Adventure or jewel?

I am sure this was asked and answered at one time but I am looking for some fresh opinions. I am booked on AOS, southern Caribbean, February 2014 I am now second guessing and thinking of switching to Jewel of the sea. We were just on explorer and loved it! Any opinions?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Adventure is going to be just like Explorer (more or less). If you're looking to see what else is available, Jewel would be a choice.

Jewel is smaller, less people but with that comes less entertainment if that is what you like doing. I'm booked on Brilliance this December which is a sister to Jewel and am looking forward to it. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the bigger ships.

In all honesty though, if you're booked, stick with it. You'll have a great time either way.

I am sure this was asked and answered at one time but I am looking for some fresh opinions. I am booked on AOS, southern Caribbean, February 2014 I am now second guessing and thinking of switching to Jewel of the sea. We were just on explorer and loved it! Any opinions?

If you loved Explorer, then you will love Adventure because the ships are virtually identical.

Hi fellow Long Islander! (Massapequa here)

We were just on Jewel, and it was our first time on a ship that's smaller than Voyager-class. Although the ship was very beautiful, lots of glass, open-air seating in the WJ, etc, we REALLY missed the Royal Promenade as an evening entertainment venue. Events (like the Captain's reception) were held in a small lounge instead, and just were nearly as exciting or special. Other events were held in the Centrum, which has a tiny floor area, and then extends upward onto overlooking balconies (which we found very dizzying to look down onto the Centrum floor). We usually really enjoy the production shows, but the ones on Jewel weren't very good at all.

I don't think I'd choose a Radiance class ship again, especially if there is a larger alternative doing a similar itinerary.

I had exactly the opposite feeling as Donna expressed when trying a Radiance Class ship. I'd previously sailed on only Voyager and Freedom class ships. I preferred the itinerary of the Radiance class ship to the Voyager class alternative (Adventure versus Serenade), and the cruise was very port intensive, so I booked the smaller ship and braced for the disappointment.

I was pleasantly surprised. I LIKED having the events in smaller venues. For example, Quest in Studio B is much more of a spectator event. With the exception of the occasional contribution to the cause (a bra, lipstick, set of false teeth), the majority of passengers merely WATCH the game. In the Safari Lounge, teams of six passengers were created. Those who WANTED to be spectators/contributors could choose to do so. But those who wanted to PLAY were added to these small teams. It was SO MUCH more fun and we got to know people who were assigned to our small team. We had a blast! The 70s party in the Centrum? It's one of our favorite events and we dress for the occasion. We arrived very early and were right in the middle of the action. Because we were dressed in 70s clothes, I suspect a lot of people thought we were crew! We got to dance WITH the Village People, rather than merely WATCHING the action from below, as is the case on the Royal Promenade.

Donna is correct that the shows on the smaller class ships are not the same. You won't find Chicago or Hairspray. However, on many of the Radiance ships, the new aerial act in the Centrum looks amazing. (You can find a video on YouTube.) Not sure if it's on Jewel yet, however.

The other thing we liked about the Radiance Class ships is that, traveling during the school year, there are very few young kids. I was cruising with my 22 year old daughter and even she remarked about how much nicer it was to enjoy the pool area with only adults. (No slight to families. I've cruised with my kids when they were younger. However, on the particular cruise I'm referencing, it was just myself and my adult daughter and it was nice to have a more adult experience.)

As others have said, both are GREAT, GREAT ships and FANTASTIC itineraries. You'll have a terrific time either way. I tend to agree with G85 SS. If you're already booked on Adventure, stay where you are and try out a different class of ship next time.

It's a win-win!! I recently chose Jewel over Oasis for my honeymoon, because I wanted a smaller intimate feel with loads less children running around. Plus the itinerary on Jewel was much better in my opinion since I have only been to one of the ports of call. A decision like this is truely up to you, if you are travelling with kids I would say choose Adventure, there is more for them to do. If this is a relaxing getaway I would choose Jewel. Either way you're cruising!!

We love the Radiance class for the glass/brass, just a beautiful design. However, we choose Adventure for April 2015 b/c we have been on Jewel and not been on Adventure so decided to go that route instead. We love the promenade also that the Voyager Class and above have. Also will be nice to be on a bigger ship out of San Juan for once. So really looking forward to it.

As said above Adventure is pretty much identical to Explorer. Our first 7 cruises were all on Explorer and or the larger Freedom class ships. Adventure three times.

Last March we decided to shake it up and sailed on Brilliance. We were concerned we'd miss the Royal Promenade. We didn't!:) We loved the ship, and are booked on her sister ship Jewel for next year.

Both classes of ship are great. Unless you feel a royal promenade is essential, I'd decide based on the ports. Both I believe would have 5 port stops, so either way there's only one sea day on the ship.

We just returned from a cruise on the Adventure and I can tell you that throughout the ship the service was fantastic. Customer service was wonderful throughout.

We were very pleased :)

Hey all, I want to thank you for all your input. Many good points. After reading and discussing I believe we will stick with AOS. No matter what ship we will be in the southern Caribbean in February on a beautiful ship. We will try another ship next time, hopefully many more cruises to come.

Archived