Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I recently completed my eighth solo cruise back in January on Celebrity Silhouette. I have four upcoming cruises which two will be solo and the others with a group. I've never cruised with anyone before. This should be interesting. Good thing I have my own room. That's a must. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm retiring March 31, 2017 at age 61, and am looking forward to solo cruising. I love solo travel. I live in St. Thomas now, and originally from Massachusetts and am particularly looking for last minute solo deals out of San Juan as it's a cheap flight from here. So excited. Empty nesting, separated in process of divorce and very very happy. Live each moment, could get hit by a truck any moment. I'm really looking forward to the freedom to pick up and go for that last minute deal. No wait to have vacation time approved..... If your cruise stops in St. Thomas, feel free to contact me. Boston/Salem MA as well. I can give you local advice. LOL.

I don't mind traveling alone. Of course, some people think I'm crazy. I tell them that I have fun and have met some great people while traveling. The key is pre planning and being open to meeting people if you want. I also like my me time and not having to deal with everyone's schedule. I like to be free to do or do nothing on my time.

My next solo cruise is weeks away April 9 for 10 days on the Royal Princess. I've been sailing Celebrity so it'll be nice to return home to princess. I've been upgraded to a mini suite which is the icing on the cake! Anyone out there sailing with me?

I'm off on my first solo adventure 5/7 for a transpacific cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver.

I decided after trying to convince people to go with me that I can do this on my own and have great time.

And besides, aren't there thousands of people on the boat? I think there'll be plenty of opportunity to make friends.

I do not see much info on solo cruising on a river cruise here. Are there many solo cruisers in that venue?

My TA called a few weeks ago to say Avalon is waiving the solo supplement on select Mekong River cruises of Vietnam and Cambodia. So I have booked for Nov. 16, 2018. Land and cruise plus extension to Bangkok. I believe only 3 cabins are slotted for this waiver. Small ship....I should be able to blend in fine.

I do not see much info on solo cruising on a river cruise here. Are there many solo cruisers in that venue?

My TA called a few weeks ago to say Avalon is waiving the solo supplement on select Mekong River cruises of Vietnam and Cambodia. So I have booked for Nov. 16, 2018. Land and cruise plus extension to Bangkok. I believe only 3 cabins are slotted for this waiver. Small ship....I should be able to blend in fine.

Good morning, I took my first river cruise last year and it was FANTASTIC:D.......mine was on AMA Waterways and the

itinerary was called "TULIPTIME":).....sailed Amsterdam roundtrip with stops in Belgium and the Netherlands. As for the

amount of solo guests? The river cruise ships are very small and most everyone is very friendly (In my case) it was very

easy to meet people. Having other solo passengers on board is not important to me. Oh, one other thing, many of the

River Cruiselines offer waiving of the single supplements on certain cabin categories.....AMA does it too.

Your itinerary sounds really exotic and I hope you have a wonderful time:)

Good morning, I took my first river cruise last year and it was FANTASTIC:D.......mine was on AMA Waterways and the

itinerary was called "TULIPTIME":).....sailed Amsterdam roundtrip with stops in Belgium and the Netherlands. As for the

amount of solo guests? The river cruise ships are very small and most everyone is very friendly (In my case) it was very

easy to meet people. Having other solo passengers on board is not important to me. Oh, one other thing, many of the

River Cruiselines offer waiving of the single supplements on certain cabin categories.....AMA does it too.

Your itinerary sounds really exotic and I hope you have a wonderful time:)

Thank you Lois R. Yes it is a bit exotic, but in this world I feel, that if Asia calls me, it is better to do it while I am younger. I did not even ask or offer it as a suggestion to a ny friend as it is costly and unique in a way that it would not appeal to many. I think it is the dining anxiety that makes me question this choice...not the air travel alone or day time excursions. But facing a dining room, where I look friendless or the fifth wheel makes me rather lose my appetite! I have read the thread on this theme and I feel better now about the "walk" toward the DRoom.

Thank you Lois R. Yes it is a bit exotic, but in this world I feel, that if Asia calls me, it is better to do it while I am younger. I did not even ask or offer it as a suggestion to a ny friend as it is costly and unique in a way that it would not appeal to many. I think it is the dining anxiety that makes me question this choice...not the air travel alone or day time excursions. But facing a dining room, where I look friendless or the fifth wheel makes me rather lose my appetite! I have read the thread on this theme and I feel better now about the "walk" toward the DRoom.

Good morning:)...I can give you my experiences and if you want some friendly advice? First, River cruises are so easy

to meet other people....I don't know the deckplan of your ship but on AMA there is a lounge area that is has very comforting

feel to it.....easy to chat with others and many, many times I would eat dinner with folks I was chatting with earlier.

Also, I realize everyone is not as outgoing as I am but I will tell you most folks are quite friendly:).....please don't feel

like you will be a 5th wheel.....(or try not to anyway).

I remember there were 3 gals traveling together.......actually a Mom and her 2 daughters. We ate together a few evenings. A couple of

other nights I ate with a really nice couple I met as well. And also, remember most of the tours are very small and you can meet

folks on them too:) if you chat with them, you can maybe meet them later and have dinner together. (just a suggestion).

Doing a first solo cruise RT from Barcelona on NCL Epic May 14-21, 2017. Anyone else on the same ship?

Asked friends if they wanted to go, but no one was able to go. Why wait for others?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Forums mobile app

You may want to do it later on the same ship same itinerary but from May 28th, 2017. There will be a group of solo cruisers on that ship. Check out singles cruise on vacations to go website. You can join them for fun and they can match you with another person to share the cabin, if you want. I took a studio cabin n went with them in 2015. It was a lot of fun. I got to know a whole bunch of them prior to the cruise on the FB group for this particular sail. Then when I went on the ship, it was like meeting old friends. These friends last forever. I went back and cruised with them to other places ever since.

Well I just booked a cruise around the British islands 12 nights on Caribbean Princess for May 13th. I did have to pay double but they had dropped the price and I was able to get airfare at a good price so I decided to just book it. I have never been to the British Islands and have been looking at this for 4 years. I'll be in an extended balcony on the 10th deck. It was just a few dollars more then the regular balcony so I took it!

I plan to stay 3 nights pre-cruise so I can see the sights in and around London. I can hardly wait! Now I have to start booking the excursions I want to do. This is a very port intensive cruise. I would have taken an inside for this cruise but I'd have only saved $400 and decided to go for broke!:cool:

This will be my 8th solo cruise. I have another cruise for Sept 10th out of New Orleans but I'll be taking my Aunt on that one. She has never been on a cruise.

Happy solo sailing everyone! :D

I recently booked my first solo cruise on the Jewel of the Seas for a 9 night Med cruise in 2018.

The studio cabins are outrageous but single occupancy in an inside isn't bad.

Just a heads up for anyone looking at a future Med cruise......

Well I just booked a cruise around the British islands 12 nights on Caribbean Princess for May 13th. I did have to pay double but they had dropped the price and I was able to get airfare at a good price so I decided to just book it. I have never been to the British Islands and have been looking at this for 4 years. I'll be in an extended balcony on the 10th deck. It was just a few dollars more then the regular balcony so I took it!

I plan to stay 3 nights pre-cruise so I can see the sights in and around London. I can hardly wait! Now I have to start booking the excursions I want to do. This is a very port intensive cruise. I would have taken an inside for this cruise but I'd have only saved $400 and decided to go for broke!:cool:

This will be my 8th solo cruise. I have another cruise for Sept 10th out of New Orleans but I'll be taking my Aunt on that one. She has never been on a cruise.

Happy solo sailing everyone! :D

I want to do a British Isles cruise......this one sounds lovely but I can't go this year. (I am going on a cruise to Europe

in August). I was researching British Isles cruises for 2018 and cannot find any:eek:

Upcoming cruise schedule looking good! Solo cruising addict, wish i discovered it sooner!

Norwegian Epic June 14 '17

Norwegian Bliss Transatlantic April 21 '18

Norwegian Bliss Vancouver - LA Sep 30 '18

Norwegian Bliss LA -Mexican Riviera Oct 5 '18

I want to do a British Isles cruise......this one sounds lovely but I can't go this year. (I am going on a cruise to Europe

in August). I was researching British Isles cruises for 2018 and cannot find any:eek:

I don't know when Princess posts their cruises for each year. I had been watching this one for a while hoping one would go down because i hardly ever see a solo discount from Princess. There were 2 that went down low enough for me to jump on it along with the airfare. Still had to pay double but at least it was nearly 1/2 what it had been. The airfare was at 1/2 what it usually is as well so I just had to go for it.

Linda H