Southbound Millennium Cruise and Excursions Photo Review

Aquahound

At this point, 7 miles from the glacier, we had to stop. The ice got too thick.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We still had a decent view of the glacier though, and the Captain kept us there as long as he could. The ice prevented the ship from spinning much, so you really had to be outside to get a good view.

ry%3D400

On Sunday, we pulled into Juneau. The birds must get fed often here because while I was eating breakfast on my balcony, this little guy joined me.

ry%3D400

And this is me yelling at him when he tried to get too close.

ry%3D400

In Juneau, we did a hike to the Mendenhall Glacier. It was about an hour hike through the woods and we ended at the glacier.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

OMG....I knew I missed Alaska...now I really know it. I need to go

back and am looking at 2014......this picture is AWESOME:)

I'll use this break between ports to report a room problem. Not my room, but a room belonging to someone else in our travel party. If you book interiors, stay away from 9187 or any other room in a similar position on the deck plans. It is right next to a room service kitchen. I got a look at the space and it is an all stainless room and appears to be a full stocked kitchen. There is constant activity in there and the loud banging kept them up all night.

When they complained about the room, Guest services told them they are always having to move people out of it. Seems to me they should fix the problem, but their failure to do so worked in my friends' benefit. GS was gracious enough to upgrade them to a balcony on deck 6. I think this made up for it nicely and my friends were very happy with the unexpected upgrade.

I'll use this break between ports to report a room problem. Not my room, but a room belonging to someone else in our travel party. If you book interiors, stay away from 9187 or any other room in a similar position on the deck plans. It is right next to a room service kitchen. I got a look at the space and it is an all stainless room and appears to be a full stocked kitchen. There is constant activity in there and the loud banging kept them up all night.

When they complained about the room, Guest services told them they are always having to move people out of it. Seems to me they should fix the problem, but their failure to do so worked in my friends' benefit. GS was gracious enough to upgrade them to a balcony on deck 6. I think this made up for it nicely and my friends were very happy with the unexpected upgrade.

Great pictures and review!!!! Glad everything worked out for your friends!!!

We got off the train after clearing Canadian Customs and boarded our bicycles for the 15 mile trip back down. We hit 30 mph on the bikes and it was a serious adrenaline rush. I didn't get any pictures on the bikes, but the views are awesome.

ry%3D400

The company that ran the excursion was called Sockeye Cycles. The guides could not have been any more friendly and personable. We loved this excursion and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for some action in their tour. We crossed the border again and had to clear U.S. Customs on the way down. It felt odd doing it on a bicycle. By the way, you MUST have a passport to do this excursion. The tour company mandates it.

Edited by Aquahound

I loved the town of Skagway. It was like stepping back 100 years in time. That is, except for the Diamonds International that found its way to Alaska. :rolleyes:

ry%3D400

I couldn't leave Skagway without visiting the Red Onion brothel. :D

ry%3D400

By the way, it hit 85 degrees in Skagway that day. The locals were miserable and frankly (gasp), I didn't like it either. I love hot weather, but it sorta takes away from the Alaskan experience when it's that hot.

Hi,

The nighttable lamps are not rusty, it is their design...:)

To be honest, I am also not a fan of them.

Really? They're designed that way? :eek: Thanks. I did not know that. No, I do not like them either. It's kinda dirty looking.

Next was Icy Straight Point and one of the most amazing days I ever had. Folks, if you want to do a whale watching tour, look for a private tour. We booked Misty Bay Whale Watching for almost the same price per person as the cruise ship excursions, it was an hour longer, and it was only the 6 of us on the boat.

This is the Misty Bay. There was plenty of room inside, a head, and a viewing platform above the wheel house.

ry%3D400

The boat made over 30 knots, so we blew away all the large capacity tour boats on the way out.

ry%3D400

Then the fins appeared of a family of Orca whales.

ry%3D400

Then I just happened to have my camera at the ready when this beast did a full breach. This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And then, as we sat there, they turned and swam right for us.

ry%3D400

This big guy went right under our boat and sprayed me as I was taking his picture.

ry%3D400

This picture speaks for itself. Words cannot describe how awesome this was.

Oh yeah, and we saw Humpbacks also.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This picture doesn't do this justice because I was a couple seconds late taking it and they were a lot closer than they look. These 2 Humpbacks breached right next to us. The very loud sound from their blowholes was mind blowing.

ry%3D400

Before I go on, I'll use this opportunity to give kudos to the Captains Club and to the host, Graehm (sp?) from Zimbabwe. The guy was very visible and very friendly.

We took advantage of the nightly cocktail hour in Michael's Club. I can't speak for the early evenings because we avoided the early crowds by going at 6. But from 6 on, everyone was very courteous and very well behaved. There were many tables open. The servers were personable. We enjoyed this experience very much. Thank you Captains Club! :)