talking about Northern Europeans, with the exception of restaurants tipping is not the norm here, that said we are more than happy to tip for good service.

Unless the service was really bad I see no reason to remove a tip unless I suspected the people I wanted to tip were not getting their fair share.

I would like to see the daily tips become non-removable!! Then those who are cheap will either have to pay the tips or not cruise with Royal Caribbean.

I believe if the tips become non-removable, then they have to be included as part of the advertised cruise fare. Whoever did this would be at a competitive disadvantage as long as other cruise lines did not follow the same practice.

On the current AOS sailing at 11.59pm last night (9 days into the 12 day cruise) 124 people (not staterooms) had asked for all gratuities to be removed from their Seapass accounts. His friend at GS said they also expect more people to request this tommorrow (the last day before disembarkation) as people tend to do it last minute as they assume their stateroom attendant/waiter/asst waiter won't find out (that's shocking and dishonest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - that makes my blood boil :mad:)

RCI needs to disallow stopping gratuities without cause. Other than "cause I don't want to". If this persists the recommended amount will go up and those of us that comply will get hit for higher charges. Enough of my money goes to those that don't pay their way now!!!

I believe if the tips become non-removable, then they have to be included as part of the advertised cruise fare. Whoever did this would be at a competitive disadvantage as long as other cruise lines did not follow the same practice.

So RCCI are prepared to mislead their potential customers???? What about transparency? Is that not good business?

Someone has got to be the first to put this thing on the level. They will reap the rewards of all just leaders......

RCI needs to disallow stopping gratuities without cause. Other than "cause I don't want to". If this persists the recommended amount will go up and those of us that comply will get hit for higher charges. Enough of my money goes to those that don't pay their way now!!!

Well said!

Why jump to the conclusion that everyone who has pre paid gratuities removed does it to avoid paying any tips? We had ours removed from our Sea Pass on our recent cruise because we preferred to give the cash directly to the crew members who had served us personally. They got the recommended tips plus a little extra.

So RCCI are prepared to mislead their potential customers???? What about transparency? Is that not good business?

Someone has got to be the first to put this thing on the level. They will reap the rewards of all just leaders......

Royal does not hide the fact that gratuities are added to the bill:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5520&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq

Why jump to the conclusion that everyone who has pre paid gratuities removed does it to avoid paying any tips? We had ours removed from our Sea Pass on our recent cruise because we preferred to give the cash directly to the crew members who had served us personally. They got the recommended tips plus a little extra.

Exactly. And there are a lot of us who do just that, I'm sure, and will continue to do so. Including myself and my family.

BS. Like you said earlier......they all do! royal included Re read what you said. Best not to give an opinion.....just stick with churning out facts.....or pointing to a policy!

I personally liked the old way of handed the staff envelopes. The only thing I was worried about was missing someone. I have to admit, we have missed the "Kid's crew" staff. We planned on tipping the last night and the kids didn't go and we never made it there. I felt really bad. We now tip a day or two early.

I normally would go to the MDR upon embarkation and check out the table. If I'm not satisfied, I'll make a request to the Maitre'd and tip him on embarkation day. I would also approach the head waiter on the first night and "thank him" in advance. This ensures that he addresses the staff.

On the envelopes, I always rounded up. The room steward would get something small upfront to make sure we always had ice.

It's my vacation and I want the staff to make it the best possible. I worked in the restaurant business years ago and understand what gets you service. Just the way it is here in NY. Small price to pay for having a great time.

Why start a new thread on a previous post from you?

Interestingly she did say that despite this happening with sometimes up to 400 passengers per cruise, there are now a lot more gratuities being paid than under the old system. Many more people would not pre-pay gratuities and then not pay anything in cash while on the cruise under the old way of administering gratuities. She said the worst cruises for this used to be the 6 day Caribbean sailings.

I totally agree with what you do. A tip is added to all of the bar checks and if service is ok we leave extra. We have had totally rude MD service when we have dined as a couple. Wrong food, and then no food. I remember by youth and being a server, so I am very polite always. A gratuity is for service above not for just serving you (which is the job). I have never gotten a bonus for just doing my job.

I wonder... are the people cheap or just dissatisfied with the level of service? Perhaps they should make the tip mandatory and then if you are dissatisfied with the service you can go to customer service and remove the tip from the server or provider but they will reallocate it to the on-board charity instead of your account (like the Make a wish). ;) Perhaps then people will decide if the true cost of cruising is too much for them.

Just saying, make them pay someone for the tip. I have never had to hold the tip back, any issues I had were always dealt with by talking to the server involved.

Mike

I personally liked the old way of handed the staff envelopes. The only thing I was worried about was missing someone. I have to admit, we have missed the "Kid's crew" staff. We planned on tipping the last night and the kids didn't go and we never made it there. I felt really bad. We now tip a day or two early.

I normally would go to the MDR upon embarkation and check out the table. If I'm not satisfied, I'll make a request to the Maitre'd and tip him on embarkation day. I would also approach the head waiter on the first night and "thank him" in advance. This ensures that he addresses the staff.

On the envelopes, I always rounded up. The room steward would get something small upfront to make sure we always had ice.

It's my vacation and I want the staff to make it the best possible. I worked in the restaurant business years ago and understand what gets you service. Just the way it is here in NY. Small price to pay for having a great time.

All I do is ask for ice and "presto". I've never had to pay for ice.

You are correct.