Early Check-in at Miami Intercontinental

WendyVF

I read a review recently that someone had problems checking in early at the Miami Intercontinental. They would allow it but wanted to charge an extra night for them to do so. The poster did not say what time they were trying to check in.

Our flight will be arriving at 9:45 so I figure we'll be getting to the hotel before 11. I'm fine with waiting if there are no rooms ready, but don't want to pay extra to check in if our room is ready. We'll be up really early that morning so will want to relax a bit if possible.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi,

This is something that I am wondering myself since I will be flying in the same time as you and staying at the same hotel :) I am hoping that since I am flying in on Sunday perhaps there won't be as many people checking in, BUT I have a feeling there will be a wait just due to all the people that check out on Sundays.

Caro

Last August we flew in early on a Sunday and arrived at the IC Downtown a little after 11am. They had rooms available and checked us in early with no additional charge. We were prepared to leave our bags and come back later but they were very accomodating. :)

It's possible to have a similar experience but if the rooms aren't ready I would see about them holding the bags for a few hours.

Good luck!

Last August we flew in early on a Sunday and arrived at the IC Downtown a little after 11am. They had rooms available and checked us in early with no additional charge. We were prepared to leave our bags and come back later but they were very accomodating. :)

It's possible to have a similar experience but if the rooms aren't ready I would see about them holding the bags for a few hours.

Good luck!

No such luck with me. We arrived about 10:30am. They wanted $100.00 for both rooms to check in early:eek:. So we waited in the lobby till about 2:30pm:eek:.

No such luck with me. We arrived about 10:30am. They wanted $100.00 for both rooms to check in early:eek:. So we waited in the lobby till about 2:30pm:eek:.
They were trying to scam you.

For anyone who arrives at the Intercontinental in Miami, if they try and charge you $100 to check in early, pick up the phone and IMMEDIATELY call the 800 customer service number.

This practice is NOT industry standard.

Miami will rob you blind any way they can.

If your room is ready, they will check you in early.

FWIW, when you pre pay for your room or make the reservation, you enter into a rental agreement with the hotel for that exact amount for the room exclusive of taxes.

Thanks for all the replies. We'll be there at the end of December so wasn't sure how nice hanging out around the pool would be. We'll be checking in on a Friday so hopefully they won't be booked solid the night prior.

They were trying to scam you.

For anyone who arrives at the Intercontinental in Miami, if they try and charge you $100 to check in early, pick up the phone and IMMEDIATELY call the 800 customer service number.

This practice is NOT industry standard.

Miami will rob you blind any way they can.

If your room is ready, they will check you in early.

FWIW, when you pre pay for your room or make the reservation, you enter into a rental agreement with the hotel for that exact amount for the room exclusive of taxes.

This has been every year for the last five years. We would have 2 rooms the day before and after cruise and they want $100.00 each for early check in. So we would always have to sit in tha lobby from four or five hour and the day after cruise we would have to sit in the lobby from 9:00am till 3:00pm. Also if you get caught napping in the lobby they will ask you to leave or tell you to stay awake:eek:.

Nasty practice but it is not limited to Miami or any one city. Same thing with us in Barcelona; we arrived earlier than check-in time and what do you know our room wasn't ready but for an additional x dollars we could upgrade to a junior suite which was ready, and pay the difference. Duh, we took it, we were exhausted. I almost hate myself. :(

This has been every year for the last five years. We would have 2 rooms the day before and after cruise and they want $100.00 each for early check in. So we would always have to sit in tha lobby from four or five hour and the day after cruise we would have to sit in the lobby from 9:00am till 3:00pm. Also if you get caught napping in the lobby they will ask you to leave or tell you to stay awake:eek:.

Again, they are scamming you. This is extremely unethical.

So we would always have to sit in tha lobby from four or five hour and the day after cruise we would have to sit in the lobby from 9:00am till 3:00pm. .

Sorry but why would anyone do this? You can easily rent a car, take a tour, go sight-seeing, shopping, have a nice meal somewhere, go to the beach... they will hold your luggage. You cannot possibly sit in a hotel lobby for 6 hours. Well, we wouldn't. :(

It is certainly the right of the hotel to charge more if someone wants a room very early. The only thing the hotel guarantee is that the room will be ready by x hour. My guess is that they are getting flooded with requests each and everyday. I am not defending this but it is their prerogative.

I use another hotel and my experience is that nine times out of ten I do have to wait until 3:00 PM for check in.

I never count on an early check in wherever we go.

In our case, we have them hold our luggage but we don't leave the hotel because of our carry ons which have valuables in them. If we had a rental car that would be different. So we sit in the lobby waiting for the room and if it is going to be awhile we have lunch. Again, we use another hotel but we are very familiar with this property. They certainly are very busy with cruisers.

So, when you arrive to this hotel if a room is ready that is great. If a room is ready very early and they want to charge you $100.00 that is a personal decision as to whether or not you want to pay it.

If I was running this hotel and wanted to do this I would note on the web site at the time of reservation that rooms are not guaranteed to be ready by x time (which they do already) and should a room be ready by y time there would be a charge of $100.00. That way it would be stated up front.

Keith

That's terrible ! After it happening once, why did you stay at that hotel again when there are so many hotels in Miami ??

That's terrible ! After it happening once, why did you stay at that hotel again when there are so many hotels in Miami ??

Great location and a very great rate. So we sit in tha lobby and wait but no pay for early check in.

Great location and a very great rate. So we sit in tha lobby and wait but no pay for early check in.

Why sit and wait? :confused: Why not go and get lunch or a drink and come back in an hour or two? They will watch your bags while you go to eat/drink. ;)

Do they at least let you use the pool facilities? I wouldn't mind waiting if I were allowed to sit by the pool :)

Do they at least let you use the pool facilities? I wouldn't mind waiting if I were allowed to sit by the pool :)

We never thought of that

I would actually be suspicious if the front desk clerk did not suggest this to me. Sadly, everything you've said about this hotel screams "Go away!!". That is contrary to the good reviews they seem to get here on this forum. Not sure what to think... :confused:

I am also confused and a bit concerned. I travel for my job so I have stayed at many hotels. Not one has EVER asked me to pay a fee to check in early, and most if not all have always offered to keep my bags for me while I wait for my room. As a matter of fact, most have suggested places to eat, shop etc. while I wait and if appropriate suggested I use their pool area.

Not sure what to do about my reservation at this hotel now.

Caro

I would actually be suspicious if the front desk clerk did not suggest this to me. Sadly, everything you've said about this hotel screams "Go away!!". That is contrary to the good reviews they seem to get here on this forum. Not sure what to think... :confused:

I am also confused and a bit concerned. I travel for my job so I have stayed at many hotels. Not one has EVER asked me to pay a fee to check in early, and most if not all have always offered to keep my bags for me while I wait for my room. As a matter of fact, most have suggested places to eat, shop etc. while I wait and if appropriate suggested I use their pool area.

Not sure what to do about my reservation at this hotel now.

Caro

In the hotel's defense, checking in early when I am travelling for business often means noon or 1:00 PM instead of the standard 3:00-4:00 PM -- I suspect lots of cruisers (but surely not any who are on these boards :rolleyes:), get off their ship at POM about 8:00 AM or earlier and would like to check into their rooms 7-8 hours early. I can also understand the hotel being upset at cruisers waiting in the lobby for their rooms who choose to stretch out for a nap -- not the upscale image I want to see when I enter a hotel.

I would not worry - this hotel has been popular with cruisers on these boards for years. :cool: If you room is not ready when you arrive ask them to store your bags and head out for a bite to eat or a drink and return later.

Good luck! :)

^ Yes, I completely agree with John and Keith. Some travellers, ourselves included, want to try and check in very early, and many times, the room just simply isn't read especially if check-out is 11 or noon. If we can get in early, fabulous. If not, we are not entitled to do so.

caro1998, I am sorry if I scared you with my comments a few posts back. As John said, Intercontinental is a popular pre-cruise hotel and honestly, I have not read one bad word about them until bigsmooth's comments in this thread. We had friends from England who stayed there pre-cruise and they LOVED it. Keep your reservation. :)

Didn't mean to stir anything up...we have stayed their previously and had a fabulous experience so I was concerned when I had seen these comments. Rooms not being ready and charging you for early check in are 2 separate issues. You always take your chances that a room will be ready, even at the designated check in time.

Guess we'll pack bathing suits and Florida attire in our carry ons. Hopefully it will be a nice day and we can hang out by the pool or visit Bayside. Will it still be pool weather at the end of December?

Archived