WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

The reality is that it's the comment cards that really encourage excellence. The ones with the abundance of best comments rise to the top. I've watched it happen many times over the years in many different areas. I'm sure others have, too.

I've decided after reading this thread that in the future when we aren't doing MTD that I will have all gratuities removed from our account and tip the old fashioned way like we used to. Cash! I want all of what we tip to go directly in their pocket. We don't even hand it to the stateroom attendant but leave it in an envelope on the bed.

It won't go directly to their pocket. It will be pooled. That is how it works when gratuities are automatically deducted. And the workers will turn in the cash to the pool. They will be in trouble if they were caught not turning the cash in, and they will be caught. Also there is a formula that they used before that they assume 80 per cent of those paying cash left a tip. And they deduct it from the worker. So for example if only 50 per cent of those who pay cash tip then the worker gets screwed that way. They make up the difference.

Why not just raise prices and pay the staff decent wages instead of relying on all the prepaid gratuities that most pay any way?

I know many, myself included usually adds a little to that any way for those that go above and beyond... Which would now be true tips, not what's now basically expected for doing their job.

We have booked a cruise on Indy for May 2014. We have pre paid our tips so don't have to worry about it while on board. But why we last cruised we payed cash on board to the people we thought deserved tipping. Either or we feel everyone should tip the hard working staff who work hard on cruise ships.

Just pay the staff on the ship a proper living wage!

Not paying such a wage is degrading and inhumane.

Where I live (Australia) it is also not legal

If anyone is "stiffing" anyone its the cruise lines failing to pay its staff and expecting you as a customer to pay for its staff in addition to your cruise fare.

What I would like to see is a cruise fare that is structured to ensure all staff get paid a proper wage , the current "TIP" is no such thing , it is an on board semi mandatory service charge.

Its not an honest way to do things.

A cruise fare that honestly covers the true costs is what should be offered.

Best regards

John

Dear John, there is such a cruise line. It is called Seabourn. And if you are interested in a cruise that includes tips, etc. Check them out and see for yourself what the "true" cost is.

K

For those that tip for excellent above expected service.

What does for example a cabin steward or dining room waiter do for you to deserve that. Perhaps I am just to low maintenance but in my room I need the bathroom cleaned, bed done and towels exchanged and in the dining room I order a drink and a meal from the menu. No extra wishes, no special diet.

Hard to do anything for me that I would recognize as walking the extra mile.

For those that tip for excellent above expected service.

What does for example a cabin steward or dining room waiter do for you to deserve that. Perhaps I am just to low maintenance but in my room I need the bathroom cleaned, bed done and towels exchanged and in the dining room I order a drink and a meal from the menu. No extra wishes, no special diet.

Hard to do anything for me that I would recognize as walking the extra mile.

I agree with you in general. I can give you an example though. One time my tuxedo cummerbund clasp came apart from the cummerbund. I asked the steward if they had any kind of service that could sew it back on. He said he would see what he could do. A few hours later it was in my cabin fixed. You bet I left an extra tip.

On our last cruise on Independence of the Seas, our waiter stated that RCI paid less than British cruise companies that he had worked on because they expect that Americans will tip higher than the English. I think that he was worried that as this cruise left from UK with mostly British passengers, he may receive less tips.

Also, when the ship is being refitted, the crew miss out on their tips & work harder with other jobs.

Maybe the system adopted by P&O & Princess in Australia of including tips in the ticket price is fairer.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but on a recent Indy Cruise where we had Auto Tips removed(we still paid in full +extra), we were left 3 envelopes for our Grats, they were listed as Room Attendant $3.50-Other Housekeeping $1.60- Restaurant Staff $6.20, the Room Attendants was to be left in Cabin/handed to her, the other 2 to be dropped in the Box at Guest Relations, wonder how that would pan out. Needless to say we handed our excellent staff their full Grats in seperate Envelopes with a little extra.

Edited by TOM CRUIZES

On our last cruise on Independence of the Seas, our waiter stated that RCI paid less than British cruise companies that he had worked on because they expect that Americans will tip higher than the English. I think that he was worried that as this cruise left from UK with mostly British passengers, he may receive less tips.

Also, when the ship is being refitted, the crew miss out on their tips & work harder with other jobs.

Maybe the system adopted by P&O & Princess in Australia of including tips in the ticket price is fairer.

That is a whole new spin that I have never read on these boards before. Next we will be reading about how everyone should be tipping extra to make up for lost income during the times that the ships are out of service.

Edited by Ocean Boy

That is a whole new spin that I have never read on these boards before. Next we will be reading about how everyone should be tipping extra to make up for lost income during the times that the ships are out of service.

OMG this does get better and better.

I think some people on CC should get together and start doing good deeds and give out money to as many people as they can find that are out of work!!

I'll say it again-where the heck were all you people when I was a waitress.:confused: We would all come in early fill up salt, pepper, fancy fold all those napkins, get our silverwear ready, put bread in the warmers............ I could go on......Never once did anyone from someone elses section come over and hand me money because my table was empty and I was making no tips at that table. Thanking me for helping with the bread and salt and stuff like that. Tips were not pooled. We would tip out those who made it easy but I did that. Not my boss.

We know! There is nothing you can do about it. It's none of your business anyway. I always tip extra......cultural differences. Can you wear shorts while you are stiffing staff in the MDR. Do you pay them in euros? Maybe there can be a public announcement of those who remove their tips from their sea pass. They shouldn't be allowed to cruise. We end up paying more. Oops that's none of MY business. Choose another line cheapo! I believe the coffe is awful. I hate threads about threads.

Seriously.......what is the answer? There must be one!

What the....??

Bottom line, when they add it to your account automatically, it ceases to be a tip IMO. How do we know where it goes or if it goes to the right people and in the right amounts? I'll probably have mine removed also and hand out cash to be sure.

tip (tibreve.gifp)

n.1. A small sum of money given to someone for performing a service; a gratuity.

I'm with you on that MUG

I don't like the idea of £48.00 appearing on my Seapass Account daily....its not the money because I happily pay. Its the daily drip feed which will annoy me.

I am not sure how I will handle it. There are some really interesting points of view on here already. Good reading!

I am leaning towards prepaying. But I might also remove and cash tip.......its more personal and I think that the money will find its way directly to the staff.

I see 80% formulas being mentioned and pooling and RCI making up differences. I am not sure what to believe.

I would really prefer to pay a cruise price that included a Service Charge of 80% or about £10 per day.

I would then be happy to tip in the true meaning of the word.....for excellent service!

I dont have a problem with the Auto gratuities on drinks......going forward.....but maybe at 10% it would be better. There are noticeable differences between bar staff and drinks waiters. I would be happier paying 10% for the delivery of the drink......with extra for the smile and banter that usually comes with it.....but not always. I rarely add on extra to the 15% as that is well enough already.........but might round up generously for great service.

Just a few thoughts having read the posts!

Bottom line, when they add it to your account automatically, it ceases to be a tip IMO. How do we know where it goes or if it goes to the right people and in the right amounts? I'll probably have mine removed also and hand out cash to be sure.

tip (tibreve.gifp)

n.1. A small sum of money given to someone for performing a service; a gratuity.

Before the automatic gratuities they were redistributing the tips too. Even when it was cash they had a formula from which they deducted an amount from the crew members pay based on what the cruise line expected the crew to receive in cash and gave it to other crew members. That was what the crew member in the screw the crew video was complaining about. Whatever system, the old pay with cash, prepaid gratuities, automatic deduction from account or if they go to a service charge that can't be changed, the crew is going to get screwed. Probably of all the gratuity schemes a service charge is the lessor evil.

OMG this does get better and better.

I think some people on CC should get together and start doing good deeds and give out money to as many people as they can find that are out of work!!

I'll say it again-where the heck were all you people when I was a waitress.:confused: We would all come in early fill up salt, pepper, fancy fold all those napkins, get our silverwear ready, put bread in the warmers............ I could go on......Never once did anyone from someone elses section come over and hand me money because my table was empty and I was making no tips at that table. Thanking me for helping with the bread and salt and stuff like that. Tips were not pooled. We would tip out those who made it easy but I did that. Not my boss.

That was because you are not from a foreign country.Americans "do gooders" only feel guilty if you are not a citizen of the U.S A.

There are a couple of selfish reasons I like having them charge me for the gratuities.

1. It goes on my Visa so I get frequent flyer miles. I wouldn't with cash.

2. I don't always have enough cash at the end of the journey. I know there is an ATM and I sometimes use it, but being able to charge it to my account is really convenient.

The fact that you can change the default and choose not to have the tips paid (except in the MTD scenario) means they are technically optional still.

The paradigm does have some benefits (except for MTD where it's really a service fee). Even if MTD were optional I'd still have it added to my account so I've just learned to get over the semantics. We pay anything extra in cash because, so far as I know, there isn't a mechanism to get vouchers using your account. If I could I would (see #1 above).

Tom

I'm with you on that MUG

I don't like the idea of £48.00 appearing on my Seapass Account daily....its not the money because I happily pay. Its the daily drip feed which will annoy me.

I am not sure how I will handle it. There are some really interesting points of view on here already. Good reading!

I am leaning towards prepaying. But I might also remove and cash tip.......its more personal and I think that the money will find its way directly to the staff.

I see 80% formulas being mentioned and pooling and RCI making up differences. I am not sure what to believe.

I would really prefer to pay a cruise price that included a Service Charge of 80% or about £10 per day.

I would then be happy to tip in the true meaning of the word.....for excellent service!

I dont have a problem with the Auto gratuities on drinks......going forward.....but maybe at 10% it would be better. There are noticeable differences between bar staff and drinks waiters. I would be happier paying 10% for the delivery of the drink......with extra for the smile and banter that usually comes with it.....but not always. I rarely add on extra to the 15% as that is well enough already.........but might round up generously for great service.

Just a few thoughts having read the posts!

I agree with you in general. I can give you an example though. One time my tuxedo cummerbund clasp came apart from the cummerbund. I asked the steward if they had any kind of service that could sew it back on. He said he would see what he could do. A few hours later it was in my cabin fixed. You bet I left an extra tip.

The point you raise would be worthy of a tip.

We always tip cash for anything above and beyond.

My DD has a ice vest she has to have frozen and taken when we go off ship. The room steward has to take it and make a special trip to bring it back. We give them a tip the first time we ask for it to be done and it always is with a smile.

Some people have only foreign credit cards and they will get hammered on exchange rates, so they prefer to tip in cash. I prefer to give cash for this reason, since I can get much better exchange rates at home.

If you pay with a credit card you get the best exchange rate.

Edited by Charles4515

I would like to see the daily tips become non-removable!! Then those who are cheap will either have to pay the tips or not cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Me too! We always prepay our tips and then add extra at the end of the cruise. No difference than going out to dinner and tipping at the end of our meal.