Southbound Millennium Cruise and Excursions Photo Review

Aquahound

Hello-first thanks for the great review! We will also be on the Millie with the same itinerary in just a couple of weeks. Several in our group have inside cabins and we only have a ocean view room. For the cruising days to Hubbard glacier and the inside passage, how do you recommend seeing the scenery? Do we need to hang out on deck or in a lounge with windows for 12 straight hours? Are there certain things to make sure not miss seeing (ie you mentioned "we entered the inside passage")? Thanks for any advice! Just want to make sure to wake up my teens and pull my 11 year old from kids camp if the XYZ sight isn't to be missed. I just called again yesterday - several balcony rooms left - but $1500 to upgrade the 2 of us - hard to do with 2 in college...

Great review and photos! Hoping to go in a year or two. One question, was booking you pre cruise tour less expensive than thru the ship or did you just want the flexibility?

Thanks

Vicky

Great review and photos! Hoping to go in a year or two. One question, was booking you pre cruise tour less expensive than thru the ship or did you just want the flexibility?

Thanks

Vicky

DH and I booked our pre cruise activities on our own for a few reasons; 1) none of the cruisetour itineraries exactly fit with what we wanted to do and see, 2) the flexibility to stop when we wanted and the amount of time we spent within the confines of our reservations, 3) we prefer to travel in smaller groups which is why we rarely book port excursions thru the ship, 4) the flexibility of method of travel, we rented a car for our round trip from Anchorage to Denali portion and then domecar train to Seward. Cost wise, our DIY was less expensive than the most comparable cruisetour even including all of our prebooked tours which included a longer trip into Denali, Husky Homestead Tour, a glacier landing flight, and a 7 1/2 hr Kenai Fjords cruise and the Sea Life Center.

Hello-first thanks for the great review! We will also be on the Millie with the same itinerary in just a couple of weeks. Several in our group have inside cabins and we only have a ocean view room. For the cruising days to Hubbard glacier and the inside passage, how do you recommend seeing the scenery? Do we need to hang out on deck or in a lounge with windows for 12 straight hours? Are there certain things to make sure not miss seeing (ie you mentioned "we entered the inside passage")? Thanks for any advice! Just want to make sure to wake up my teens and pull my 11 year old from kids camp if the XYZ sight isn't to be missed. I just called again yesterday - several balcony rooms left - but $1500 to upgrade the 2 of us - hard to do with 2 in college...

They let you up to the bow helipad at Hubbard. That's where we stood and it was great, especially if you sail through an ice flow. The only drawback was, it was cold. If you go up top, the glass windows block the wind and it isn't as cold. They do pass out blankets though. A word of advice, there's no need to rush to a spot. Hubbard Glacier is so big, when you are 12-15 miles away from it on a clear day, it looks like you are going to be near it soon when in fact, you still have a couple hours. One thing, do go outside though, not inside. That way, you'll see the wildlife.

The Inside Passage isn't all that impressive. You're pretty close to land on both sides and while hilly, there really aren't any impressive mountain views. Don't concern yourself too much with that. You can find equal views no matter where you go on the ship, in or out.

We chose flexibility. We did not want a structured tour with other people pre-cruise. We chose to rent a car and make our own schedule. That way, we were able to stop whenever and wherever we wanted. The town of Hope wasn't even in our plans originally, so that goes to show that while we did have plans, we still had the flexibility to wing it.

If you do this, here's a hint. Hertz is the only car rental that's both in Anchorage and Seward. They gouge the heck out of you if you want to drop off in Seward. Become a Hertz Gold member ahead of time and when it comes time to reserve the car, call them. They worked with us and found certain discounts. What would have been a $1200 car rental was cut down to $350.

All in all, I had a fabulous vacation. The sights and experiences were priceless and this goes down as one of my all time favorite trips. In my first post, I said that in hindsight, I would prefer to have gone on Radiance of the Seas. I still stand by that. Don't get me wrong. I still had a great time on the Millennium and there were some areas where they really shined. But I think I would have enjoyed the activites on ROS better and I would be very surprised if they put on a kids talent show in the Viking Crown Lounge during a scenic part of the cruise.

On the other hand, Millennium hit a home run with the MDR food and service, with the Captains Club perks, and with the visibility of senior officers.

I did point out the cleanliness and maintanance issues so, while nothing was done to correct them during our week, hopefully corrective measures were taken to make the ship look a little better for future cruisers. I'm sure this review will help that also.

Speaking of clenliness, our room attendant, Dodi, was excellent. What I found weird was, if we didn't eat our chocolates, he took them. That was a little odd but otherwise, he was great. The daily snacks and fruit for being in Concierge Class was also a nice touch.

ry%3D400

Hey Paul...wonderful pictures and review!

Regarding Radiance.....I was very disappointed they ruined the Viking Crown Lounge by putting up a partition to make an area for Diamond members (or whatever they call their most frequent cruisers.) They can always schedule better on the Millennium, but the fantastic view of both sides of the ship is forever gone on the Radiance. :(

The viewing Lounge is one of my most favorite places on ships so that matters to me a lot.

Hey Paul...wonderful pictures and review!

Regarding Radiance.....I was very disappointed they ruined the Viking Crown Lounge by putting up a partition to make an area for Diamond members (or whatever they call their most frequent cruisers.) They can always schedule better on the Millennium, but the fantastic view of both sides of the ship is forever gone on the Radiance. :(

The viewing Lounge is one of my most favorite places on ships so that matters to me a lot.

Thank you Sean. Good point about the VCL on Radiance. I haven't seen it since they added the Diamond Lounge. Forunately, I do have access, so I could use it, but I understand how it could be a barrier for most.

Thanks, Aquahound, for the great photos. I was on Millennium, northbound, June 21, probably right before your southbound week. We had the opposite weather - sunny and clear in Ketchikan and Icy Point Strait, and foggy in Juneau and Skagway and then we missed Hubbard entirely due to the fog. So it was great to see photos of what we didn't get to see!

A comment on those bare metal railings - I was on the ship a lot during the day, and I noticed the bare metal railings too, which I thought was odd. Then I started noticing refinished, glossy pieces of railing stored in hallways, etc. And I saw crews replacing them bit by bit during the cruise. The refinished wooden railings were beautiful. For some reason they took a whole bunch of them off at once, for varnishing, but the replacing was a slow process.

I also noticed those lamps in my stateroom and thought they looked odd! Looking like rust is unfortunate. What will designers think of next?

Thanks, Aquahound, for the great photos. I was on Millennium, northbound, June 21, probably right before your southbound week. We had the opposite weather - sunny and clear in Ketchikan and Icy Point Strait, and foggy in Juneau and Skagway and then we missed Hubbard entirely due to the fog. So it was great to see photos of what we didn't get to see!

A comment on those bare metal railings - I was on the ship a lot during the day, and I noticed the bare metal railings too, which I thought was odd. Then I started noticing refinished, glossy pieces of railing stored in hallways, etc. And I saw crews replacing them bit by bit during the cruise. The refinished wooden railings were beautiful. For some reason they took a whole bunch of them off at once, for varnishing, but the replacing was a slow process.

I also noticed those lamps in my stateroom and thought they looked odd! Looking like rust is unfortunate. What will designers think of next?

Hello Relax&Read! Actually, we were on the June 14 southbound, right before you. ;) Thanks for explaining the railings. That's odd they would remove the entire length, especially for so long. Good to hear they look good now. Now, if they could just address the MDR ceiling mold! Actually, I would hope they cleaned it by now!!! Since I pointed it out twice, maybe they had to wait until turnaround day to get a man-lift in there to reach the 2-story ceiling.

• 1 month later...

we just made plans for the same cruise for next June and I loved seeing all the photos, and clear descriptions of what we will see again. We cruised in July 2005, so I believe a few things have changed in Alaska since then. I think I will be most shocked at how much they have added in Icy Strait Point. The Whale Watch Tour sounds fantastic.

I am really glad we were able to get a port side veranda room, now that I have read your detailed summary.

Can you tell me how those people got so close to that amazing waterfall that is outside Juneau? What tour was that? Thanks
It is Nugget Falls at Mendenhall Glacier.

You just follow an easy trail that goes right to it.

No tour is needed.

Anyone who goes out to Mendenhall Glacier can walk right over to the waterfall.

Old people with canes do it. Little kids do it.

It took me about a half hour each way, walking out to the waterfall from the visitor center and back. That was walking slowly and stopping frequently to take photos and just looking around to enjoy the views.

You can take one of the shuttle buses out to Mendenhall and back for about $8 per person each way.

Admission to the visitor center is $3, but you get in free if you have (or if you accompany someone who has) a senior pass or golden age card.

It is Nugget Falls at Mendenhall Glacier.

You just follow an easy trail that goes right to it.

No tour is needed.

Anyone who goes out to Mendenhall Glacier can walk right over to the waterfall.

This is exactly right and frankly, I recommend it. If you want to do more of a hike, you can hike the same trails we did without an excursion guide. The trails are well marked.

I am really glad we were able to get a port side veranda room, now that I have read your detailed summary.

Enjoy your cruise. :) Despite some advice I read prior to my cruise, I definitely recommend port side for southbound and starboard side for northbound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Our cruise ended in Vancouver where we rented a car and drove down to Seattle. We had a pretty good time there walking the market and riding the ferris wheel.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

First of all, thank you for your review of your Alaska adventure. We will be doing the southbound Alaska land/sea cruise aboard the Millenium next year. I have a few questions that I hope you won't mind answering. I was wondering what the cost would be to rent a car in Vancouver and dropping it off in Seattle. Where did you pick up your rental car? Was there an exhorbitant drop off charge? Which rental company did you use? Thank you.

Edited by LuvMyLhasa
Found answer later in thread

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your incredible photos and very readable review. The pics of the bald eagles are awesome! We are doing the Northbound cruise on Millennium in July with my parents. I'm going to show them your review to get them pumped (not that they're not already excited...first cruise for them and they've always wanted to see Alaska).

The bike excursion sounds like something me and DH would love but we're sticking with the parents this run and just doing the train both ways. Next time though...:)

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much, Aquahound for your photo journal. I was almost THERE with you!

When you took the tram up to Seven Glaciers... what time was your dinner reservation... for you to see that marvelous view? I think your post showed 11:30 PM for sunset.

Does the tram go often? Does it take you right back to the hotel?

What other MUST-SEES would you suggest for us form your trip? Killer views (without hiking) are TOPS for us.

Thank you!