Live from the Maasdam NE/C

tomc

[quote name=calgalcruiser Food is good but getting a little tired of the Lido.

[/quote]

Wow....I'm so surprised to hear that with your few days aboard, you are a little tired of Lido food. We were there for 14 days and never gotten tired of lunch there. There are so many choices. You could literally eat there for 14 days and never repeat the same lunch. We had our favorites :) so often had at least a sampling of a favorite everyday and then had something else we hadn't eaten on other days.

We only had breakfast in Lido one day and never had dinner there.

Like sail, we have been on ships for 20 days and have never gotten tired of the Lido for lunch. So many different items to choose from everyday.

Even breakfast you can have something different for several days before you start to repeat items.

Have never had dinner in the Lido.

Tom, I plan to keep the Maasdam Chain gang going thru my "Live from the Maasdam Reports" but.... following you will be so hard and boring. But I will do my best:D You know that you will really be a tough ACT to follow.

Reading your reports is really helping time to fly by till we can also board the Beautiful MS Maasdam:)

MAJOR CORRECTION

AGAIN, MAJOR CORRECTION

This post appeared above under calgalcruiser's name. She must have left herself signed into CC and I, groggy early in the morning, forgot to check and make sure I was signed in as tomc.

This was really my post, not hers.

calgalcruiser was using an internet site on the dock at Sydney and left the CC site open. I was next in line! How about that coincidence! I said, "You're on the Maasdam? Did you just reply to 'Live from the Maasdam?' She said, "You're Tom?" Unfortunately, I'm nowhere as impressive in person as I am online. Also, the big brute next to me identified himself as her husband, so that shot one opportunity right there. I don't need my face re-arranged.

The dockside shop in Sydney has grown a lot in the years it has been open. At first, it was little more than a tin shack (ok, a bit of an exaggeration there) and now it is a full-scale place featuring local artisans and a place to get some eats in case you can't wait to get back on board. I think the little shop behind the church is still open (follow the signs when you get to the street).

The Vibration: We may have been running at the speed where this ship vibrates. I think all ships have that speed. Last night we ran smoothly, even in the Lido where it was shaky before.

Weather is quite pleasant in Sydney. More later, either at the free dockside 'puter or at 11:00pm Eastern (midnite here).

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

where Dutch High Tea isn't something you roll yourself and smoke

I do think you need to spend more time in your cabin, Tom - whenever you get out your "baser instincts" take over! But do tell us more about the goings on up on the LibIDO deck, in the jacuzzies and among the inspired.

Oh, and how's the cruise going?

ps2_party_cruise_open.jpg

(I go this picture of Tom & his friends from someone on the dock in Bar Harbor :rolleyes: )

The vibration yesterday, which concluded with two minutes of real bad shaking, happened because we lost a propeller motor (I'm paraphrasing the Captain's announcement of this afternoon) and everything went ka-flooey (I'm paraphrasing the supper talk at our table). They shut it down and we ran with one prop until they could repair it -- something about replacing a chip in the motor. After that, it was restarted and everything is just hunky-dory for the moment.

where the new SOE hasn't happened in the engine room yet.

Just found my notes from this afternoon. Paraphrasing: "A propulsion motor died. Shut one down. Fixed it, put it back on line." Same deal; we were running on one prop for a while until they could get the Model Tdam running again.

Made by Ford ... Fix Or Repair Daily

Oh my Tom!!!

You best grab that oar and beef up on bread pudding. It sounds like it could a long row back!:eek:

In all seriousness, they don't want the Maasdam bobbing around in the North Atlantic....already tried that with the Rotterdam, pax swore that was no fun.:o Seems like they need to do brainstorming on repairs even if it means taking it out of service to get the problem(s) really handled!

Hoping the best for all you current and future Maasdam cruisers!:cool:

Ok, here's the night-time report for Tuesday.

Ship's running fine, with the usual vibration in the Lido that we've come to know and love so well; but it's certainly not bad at all. Weather is still on our side and it's fairly warm outside, even in the late evening hours; PEI should be 79 on Wednesday, according to weather.com

calgalcruiser dropped by my table in the Lido a few minutes ago (about 11:00pm Eastern) and we chatted for a while. A delightful person and a lot of fun. The cruiser gal lives in Cal. I guess that's not hard to figure out.

We had a party this evening, veddy private, for about three dozen of us; maybe just two dozen. The purser said the guest list was based on the better suites and the repeaters. The lady of a certain age next to me was taking her first HAL cruise, so she must be in one of the Big Bucks Suites; I'm down in steerage, so I must qualify on the basis of repeaterability. The original invitation I received was on folded card stock with a logo seal and, when I opened it, the thing was blank. So I went to the Front Office and said, "I received this invitation, but I'm not sure exactly what I should do about it." The young woman opened it and said, "Oh, it's blank." I said, "I thought maybe it was a big secret." The supervisor behind the desk said, "You're not supposed to go; that's how we keep you away." So I said, "The party is so exclusive that nobody knows about it, nobody shows up?" They all agreed. Of course, we're laughing our @'s off at this point.

I don't think they are steam cleaning the ship's hull and windows as much as using some sort of high-pressure, low-volume hose. That would explain why there is so little runoff and so much "steam" coming from it.

The small "shack" on the Sydney dock has grown quite a bit and is quite impressive at this point. Still offering free Internet access, too.

where one more dessert ain't gonna hurt you.

Keep us updated on those vibrations

All of a sudden, the song "Good Vibrations" can't leave me mind!

"Good, good, good .... Good vibrations!"

"Gotta keep those love-good, vibrations happening with her..."

1st one to remember that song, gets a drink from me on our next cruise!

:D

Tom, like RuthC I am not at all happy to hear about more engine problems. I pray we don't have real problems on our North Atlantic adventure!!

By the way, is Capt. van der Loo still the Captain or is it now Henk Draper??

Look forward to your next post.

All of a sudden, the song "Good Vibrations" can't leave me mind!

"Good, good, good .... Good vibrations!"

"Gotta keep those love-good, vibrations happening with her..."

1st one to remember that song, gets a drink from me on our next cruise!

:D

I love the colorful clothes she wears, and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair...

I hear the sound of a gentle word on the wind, that lifts her perfume through the air.

I'm picking up good vibrations, she's giving me excitations...

good, good, good - good vibrations...

Scotch & Water rocks, please. :p

The "blank invitation" story was true, as told.

Loo, which means "toilet" in England, is the captain. If he gets things straightened out, he will be flushed with victory; if not, he will feel wiped out.

I'm in PEI right now, where we are docking for only four hours. Anne of Green Gables met us at the pier, all smiley and pigtailey. Those with diabetes were going into sugar shock all over the place.

The Internet Cafe onboard has a 50% off deal for two hours this afternoon, "back by popular demand." They want something by popular demand?? Lower your **** prices!

where DOM's are saying, "Hi, little Annie; come here often? heh heh."

(Software won't let me post: "girl" instead of "Annie")

Archived