WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

Very wrong. I care very much which is why I comment and add to the discussion in a direct, sometimes provocative manner, where I feel such an approach to be appropriate.

I hate blind faith which is what some people seem to show towards their line.

I have only booked cruises with RCI but they are not perfect. If my comments get through and changes are made then great. If you have nothing constructive to say then don't say anything.

Oh..and your partial re quote of my original post was aimed at being provocative as it was deliberately and completely out of context!

Aww, really? :( I'm so sorry that you have misinterpreted my comments to think that you thought I was talking about you. :(

When someone quotes another person, you can click on the little arrow within the quote and be taken back to the post that was quoted. If you do that with my post from last night, you will see I quoted you as you responded to OP. See? You responded to him in the third post in this thread; I quoted you because I agreed with you.

I understand that sometimes things get a little confusing here, and our passion for something can get a little carried away. Yet another tipping thread from this member brought it out in me last night, and actually proves the point I made last night that OP live to provoke on these boards. It's pretty sad. And although one can put a member on "Ignore", their comments are still visible when they are quoted by someone else.

In what was a misunderstanding, I feel you were rude to me, but I forgive you and we'll move on. :)

Just pay the staff on the ship a proper living wage!

Not paying such a wage is degrading and inhumane.

Where I live (Australia) it is also not legal

If anyone is "stiffing" anyone its the cruise lines failing to pay its staff and expecting you as a customer to pay for its staff in addition to your cruise fare.

What I would like to see is a cruise fare that is structured to ensure all staff get paid a proper wage , the current "TIP" is no such thing , it is an on board semi mandatory service charge.

Its not an honest way to do things.

A cruise fare that honestly covers the true costs is what should be offered.

Best regards

John

John,

I totally agree with you, since when is a tip mandatory? A tip is anything for service above and beyond at the customers digression.

That said, I do tip very good for very good service.

If the cruise lines paid a decent wage to their people this business of tips would never arise.

Seems like the whole issue of tipping (and the huges debates that ensue on each thread) comes down to people trying to "keep up with the Jonses".

From what I've read, the problem seems to come in when some people say that they tip extra and someone feels the need to question it.

For example:

OP: Should I tip?

Poster 1: I do. I pay the auto tips and then I give a little extra.

Posters 2 & 3: We prefer to remove then and just pay cash.

Poster 4: I agree with Poster 1. Thats' what we do.

Poster 5: Why? Why tip more than what's required?

Um, because they want to, maybe?

If someone else tips extra, that's their prerrogative. That's what THEY choose to do. They can do it for whatever reason they choose (i.e., because they used to be waiters/waitresses, because they feel the staff gets shafted, because they've got money that is simply burning a hole in their pocket, because all that spare change is weighing their pants down, whatever).

They shouldn't have to justify it. Just like no one should have to justify only paying what's required. Or for removing them and paying cash.

It has no bearing on anyone else. Not doing it doesn't make anyone else look cheap. And it shouldn't make anyone else feel cheap or whatever.

AHOY SHIPMATES

I lead a very boring life when I'm not cruising so I spend a lot of

time surfing the threads ...overall pretty interesting.

In the NAVY we had a rule in the Wardroom. There were 3

Topics that were Taboo. Never discuss SEX RELIGION or POLITICS

I 'm beginning to think TIPPING might be part of the list here.

It comes up so often with all the same comments etc. Everyone

has the right to believe what they want ....and many good reasons

on both sides..based on past experiences, economic status, and

guliability

not meant to be critical of anyone it's a personal

decision.

Gary

AHOY SHIPMATES

I lead a very boring life when I'm not cruising so I spend a lot of

time surfing the threads ...overall pretty interesting.

In the NAVY we had a rule in the Wardroom. There were 3

Topics that were Taboo. Never discuss SEX RELIGION or POLITICS

I 'm beginning to think TIPPING might be part of the list here.

It comes up so often with all the same comments etc. Everyone

has the right to believe what they want ....and many good reasons

on both sides..based on past experiences, economic status, and

guliability

not meant to be critical of anyone it's a personal

decision.

Gary

YES! *hugs* LOL!!!!

I dont understand why cruisers blame other cruisers for the low wages paid to staff on cruise ships. It is quiet obviously the responsibility of the cruise line to pay staff appropriately. Failing this they pass the responsibility by way of tips to passengers. This is so they can keep their prices low and use an aggresive marketing approach with low cost cruising. To chaistise someone because of the belief that a tip is earned and not a right or that they are responsible to make up the shortfall in a crews wage is wrong.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Seems like the whole issue of tipping (and the huges debates that ensue on each thread) comes down to people trying to "keep up with the Jonses".

From what I've read, the problem seems to come in when some people say that they tip extra and someone feels the need to question it.

For example:

If someone else tips extra, that's their prerrogative. That's what THEY choose to do. They can do it for whatever reason they choose (i.e., because they used to be waiters/waitresses, because they feel the staff gets shafted, because they've got money that is simply burning a hole in their pocket, because all that spare change is weighing their pants down, whatever).

They shouldn't have to justify it. Just like no one should have to justify only paying what's required. Or for removing them and paying cash.

It has no bearing on anyone else. Not doing it doesn't make anyone else look cheap. And it shouldn't make anyone else feel cheap or whatever.

fb-like-button.jpg

I wonder who of those that acknowledge that the cruise line is not paying the staff fair would support them to go on strike.

The whole topic gets so heated because everyone knows that we profit from working conditions that are barely acceptable. Some compensate it through being generous others through blaming the cruise line. But in the end everyone of us is accepting the reality because we want to have a nice vacation and are a bit selfish.

we know! There is nothing you can do about it. It's none of your business anyway. I always tip extra......cultural differences. Can you wear shorts while you are stiffing staff in the mdr. Do you pay them in euros? Maybe there can be a public announcement of those who remove their tips from their sea pass. They shouldn't be allowed to cruise. We end up paying more. Oops that's none of my business. Choose another line cheapo! I believe the coffe is awful. I hate threads about threads.

Seriously.......what is the answer? There must be one!

huh???

Since prepaid gratuities were instituted, I find myself tipping FAR more than ever.

By the end of a cruise, if I've gotten good service, I feel bad not leaving something -- I have no idea who really gets what behind the scenes -- so I bring envelopes and hand a top-off to my steward, wait staff, and any bartenders or servers who befriended me.

On my last cruise, the last night, I added a modest gratuity to the last drink I ordered because that server had served me all week. I couldn't believe how her face totally LIT UP with pleasure when she saw it. It made me think she wasn't feeling the love with the prepaid tips.

Bottom line is I'm now tipping about double what they recommend. But I've grown pretty loyal to RCI and if I ever encounter those crew members again, I want them to remember me fondly. :D

I'm glad Royal changed this system. The old one was a pain in the backside.

As for tipping, I don't care what other people do.

That's my 5 cents worth on this topic.

(In Canada we don't have pennies anymore so my cheapest advice just went up to a nickel.):)

huh???

If you've not read many of the main issues recently it was probably gobbledeegook. I was trying to make a composite response early in the thread that would encompass the likely responses that would follow in a witty, prejudicial and synical way. All rolled into one ranty response.

These were the amounts just before March 2013:

$5.00pp per day for Housekeeping Staff ($7.25 if in a GS or above)

$3.75pp per day for Waiter

$2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter

$0.75pp per day for Head Waiter

Total: $11.65pp per day ($13.90pp per day if booked in a GS or above)

This past March, the total was raised $0.35 per day.

On rccl it's on their website

Suite attendant: $7.25 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: $5.00 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $0.75 USD a day per guest

I think it varies from cruise line to cruise line though

This is $11.65 per person a day not $12 who gets the 35 cents.

Average people on a cruise 3000

This is a $1000 a day

It is 7 million per year for the whole fleet.

Who gets it?

Why do tipping posts get so ugly.Since we don't know who is telling the truth about how they tip, what is the use of going over and over the same nastiness.Personally,we give our cabin steward $500,00.00 and our waiters $50,000.00 each.

Quick, where can I send you an application for a personal waitress/cabin stewrdess/secretary/assistant? :D

STRIKE! Surley you jest. The non American/Britt/Aussie that work on ship are in pure delight. You really dont want to know just how much they make. When our Daughter worked on the CD staff on RCCL 10 years ago, I got her checks that she sent home to put in the bank, hourly aint all she got paid.

They hated pre-paid, auto pay tips, whatever you want to call it. We asked our waiter & room steward on Princess last yr. They both said the company will sit on their $$ up to 4 weeks, sometime longer, when it is charged on the cabin account, gotta wait for the check to clear:D

Edited by wallie5446

For example:

But you are overlooking one important fact and that is that some people are not happy if they don't have their noses in everyone else's business. Unless someone infringes on my or my family's enjoyment of a cruise I really could not care much what anyone else does on the ship.

Just pay the staff on the ship a proper living wage!

Not paying such a wage is degrading and inhumane.

Where I live (Australia) it is also not legal

Best regards

John

I have worked as a tipped employee and as a salaried one.

I made far, far more when I worked minimum wage and was tipped. It is nice to be paid according to how hard you work and how well you treat people vs what the going salary rate is.

jmo :) When you are a tipped employee, you get what you give...kinda like life in general. :) Nothing degrading or inhumane about it.

Edited by halos

Since prepaid gratuities were instituted, I find myself tipping FAR more than ever.

By the end of a cruise, if I've gotten good service, I feel bad not leaving something -- I have no idea who really gets what behind the scenes -- so I bring envelopes and hand a top-off to my steward, wait staff, and any bartenders or servers who befriended me.

On my last cruise, the last night, I added a modest gratuity to the last drink I ordered because that server had served me all week. I couldn't believe how her face totally LIT UP with pleasure when she saw it. It made me think she wasn't feeling the love with the prepaid tips.

Bottom line is I'm now tipping about double what they recommend. But I've grown pretty loyal to RCI and if I ever encounter those crew members again, I want them to remember me fondly. :D

I wish I was as well off as you :-)

Edited by ticktoneer

I have had people tell me on another cruise line that they always do this. The crew works so hard for so many days in a row, so many hours a day.

Passing a ten dollar bill to a few does not make up for the loss.

The service charge is a large part of the person's compensation and those who do this are robbing someone who works very hard for not a lot of money.

I could not enjoy myself knowing I was taking away from someone else.

I have had people tell me on another cruise line that they always do this. The crew works so hard for so many days in a row, so many hours a day.

Passing a ten dollar bill to a few does not make up for the loss.

The service charge is a large part of the person's compensation and those who do this are robbing someone who works very hard for not a lot of money.

I could not enjoy myself knowing I was taking away from someone else.

What service charge?

Confused, why remove the grats to give back extra to the staff?

surely leaving the pre paid and giving a few extra bucks would be the same?

Especially as they are supposed to declare these cash tips up to the minimum rate.

This unfortunately (does not apply to you) is the must heard at reception.

j

We just preferred to hand the people who had served us their tip whether it be the recommended amount or extra. It never struck me people might think I was going to cheat the staff! Now I know I'm probably being judged (wrongly) by the GS staff I will just leave the pre paid gratuities on the account.

Why jump to the conclusion that everyone who has pre paid gratuities removed does it to avoid paying any tips? We had ours removed from our Sea Pass on our recent cruise because we preferred to give the cash directly to the crew members who had served us personally. They got the recommended tips plus a little extra.

Add me to that list too!!!:D