Some "Stupid" Questions Before We Depart on July 13th

BadBucks

We're going on the Riviera Paths of the Byzantines cruise embarking in Venice next Saturday. Being a first timer on Oceania added to the fact that we're "virgin" Mediterranean cruisers, I have some (probably quite basic) queries that I'm hopeful to get some guidance from the seasoned and smart folks here :

1) Are mosquitoes an issue in our ports of call this time of year (Venice, Dalmatian Coast, Greek Isles and Turkey)?

2) I've traditionally tipped the steward/ housekeeping staff whenever I've checked in/arrived on other cruise lines/hotels to "assure" good service from the get go. Is this appropriate/recommended on this cruise? If so, how much? It's a 12 day cruise on we're on Deck 9, level A4 -Concierge Veranda Stateroom.

3) How much cash should I bring, outside of any gambling cash?

4) Staying on the cash issue, how should I secure Euros (I'm a US citizen)? Or do most of the ports of call vendors accept/prefer US $$?

5) Another cash related issue, is it easy to use ATMs there or on the ship? And if so, what are the fees? My bank doesn't charge fees from their end, but not sure about the vendors on the other side of these transactions. Or should I just use my credit card when available?

Thanx in advance for any guidance on these matters! :p

Happy Cruising!

We're going on the Riviera Paths of the Byzantines cruise embarking in Venice next Saturday. Being a first timer on Oceania added to the fact that we're "virgin" Mediterranean cruisers, I have some (probably quite basic) queries that I'm hopeful to get some guidance from the seasoned and smart folks here :

1) Are mosquitoes an issue in our ports of call this time of year (Venice, Dalmatian Coast, Greek Isles and Turkey)?

2) I've traditionally tipped the steward/ housekeeping staff whenever I've checked in/arrived on other cruise lines/hotels to "assure" good service from the get go. Is this appropriate/recommended on this cruise? If so, how much? It's a 12 day cruise on we're on Deck 9, level A4 -Concierge Veranda Stateroom.

4) Staying on the cash issue, how should I secure Euros (I'm a US citizen)? Or do most of the ports of call vendors accept/prefer US $$?

5) Another cash related issue, is it easy to use ATMs there or on the ship? And if so, what are the fees? My bank doesn't charge fees from their end, but not sure about the vendors on the other side of these transactions. Or should I just use my credit card when available?

Happy Cruising!

First of all, none of these questions are stupid. I don't know that I can answer all of them, but I'll take a stab.

1. Mosquitoes. I have no idea. Although we are sailing in the U.K. at the end of the month, I generally try to avoid summer travel. I'm sure someone else can help.

2. You do know that a suggested gratuity which covers your cabin stewards, waiters, etc., will be charged to your on board account. You can adjust that number up or down as you choose. This is not a cruise line where envelopes are distributed. That said, I confess I have never given a gratuity up front. I have also never had less than exemplary service on Oceania. Personally, I don't think this is necessary.

3. Your cash needs will depend on what you are doing off the ship. Will you be taking ship's tours, private tours or just winging it in port? For ship's tours you might want some cash to tip guides and drivers. Private tours usually require payment in cash and whoever set up the tour, you or a fellow cruiser, should know if the fee is to be in U.S.$ or local currency. Sometimes private tours don't include admission to museums, national parks, etc., but that should have been communicated up front. Think about what you're going to do and how much you think it should cost. I haven't looked at your itinerary, but you should be able to get a lot of information on line. Cost of the Vaparetto in Venice, for example, or the cost of a HOHO bus.

4. I always try to get local currency at an ATM. It is certainly possible that some vendors/taxi drivers/etc. might take US$, but I wouldn't want to rely on that.

5. There is no ATM on the ship. You can exchange money at the purser's desk, but it is a very bad deal. It's fine if you are exchanging a very small amount as it is certainly convenient, but if you are going to get several hundred dollars in euros, head for an ATM. And, just think, if you have euros left over at the end of the trip,it's incentive to go back.

I do use my credit card when possible so that I preserve my cash, but be sure you have a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. Again, for a small charge, the extra fee is no big deal, but if you use your card frequently over the course of the cruise, those fees can add up. You shouldn't have a problem with fees when you pay your Oceania on board account with a credit card. And don't let merchants charge you in dollars. It sounds good, but you end up getting a poor rate of exchange and you pay fees for their conversion from euros to dollars.

You will love your cruise. Riviera is beautiful. The food is the best at sea. Enjoy.

Marilyn

I just feel compelled to address your question about tipping ahead to assure good service. First, I don't know what other lines you have sailed, but Oceania has excellent service, and secondly, IMO thinking of tipping ahead is in very poor taste. Actually I think the staff would be insulted to think that they have to be tipped to provide you with fabulous service.

If you have had to tip ahead for service on some other lines, then you will be pleasantly surprised with Oceania. Now tipping additionally at the end is at your discretion, and we have always done that because of their exemplary service.

Enjoy Oceania!!

I just feel compelled to address your question about tipping ahead to assure good service. First, I don't know what other lines you have sailed, but Oceania has excellent service, and secondly, IMO thinking of tipping ahead is in very poor taste. Actually I think the staff would be insulted to think that they have to be tipped to provide you with fabulous service.

If you have had to tip ahead for service on some other lines, then you will be pleasantly surprised with Oceania. Now tipping additionally at the end is at your discretion, and we have always done that because of their exemplary service.

Enjoy Oceania!!

Could not agree more! ;)

Mosquitoes shouldn't be a problem, as far as I know (haven't been to all those places, but have been at this time of year and there were none.)

ATM's are ubiquitous and yes, there will be a small fee, but negligible in the overall scheme of things. USD's will not be accepted, except on the ship, and perhaps some merchants in Turkey.

I usually just take a few euros to get me started.

Could not agree more! ;)

I will ignore the Tipping question -- it has been beaten to death on this and other forums.

Mosquitoes can be an issue in Greece -- especially Crete. We are bringing some repellant wipes with us.

I think ATM in Venice would be your best bet. Currency exchanges are a rip off (fees are about 10%). Europeans prefer Euro and not USD. Euros are best for buying souvenirs and having a meal at a local cafe.

You could also try a local bank in the states for Euros. Bank of America is one bank that might have some at a fair rate if you have an account.

One thing you might call your bank and tell them your itinerary this way they can make sure your ATM card will work overseas.

I see you have already checked our roll call --

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727587&page=6

See you aboard...

When we did the Black Sea cruise last year most of our private tour guides wanted payment in dollars (one wanted Euros) -- none of them wanted their own currency. But in general Europeans want their own currency, as we do here. Having to go to the bank to change money is time consuming, plus banks over there can be very picky about the condition of the money. (No tears, it can't be too old, etc.)

When in the "third world", vendors may well want dollars. But that isn't generally true in western Europe.

When using an ATM for cash be careful NOT to use a credit card. Credit cards are fine for purchases (depending on your bank's currency exchange policies) but you get ripped off at the ATM for what is considered a "cash advance".

Mura

When we did the Black Sea cruise last year most of our private tour guides wanted payment in dollars (one wanted Euros) -- none of them wanted their own currency. But in general Europeans want their own currency, as we do here. Having to go to the bank to change money is time consuming, plus banks over there can be very picky about the condition of the money. (No tears, it can't be too old, etc.)

When in the "third world", vendors may well want dollars. But that isn't generally true in western Europe.

To the OP, just bear in mind that Mura is talking mostly about Eastern Europe, which is a different story. In Greece and Italy, it's euros. In Turkey it's lira.

But St Petersburg isn't on their itinerary. However, there is one Turkish place that I don't recognize and they might well take dollars there. But not in Istanbul!

Although, come to think of it, one of the notorious cab drivers in Istanbul a year and a half ago did give us his price in dollars. It was a vastly inflated price for the ride, however!

And I don't know about Koper, Dubrovnik and Kotor. It could be possible to use dollars there -- we haven't been, I'm guessing. When we were in Dubrovnik in 1977, however, they wanted local currency, not dollars.

Mura

To the OP, just bear in mind that Mura is talking mostly about Eastern Europe, which is a different story. In Greece and Italy, it's euros. In Turkey it's lira.

Yes, that goes without saying. I was trying to make the distinction clear. I guess I failed!

Mura

Happy Cruising!

1- mosquitoes not a problem, the heat is, hats, water & sunscreen..

2- gratuities are calculated on your bill & can be adjusted at the end of your cruise, pre-tipping is not customary, and has been discussed at length if you "SEARCH".

3- you can easily withdraw- at an ATM- your cash requirements on a day-by-day basis. Private excursions will generally request cash in Euros or CreditCard. You can stop at an ATM before the end of the tours so as not to have large amounts of cash on you during the tour.

-You might want to leave home with some euros to pay for cabs & snacks.

-No ATM's on the ship

- CCards are generally accepted except for small establishments. In Kotor, Koper etc.. same scenario, ATM for cash & CCard.

-Let your Credit Card companies know you are traveling. Use a money belt for your cash & CCards. Do some research on the ports you are visiting, have a plan.

BonVoyage

1) Are mosquitoes an issue in our ports of call this time of year (Venice, Dalmatian Coast, Greek Isles and Turkey.

Mosquitos travel miles to bite me so I always bring a repellent of some sort. The ones you can clip on your clothes works pretty good and pack easily. .

I am still old fashioned and take at least $500.00 in Traelers Checks in case of an emergency. If needed Oceania Reception will cash $100 and I have done this several times during a sailing. I also open another account with a ATM card exclusively for the trip and transfer funds when needed in the event the card is compromised so I don't have to shut down accounts with substantial amounts of money. I have learned this through experience. :)

I need to take a second to correct the record and apologize to turnip eater. I now see that the original post did use the word "prefer," and that I was reading the first reply to question 4 (not the quoted part) when I wrote the above.

I'm sorry!

Ah shucks....you're forgiven;)

from Drib

That's not cricket, turnip eater! The poster did not use the word "prefer." And in St. Petersburg, which is in Europe, many vendors will gladly TAKE the US Dollar

I know I was asleep last night but when did St Petersburg become part of Europe ?

Did I miss something.

Brian

from Drib

That's not cricket, turnip eater! The poster did not use the word "prefer." And in St. Petersburg, which is in Europe, many vendors will gladly TAKE the US Dollar

I know I was asleep last night but when did St Petersburg become part of Europe ?

Did I miss something.

Brian

St Petersburg, Russia,is in Europe.

Not to be confused with St Petersburg in Florida....where dollars are popular:)

I will ignore the Tipping question -- it has been beaten to death on this and other forums.

Mosquitoes can be an issue in Greece -- especially Crete. We are bringing some repellant wipes with us.

I think ATM in Venice would be your best bet. Currency exchanges are a rip off (fees are about 10%). Europeans prefer Euro and not USD. Euros are best for buying souvenirs and having a meal at a local cafe.

You could also try a local bank in the states for Euros. Bank of America is one bank that might have some at a fair rate if you have an account.

One thing you might call your bank and tell them your itinerary this way they can make sure your ATM card will work overseas.

I see you have already checked our roll call --

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727587&page=6

See you aboard...

Threads dealing with tipping - dress code and children are the true undead on these forums - you cant kill them and never know when another will arise - but can be certain it will.

The cruise visits Italy, Greek Islands, Slovenia, Montenegro, Croatia, and Turkey -- no Baltic countries, no Russia and no Florida :)

Only in Turkey (Lira) and Croatia (kuna) -- do not have the Euro as their currency. (for the purest Montenegro is not part of the Euro zone but the Euro is their currency and in Croatia Euro is widely accepted in Tourist areas)

So plan to have Euro's.

Threads dealing with tipping - dress code and children are the true undead on these forums - you cant kill them and never know when another will arise - but can be certain it will.

And just like zombies and vampires (they never die either)-- their will always be a movie playing in the theaters :)

from Drib

Did I miss something.

Brian

I missed it too :confused:

Brenda

Did I miss something.

Brian

I guess we had the same geography teacher ;)

We were taught it was Asia

in reality it is Asia & also Europe.... part of 2 Continents

St Petersburg, Russia,is in Europe.

Not to be confused with St Petersburg in Florida....where dollars are popular:)

Wow.....was I confusing the one in Florida ?????

Of course NOT.

Categorically St Petersburg, Russia is in A S I A. Google it....please.

Brian

I guess we had the same geography teacher ;)

We were taught it was Asia

in reality it is Asia & also Europe.... part of 2 Continents

Russia is NOT part of Europe. While it may adjoin the European land mass it is not part of Europe.

Using your logic, Mexico and Canada are actually part of the USA.

Brian

Russia is NOT part of Europe. While it may adjoin the European land mass it is not part of Europe.

Using your logic, Mexico and Canada are actually part of the USA.

Brian

I agree it is Asia

Idid say it was part of 2 continents

Mexico, Canada & USA are part of the Continent of North America but they are separate Countries

google is your friend ;)

Archived