Kennebunkport Restaurants

I'm pretty sure this is the only restaurant in Kennebunkport.

At least that's what I think because it's the only place my wife lets me eat and I have no problem with that. One of the best lobster rolls in Maine here.

Or you can make reservations with George and Bar!

I'm pretty sure this is the only restaurant in Kennebunkport.

At least that's what I think because it's the only place my wife lets me eat and I have no problem with that. One of the best lobster rolls in Maine here.

Or you can make reservations with George and Bar!

Haven't been to Clam Shack, but it has great reviews. Federal Jacks has good food, and great beer.

Haven't been to Clam Shack, but it has great reviews. Federal Jacks has good food, and great beer.

Agree with these, would add One Dock and Hurricane restaurants- really depends on the experience you want. Clam Shack is great for fired food and a casual atmosphere and really is a classic New England fried food experience, but if you are looking for a sit down, dining experience you are better off with these other choices. Mouth is watering just thinking about it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the Clam Shack site, they had a video about them and Allison's going head to head on the Travel Channel to find out who's lobster roll was best. No one mentioned Allison's above; and since it is a sit down restaurant, I am interested in it. Nearly as good as the Clam Shack?

• 1 month later...

I am probably too late for this year, but Allison's is more like Federal Jacks. A big restaurant that gets very crowded at times (they give you a buzzer so that you can walk around). I don't find Allison's charming - there is no view or anything particularly New England about it. Federal Jack's on the other hand is on the second floor of a building on the water, and has some nice views (there is an elevator - Federal Jack's is about a ten minute walk from Dock Square, Allison's is right in Dock Square - also, Allison's has a charmless upstairs, with no elevator). The food is probably comparable, which I would call hit or miss. You might get lucky - but it won't kill you - although this year the lobster roll at Federal Jack's was ridiculously expensive for Maine, but very good. Other options (check to see if they are open for lunch) One Dock in the recently renovated Kennebunkport Inn (the restaurant is pretty, about a two minute walk from Dock Square) and David's (two minute walk from Dock Square - on the water - dark and trendy). Bathroom facilities are limited in town, so a sit down restaurant is a good option for that. Mabel's is walk - I would guess over a mile. The walk is flat and on a sidewalk. Usually no wait for lunch. The place is New England, the food, well, my friends who live in town won't go there, but I usally stop by. There is something about it I like. There are a couple of stores across the way. There are no taxis - so if you do walk down there, be prepared to walk back.

For anyone on the fence about Kennebunkport, I would urge you to go. I imagine the bus takes you by the Bush estate and also Gooch's Beach - both are worth seeing. The town is very sweet and easy, there are some benches here and there to sit. Make sure you walk to the bridge (just ask anyone - it is a few feet from Dock Square) and take some photos, or just take in the view. It doesn't get much prettier around there.

We just got back from our NE/Canada cruise. When in Kennebunkport, just a lovely town, we had lobster rolls at the Clam Shack. Yummy! I went to Allison's after to get some blueberry pie. Oh my goodness, it was so good! Since there was a long wait to sit at a table, I sat at the bar and it worked out great.

• 2 weeks later...

If you'll have a car, I'd highly recommend the Cape Pier Chowder House at the Cape Porpoise Lobster Company. They're located about 10 minutes from downtown. Nothing like eating fresh lobster while watching them unload more lobsters from the boats. Their lobster stew is amazing.

Archived