WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

Just pay the staff on the ship a proper living wage!

Not paying such a wage is degrading and inhumane.

Where I live (Australia) it is also not legal

If anyone is "stiffing" anyone its the cruise lines failing to pay its staff and expecting you as a customer to pay for its staff in addition to your cruise fare.

What I would like to see is a cruise fare that is structured to ensure all staff get paid a proper wage , the current "TIP" is no such thing , it is an on board semi mandatory service charge.

Its not an honest way to do things.

A cruise fare that honestly covers the true costs is what should be offered.

Best regards

John

Just pay the staff on the ship a proper living wage!

Not paying such a wage is degrading and inhumane.

Where I live (Australia) it is also not legal

If anyone is "stiffing" anyone its the cruise lines failing to pay its staff and expecting you as a customer to pay for its staff in addition to your cruise fare.

What I would like to see is a cruise fare that is structured to ensure all staff get paid a proper wage , the current "TIP" is no such thing , it is an on board semi mandatory service charge.

Its not an honest way to do things.

A cruise fare that honestly covers the true costs is what should be offered.

Best regards

John

Degrading and inhumane? No I don't think so.

The thing that people can't seem to grasp is that many people in tipped positions make more money this way vs the company paying them an hourly wage.

There is a restaurant in the Orlando area that people are dying to get into to be a server. Why? Because they make more money working 3-4 nights a week on tips than someone working a full time job with a regular salary.

We know! There is nothing you can do about it. It's none of your business anyway. I always tip extra......cultural differences. Can you wear shorts while you are stiffing staff in the MDR. Do you pay them in euros? Maybe there can be a public announcement of those who remove their tips from their sea pass. They shouldn't be allowed to cruise. We end up paying more. Oops that's none of MY business. Choose another line cheapo! I believe the coffe is awful. I hate threads about threads.

Seriously.......what is the answer? There must be one!

Here's an answer, worry about yourself not others.

Honestly, what is the obsession some people have with this topic:confused:?

I believe if the tips become non-removable, then they have to be included as part of the advertised cruise fare. Whoever did this would be at a competitive disadvantage as long as other cruise lines did not follow the same practice.

Yes;Part of the cruise fare and TAXABLE!

No way do I want to pay taxes on tips.

Jane

I personally liked the old way of handed the staff envelopes. The only thing I was worried about was missing someone. I have to admit, we have missed the "Kid's crew" staff. We planned on tipping the last night and the kids didn't go and we never made it there. I felt really bad. We now tip a day or two early.

I normally would go to the MDR upon embarkation and check out the table. If I'm not satisfied, I'll make a request to the Maitre'd and tip him on embarkation day. I would also approach the head waiter on the first night and "thank him" in advance. This ensures that he addresses the staff.

On the envelopes, I always rounded up. The room steward would get something small upfront to make sure we always had ice.

It's my vacation and I want the staff to make it the best possible. I worked in the restaurant business years ago and understand what gets you service. Just the way it is here in NY. Small price to pay for having a great time.

You might think that tipping "up front" on RCI is giving you an edge...but more often that's not the case....Did you ever think that you might be insinuating that they are going to give you poor service unless you "grease" their palm...

I think to feel you need to do this to the Maitre'd is a bit demeaning to his position onboard. The crew/staff of RCI is there to make sure you have an amazing cruise...Relax...offer your gratuities when they are expected and not considered a bribe for service...After many many years of loyally cruising with RCI, I personally have never felt the need to do this and am sorry you have.. ;)

Edited by Ashland

Degrading and inhumane? No I don't think so.

The thing that people can't seem to grasp is that many people in tipped positions make more money this way vs the company paying them an hourly wage.

There is a restaurant in the Orlando area that people are dying to get into to be a server. Why? Because they make more money working 3-4 nights a week on tips than someone working a full time job with a regular salary.

To which reference do you refer? By the way there are a few like that in Orlando, but they are not the norm. Also, those servers are top notch, most being college graduates or post graduates.

All I do is ask for ice and "presto". I've never had to pay for ice.

I agree, ice should be a staple. I'm afraid that one day we'll have to 'tip' for sheets and blankets....:eek:

I pre-pay my gratuities and behave myself, and feel that everyone deserves what they get.

:D

Why jump to the conclusion that everyone who has pre paid gratuities removed does it to avoid paying any tips? We had ours removed from our Sea Pass on our recent cruise because we preferred to give the cash directly to the crew members who had served us personally. They got the recommended tips plus a little extra.

Confused, why remove the grats to give back extra to the staff?

surely leaving the pre paid and giving a few extra bucks would be the same?

Especially as they are supposed to declare these cash tips up to the minimum rate.

This unfortunately (does not apply to you) is the must heard at reception.

j

There are numerous problems with the new system. Also, staff don't always actually get what they are supposed to. Because of this I now have Royal Caribbean refund all the required prepaid gratuities and then pay everyone in cash directly, and usually more than the recommended amount. Also, if I dont go to the main dining room a single time, why should I have to pay gratuities to a waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter for dinner? I would much rather spend that gratuity money on the waiters I have at specialty restaurants.

We know! There is nothing you can do about it. It's none of your business anyway. I always tip extra......cultural differences. Can you wear shorts while you are stiffing staff in the MDR. Do you pay them in euros? Maybe there can be a public announcement of those who remove their tips from their sea pass. They shouldn't be allowed to cruise. We end up paying more. Oops that's none of MY business. Choose another line cheapo! I believe the coffe is awful. I hate threads about threads.

Seriously.......what is the answer? There must be one!

Here's an answer, worry about yourself not others.

Honestly, what is the obsession some people have with this topic:confused:?

And why do some people get so touchy and hostile :mad: I thought discussions and opinions (agreed or not) were "allowed" on these boards :confused:

I totally agree with what you do. A tip is added to all of the bar checks and if service is ok we leave extra. We have had totally rude MD service when we have dined as a couple. Wrong food, and then no food. I remember by youth and being a server, so I am very polite always. A gratuity is for service above not for just serving you (which is the job). I have never gotten a bonus for just doing my job.

The 15% added to the cost of drinks cannot be removed , it is a mandatory service charge .. it cannot possibly be described as a tip!

Lets call a spade a spade !

Best Regards

John

There are numerous problems with the new system. Also, staff don't always actually get what they are supposed to. Because of this I now have Royal Caribbean refund all the required prepaid gratuities and then pay everyone in cash directly, and usually more than the recommended amount. Also, if I dont go to the main dining room a single time, why should I have to pay gratuities to a waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter for dinner? I would much rather spend that gratuity money on the waiters I have at specialty restaurants.

A fair system would be to pay all the staff on the ship a proper wage, tipping could then be a personal thing done to reward service that one considers has gone well beyond the normal level expected

That solves your problem of who you wish to reward

best regards

John

What is wrong with the system is that you have to elect to opt out of paying.. it should be the other way round !

Best regards

John

What is wrong with that?

Nothing wrong at all , if fact its the honest and correct thing to do! it makes it clear exactly what the true cost of your cruise is , I'm all for it.

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

As I read all the posts regarding TIPs, I feel that more and more posters are telling porkie pies. Not all Brits are perfect tippers, me for one but when I do tip I do it with style, Its the culture in the US but I have come across very poor tippers, who blow very big trumpets. So now I resign myself to ignoring these posts as the truth is a distant thing,

He doesn't care. He lives to provoke on these boards. He will not stop...

Very wrong. I care very much which is why I comment and add to the discussion in a direct, sometimes provocative manner, where I feel such an approach to be appropriate.

I hate blind faith which is what some people seem to show towards their line.

I have only booked cruises with RCI but they are not perfect. If my comments get through and changes are made then great. If you have nothing constructive to say then don't say anything.

Oh..and your partial re quote of my original post was aimed at being provocative as it was deliberately and completely out of context!

Edited by Newtoncruise

Coming from a non tipping country - we have prepaid our Gratuities, as we don't know when and how much to tip and don't want to spend our cruise worrying about tipping!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by beadshopper

As I read all the posts regarding TIPs, I feel that more and more posters are telling porkie pies. Not all Brits are perfect tippers, me for one but when I do tip I do it with style, Its the culture in the US but I have come across very poor tippers, who blow very big trumpets. So now I resign myself to ignoring these posts as the truth is a distant thing,
Totally agree, I've travelled to the US for over 30 years and always tipped but until I started cruising I was never in a position to see people deliberately avoid tipping despite vocalising how such big tippers they are earlier in the week.

Yes, there are many reasons why people don't come to the MDR on the last night, but boy the percentage of empty tables has been staggering at times :rolleyes:

For this reason alone the On Board Service Charge (which is what it is listed as on UK invoices and has been for years) should be mandatory (thank you RCI) but more importantly should not be allowed to be removed at all, no discussion, no.

9054153801_0b28ef864e.jpg

I know the onboard service charge doesn't cover the staff in the Diamond lounge, but boy it's so good to have the lounge to yourself on the last night, have great conversation with the concierge and servers and be able to pass them all an envelope discretely, and not have to hear those guests clicking their fingers at the servers and demanding their free cocktails in loud voices. Mmm, perhaps these are the same as those who can't get to the MDR due to a previous engagement :)

Edited by peteukmcr

So RCCI are prepared to mislead their potential customers???? What about transparency? Is that not good business?

Someone has got to be the first to put this thing on the level. They will reap the rewards of all just leaders......

As an Australian I totally agree......but being the first one is so hard.

Charge everyone a reasonable price, make it all upfront, pay your staff a reasonable wage and then the only "tips" that need to be paid is if the service is extraordinary....

And it is a total myth that countries like Australia who have no tipping get worse service.......we get awesome service or **** service (same as anywhere) but anything above normal service you can choose to tip and that encourages awesome service.

People in Australia though can live on a basic wage, tips just make it better and encourage people to give better than average service.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Edited by jennyau