The Cruise: A Life At Sea BBC2

Ray66

Anyone not wishing to watch this programme again tonight can always watch World's Worst Holiday Horrors on Channel 5 at 8pm. It mentions a cruise holiday and I think it's someone who was on the Concordia.

I didn't realise this was a religious program before tuning in on iplayer! Maybe the title of the show should have reflected the religious focus. I've been slowley persuading my partner to go on a cruise and I think this show has put me back by several months! I had to spend ages explaining to him that this show is NOT what a Carnival or RCL cruise would be like!

Although it was really dull, I do agree with a previous poster in that I was strangely compelled to tune into a second episode...

It was a bit dull but easy to watch. We have cruise a couple of times with Fred Olsen, mainly for the itinerary, and really enjoyed them. Fred Olsen do have a very good customer base, definitely for the older end though, which I hope to be a member of one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Ive just finished watching the last of the 6 episodes on iplayer.

I now note the comments re this being a religious program however that isnt how the BBC billed it. 'The Cruise, a Life at Sea' could have been about anyone working on a cruise ship, not just the vicar. There were so many roles onboard they could have featured. I hated the into each weak saying it was a luxury all inclusive holiday only for them to say during the program that drinks were extra......come on, get it right BBC.

This was a real waste of an opportunity for the BBC. After 4 months of filming onboard they produced 6 very weak episodes. They really didnt know where they were going with this or who they were concentrating on. I feel as though they thought the vicar's life onboard would fill 6 episodes and then realised they were light on content so added in a couple of regulars and the occassional passenger's story and the odd excurision. They veered off into being a part travel program but even those sections were weak and added little value. The Producer and Director want demoting after this rubbish.

I do agree this has done nothing to help Fred's PR at all.

Well Ive just finished watching the last of the 6 episodes on iplayer.

I now note the comments re this being a religious program however that isnt how the BBC billed it. 'The Cruise, a Life at Sea' could have been about anyone working on a cruise ship, not just the vicar. There were so many roles onboard they could have featured. I hated the into each weak saying it was a luxury all inclusive holiday only for them to say during the program that drinks were extra......come on, get it right BBC.

This was a real waste of an opportunity for the BBC. After 4 months of filming onboard they produced 6 very weak episodes. They really didnt know where they were going with this or who they were concentrating on. I feel as though they thought the vicar's life onboard would fill 6 episodes and then realised they were light on content so added in a couple of regulars and the occassional passenger's story and the odd excurision. They veered off into being a part travel program but even those sections were weak and added little value. The Producer and Director want demoting after this rubbish.

I do agree this has done nothing to help Fred's PR at all.

They specifically stated whilst they were filming the programme that it was going to be in the same format as the previous 'parish' programmes, like the one on the Scilly Islands etc. so it should not have been a surprise that the vicar and his work was the main focus! The format was exactly the same as the other programmes which also featured other 'characters'. Personally I think too much time was spent on the choir which did not come across as one of the best cruise choirs I have ever heard; Princess and P&O were much more in tune. However, all in all, the cruise appeared very similar to the Aurora world cruise I was on - for part of it only :( we enjoyed the series!

They specifically stated whilst they were filming the programme that it was going to be in the same format as the previous 'parish' programmes, like the one on the Scilly Islands etc. so it should not have been a surprise that the vicar and his work was the main focus! The format was exactly the same as the other programmes which also featured other 'characters'. Personally I think too much time was spent on the choir which did not come across as one of the best cruise choirs I have ever heard; Princess and P&O were much more in tune. However, all in all, the cruise appeared very similar to the Aurora world cruise I was on - for part of it only :( we enjoyed the series!

Then I must have missed them stating it was going to be in the same format as the 'parish'. (At what point did they state this???). However I believe people watching those programmes would know they had religious content. However the marketing for this program made no such references. To me, someone from the religious programmes section of the BBC fancied a three month cruise and invented a pitch to get one.

If you search for reviews on this program on the net, you will struggle to find any positive ones.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Then I must have missed them stating it was going to be in the same format as the 'parish'. (At what point did they state this???). However I believe people watching those programmes would know they had religious content. However the marketing for this program made no such references. To me, someone from the religious programmes section of the BBC fancied a three month cruise and invented a pitch to get one.

If you search for reviews on this program on the net, you will struggle to find any positive ones.

I read in the press that it was planned along the same lines as An Island Parish etc. while the filming was taking place. However, I think it would have been much better if the late Nigel Farrell, who produced and narrated four of the previous parish programmes, had been in charge. He was sadly missed by us at least.

First I knew of it being a religious program was when I spotted it at end of the credits on the last episode.

I forced myself to watch them all just in case anything of interest appeared - it didn't; thankfully I recorded them so could fast forward.

It was dreadful. I'm actually embarrassed to tell people I like cruise holidays after seeing that.

First I knew of it being a religious program was when I spotted it at end of the credits on the last episode.

I forced myself to watch them all just in case anything of interest appeared - it didn't; thankfully I recorded them so could fast forward.

It was dreadful. I'm actually embarrassed to tell people I like cruise holidays after seeing that.

I think it set the idea of a cruise vacation back 25 years. This wasnt butlins at sea, it was Rest Home at sea. Wait, maybe that will mean more bargains!

I think it set the idea of a cruise vacation back 25 years. This wasnt butlins at sea, it was Rest Home at sea. Wait, maybe that will mean more bargains!

Well, I am proud to say that I was on that ship and had my 3 seconds of fame on the TV and personally feel it has done no harm to cruising at all.

A few things we noted:

1. To a casual viewer or one taking the lead from the title, the prog seemed to be about a world cruise using the Vicar as a central figure on which to hinge the series. It was certainly not clear that this was a series looking at pastoral care.

2. A luxury, all-inclusive cruise? Really?

3. Is whoever decided the colour schemes for the ship's interior colour-blind?

4. Never in a million years.

Well, I am proud to say that I was on that ship and had my 3 seconds of fame on the TV and personally feel it has done no harm to cruising at all.

I dont believe it will harm Fred's existing client base. However it will out off new cruisers or those looking to switch from other lines. I know if I had seen that before our first cruise 6 or so years back I dont think I would have cruised.

Yeah, it should have been advertised as a religious programme! I find it a bit of an embarrassment to cruising to be honest, it does not reflect cruising at all. I am 37 and my partner is 54 and we've been cruising for 8 years, there is something for all ages and backgrounds to enjoy, for your info, we enjoy, eating, relaxing, plenty of wine and good company and no early mornings! This looked like it was all about the bluddy vicar and the choir, I found it a little condescending to be honest. I still enjoyed watching it though, made me chuckle in parts ha! :D

Yeah, it should have been advertised as a religious programme! I find it a bit of an embarrassment to cruising to be honest, it does not reflect cruising at all. I am 37 and my partner is 54 and we've been cruising for 8 years, there is something for all ages and backgrounds to enjoy, for your info, we enjoy, eating, relaxing, plenty of wine and good company and no early mornings! This looked like it was all about the bluddy vicar and the choir, I found it a little condescending to be honest. I still enjoyed watching it though, made me chuckle in parts ha! :D

It was advertised as a religious programme featuring the life of a vicar on a world cruise and I personally think your swear word reference to the vicar is completely uncalled for.

It was advertised as a religious programme featuring the life of a vicar on a world cruise and I personally think your swear word reference to the vicar is completely uncalled for.

It was not advertised as a religious programme, at least not outwardly, sorry if my deliberately misspelled swear word offended you. We are all entitled to our opinion. :)

Christ almighty be careful what you say on here or the vicar/old fogey cruise line police will be out to make your life hell! Sorry, tongue in cheek, but I agree, it's a total embarrassment to cruising and was not advertised appropriately. It should have been on a Sunday afternoon in the church slot. But like I said before and I'm not afraid to say it, I enjoyed watching it for cringe value alone.. ;)

Sorry if that post offended, it wasn't meant to, but I feel this thread is a particularly sensitive one. We don't all want religion shoving in our faces or be made to feel that by making a joke on here it is offending others, but I feel that is the case on here. I was pretty upset by someone's reaction to my post, hence the backlash. However it's a free country and I thoroughly enjoyed this programme even though it embarrassed me as a member of the cruise community...not a reflection of cruising at all....

Christ almighty be careful what you say on here or the vicar/old fogey cruise line police will be out to make your life hell! Sorry, tongue in cheek, but I agree, it's a total embarrassment to cruising and was not advertised appropriately. It should have been on a Sunday afternoon in the church slot. But like I said before and I'm not afraid to say it, I enjoyed watching it for cringe value alone.. ;)

I enjoyed the programme. I have done lots of cruises on lots of cruise lines but never on Fred. The programme would not put me off travelling with Fred but the older ships well might. Did the Aurora world cruise (just a couple of segments :( ) and it was quite similar in parts but we thoroughly enjoyed it and would do it again. No vicar but lots of similar activities which we did not take part in. Used the cruise to visit a lot of ports on our cruise wish list.

Incidentally the programme was shown in the same sort of timeslot as the previous 'Parish' series - they were never shown on a Sunday.

I tried to watch it but it wasn't my cup of tea. On the vicar point, I'm not sure that simply the presence of a vicar in a programme automatically puts it in the religious category.

No but it allows a camera crew, director and producer from the Religious department of the BBC to go on a world cruise!

Archived