Things we "must do"

12 weeks until our first cruise and we don't want to miss out on anything.

Does anyone have tips of "what not to miss"?

We want to get as much done as possible on our 12 night Med cruise from Southampton on Independence of the Seas!

We're a young couple and want to make the most of our time.

xx

Have you figured out what you will do in each port?

You can learn a lot by visiting the ports of call boards and also your roll call board to get ideas if you have not yet come up with a plan for each port.

Keith

You are very welcome. Many ports you can easily do on your own while some ports you might want to take a tour.

Also, in some of the ports the town is right there with the attractions but other times the major places of interest can be one hour or more from the port.

Keith

You need to work out for each port what you want to do. Then determine how to do it. In each port you can take a ship excursion, a private excursion, or Do It Yourself. Places on Cruise Critic that can help you plan include the Ports of Call section and the Roll Call.

You need to decide what interests you.

Some people like to see museums, others - famous buildings, some people like to shop. Everyone had their own interests.

Once you decide what you want to see and do in each port, then you can start to research each port.

I see that you have joined your Roll Call. That is a good place to find out what others are doing and maybe you can join some of them on private tours.

I would start by looking at the tours offered by the cruise line - it will give you an idea of what's at each port. Some of them might fill up early so it's time to start planning. :) Ships tours are quite often a bit more expensive but on the other hand you know the tour company has been checked out for reliability, etc.

One thing to remember is that the time in port listed in the itinerary is when the ship arrives and leaves. It usually takes 30 minutes or so for the ship to be cleared by the port authority when it arrives and you have to be back on the ship at least 30 minutes before departure. THEY WON'T WAIT IF YOU'RE LATE.

I like to use Google Earth to look at each port - to see what's near by or if most things are further away.

Welcome to the great world of cruising. Prepare to be hooked.

Like most Med cruises, yours is port intensive. You do have a few sea days so make the most of them by taking some time to just relax and enjoy the sea air. Don't feel like you have to be "doing" something every minute of every day.

Before our last cruise, my hubby was checking out each port on Google Earth. What's funny is that we were taking this exact itinerary for the third time. But the last two times, he just depended on me to do all the research.

In the meantime, I was googling each port to see if I can come up with fresh ideas for what to do.

We had more sea days than ports (which is the way my family likes cruises anyway), but we didn't plan out any of the sea days ahead of time. After the muster drill, it's check the daily newsletter until our late dining seating.

We book cruises to go see places that we learned in History in Grade School and High School in the 1950's and 1960's. There is nothing better than seeing various places in London and Paris (The Eiffel Tower), Alaska, New England and many others. We are doing the Eastern Med this time and will see and learn more than any history book could have taught us with the various Private and Princess Tours we are doing. That is first on our mind and then how to take our Granddaughter back to these places at the time she learns about them in school in the next 3-4 years.

We want to get as much done as possible on our 12 night Med cruise from Southampton on Independence of the Seas!

xx

Try and get up early one morning and watch the ship's arrival in port. I'm often so excited to be aboard I can't sleep and begin roaming the decks.

I love to watch the twinkling lights from shore gradually morph into large houses and buildings and street lamps, it is truly enchanting.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Jonathan

Try and get up early one morning and watch the ship's arrival in port. I'm often so excited to be aboard I can't sleep and begin roaming the decks.

I love to watch the twinkling lights from shore gradually morph into large houses and buildings and street lamps, it is truly enchanting.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Jonathan

Sail-aways are also not to be missed. We had watched them from our balcony, but found the atmosphere on the stern deck to be lively and fun, and we are glad we did that, too! We aren't huge party people, so if there had been a tremendous din on the open deck, we might have skipped it, but it was fun to be in "public" during some sail-aways, especially from other than the home port.

And, of course, there is the very entertaining view just before departure, of near-tardy pax running down the quay making sure they do not miss the ship!

Frankly I don't believe that there is a universal must do list. My interests almost certainly differ from yours and the people that will be in the cabin next to me. I for one enjoy lots of sea days relaxing on the balcony and reading with a good glass of red wine. Others would say they could do that at home and save a lot of money and they would't be wrong. Neither am I as that's one of the things I enjoy most about our cruises. I've seen people party till dawn and others in bed at 8pm. I know a couple that only eats in the speciality restaurants and lots who find dining at the buffet good enough for them and never visit the MDR. The list really depends on you and you alone. You will discover your must do's easy enough. Just enjoy yourself.

Frankly I don't believe that there is a universal must do list. My interests almost certainly differ from yours and the people that will be in the cabin next to me. I for one enjoy lots of sea days relaxing on the balcony and reading with a good glass of red wine. Others would say they could do that at home and save a lot of money and they would't be wrong. Neither am I as that's one of the things I enjoy most about our cruises. I've seen people party till dawn and others in bed at 8pm. I know a couple that only eats in the speciality restaurants and lots who find dining at the buffet good enough for them and never visit the MDR. The list really depends on you and you alone. You will discover your must do's easy enough. Just enjoy yourself.

Excellent

I'm a relax on

The balcony with a chilled Chardonnay and a good book on the kindle too, and yes of course we can do it at home . But we much prefer doing it here where the scenery is constantly changing !!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

xx

We have done that cruise in 2010

If you are stopping in Vigo

Splurge and go ashore for a romantic lunch in town . The fish and seafood is to die for .

IOS is a fab ship for young and old you will have a great time

I'm a relax on

The balcony with a chilled Chardonnay and a good book on the kindle too, and yes of course we can do it at home . But we much prefer doing it here where the scenery is constantly changing !!!

We are talking about a ship at sea, here, right? :confused: :rolleyes:

Too cringeworthy most of the time !!! Ok for a while Far prefer the tranquility of my balcony !

I have actually spotted whales as well as a 'good swell' in the past !!!!

Archived