Explorer vs Freedom

Has anyone recently traveled on the Explorer or the Freedom? How do they compare? Especially interested in your comments regarding the rooms on the Explorer. I have heard complaints on this board that the Explorer is showing her age (mostly in the staterooms). I know you aren't in there very much, but it's where I sleep and I want it nice :)! Anyone have any thoughts? We are traveling with our (2) 13 year old kids who have never cruised. Thanks so much!

We were on the Explorer earlier this month. We saw some minor signs of age (stains on the sofa in the cabin, missing buttons in some of the elevators, railings that could use some attention, etc.). Overall though, the ship was in good shape.

Been on both and liked both ships, but the freedom is in much better shape and a newer ship. The balconies on the explorer are all steel and a bit like a cave. Freedom is more open with plexiglass between the rail and deck. The freedom is a stretch voyager with more amenities and venues such as the flow rider. There is also the diamond club on the freedom if that's of importance to you. Explorer will have a diamond club post dry dock in 2015. If it were me, I would go with the freedom any day.

Been on both and liked both ships, but the freedom is in much better shape and a newer ship. The balconies on the explorer are all steel and a bit like a cave. Freedom is more open with plexiglass between the rail and deck. The freedom is a stretch voyager with more amenities and venues such as the flow rider. There is also the diamond club on the freedom if that's of importance to you. Explorer will have a diamond club post dry dock in 2015. If it were me, I would go with the freedom any day.

I agree TOTALLY :-)

I've been on both the Explorer followed by the Freedom. Freedom is a newer, super-sized version of Explorer. The Explorer has an inline skating track whereas the Freedom has the Flowrider. Freedom has Sorrentos Pizza and Cafe Promenade whereas the Explorer just has Cafe Promenade (pizza is served here on this ship). Freedom has the On-Air Club, a karaoke lounge. There are a couple of booths were you can record your own song. Freedom has the cupcake cupboard and a big screen by the pool. Explorer is due to get some of these Oasis-class enhancements after Quantum replaces Explorer in Bayonne.

Since the ships are very similar, it may be better to choose an itinerary you like best.

One advantage that you would have on the Explorer is that you could drive to the port.

Paying for four airfares can get expensive.

In addition, Explorer has THE SAME balcony-connected-to-an-interior on Deck 9 aft as I told you about on the Freedom.

One advantage that you would have on the Explorer is that you could drive to the port.

Paying for four airfares can get expensive.

In addition, Explorer has THE SAME balcony-connected-to-an-interior on Deck 9 aft as I told you about on the Freedom.

My sister in law had these rooms in March. She wanted a balcony, but didn't want her kids to have one. And she ended up saving a good chunk of money this way.

*edited to add: She had the ones forward, not aft. But the same idea.

My sister in law had these rooms in March. She wanted a balcony, but didn't want her kids to have one. And she ended up saving a good chunk of money this way.

*edited to add: She had the ones forward, not aft. But the same idea.

The cabins forward are balcony + oceanview. More money.

The ones aft are balcony + interior.

:)

thanks! I'm leaning very heavily in the direction of the Freedom!

DH and I have been on both and liked them both. If I had to pick one...Freedom. We liked her so much that we booked her sister ship the Independence this coming April. There were plenty of kids on our Freedom sailing and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.:)

How was the Freedom? Especially for keeping the (2) 13 year olds busy?

We took our 13YO GS on Freedom last summer. He must have been having fun, because we only saw him at breakfast and dinner. :) Should have brought a rake and shovel with us since there was ample evidence of his frequent fly by's to the cabin to change clothes to get to whatever he was doing next:eek:. Who needs a walk-in closet, when there's a huge walk-in floor to catch your clothes:eek:

I'n thinking more information.

Are we comparing itineraries, 9 day for EX and 7 for Freedom or what is the comparison?

Are we comparing driving vs. flying?

Are we comparing pricing?

We have been on both and enjoyed both. The answers to the above would greatly affect my choice.

Tim

No, comparing ships. Was concerned about the age of the Explorer & activities onboard that would keep 6 kids (6-16) busy. Doesn't matter if we drive or fly. And, I have been to many of the islands down there so I'm not concerned with the itinerary. Thanks!

I sailed Explorer end of March, and am sailing on Freedom end of August.

My first trip with my kids was on Liberty. I have since decided I made a big mistake. Never take kids on the biggest ship in the fleet (at that time) as their first cruise. They do not want to sail anything else now.

Freedom has the ice skating rink and the flowrider. These two things are very important to my kids. But the most important thing to my younger son is the freshwater pools. Only Freedom class and up have that. He hates salt water, won't do slides or water attractions that have salt water. And for the older one it's the flowrider.

When I sailed Explorer without them in March, I made a point of walking around and thinking whether it was an option for us as we live in NJ and no flying needed. I realized, after watching the kids on board (we had nasty weather down, then cool weather the entire time we were south), that my kids would not have enjoyed that ship.

We have sailed Mariner with them, as well as a couple of Carnival ships too. But we're going back on Freedom for our third trip in August, and on to Allure in April.

I think if the kids have not sailed before, they will enjoy Explorer. As long as the weather is good. But if air is not a factor (cost wise) then I would recommend Freedom as the better choice.

No, comparing ships. Was concerned about the age of the Explorer & activities onboard that would keep 6 kids (6-16) busy. Doesn't matter if we drive or fly. And, I have been to many of the islands down there so I'm not concerned with the itinerary. Thanks!

I would sail the 9 day Explorer over the 7 day Freedom IF I had the extra vacation time. The major diffs for the kids has been stated, flowrider and a couple of other minor details. I would personally go for the extra days.

Tim

We were on the Freedom in April for two weeks and were thoroughly impressed with how well she is being maintained. Any wear and tear was minimal. Great ship for anyone from the young to the young-at-heart! I cannot imagine the 13 year-olds not finding enough to keep them busy.

Archived