WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

the new 18% auto gratuity on bar purchases really chaps my ass and makes me purchase less drinks as a direct result of this, as well as huge drink prices!!

Really, 40 cents is a big deal. :rolleyes:

I guess you never know what pushs some folks buttons

Once again, a zombie thread, or a Lazarus thread, comes back to life. I wish Cruise Critic had a way to lock threads after a certain period of time without a response.

I think you might be the zombie, just zombieing around the forum and posting in them also.

How are you planning on tipping the laundry workers? Tip envelopes always seem like more work to me... to have to run around tipping all the behind the scenes people who contribute to my fabulous cruise makes me tired just thinking about it!

I don't plan on tipping everyone just those that I feel have done that little bit extra to make my cruise special, I always thought that was what tipping was meant for, rewarding that little bit extra effort. I know all the arguments about the behind the sense workers but that's why I think all cruise lines need to change how they pay their staff, I don't want to feel forced to tip cos of low wages

I do ask when you buy a cheap clothing item in your local shop do you tip the low paid worker that made it in China or Korea? Or do you tip the person who sold it to you at the store?

Again different countries have very different cultures on tipping.

This trip the auto gratuities are well over $800 so I will be removing them and tipping those that have given us good service.

So maybe $20 for your stateroom attendant... $25 for your waiter and $15 for your assistant waiter?

Seriously, what would you tip for average service for 3 1/2 weeks of cruising? You seem to indicate you would give NOTHING for typical, average service.

Edited by yogimax

So maybe $20 for your stateroom attendant... $25 for your waiter and $15 for your assistant waiter?

Seriously, what would you tip for average service for 3 1/2 weeks of cruising? You seem to indicate you would give NOTHING for typical, average service.

In our country we wouldn't, because people are paid really well.

When cruising I recognize that's not the case so I pay the auto tips and some additional. I disagree with Naomigruis - the length of the cruise should not come into it.

I don't plan on tipping everyone just those that I feel have done that little bit extra to make my cruise special, I always thought that was what tipping was meant for, rewarding that little bit extra effort. I know all the arguments about the behind the sense workers but that's why I think all cruise lines need to change how they pay their staff, I don't want to feel forced to tip cos of low wages

I do ask when you buy a cheap clothing item in your local shop do you tip the low paid worker that made it in China or Korea? Or do you tip the person who sold it to you at the store?

Again different countries have very different cultures on tipping.

If they changed their wage practices you would still be paying it, just by higher cruise fares rather than tips. Customers of every business pay the staff's wages, the cost is built into purchasing the product or service.

If they changed their wage practices you would still be paying it, just by higher cruise fares rather than tips. Customers of every business pay the staff's wages, the cost is built into purchasing the product or service.

That's my point. Why should I feel guilted into paying more after the cost of the product or service is paid. I am happy to pay the cost of the service or product set by a business, in this case the cruise by RCL, but why do I need to feel obligated to pay extra. I don't feel this obligation when buying clothes or a new fridge.

I am in no way cheap, I can afford it, this is not my point my point is I'm not a fan of being told who how and when to tip, something that is meant to reward extra service not a reward for just doing their job, that us what wages are for.

Again I know wages are low but so is the wages of the person that made my shoes and I don't have to send them a extra $12.95.

I'm sure many will disagree but likewise there are those that agree. I think it comes back to the US vs the rest of the world culture on tipping.

At no point did I say this is what I would tip, just that I would do it myself.

You tip your way I will mine. I just pointed out that the cost on a longer cruise is much higher so I have become more interested in where the money goes and why.

I just want to choice of what I tip, to who and why.

Agreed, the fact you got a bargain (or not) cruise price doesn't affect that tipping is done separately and the price is based on not including wages.

I prefer the concept of the employer directly paying the wages rather than the customer, but that's just how this model is and because I paid a lower cruise fare because the employer hasn't paid all wages doesn't mean I get to rip off the staff serving me.

Agreed, the fact you got a bargain (or not) cruise price doesn't affect that tipping is done separately and the price is based on not including wages.

I prefer the concept of the employer directly paying the wages rather than the customer, but that's just how this model is and because I paid a lower cruise fare because the employer hasn't paid all wages doesn't mean I get to rip off the staff serving me.

Totally right guys.

The total cost of a cruise is the stated fare, taxes/port fees and gratuities. This is the price of the cruise. If it is greater than your budget, don't go! Simple.

Saying that we have a different tipping culture in Australia is a crap excuse for being cheap and trying to save a few dollars. Those that do should be ashamed of themselves.

Totally right guys.

The total cost of a cruise is the stated fare, taxes/port fees and gratuities. This is the price of the cruise. If it is greater than your budget, don't go! Simple.

Saying that we have a different tipping culture in Australia is a crap excuse for being cheap and trying to save a few dollars. Those that do should be ashamed of themselves.

Nice way to be none judgmental and understanding of someone else's point of view.

Don't expect you to agree with me but expect better than a character attack. Will it make you feel better if I go stand in the corner???

I am not cheap just don't like how this whole tipping thing is done. What can I say I'm just someone with a different view on this subject than you.

Edited by Naomigruis

Nice way to be none judgmental and understanding of someone else's point of view.

Don't expect you to agree with me but expect better than a character attack. Will it make you feel better if I go stand in the corner???

I am not cheap just don't like how this whole tipping thing is done. What can I say I'm just someone with a different view on this subject than you.

Sorry that you feel that way.:(

I have been at GS when other people remove their gratuities, seen them avoid the dining room on the last night and dodge their stateroom attendant on disembarkation day. It stinks.

Stopping thinking of it as being optional and just factor it as part of the cruise cost and you will feel much better about it in the long run.

Traveling gives you a chance to embrace differences in the places, people and experiences you find.

This is just another difference from home and tipping should not be optional.

Totally right guys.

Completely agree. It's literally people's livelihoods we're talking about.

I don't think it's wrong to disagree with a tipping business model. I do think it's wrong to know that, participate in that model anyway, but not pay the tips.

That's my point. Why should I feel guilted into paying more after the cost of the product or service is paid. I am happy to pay the cost of the service or product set by a business, in this case the cruise by RCL, but why do I need to feel obligated to pay extra. I don't feel this obligation when buying clothes or a new fridge.

The most obvious answer is because you know the cost/wage model of the clothes or fridge doesn't include gratuities. Conversely, you know the cost/wage model of a cruise does include gratuities. Just like if you were traveling in the U.S.

So you can disagree with it all you like. Only the staff get hurt by your choice, not the company. If you really do disagree you shouldn't participate in the industry.

Edited by BekkaW

The most obvious answer is because you know the cost/wage model of the clothes or fridge doesn't include gratuities. Conversely, you know the cost/wage model of a cruise does include gratuities. Just like if you were traveling in the U.S.

So you can disagree with it all you like. Only the staff get hurt by your choice, not the company. If you really do disagree you shouldn't participate in the industry.

Good points Bekka.

Naomi you have cruised out of the States so you know that their service based industry relies on gratuities for survival as wages are extremely low. The same goes for cruise lines that employ hotel staff under similar contract conditions, even if they are operating on this side of the world.

These people work constantly for 6+ months, away from their family and loved ones. They deserve the money they earn including the gratuities.

Please don't remove them just because you can. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. It isn't right.

Australians all believe that everyone deserves a fair go. It is what makes Oz great. Let them.

Let it go and move on.

We know! There is nothing you can do about it. It's none of your business anyway. I always tip extra......cultural differences. Can you wear shorts while you are stiffing staff in the MDR. Do you pay them in euros? Maybe there can be a public announcement of those who remove their tips from their sea pass. They shouldn't be allowed to cruise. We end up paying more. Oops that's none of MY business. Choose another line cheapo! I believe the coffe is awful. I hate threads about threads.

Seriously.......what is the answer? There must be one!

Simple solution is to stop tipping altogether. Add the tips into the cost of the cruise so everyone pays.

I have not gone through this entire thread....but I will just say this

some people still want to hand deliver their gratuities and don't "trust" the system. Yes of those 400 some will not...but maybe some will....either way none of anyone's business. Its a personal choice!

For the record we love the prepaid gratuities. I will however say that over the years of cruising since this went into place I have seen a decline in customer service....this is a relative comparison.

I know tipping is important.. especially when I was a waitress.

In Florida some counties are doing a new thing... charging more for the food to give the servers more money and make tips optional...

Do I like that idea.... don't know will the service go down knowing that they are already getting their tips???

Cruising can be a hit or miss... most times we have awesome service from top to bottom.. then there is the times were they just don't care and think oh well.. I still will get my tips.

Really do like the days when you gave them yourselves... back then the services were better.

Just my thought

Don't forget to tell your cabin attendant and servers that at the beginning of the cruise. Of course they will know that you have removed the tips since they get a list.

I don't like the way it is done but I am not going to stiff the crew because of that. I leave the gratuities on.

Given the increase in cruises in areas that don't have the US tipping culture and don't comprehend the way these workers are compensated I expect it will end up changing to a mandatory service charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I know tipping is important.. especially when I was a waitress.

In Florida some counties are doing a new thing... charging more for the food to give the servers more money and make tips optional...

Do I like that idea.... don't know will the service go down knowing that they are already getting their tips???

Cruising can be a hit or miss... most times we have awesome service from top to bottom.. then there is the times were they just don't care and think oh well.. I still will get my tips.

Really do like the days when you gave them yourselves... back then the services were better.

Just my thought

This is happening elsewhere. But they are saying no tips. It is happening because the restaurants are having a hard time hiring cooks and other staff because their compensation has become so low compared to the servers.

As for service I have been to many countries that don't have tipping, they compensate their workers decently and the service is the same as in the US.

Studies of tipping show that the tips received tend to be not based on service but on other factors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simple solution is to stop tipping altogether. Add the tips into the cost of the cruise so everyone pays.

This makes sense, but doesn't occur for the simple reason that cruise lines compete on price. now that the Internet has made it easy to compare prices, a cruiseline that charges $100-$200 more for the same cruise will not get bookings. It's easier, if somewhat dishonest, for the cruiseline to advertise the lowest prices possible then charge to passenger as many other fees as they can get away with.

so this will only happen if all the lines adopt the same policy.

This trip the auto gratuities are well over $800 so I will be removing them and tipping those that have given us good service. On a longer cruise like this we will most likely get to know the staff well.

This way I know that the money is going to those that I think deserve it the most which I believe is what tipping is all about.

But you will be depriving the laundry staff of their portion of the tips. That's very unfair of you, especially over such a long period of time -- if it's just a weeklong cruise that you stiff them over, hopefully the following weeks' guests will do what is right and pay properly, but on a long cruise, that's week after week after week that the laundry staff don't earn money for providing you with clean sheets and towels.

But I guess since you don't ever see them, you won't get to know them, so I guess you don't care if you screw them over for almost a month's worth of wages, just because you don't like the culture of another country. :rolleyes:

To me this has always felt like a not so 'hidden' cost and I would much prefer to just pay one amount for a cruise and tip exra if I feel it's warranted not feel guilted into it by low wages.

I call BS on this statement... by having auto-grats and by allowing you to prepay them up front before you even step foot on the ship, that's EXACTLY what you can do. Incorporate your $800 into the cost of your cruise up front -- pay your grats before you go. Then it's just one amount for the cruise and you feel no guilt whatsoever.

But no, you'd rather screw the behind-the-scenes staff so you can be in charge of every penny yourself and dole it out every day.

Sorry that you feel that way.:(

I have been at GS when other people remove their gratuities, seen them avoid the dining room on the last night and dodge their stateroom attendant on disembarkation day. It stinks.

Stopping thinking of it as being optional and just factor it as part of the cruise cost and you will feel much better about it in the long run.

Traveling gives you a chance to embrace differences in the places, people and experiences you find.

This is just another difference from home and tipping should not be optional.

But it is optional, from the amount to the method.

This would solve the issue if the cruise line wanted to make these changes. Until it happens people can and will do what they want.

If the tips were included as part of the cruise fare I suspect that most Americans would continue to tip as tipping is so ingrained in our culture and soon the cruise line employees would expect the extra tips. Tipping that is not optional is not tipping!

Don't know for sure but I would be surprised if the suggested tipping amount doesn't factor in the non-tipping passengers. I doubt that cruise line employees would favor a no tipping environment where cruise fares were increased to raise their wages. There are probably enough of us generous tippers that more than compensate for those who have their tips removed.

Edited by Don Pedro