Priceless......... Truly

sail7seas

We enjoy HAL as well and have booked yet another. However, we have noticed in the past couple of years that the staff, while always wonderful and pleasant to the pax, also appear to be tired and overworked...

Kind of puts a 'downer' on having a great time when it appears other individuals are suffering. Some of them talk about how much they miss their family. You can see the anguish in their eyes - it's heartbreaking...

Surely, Not Twinkle? :eek:

We last saw her on Maasdam and it was a joy sailing with her again.

But it is no surprise for well trained, excellent crew to switch cruise lines IMO They go where they get the best contract, maybe they married and spouse is with the other line, maybe the schedule worked better for them, were promised they could sail a particular itinerary....... any number of reasons.

But I well can understand your joy to meet up with a crew friend on whichever ship. :)

The lady who remembered us was Myra. She sat down with my wife and I one day later in the cruise and we tried to compare notes on when and where we first met. We were pretty sure we met the first time on the Ryndam and then later on the Volendam and Oosterdam based on the years and specific months we'd been on HAL and her remembrance of her contracts. Myra got senior enough within HAL to be one of the "shakeout crew and staff" leaders that moved from new ship to new ship getting it up and operating and training the new staff. She started that with the introduction of the Vista class and stayed with HAL until the last new ship. Asked why she left she said she was looking for shorter contracts and higher pay plus other undefined benefits which she got with Silversea. Actually chatted with the CD about that, not specifically about Myra just the company's hiring and training program, and he said they trained their own butlers and waiters but weren't above hiring highly qualified staff from other lines. While we didn't meet them all according to Myra there were half a dozen ex-HAL employees on the ship. She said they all were in service positions so that's about 5% of the staff. Also should add she remembered my drink after all those years!

Lots of nice memories on HAL.

The last cruise really picked me up to cure what was ailing me;)

With the impending big birthday (which I was dreading) - I forgot all about it as we enjoyed the fabulous itinerary, wonderful crew and our great room.

It was a 'one of a kind' cruise with a 'one in a kind' roll call and we truly enjoyed it.

The crew were happy, upbeat and a pleasure to be with. I was a little concerned as I knew a lot were ending their contract after the Grand Voyage - turned out to be it was all for naught:)

...Late in March, the 26th to be exact, he told me it was really sore and swollen and agreed to a doctor visit. The doctor checked it out and figured it was an ingrown nail, did some digging, sent us away with antibiotics and we had an appointment on the 28th. The hand swelling went down but the finger swelling increased and by the time we got to the appointment DH didn't know who he was, who I was, etc. We were sent to the hospital, had tests (everything came back normal) and he was admitted. Saturday he went to the OR to have the finger drained and it ended up being amputated - strep infection. It was May 8 - his 73rd birthday before he came home. It involved 2 different hospital stays as well as a convalescent center and rehab...

If I were you, I'd STRONGLY consider getting a more competent doctor.

Scott & Karen

I first sailed on the Rotterdam in 1980. It took 30 years before I could sail again and it was to celebrate my 50th. It was again on the Rotterdam. After that trip my DH and I have been hooked. Yes each cruise could be better in some way, so could life off ship, life happens. I wouldn't give up any of the memories and friends that we have met along the way. I still have great memories of the staff and their friendliness and their help to ensure a nice vacation.

Sail, I hope that we meet one day. I would like to hear about some of your adventures on board.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I haven't been on too many cruises yet, more to come I hope! I just love sailing along, visiting interesting ports, meeting interesting people. It's very fulfilling. I always remember how lucky I am to be able to afford cruise vacations. I was not in a position to do these lovely holidays in the past, as I had other obligations to attend to. I've only been on HAL and Celebrity - didn't enjoy Celebrity as much. Beautiful ship (Solstice) though. We've had suites, verandahs, and a perfectly awful inside cabin once - but loved our cruise all the same :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Priceless for us, too. Not always perfect, certainly not always able to occupy a Neptune suite, but every cruse memorable for the best of reasons.

If polled for a single memory it would be crew-related, but there are so many wonderful instances and events that I couldn't pull one out, I don't think.

Thanks, Sail, for thinking of a great topic.

indeed, sail, hal once provided me with all i expected and wanted; that's the reason hal became my 'line of choice.' but, sadly, no more, not in the past three or four years. higher prices, fewer amenities, reduced services, poorer shipboard environment, lower food standards in mdr and lido, and just an attitude of little 'caring,' and awful jr.high-level entertainment in the bars and show room, not to mention the absence of good live music on the decks, and the annoying and irritating cd-loops piped in everywhere, as many on this board have mentioned. maybe you don't notice these things in the rarified atmosphere of the elite, but a lot of us do, who love hal and are not so fortunate as you. please try to understand.

Why do you come to these boards? All you do is complain. I know some people are over eager cheerleaders and it can be annoying, but you do the opposite and it is also annoying. Don't sail HAL anymore, find a line you do like and post over there.

Why do you come to these boards? All you do is complain. I know some people are over eager cheerleaders and it can be annoying, but you do the opposite and it is also annoying. Don't sail HAL anymore, find a line you do like and post over there.
Amen!! :)

Thanks, everyone, for all the comments. I hoped CC'ers would share their thoughts. HAL really is very special for many of us..... the people of HAL are what make our cruises more special.

Thanks, everyone, for all the comments. I hoped CC'ers would share their thoughts. HAL really is very special for many of us..... the people of HAL are what make our cruises more special.

I am about to reach my four star status, and still can't find a negative word to say about HAL. I've been cruising since 1973, mostly with HAL, and see no reason to quit. What minor issues I've had in the past with HAL have been quickly resolved and totally to my satisfaction. I keep coming back for two reasons, the extra comfortable and large cabins/balconies, and the warm and friendly Indonesian staff. I've never experienced a bad cruise, as it's entirely what I make of it!! Yep, I'm definitely a HAL cheerleader!!!

Not every cruise was perfect, we were not always absolutely delighted with our whole on board experience and not always tip top A-1 thrilled with some of the pre-cruise planning but in looking back now (as well as looking forward to more cruises), HAL has so much more than provided us with what we could not get elsewhere.

We turned to cruising and our friends on the ships at many times during our lives and HAL never let us down.

PRICELESS!!!!

How about you?

Has HAL, perhaps more than another cruise line, provided you with what you hoped for?

All our circumstances and situations are different but can you point to a cruise, a time when HAL was just what you needed to 'fix what ailed you'?

We have felt that way too, about different cruises on different cruise lines, and also about some wonderful non-cruise land trips.

All those experiences provided us with something that we could not get elsewhere at the time.

Each gave us just the "fix" we needed at the time -- as you say, PRICELESS!!!!.

It is kind of like having a special evening at a great seafood restaurant where the food and service are wonderful, we are warmly greeted by the staff and the ambiance is ideal for us.

But it does not mean we are going to limit ourselves and only keep going back to that same wonderful seafood restaurant all the time.

Sometimes we want to go to a great steak place, or Italian restaurant. Other times we are in the mood to go to a Mexican or Greek or Chinese restaurant, or just want a hamburger or hot dog.

Even when we want to have seafood again, sometimes we just want to try a different seafood restaurant. :)

We have felt that way too, about different cruises on different cruise lines, and also about some wonderful non-cruise land trips.

All those experiences provided us with something that we could not get elsewhere at the time.

Each gave us just the "fix" we needed at the time -- as you say, PRICELESS!!!!.

It is kind of like having a special evening at a great seafood restaurant where the food and service are wonderful, we are warmly greeted by the staff and the ambiance is ideal for us.

But it does not mean we are going to limit ourselves and only keep going back to that same wonderful seafood restaurant all the time.

Sometimes we want to go to a great steak place, or Italian restaurant. Other times we are in the mood to go to a Mexican or Greek or Chinese restaurant, or just want a hamburger or hot dog.

Even when we want to have seafood again, sometimes we just want to try a different seafood restaurant. :)

And that is perfect....... for you.

For us, we love that comfort and familiarity. We know what to expect and how to expect it.

We each do what works best for us. The trick is to know yourself well enough to know what is best and do what suits you the most. How lucky are we to have those choices. :)

When I was having a very serious surgery, I brought just a few things to the hospital with me and among those few articles were a postcard of Maasdan and one of Noordam. I placed them in my night table drawer and when the going got rough, those photos gave me much comfort and the extra push I needed to do what was necessary for me to recover well enough to sail those beautiful ships again. :) That is what works for me (and DH).

indeed, sail, hal once provided me with all i expected and wanted; that's the reason hal became my 'line of choice.' but, sadly, no more, not in the past three or four years. higher prices, fewer amenities, reduced services, poorer shipboard environment, lower food standards in mdr and lido, and just an attitude of little 'caring,' and awful jr.high-level entertainment in the bars and show room, not to mention the absence of good live music on the decks, and the annoying and irritating cd-loops piped in everywhere, as many on this board have mentioned. maybe you don't notice these things in the rarified atmosphere of the elite, but a lot of us do, who love hal and are not so fortunate as you. please try to understand.

So Dr.dawg: what do you "love" about HAL and why do you come back?

All, we show up for our cruise with certain expectations. This may because of the lifestyle we live or just because we paid quite a bit for the trip, point is that expectations vary. My DW and I go so that we can just relax and enjoy the experience and the time together. If we don't find something to our liking we simply avoid it. We sail understanding that we are only a small part of the demographic aboard ship. If I find something that is offensive to me then I have the choice to present it to the staff. I find that a pleasant presentation gets more results. If the problem is not rectified to my satisfaction ( I need to be reasonable) I can chalk it up to experience and vote with my shoes. IMHO cruises and life are about choices and how we handle the outcome.

All, we show up for our cruise with certain expectations. This may because of the lifestyle we live or just because we paid quite a bit for the trip, point is that expectations vary. My DW and I go so that we can just relax and enjoy the experience and the time together. If we don't find something to our liking we simply avoid it. We sail understanding that we are only a small part of the demographic aboard ship. If I find something that is offensive to me then I have the choice to present it to the staff. I find that a pleasant presentation gets more results. If the problem is not rectified to my satisfaction ( I need to be reasonable) I can chalk it up to experience and vote with my shoes. IMHO cruises and life are about choices and how we handle the outcome.

well said:)

We have never sailed on HAL but will be on the Rotterdam in January. We have only taken three cruise (Carnival, Princess and NCL) and always in a balcony. I have discovered that just sitting on my balcony watching the ocean will cure whatever ails me. Everything else is a bonus.

I found the familiar, coming home type of feeling you get on a HAL ship to be particularly comforting when we took a quick cruise to Alaska when my son was so sick two summers ago. We had a window between the end of the miseries of chemo and the new miseries associated with a stem cell transplant.

It was as though all our troubles were left on land and couldn't touch us out to sea. We took an upsell to a Neptune Suite for that cruise as part of the pampering and soothing that we needed. It was nothing to do with being elite, as one poster said, but rather money well spent on therapy. HAL provided a seamless experience for us. Things are etched in your memory more when they are experienced at time of great stress.

We plan to return to Alaska next year and perhaps take in more than we did last time when we were really shell shocked and didn't appreciate the beauty as much as we could have.

My son continues to do extremely well after making a complete recovery. We are all very optimistic for the future.

And that is something we are pleased to hear.

Thank you, Ruth. It all seems like a bad dream now.

To change the subject, it is so blessed hot here right now I would welcome a cruise on a garbage scow. Well maybe not that drastic ----let's say a Carnival ship. I imagine you are suffering too as most of our weather comes up from the Boston States.

I found the familiar, coming home type of feeling you get on a HAL ship to be particularly comforting when we took a quick cruise to Alaska when my son was so sick two summers ago. We had a window between the end of the miseries of chemo and the new miseries associated with a stem cell transplant.

It was as though all our troubles were left on land and couldn't touch us out to sea. We took an upsell to a Neptune Suite for that cruise as part of the pampering and soothing that we needed. It was nothing to do with being elite, as one poster said, but rather money well spent on therapy. HAL provided a seamless experience for us. Things are etched in your memory more when they are experienced at time of great stress.

We plan to return to Alaska next year and perhaps take in more than we did last time when we were really shell shocked and didn't appreciate the beauty as much as we could have.

My son continues to do extremely well after making a complete recovery. We are all very optimistic for the future.

I can't believe that two years have gone by already, and so happy he is doing well. I'm sure our other cruiser friend takes hope from your post, being in the same situation now as you were then. And I agree about the feeling when you get onto a HAL ship, it is kind of comforting, and familiar, and just "aaaaaahhhhh":D

To change the subject, it is so blessed hot here right now I would welcome a cruise on a garbage scow. Well maybe not that drastic ----let's say a Carnival ship. I imagine you are suffering too as most of our weather comes up from the Boston States.

Er, New England states. ;)

Yes, we are on our 4th day of an official heat wave. Even staying indoors, with the A/C cranked and the fans running, isn't enough. We don't expect relief until next Saturday.

I want to be in Norway!!! Greenland!!! Somewhere cold!!!

Archived