4-6 pm

ddpe

Be sure to go to tea in Horizons (4-5 PM) at least once on your cruise. Those scones with clotted cream and jam are sinfully fabulous.

Sounds lovely! Is tea served everyday on the 'R'ships too? What about embarkation day?

Thanks

Sounds lovely! Is tea served everyday on the 'R'ships too? What about embarkation day?

Thanks

It is lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed it on the Regatta - the scones are quite delicious and they have some interesting and equally delicious sandwiches and cakes! If you are in a PH, your butler will bring you afternoon tea in suite, which is lovely sitting on your verandah watching the comings and goings - all the time, you are sitting there with your feet up, enjoying the goodies! :D

Afternoon tea was not served on OUR embarkation day as that was the time of the muster drill at 4.15pm with all guests mandatory attendance and all ship's services are suspended during this safety exercise. Please note, I wrote OUR recent cruise, as this might vary with different departure times, but it is all documented in your welcome aboard copy of "Currents". We sailed at 5pm.

But you will not go hungry between breakfast and dinner, for as soon as we boarded, which was very prompt just after 11am, we were directed to the Terrace Cafe where we found a spot on the outside deck and were offered drinks. Lunch was announced at 11.30 am. Frequent announcements were made to welcome people on board and to update when staterooms would be ready. Ours were announced as ready at 1pm. With others at stages after that time. A very easy and well-oiled embarkation.

Some years ago we were on a HAL cruise and met up with a honeymoon couple from Baltimore in their 70's.

During dinner conversation at the table we asked how they spent Sea Days particularly in the afternoon when less was going on.

The answer was "we have a MATINEE". In our naivety we asked what they had seen that day........Others at the table seemed to understand their meaning and applauded them. We were nonplussed until we were told after dinner that there was an AMERICAN meaning for the phrase.

They apparently had a great time and looked forward to sea days !!

So I offer this as an alternative to tea and scones.

Brian

Some years ago we were on a HAL cruise and met up with a honeymoon couple from Baltimore in their 70's.

During dinner conversation at the table we asked how they spent Sea Days particularly in the afternoon when less was going on.

The answer was "we have a MATINEE". In our naivety we asked what they had seen that day........Others at the table seemed to understand their meaning and applauded them. We were nonplussed until we were told after dinner that there was an AMERICAN meaning for the phrase.

They apparently had a great time and looked forward to sea days !!

So I offer this as an alternative to tea and scones.

Brian

LOL! :eek: Brian, you do not have to be from Baltimore, in your 70's, or on honeymoon to have a "matinee" on a cruise! Isn't that what sea days are for? ;):D

Of course, the lovely thing about having a butler, is you can have your "matinee" AND your afternoon tea in the comfort of your suite! :D. This is worth paying the extra for a PH alone!!

Just don't forget to put the Privacy sign on during the "matinee"! LOL!

Thanks

Afternoon tea is served daily from 4-5pm except for embarkation day

White glove treatment with real teapots unlike some cruises where they pour from a large carafe (YUCK) :eek:

brian_uk,

One could combine a "matinee" with tea, especially the clotted cream!

Am I now dealing with another set of double cream or even is there a double entendre being used here. Investigations are called for !!!

Brian

While I am usually an observer of the forum rather than take part in the discussions I have to state that Jim and Stan's comments are many a time somewhat entertaining! I would love to be on the same cruise as the two of you as I am sure your the life and soul of any get together! We enjoy your humour and fair approaches to each debate. We are trying our first cruise with Oceania in July on the Riviera after many a year with Crystal and Silversea and although we will aboard with an open mind, we highly enjoy reading other passengers thoughts.

We always order a couple of cheese plates and we think they are better than the canapes served in in the suites. We found the suite canapes a little "fussy" for our taste.

Depending on where we depart from we also take some cheese, crackers, nuts, etc on board to enjoy with drinks on our veranda. Every cabin now has a fridge so you can keep things. Cans of nuts are easy to pack.

We are not "foodies" but always travel with a sharp knife to cut cheese and a plastic plate although we usually save one of the cheese plates for future use. We also pick up local delicacies in port to enjoy so we have never gone hungry.

Thanks for the suggestions here. We leave on our first Oceania cruise in a few days!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived